Football
Sponsored by

Gang rapes in Az...

4,006 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tommy_Lou_Ramsower
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So many parallels with Az and Rich Rod to what BU and CAB have been accused of...minus the national outcry...it only makes local news

Wildcats football players gang-raped female students and staffers, amended lawsuit claims

By Caitlin Schmidt Arizona Daily Star Feb 22, 2018 Updated 3 min ago
Arizona Wildcats football meet the team
BUY NOW
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Star

An amendment to a federal lawsuit filed against the University of Arizona claims that Wildcats football players gang-raped female students and support-staffers in the years leading up to former running back Orlando Bradford's 2016 arrest for choking his girlfriend. No additional details were immediately available, including the identities of the parties involved.

The lawsuit, originally filed in October by attorneys Lauren Groth, Kimberly Hult and David Shughart, claims that multiple UA employees knew that Bradford was abusive to women but failed to take action to stop him. Bradford was ultimately arrested in connection with 15 domestic violence-related offenses after two ex-girlfriends came forward to police to say that he'd repeatedly hit and choked them.

In November, Bradford was sentenced to five years in prison. He admitted in open court to choking each of the two women.

Nearly a year before his arrest, another Bradford ex-girlfriend called campus police to say that he was outside her dorm room. The woman told campus police, with a senior associate athletic director present, that Bradford had choked her in the past. After a short investigation, the case was closed with no charges filed.

Campus officials issued a "no contact" order to Bradford and the woman and moved him off campus. Bradford's new roommates, also football players, watched and did nothing as he abused the other two women over the ensuing months, police reports stated.

The recent amendment to the federal lawsuit, one of two filed against the school by Bradford's victims, says the program encouraged staff to disregard federal laws surround domestic violence and sexual assault, and "promoted the success of the football program at the expense of the safety of female students on campus."

Coach Rich Rodriguez was fired on Jan. 2, the same day a $7.5 million notice of claim filed by his former assistant was made public.

The permissive culture in Arizona's football program led to "rampant" sexual harassment and sexual assaults, including the gang rapes, the lawsuit says.

"Although UA received reports of this sexual harassment and violence, little, if anything, was done to stop it and/or take prompt action to redress the harassment, particularly if corrective action might have negatively impacted the potential success of the football program," the lawsuit says.

The UA's failure to take action against Bradford made it possible for the running back to physically and verbally abuse the woman who filed the lawsuit, a student photographer in the athletic department, the lawsuit says.

The initial filing claimed that the UA violated the woman's Title IX rights, a federal law that protects students from sex discrimination, by showing indifference to the substantial risk of harm Bradford posed.

The amended suit adds a second claim, saying that the university was deliberately indifferent to a hostile educational environment.

MrGolfguy
Where the hell is Bob Ley? Somebody wake his ass up.
Russell Gym
No need. Not a flagship Christian P5 school.
RealLarryDon
Move along. Nothing to see here. Arizona ain't keeping Texas from winning a conference championship, nor keeping ESPN from making money off the Longhorn Network.
Mitch Blood Green
I thought you had to be "jumped in" to be in a gang.
80sBEAR
RealLarryDon said:

Move along. Nothing to see here. Arizona ain't keeping Texas from winning a conference championship, nor keeping ESPN from making money off the Longhorn Network.
Good post, LarryDon. I would also bet their Board of Regents isn't going to feed made up stats to the National New Media and throw their entire football team under the bus to deflect from their own failures.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Surf Oso
80sBEAR said:

RealLarryDon said:

Good post, LarrDon. I would also bet their Board of Regents isn't going to feed made up stats to the National New Media and throw their entire football team under the bus to deflect from their own failures.
that is not what LarryDon said.

He's saying that Texas is behind all of our BS and now TCU's "issues". Since Texas is not affected by Arizona, we won't be seeing an OTL primetime special and Stephen A Smith spouting off every 10 seconds about them.
Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm
80sBEAR
Surf Oso said:

80sBEAR said:

RealLarryDon said:

Good post, LarrDon. I would also bet their Board of Regents isn't going to feed made up stats to the National New Media and throw their entire football team under the bus to deflect from their own failures.

He's saying that Texas is behind all of our BS and now TCU's "issues". Since Texas is not affected by Arizona, we won't be seeing an OTL primetime special and Stephen A Smith spouting off every 10 seconds about them.
I understand, Sir. There were two separate motivations in play for Baylor. Actually three:

1.) Baylor beating bluebloods UT and OU on a regular basis was unacceptable
2.) The small number of controlling BU Regents loathed Ken Starr and saw their opportunity to fire him.
3.) The small number of controlling Bu Regents and the remaining silent potted plants on the BOR continued to make the scandal all about football at the expense of the reputation of our entire school to protect themselves.

Fascinating to me that our burning down the Baylor house all started with a former Baylor Regent leaking tidbits from "the scandal" to University of Texas blogger Chip Brown. It was this Regent and Brown that lit the first match for this firestorm.
-- Dr. David Garland
blackie
The media and the public was provided an ultimate opportunity to shed a huge spotlight on the problem of sexual assault on college campuses across the country because of our situation and actually bring some good from our failings. But they were so giddy about putting Baylor back in it's place they ignored asking the question of "I wonder where else this is a problem?" Probably because they were afraid or knew of what they might find in their own closets or those of their idol teams to which they bow down.

Now it is starting to show up across the country, and the media basically just ignores it......unless they hear another story out of Waco. Their true intent is so obvious. Keep the big boys protected. Who really cares about victims as long as the blue bloods keep raking in the dough? Really disgusting and hypocritical.
Surf Oso
80sBEAR said:

Surf Oso said:

80sBEAR said:

RealLarryDon said:

I understand, Sir. There were two separate motivations in play for Baylor. Actually three:

2.) The small number of controlling BU Regents loathed Ken Starr and saw their opportunity to fire him.
3.) The small number of controlling Bu Regents and the remaining silent potted plants on the BOR continued to make the scandal all about football at the expense of the reputation of our entire school to protect themselves.

Fascinating to me that our burning down the Baylor house all started with a former Baylor Regent leaking tidbits from "the scandal" to University of Texas blogger Chip Brown. It was this Regent and Brown that lit the first match for this firestorm.
Chip sure has a Buddy who's in at Baylor alright. Also, I find it highly irregular that two lower level Texas Monthly reporters happened upon our situation.

I'm not saying BU nor the admin nor football staff are choir boys, but as we are seeing, this is an issue across the country and MSU was the worst yet I don't see Stephen A Smith calling for that particular institution to get the death penalty.
Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm
Forest Bueller
blackie said:

The media and the public was provided an ultimate opportunity to shed a huge spotlight on the problem of sexual assault on college campuses across the country because of our situation and actually bring some good from our failings. But they were so giddy about putting Baylor back in it's place they ignored asking the question of "I wonder where else this is a problem?" Probably because they were afraid or knew of what they might find in their own closets or those of their idol teams to which they bow down.

Now it is starting to show up across the country, and the media basically just ignores it......unless they hear another story out of Waco. Their true intent is so obvious. Keep the big boys protected. Who really cares about victims as long as the blue bloods keep raking in the dough? Really disgusting and hypocritical.
Yep
bear2be2
Surf Oso said:

80sBEAR said:

Surf Oso said:

80sBEAR said:

RealLarryDon said:

Chip sure has a Buddy who's in at Baylor alright. Also, I find it highly irregular that two lower level Texas Monthly reporters happened upon our situation.

I'm not saying BU nor the admin nor football staff are choir boys, but as we are seeing, this is an issue across the country and MSU was the worst yet I don't see Stephen A Smith calling for that particular institution to get the death penalty.
Stephen A. Smith didn't, but someone on the same show did.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-First-Take-host-says-Michigan-State-deserves-death-penalty-114395284

We're not unique or special folks. We just gave the national media a smoking gun and got buried under the extra scrutiny by our own corruption and incompetence. Penn State, a blue blood program, and Michigan State, a large state school, did the same thing and met similar fates. And if this story in Arizona has enough legs, they will too.

Sexual assault on college campuses is definitely a cultural and societal issue that should be looked at on a broader scale. But media resources being what they are, it's almost impossible to take the type of in-depth look at every program you would need to to draw definitive conclusions. So instead, the national media follows the local, piggybacking off their work on the largest scandals and pouring their resources into those. Is that fair? No. But if you don't want to get raked over the coals like we have twice now in the past 15 years, either run a tighter program or don't get caught. My preference is the former.
xiledinok
It's all about tv. You pee on them and don't do what you are asked to do, they strike with venom.
Briles and the lazy ribbon clerk former athletic director weren't exactly good business partners after 15 years of producing no bowl money for the conference.
No conspiracy, just business. Our "conference savior" Starr was too busy not managing to realize it.
80sBEAR
xiledinok said:

It's all about tv. You pee on them and don't do what you are asked to do, they strike with venom.
Briles and the lazy ribbon clerk former athletic director weren't exactly good business partners after 15 years of producing no bowl money for the conference.
No conspiracy, just business. Our "conference savior" Starr was too busy not managing to realize it.
I have ALWAYS disagreed with you on this topic. ESPN never gave a rat's ass about Baylor's non-conference schedule. Last season, your two national championship game participants played Fresno State, Colorado State, Mercer, Appalachian State, and Samford (not Stanford).

In 2018, Alabama plays Arkansas State, UL Lafayette, and The Citadel. Georgia plays Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee State, and University of Massachusetts.

Hopefully Fox Southwest will pick up the Baylor vs. Angelo State game. Should be a real nail biter.
RioRata
xiledinok said:

Yep
CizzLark
There's about 200 comments on the thread on Reddit. I'm pretty sure our threads averaged about 8,000.
boognish_bear
Troubles on the b-ball side of the house too

80sBEAR
boognish_bear said:

Troubles on the b-ball side of the house too

Just 100k? That's it? LOL!!!!!!

-- Dr. David Garland
BUGWBBear
RealLarryDon said:

Well, they have the PAC-12....But ESBEGHEY loves that conference, so yeah.
BUGWBBear
Herm Edwards will be freaked when ASU goes under the microscope, next. Not that ESBEGHEY will review them either.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower
Somehow I can imagine Dick Vitale saying these exact words in the way that only Dick Vitale can say them.
"There were a number of us just crying out to God." - Baylor Regent Dennis Wiles

During the meeting, one of the regents started crying and pounding on the table, saying "Not my Baylor," and "Why do we have to listen to any more of this?"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.