Story Poster
Baylor Football

Baylor Pro-Testing Day Results

March 26, 2018

Several former Baylor players participated in the pro-testing day on Monday morning. Here are the final results including 40-yard dash times, height and weight measurements and bench press reps.

HT WT 40 BP VT SH (20) BJ
DB, Davion Hall 6-1.3 210 4.74 11 31.5 4.41 9'10
WR, Quan Jones 6-4.1 213 4.63 14 32 4.37 9'11
LB, Taylor Young 5-8.4 222 DNP 20 28 4.52 DNP
QB, Anu Solomon 6-0.2 207 4.81 DNP 30 4.23 9'5
DE, Brian Nance 6-1.6 253 5.28 DNP 24.5 4.5 8'10
OL, Mo Porter 6-5.3 305 5.27 17 27 4.72 8'8
DB, Taion Sells 5-8.5 180 4.75 16 32.5 4.51 10'4
OL, Tyrae Simmons 6-3.4 291 5.19 22 26 5.22 8'9
DE, KJ Smith 6-1.6 260 5.08 26 27.5 4.59 9'5
TE, Ish Wainright 6-3.7 258 5.02 13 33 4.88 9'8
DB, Chance Waz 5-10.3 181 4.78 DNP 30 4.32 9'3
OL, Ish Wilson 6-3.4 305 5.68 20 23 5.08 8'8

Discussion from...

Baylor Pro-Testing Day Results

18,893 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Forest Bueller
Forest Bueller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Besides maybe Quan Jones, because he is so tall, most of these measurables aren't too great.

2 of the OL also were pretty decent also, in Porter and Simmons. They might get a free agency look.
TrapIt4Life
These 40 times are uh...not great.
bearlyafarmer
TrapIt4Life said:

These 40 times are uh...not great.
Agreed. Hall's is a shocker.
boognish_bear
I thought Wainwright was taller than that
Dia del DougO
The really scary thing is that pro day 40s are usually faster than Combine 40s. Maybe Baylor IPF has a really slow track.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
Maybe KJ isn't quite at full speed. His bench is decent for his size. Somebody could still end up getting a real steal by giving him a tryout.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
Anybody have any idea where Blanchard is having or had his pro day? I'd be interested to see his stats.
EasyE
These measurables are really bad across the board and the majority spent most of their time while at BU with Kaz. Not to suggest Kaz wasn't good at what he did, but it seemed like all of our players combine and pro day numbers were quite underwhelming over the past few years. It's amazing that Brian Nance shrunk about 2" since he was recruited and apparently got MUCH slower.
Mitch Blood Green
EasyE said:

These measurables are really bad across the board and the majority spent most of their time while at BU with Kaz. Not to suggest Kaz wasn't good at what he did, but it seemed like all of our players combine and pro day numbers were quite underwhelming over the past few years. It's amazing that Brian Nance shrunk about 2" since he was recruited and apparently got MUCH slower.

I'd bet it's the other way. The preparation changed. 2/10ths is a big deal but easy to lose.
ImwithBU
EasyE said:

This is a product of the new system aka bulk up. Hard to keep speed when bulking unless u train that way. We train for power not speed. We have an inadequate strength coach now or the reason Johnston's dad was hired to "consult" under Kaz our players consistently had great numbers especially on our campus in a controlled environment
Forest Bueller
tommie said:

EasyE said:

I'd bet it's the other way. The preparation changed. 2/10ths is a big deal but easy to lose.

This.

They have been without him for a while. Anybody who has ever worked on speed knows you can lose a couple of tenths in a really short amount of time.

Kaz worked hard to maximize explosion and explosive speed. Just a slight change in the direction of the workout regimen can make this amount of difference in speed quickly.
EasyE
tommie said:

EasyE said:

So why did most of the other players who went through the combine while Kaz was here underperform as well. Seastrunk, Wright and others were much slower than anticipated. Billings strength tests were significantly lower than many thought, not to mention most of the others who went through combine drills. I think RG3 was about the only one who met expectations.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ImwithBU said:

EasyE said:

This is a product of the new system aka bulk up. Hard to keep speed when bulking unless u train that way. We train for power not speed. We have an inadequate strength coach now or the reason Johnston's dad was hired to "consult" under Kaz our players consistently had great numbers especially on our campus in a controlled environment
Not really. The only player with similar numbers remained with the new strength staff while the others trained at off-site locations.
ImwithBU
Brian Ethridge said:

ImwithBU said:

EasyE said:

Not really. The only player with similar numbers remained with the new strength staff while the others trained at off-site locations.

I think you misunderstood my point. These guys had an entire year of training under our new strength coach, the emphasis has been bulk up not speed under Kaz. Again bigger people are typically slower. Rhule and company made them "bigger" they did not focus on 40s. It's not a matter of there training for a couple of months after the season it's the year long training they had previously. Across the board our guys typically ran faster on pro days at Baylor as opposed to the combine. I would hate to see what scores these guys would have gotten at the combine in a pressure environment.
Again his strength guy is in over his head, we have entirely to many resources for the results we just watched at the proday

It all goes hand in hand. Worse record in a decades, least amount of NFL teams at proday and worse testing numbers in years
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ImwithBU said:

Brian Ethridge said:

ImwithBU said:

EasyE said:

I think you misunderstood my point. These guys had an entire year of training under our new strength coach, the emphasis has been bulk up not speed under Kaz. Again bigger people are typically slower. Rhule and company made them "bigger" they did not focus on 40s. It's not a matter of there training for a couple of months after the season it's the year long training they had previously. Across the board our guys typically ran faster on pro days at Baylor as opposed to the combine. I would hate to see what scores these guys would have gotten at the combine in a pressure environment.
Again his strength guy is in over his head, we have entirely to many resources for the results we just watched at the proday
If the bulk strength had been all his new guy is doing, then the bench numbers would have been higher.

The 40 had to be focused on as Porter dropped his from HS. Waz dropped his from HS. Quan dropped his from HS.

I get your point, you don't think Scott can do the job. You think Kent was brought in to fix it.

Penn State's players performed well. Temple players performed well. Why didn't this group under the same leadership?
bearlyafarmer
Brian Ethridge said:

ImwithBU said:

Brian Ethridge said:

ImwithBU said:

EasyE said:

If the bulk strength had been all his new guy is doing, then the bench numbers would have been higher.

The 40 had to be focused on as Porter dropped his from HS. Waz dropped his from HS. Quan dropped his from HS.

I get your point, you don't think Scott can do the job. You think Kent was brought in to fix it.

Penn State's players performed well. Temple players performed well. Why didn't this group under the same leadership?
My guess is that some are still demoralized by the BoR's refusal to combat (and in some cases actually fostering) the public perception of Briles' entire program as consisting of "bad dudes." The lack of clarity about Ogor's dismissal clearly shows that little, if anything, has changed in this regard. And let me be very clear; I'm not saying he should't have been dismissed.
ZatchZell
These 40 times are actually offensive.
BaylorProud77
what?????? No
bearlyafarmer
BaylorProud77 said:

what?????? No
Well, OK. Prepare for more of the same.
ImwithBU
bearlyafarmer said:

Brian Ethridge said:

ImwithBU said:

Brian Ethridge said:

ImwithBU said:

EasyE said:

My guess is that some are still demoralized by the BoR's refusal to combat (and in some cases actually fostering) the public perception of Briles' entire program as consisting of "bad dudes." The lack of clarity about Ogor's dismissal clearly shows that little, if anything, has changed in this regard. And let me be very clear; I'm not saying he should't have been dismissed.

Well they have had 4 or 5 years to have times faster than there high school times. I would hope they ran faster. I'm interested in what they times were eight before Briles left compared to now. As far as temple players and Penn State players I have no argument for that but I would be interested in seeing those players numbers compared to our previous player numbers under Kaz. I don't think the strength coach is in over his head but it may not be all his fault. The guys have bulked up so he is doing the job from that standpoint. You just need a true balance in this league. Prime example would be Corey Coleman 4.4 speed and 17 reps in bench presd
Quinton
I know its our guys but those numbers are really bad. Sunbelt level metrics. Im not surprised at some of the numbers from the db's as you could tell how over matched they were on the field but the others aren't a whole lot better.
xiledinok
If you watched them play defense, you shouldn't be suprised.
They have looked slow for years on defense.
CoachHBU2008
Yeah. The speed definitely isn't what it used to be with these prospects. Strength and conditioning wise, we are moving in a different direction and want to make guys bigger and stronger. The bench press seems to indicate that a little as well.

I wonder if there is more in depth coverage on how this went. Hopefully some of these young men find a team to take a chance on them. Especially Taylor. He reminds me of a faster version of London Fletcher. I feel if he can catch on to a squad, he may be able to find a place in this league. Size is an issue, but you cannot coach instinct and heart.

In other news, and this is totally off subject, where is Robert Griffin? For someone who wants badly back into this league, I don't feel like the effort on his end is being put forth. I might be wrong in that assessment but it sure feels that way. I am sure he is doing some things on his own like working on his skills and watching film; but I don't know why he wouldn't ask to be a part of the pro day so NFL teams can just keep him on the front of their minds.

Manziel does this at A&M, and even though he is not as talented as Griff, or has the NFL success that Griff had at a point, he went out there an put himself in at least a position to get considered. And he is a guy that by all merits shouldn't get another look, but he has made it a debate not only with talking heads but actual NFL decision makers. I just don't get the mentality and why Rob isn't doing the same. Is he just sitting back and waiting for someone to call him?

At this point he has to take the initiative and put the pressure on them to bring him in. Especially after turning down offers from a couple of clubs who wanted to bring him into the qb room this past preseason. I don't think he realizes the urgency in which he has to move. I heard of guys not playing for a year and getting back in the next. Circumstances sometimes creates this. But it's almost unheard of to be out two years and find your way back in the league. Especially at qb with no real film on being serviceable. NFL scouts at a certain point with players especially those who play the qb position, are less intrigued by a players athletic attributes and potential and are more worried about guys who can be a good arm, grasp systems quickly, and can be a good guy in the qb room. They aren't thinking about what he did in his rookie year anymore and wondering "if I can just mold him, this guy can be special." He is a camp arm. Not a young prospect. They aren't going to waste a spot on what a guy could be.

Pretty much what I am saying is that if he is out of sight, he is out of mind. As much as a d**che Johnny can present himself sometimes, he seems to have always been savvy enough to understand what teams are looking for from a presentation standpoint. He is at least making the effort, even willing to play in the CFL. When I hear the two players talk about how much they love and miss the game of football, why do I feel like a believe Johnny more than Griff? Manziel seems sincere and his actions prove it. Griff says this, but there always seem like there are stipulations to this statement. One that requires a team to consider him as a starter or give him the opportunity to compete for the starting job. No man! That ship has sailed. Just get your butt back in the league and compete your tail off to make a roster.

Just don't get it...
ImwithBU
CoachHBU2008 said:

Yeah. The speed definitely isn't what it used to be with these prospects. Strength and conditioning wise, we are moving in a different direction and want to make guys bigger and stronger. The bench press seems to indicate that a little as well.

I wonder if there is more in depth coverage on how this went. Hopefully some of these young men find a team to take a chance on them. Especially Taylor. He reminds me of a faster version of London Fletcher. I feel if he can catch on to a squad, he may be able to find a place in this league. Size is an issue, but you cannot coach instinct and heart.

In other news, and this is totally off subject, where is Robert Griffin? For someone who wants badly back into this league, I don't feel like the effort on his end is being put forth. I might be wrong in that assessment but it sure feels that way. I am sure he is doing some things on his own like working on his skills and watching film; but I don't know why he wouldn't ask to be a part of the pro day so NFL teams can just keep him on the front of their minds.

Manziel does this at A&M, and even though he is not as talented as Griff, or has the NFL success that Griff had at a point, he went out there an put himself in at least a position to get considered. And he is a guy that by all merits shouldn't get another look, but he has made it a debate not only with talking heads but actual NFL decision makers. I just don't get the mentality and why Rob isn't doing the same. Is he just sitting back and waiting for someone to call him?

At this point he has to take the initiative and put the pressure on them to bring him in. Especially after turning down offers from a couple of clubs who wanted to bring him into the qb room this past preseason. I don't think he realizes the urgency in which he has to move. I heard of guys not playing for a year and getting back in the next. Circumstances sometimes creates this. But it's almost unheard of to be out two years and find your way back in the league. Especially at qb with no real film on being serviceable. NFL scouts at a certain point with players especially those who play the qb position, are less intrigued by a players athletic attributes and potential and are more worried about guys who can be a good arm, grasp systems quickly, and can be a good guy in the qb room. They aren't thinking about what he did in his rookie year anymore and wondering "if I can just mold him, this guy can be special." He is a camp arm. Not a young prospect. They aren't going to waste a spot on what a guy could be.

Pretty much what I am saying is that if he is out of sight, he is out of mind. As much as a d**che Johnny can present himself sometimes, he seems to have always been savvy enough to understand what teams are looking for from a presentation standpoint. He is at least making the effort, even willing to play in the CFL. When I hear the two players talk about how much they love and miss the game of football, why do I feel like a believe Johnny more than Griff? Manziel seems sincere and his actions prove it. Griff says this, but there always seem like there are stipulations to this statement. One that requires a team to consider him as a starter or give him the opportunity to compete for the starting job. No man! That ship has sailed. Just get your butt back in the league and compete your tail off to make a roster.

Just don't get it...

I can sum it up in a short phrase. Sense of entitlement. If you truly Want to start or be in a position to win the starting job then go compete. No one cares about what u did at Baylor or a rookie season you had in the NFL. The NFL gig is simply what have you done for me lately as in what have you done this week, this game. Gotta commend Rhule for teaching out guys this in advance. Welcome to the real world Robert, your performance matters more than your words or desires.
CoachHBU2008
ImwithBU said:

CoachHBU2008 said:

Just don't get it...

I can sum it up in a short phrase. Sense of entitlement. If you truly Want to start or be in a position to win the starting job then go compete. No one cares about what u did at Baylor or a rookie season you had in the NFL. The NFL gig is simply what have you done for me lately as in what have you done this week, this game. Gotta commend Rhule for teaching out guys this in advance. Welcome to the real world Robert, your performance matters more than your words or desires.
I agree completely with this sentiment. So for me, and I hate to say this about him because I like him and think he is a good guy, he doesn't really love football as much as he says he does. He just loves what it brought him. I always felt that track was really the sport he wanted to play, but was just so gifted at the game of football, that it made the logical sense to pursue a career in that. That, and Art Briles being an amazing motivator, making him believe he was going to reshape the position of qb.

It's a shame, because I still think he has a lot to offer this league. If he could just get a look from a good fit that has some stability like a New England or a Pittsburgh. Or go to a sound team that at least has the track record of stability like a Green Bay or a Seattle Seahawks, with qbs to learn from who do the things he does, but at an elite level, he can be a serviceable backup int this league for a long time. May even get the shot to do things that Foles and Keenum did this past season if a guy goes down. As a coach, it is just hard watching talent being muted the way like Griffin's talent is. And without a fight makes it especially tough to watch.
xiledinok
Not the best teammate in the past.
RG3 likes to hold the football.
Not a good thing for a team trying to throw the ball.
YoakDaddy
What NFL teams sent their scouts to watch?
Baylor3216
Ish Wainright not even 6'4?? Is that legit?
CoachHBU2008
YoakDaddy said:

Not sure who did. But scouts were there. They have to do their due diligence. With that being said the point is more Griffin's desperation to be back in the league which is what he needs to exude. Desperation. Manziel is having team meetings with the likes of the Patriots for crying out load.

Is Griffin a worse headache then Manziel? I don't know if I bye he is a locker room disrupter. He may be a "me" guy but the league is full of guys like that. And the qb position usually is one where guys are a little more aloof.

Just don't know why he doesn't throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Manziel was on drugs, allegedly hit his then girlfriend and didn't show up for work a couple of times. This league is one of multiple chances for talented guys. But you have to put the effort. And as much as it sucks you do have to kiss the ring a little and beg your way back. It is what it is. But if you really want to play you wouldn't mind. Johnny doesn't. It is clear that football is what he wants to do.

I don't see teams passing on a Griffin that is humble, says all the right things and looks like he is desperately trying to get back and will do anything that is asked of him. Jon Gruden himself doesn't understand how he is still sitting out there.

I think they just need to see effort.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Baylor3216 said:

Ish Wainright not even 6'4?? Is that legit?

6-3 7/8"
YoakDaddy
CoachHBU2008 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Not sure who did. But scouts were there. They have to do their due diligence. With that being said the point is more Griffin's desperation to be back in the league which is what he needs to exude. Desperation. Manziel is having team meetings with the likes of the Patriots for crying out load.

Is Griffin a worse headache then Manziel? I don't know if I bye he is a locker room disrupter. He may be a "me" guy but the league is full of guys like that. And the qb position usually is one where guys are a little more aloof.

Just don't know why he doesn't throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Manziel was on drugs, allegedly hit his then girlfriend and didn't show up for work a couple of times. This league is one of multiple chances for talented guys. But you have to put the effort. And as much as it sucks you do have to kiss the ring a little and beg your way back. It is what it is. But if you really want to play you wouldn't mind. Johnny doesn't. It is clear that football is what he wants to do.

I don't see teams passing on a Griffin that is humble, says all the right things and looks like he is desperately trying to get back and will do anything that is asked of him. Jon Gruden himself doesn't understand how he is still sitting out there.

I think they just need to see effort.

Thanks for the generic answer. Don't care about Griffin and JFF.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
YoakDaddy said:

Falcons, Packers, Patriots, Texans, Colts, Seahawks, and a few more. Cowboys didn't send anyone.
Forest Bueller
CoachHBU2008 said:

ImwithBU said:

CoachHBU2008 said:

Just don't get it...

I agree completely with this sentiment. So for me, and I hate to say this about him because I like him and think he is a good guy, he doesn't really love football as much as he says he does. He just loves what it brought him. I always felt that track was really the sport he wanted to play, but was just so gifted at the game of football, that it made the logical sense to pursue a career in that. That, and Art Briles being an amazing motivator, making him believe he was going to reshape the position of qb.

It's a shame, because I still think he has a lot to offer this league. If he could just get a look from a good fit that has some stability like a New England or a Pittsburgh. Or go to a sound team that at least has the track record of stability like a Green Bay or a Seattle Seahawks, with qbs to learn from who do the things he does, but at an elite level, he can be a serviceable backup int this league for a long time. May even get the shot to do things that Foles and Keenum did this past season if a guy goes down. As a coach, it is just hard watching talent being muted the way like Griffin's talent is. And without a fight makes it especially tough to watch.
What you said about loving the game is the most important point to me.

If someone "loves" to play football, if a pro team was willing to even give them a look, much less add him to their roster, he would jump in the car or airplane or train or bus or whatever got him there faster, and be at the coaches office waiting for the door to open, willing to do whatever it took.

If they don't, well obviously they won't. Incredible talent, what he did won't be forgotten, but there was just so much more there. Kind of the classic what might have been.
Forest Bueller
Forest Bueller said:

CoachHBU2008 said:

ImwithBU said:

CoachHBU2008 said:

Just don't get it...

What you said about loving the game is the most important point to me.

If someone "loves" to play football, if a pro team was willing to even give them a look, much less add him to their roster, he would jump in the car or airplane or train or bus or whatever got him there faster, and be at the coaches office waiting for the door to open, willing to do whatever it took.

If they don't, well obviously they won't. Incredible talent, what he did won't be forgotten, but there was just so much more there. Kind of the classic what might have been.

GOOD Grief, did not mean to respond to myself, just meant to correct a word spelled incorrectly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.