Another day, another Title IX coordinator

1,765 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bubbadog
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

WACO, Texas (KWTX) Baylor University has hired a new Title IX coordinator, university President Dr. Linda Livingstone said in her weekly email message to students and staff Friday.
Dr. Laura Johnson will begin the job on June 11.
She's currently the vice president for student life/dean of students and Title IX coordinator at Georgetown College, a small private Christian school in Georgetown, Ky.
The college, which was chartered in 1829, has an undergraduate enrollment of just more than 1,000 students.
"She has a wide range of experience in student services overall and in the prevention, investigation and management of sexual violence on college campuses," Livingstone said in the email.
Johnson will succeed former Title IX Coordinator Kirstan Tucker who resigned from her position effective Jan. 2.
Sources with direct knowledge of the situation told KWTX earlier that Tucker has been out of the office for about a month at the time her resignation was announced on Dec. 6, 2017.
Tucker was serving as senior deputy Title IX coordinator when was promoted to the position in October 2016, less than 48 hours after Patty Crawford, the former head of the school's Title IX office resigned following a daylong mediation of a retaliation complaint she filed with the university's Human Resources Department.

As senior deputy coordinator, Tucker helped direct the functions of the office and trained faculty, staff and students on the school's Title IX policy.
Before joining the Baylor staff, Tucker served as the lead Title IX investigator at East Carolina University.
She also worked as senior equity compliance officer in the University of Tennessee System.
Maureen Holland, a consulting member of the international legal firm Cozen O'Connor, was named to serve as the university's interim Title IX coordinator until a replacement was found,
Holland was formerly a member of the Pepper Hamilton law firm, whose review of the school's handling of sexual assaults involving athletes led to the reassignment of Chancellor and President Ken Starr, the termination of football coach Art Briles and the suspension of athletic director Ian McCaw.
Title IX, which is part of a more than 40-year-old law aimed at ensuring equal rights for those participating in educational programs that receive federal financial assistance, applies to all facets of a school's environment.

It has been interpreted to mean that sexual harassment of students including sexual violence interferes with the right to receive an education free from discrimination, and requires schools to take immediate action to end harassment and sexual violence.
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Baylor-hires-new-Title-IX-coordinator-480384253.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10

I didn't realize one of the Pepper Hamilton chicks had been our interim this semester.

And FWIW, my great-great-great-grandfather (who graduated from Georgetown College in about 1855) moved his family by covered wagon from near Georgetown, KY to McLennan County in 1870. No reports yet on how this one is going to move here.
BUGWBBear
I give her a week before the Board of Idiots run this one off too.
Guy Noir
They probably put a revolving door on that office.
Wichitabear
Will see. I'm willing to bet she lasts longer
bum

Wichitabear
Your point? Lololool
chorne68
I bet they never interviewed a male for the job...discrimination.
boognish_bear
Her timing might be pretty good if Devos is able to rollback the Obama policy changes
Krieg
I'm sure that tiny school prepared her well for the biggest spotlight in Title IX history...
whitetrash
Krieg said:

I'm sure that tiny school prepared her well for the biggest spotlight in Title IX history...
It's where the Bengals hold training camp. They probably provide a "training camp" in these matters as well, given their general reputation.
JusHappy2BeHere
A small Christian school in KY.... Hmmm...

any chance they were into blaming the girls and threatening them with expulsion for drinking and pre marital sex if they chose to pursue their claims?

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
PartyBear
1000 students? That is significantly smaller than several of the high schools the Waco area. I would think Baylor would be looking in the title 9 offices of the University of Texases, Ohio States and Michigans out there.
cowboycwr
We should have a poll or thread and maybe even a pool on how long she lasts......
Guy Noir
cowboycwr said:

We should have a poll or thread and maybe even a pool on how long she lasts......
June 12, 2019 (12 months)
jumpinjoe
PartyBear said:

1000 students? That is significantly smaller than several of the high schools the Waco area. I would think Baylor would be looking in the title 9 offices of the University of Texases, Ohio States and Michigans out there.

That number is close to the number of cases of sexual assault filed with the Title IX office since that office was created in 2014.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
quash
Guy Noir said:

cowboycwr said:

June 12, 2019 (12 months)

In for Under.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
bubbadog
PartyBear said:

Yeh, you'd think. Then again, maybe Baylor's reputation now is such that they had trouble finding anybody with that level of stature or experience who was willing to come work under this BoR. But it's got to be a huge bump in salary for someone who had been at a little school with 1,000 students.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.