Story Poster
Photo by Todd Nickle
Baylor Football

Jon Gruden: 'I usually listen to Matt Rhule'

May 10, 2018

Try SicEm365 Premium until August 27 for $1.00!

Baylor head coach Matt Rhule has the ear and influence on head football coaches in the NFL. If you didn't know, now you know.

"Matt Rhule is a friend of mine who was the coach at Temple who called me and recommended him, and I usually listen to Matt Rhule. I’ve got a lot of respect for him."
- Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders

Following day one of rookie mini-camp for the Oakland Raiders, head coach Jon Gruden was asked about the signing of free agent rookie fullback Nick Sharga out of Temple University, the home of Rhule from 2013-2016.

A high school linebacker and tight end, Sharga transferred to Temple after his freshman season at West Virginia Wesleyan and made the transition to fullback. 

As a redshirt sophomore in 2015, Sharga played both linebacker and fullback for the Owls, starting five of Temple's 14 games. Sharga then finished his career as the starting fullback for the owls in 2016 and 2017.

After going undrafted in the 2018 NFL Draft, Rhule made a call to Gruden to put in a word for Sharga.

"Sharga is the guy right now that gets the early call," Gruden said. 

"He was a fullback — Matt Rhule is a friend of mine who was the coach at Temple who called me and recommended him, and I usually listen to Matt Rhule. I’ve got a lot of respect for him."

Sharga wore a single-digit number for the Owls for each of his three seasons. As Rhule as implemented at Baylor, single-digit numbers are awarded to players by teammates for a variety of reasons, including being among the toughest players on the team. 

Rhule spent a single season as the offensive line coach of the New York Giants in 2012 prior to taking the head coaching position at Temple.

His connections to the NFL have been discussed heavily, but the confirmation by Gruden provides an additional layer of context to how well respected at the professional level. 

Discussion from...

Jon Gruden: 'I usually listen to Matt Rhule'

24,008 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Forest Bueller
ShooterTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought he was supposed to be called "Little Matty", and that he was a huge mistake, and that CMR is a terrible coach, and blah, blah, blah...
Maybe now the haters can give us all a break.... or do they now want to explain how they are right and Gruden is wrong?? LOL

I give it 30 seconds before some jackass replies with "Liberty".
Golden Helmet
This is what we're reduced to now....this is big news in Bear Country.

I bet they don't write and publish articles like this in Austin or College Station.

Forest Bueller
I agree Rhule is a fine coach, he truly is. Baylor will get much better over the next few years.

But, don't get all excited about coach speak. It is a close knit fraternity, much like Law Enforcement or Military.
They do have great respect for each other and complement each other frequently.

My dad started coaching about 1946 or so right after WWII, in 1956 he was coaching basketball in East Texas, either Bullard, La Poyner, Hawkins, Elkhart, or some similar school, I suppose they played Cayuga at some point and beat them, the one year Shelby Metcalf was a HS coach. A good many years later, Shelby was recruiting a player at MCC when I was there, my dad of course came to the game and Shelby saw my dad after the game and he was talking to me about dad, he was going on and on about how good a coach dad was, that he was a better coach than him. All this from one or two HS games they coached against each other.

The coaches of the Big 12 were saying similar things about Kevin Steele. Praised him to no end.
I don't get excited about coach speak, at the same time, I believe coach Rhule is a very good coach.

DaveyBear
Lou Holtz, a person favorite of mine, had amazing things to say about Dave Roberts.
JaMycal Hasty through 9/22
Rush 29 att 182 yds 6.3 ypc
Rec 9 rec 80 yds 8.9 ypc
Oso Pardo
I think it's pretty awesome that CMR gets that kind of respect from NFL coaches. And, I think it was a real cool thing for him to do in calling the Raiders to recommend one of his former players. I certainly hope he was doing the same thing for our players who were looking for a place to land.
Forest Bueller
Forest Bueller said:

I agree Rhule is a fine coach, he truly is. Baylor will get much better over the next few years.

But, don't get all excited about coach speak. It is a close knit fraternity, much like Law Enforcement or Military.
They do have great respect for each other and complement each other frequently.

My dad started coaching about 1946 or so right after WWII, in 1956 he was coaching basketball in East Texas, either Bullard, La Poyner, Hawkins, Elkhart, or some similar school, I suppose they played Cayuga at some point and beat them, the one year Shelby Metcalf was a HS coach. A good many years later, Shelby was recruiting a player at MCC when I was there, my dad of course came to the game and Shelby saw my dad after the game and he was talking to me about dad, he was going on and on about how good a coach dad was, that he was a better coach than him. All this from one or two HS games they coached against each other.

The coaches of the Big 12 were saying similar things about Kevin Steele. Praised him to no end.
I don't get excited about coach speak, at the same time, I believe coach Rhule is a very good coach.

Crap, I was just correcting spelling, I didn't mean to reply to myself.
EvilTroyAndAbed
What this tells me is:

If he's unsuccessful here, he's gone.

If he's successful here, he's gone.
ShooterTX
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

What this tells me is:

LOL. So pessimistic. So sad.

Do you really think that the very best coaches in college, refuse all NFL offers forever?
Art Briles would have eventually gone to the NFL, if he had the chance. Tom Herman will go to the NFL, if he ever stops kissing other men, and dancing like a fool. So yes, eventually Matt Rhule will go back to the NFL. I believe he will stay at Baylor long enough to insure that he gets to pick among offers. Our best hope is that he goes from Baylor to a HC job in the NFL. That would require him to stay at Baylor for at least 4 more seasons. Worst case scenario is if he is willing to take an OC or DC job in the NFL. That could happen as soon as 2 years.
I don't think Rhule will take an NFL job after the 2018 or 2019 season. If he did, then it would be very hard to believe anything he says in the future. Most companies (NFL teams are companies) are not in the habit of hiring people who lie or otherwise cannot be trusted. Unless he puts together a 10 win season for both 2018 and 2019... he couldn't leave Baylor, having completed his goals.
I know that a lot of people here want to believe that Rhule is a liar and a charlatan... but I just don't see that. I think he is an honorable man, so I take him at his word.
So I believe that Rhule will stay at Baylor until he has 2 back-to-back 10 win seasons. I believe that the earliest we could see that would be 2020 and 2021. So he may be gone in 2022, but I kinda doubt that.
Regardless of the timing, it is a pipe dream to think that a quality coach will stay at Baylor "forever".
Golden Helmet
Post destined for the Hall of Fame....
Golden Helmet
I don't always listen to Matt Rhule....But when I do I prefer Dos Equis
RioRata
Jon Gruden:

Head coaching record
Regular season:
95-81 (.540)
Postseason:
5-4 (.556)
Career:
100-85 (.541)
Jacques Strap
This merits a raise and a contract extension.
ColomboLQ
Jacques Strap said:

You beat me to the post.
BaylorRocks
ShooterTX said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

What this tells me is:

LOL. So pessimistic. So sad.

Do you really think that the very best coaches in college, refuse all NFL offers forever?
Art Briles would have eventually gone to the NFL, if he had the chance. Tom Herman will go to the NFL, if he ever stops kissing other men, and dancing like a fool. So yes, eventually Matt Rhule will go back to the NFL. I believe he will stay at Baylor long enough to insure that he gets to pick among offers. Our best hope is that he goes from Baylor to a HC job in the NFL. That would require him to stay at Baylor for at least 4 more seasons. Worst case scenario is if he is willing to take an OC or DC job in the NFL. That could happen as soon as 2 years.
I don't think Rhule will take an NFL job after the 2018 or 2019 season. If he did, then it would be very hard to believe anything he says in the future. Most companies (NFL teams are companies) are not in the habit of hiring people who lie or otherwise cannot be trusted. Unless he puts together a 10 win season for both 2018 and 2019... he couldn't leave Baylor, having completed his goals.
I know that a lot of people here want to believe that Rhule is a liar and a charlatan... but I just don't see that. I think he is an honorable man, so I take him at his word.
So I believe that Rhule will stay at Baylor until he has 2 back-to-back 10 win seasons. I believe that the earliest we could see that would be 2020 and 2021. So he may be gone in 2022, but I kinda doubt that.
Regardless of the timing, it is a pipe dream to think that a quality coach will stay at Baylor "forever".
All good points and I generally agree. The only thought I would inject is -- keep in mind that there are VERY few OC and DC jobs in the NFL paying $4M/yr. So if in some strange moon we see him make that move, I expect something at Baylor went very very wrong for him. And we should all be more worried about that than whether he moves to the NFL.

And as for Tom Herman - he will go wherever and whenever his next self-profile and paycheck bump is.
ShooterTX
Jacques Strap said:

No, but it does merit a slight amount of respect for our coach, right?
MrGolfguy
"I don't usually listen to coaches who go 1-11, but when I do I listen to Matt Rhule"
hodedofome
ShooterTX said:

Jacques Strap said:

1-11 and we're talking about respect?

I could have won that many games last year and I don't deserve anyone's respect as a football coach.
ShooterTX
hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

Jacques Strap said:

I could have won that many games last year and I don't deserve anyone's respect as a football coach.

I'm sure you could. Do you ride that unicorn to work everyday in fantasy land?
hodedofome
ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

Jacques Strap said:

I live in reality. I drive a Toyota Camry and last year we went 1-11. Most of the guys on this site, by not doing anything and just letting the players play, could have the same record.
ShooterTX
hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

Jacques Strap said:

I live in reality. I drive a Toyota Camry and last year we went 1-11. Most of the guys on this site, by not doing anything and just letting the players play, could have the same record.

Prove it, or shut up.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Liberty. Yall are too old to be getting hard ons from coachspeak.
hodedofome
ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

Jacques Strap said:

Prove it, or shut up.

My feelings are hurt.
ShooterTX
hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

Jacques Strap said:

Prove it, or shut up.

My feelings are hurt.

You probably just need a few Midol. It'll pass.
bear2be2
PacificBear said:

"Matt Rhule is a friend of mine who was the coach at Temple who called me and recommended him, and I usually listen to Matt Rhule. I've got a lot of respect for him. It's not easy taking a team 2 years removed from a conference championship and turning them into a tougher 1-11 team. Think about that for a minute....1-11.. you have to be really set in your ways to lose that many games. Especially to Liberty."

- Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders

You missed a few key events in your timeline. But that's the way #CABers roll.
la1037
Jacques Strap said:

I am laughing out loud.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
RioRata
la1037 said:

Jacques Strap said:

I am laughing out loud.
McCavebear
I hope Rhule can bring success back to Baylor football. So far he has done nothing.
McCavebear Lives!
BaylorRocks
McCavebear said:

I hope Rhule can bring success back to Baylor football. So far he has done nothing.
"he has done nothing" ?

You now lose all credibility - troll.
Keyser Soze
ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

hodedofome said:

ShooterTX said:

Jacques Strap said:

Prove it, or shut up.

My feelings are hurt.

You probably just need a few Midol. It'll pass.

hodedofome
zunooreo said:

McCavebear said:

"he has done nothing" ?

You now lose all credibility - troll.

You are correct, he did win 1 game last year.
BaylorLit 01
Did you not watch Monday Night Gootball? Gruden loves everyone and everyone is the greatest. All of the qb's he coached before drafts were future Hall of Famers.. on and on.

Gruden cut Sharga 2 days later.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

he did win 1 game last year.
Out of 12 played.
Illigitimus non carborundum
RioRata
Barry Switzer:

40-24 (NFL regular season)
5-2 (NFL playoffs)
Ludwig von Missi
Wow. Some of y'all are the most miserable sacks of **** I've ever encountered on the internet or in real life.

Is it the greatest thing that has ever happened? No. But it is good press for Baylor and our head football coach nonetheless. The reaction to this is pathetic.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.