Football
Sponsored by

Now to see what the Matt Rhule era at Baylor actually looks like

34,591 Views | 228 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SATXBear
Friscobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

No excuse for last year. What kind of coach uses a playbook the players can't understand? College players have to devote a little time to classes. CMR chose to play most of the young players as he ran of the experienced players. We are back in the wilderness. Steele was a better coach

Come on, LIQR. I think more time is needed before making that claim.

It was a bad year for sure, and for many reasons. I'm confident Rhule will start the turnaround this year and I'm expecting a bowl game. If he does that he will have done something Steele never did. Hell, even if it takes two years to get back to a bowl game he's head and shoulders ahead of Steele.
Tiny Elvis
Gruvin said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Phil B recruited Tevin Elliott.

Let that sink in.
Baylor admisssions let him in and Baylor compliance let him stay and etc

Let it go!

And Tevin had zero red flags coming into Baylor per his HS Coach at Mt. Pleasant.
S11
Staff
Friscobear said:

No excuse for last year. What kind of coach uses a playbook the players can't understand? College players have to devote a little time to classes. CMR chose to play most of the young players as he ran of the experienced players. We are back in the wilderness. Steele was a better coach

Come on, LIQR. I think more time is needed before making that claim.

It was a bad year for sure, and for many reasons. I'm confident Rhule will start the turnaround this year and I'm expecting a bowl game. If he does that he will have done something Steele never did. Hell, even if it takes two years to get back to a bowl game he's head and shoulders ahead of Steele.

Rhule had a bad year one but was far more competitive than steele ever was. 10 games vs P5 half of those being one-score games in the 4th or a win. A couple more were competitive well into the third.

Kevin Steele in the time before the spread got going with fewer possessions against BCS/P6 teams...

Average halftime score- 4 - 25 (3 possession game)
Average 3q score- 6 - 34 (4 possession game)
Average final- 12-43 (5 possession game)

Getting destroyed early. Also averaged only 17 yards per drive while allowing 37 before mop up time.

Only one league win in four years.
drahthaar

Ahhh, no.
TheDom

Your poster name matches your post in this thread my man....
TheDom

Your poster name matches your post innthis thread my friend...
TheDom
Stranger said:

You might be right, neighbor. We'll see.

Actually, when I think of little Matty he reminds me of my memories of Kevin Steele. Hope I'm wrong.
Oh Stranger... your going to be running out of content soon after we make a bowl game this year. So much for that conspiracy theory on BU Athletics going broke and Knoll resignation an undercover scandal, huh?
hodedofome
Brian Ethridge said:

hodedofome said:

Sprite said:

Very fair article.

For all intents and purposes, this is Coach Rhule's first season on the job. It would be reckless and impatient to question the lack of results before another three years, at the earliest.

Good coaches find a way to win with the players they got, not the players they will have 3 years from now. It is because he's not humble and flexible enough to adjust his system to his players.

Briles figures out spreading out the defense and throwing screen passes could mask an inferior O-line. We had a QB with an arm strong enough to make those quick passes, he was recruited by Briles after all.

He's a troll.

Are you talking about me or Sprite?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
hodedofome said:

Brian Ethridge said:

hodedofome said:

Sprite said:

Very fair article.

For all intents and purposes, this is Coach Rhule's first season on the job. It would be reckless and impatient to question the lack of results before another three years, at the earliest.

Good coaches find a way to win with the players they got, not the players they will have 3 years from now. It is because he's not humble and flexible enough to adjust his system to his players.

Briles figures out spreading out the defense and throwing screen passes could mask an inferior O-line. We had a QB with an arm strong enough to make those quick passes, he was recruited by Briles after all.

He's a troll.

Are you talking about me or Sprite?
Not you
Ludwig von Missi
Figured Stanger would want to sit a few plays out after claiming we dumped Knoll for budgetary reasons and then watching us hire the best coach in college tennis weeks later.

But I guess that would require some self awareness and/or humility.
Doc Holliday
I don't see us dropping to the depths that we did in the late 90's through late 2000's solely because of strength in recruiting and what the previous staff built (stadium, facilities etc.).

But I think where most disappointment comes from is that we were a 10+ win program with a LOT of attention for being very innovative and we will never be that with this staff...because they literally don't believe in it.

I think the past 10 years has PROVEN that at Baylor at least, we HAVE to be innovative to win 10+ games. Maybe Rhule will not be so hard headed or stubborn and maybe understand this...but he wants to be Penn State so bad.

Also if we ever get around 7-8+ wins, there's a good chance Rhule will run off.

As far as 2018, not a single one of you should expect to beat UTSA. We are not there yet.
We all gotta be honest with ourselves here.

I'm hoping for the best. We have the talent to win 5 games...it's pretty much all on Rhule at this point.

Ludwig von Missi
Doc Holliday said:

I don't see us dropping to the depths that we did in the late 90's through late 2000's solely because of strength in recruiting and what the previous staff built (stadium, facilities etc.).

But I think where most disappointment comes from is that we were a 10+ win program with a LOT of attention for being very innovative and we will never be that with this staff...because they literally don't believe in it.

I think the past 10 years has PROVEN that at Baylor at least, we HAVE to be innovative to win 10+ games. Maybe Rhule will not be so hard headed or stubborn and maybe understand this...but he wants to be Penn State so bad.

As far as 2018, not a single one of you should expect to beat UTSA. We are not there yet.

I'm hoping for the best. We have the talent to win 5 games...it's pretty much all on Rhule at this point.

You taking bets?

I mean, we were in a one possession game with UTSA late in the 4th quarter last year with Anu Solomon at quarterback. It is laughable to think we can't/won't beat UTSA this year. We would have smoked them if we had played again in November.
Doc Holliday
Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

I mean, we were in a one possession game with UTSA late in the 4th quarter last year with Anu Solomon at quarterback. It is laughable to think we can't/won't beat UTSA this year. We would have smoked them if we had played again in November.
Do you believe it was laughable to think we couldn't beat them last season?
Ludwig von Missi
Doc Holliday said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

Wouldn't or couldn't? Two very different questions.

Are you taking bets?
Doc Holliday
Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

Are you taking bets?
I'm not saying we can't/won't beat UTSA..I'm saying I don't believe with 100% certainty that we will absolutely win.

Which is why I would never take a bet on it.
Ludwig von Missi
Doc Holliday said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

Are you taking bets?
I'm not saying we can't/won't beat UTSA..I'm saying I don't believe with 100% certainty that we will absolutely win.

Which is why I would never take a bet on it.
Got it. Misunderstood what you were trying to say. To me when someone says you shouldn't expect to beat a team, they aren't talking about 100%. If Baylor is playing a team I think we would beat 8 out 10 times, I still expect to win that game.
Stranger
TheDom said:

Stranger said:

You might be right, neighbor. We'll see.

Actually, when I think of little Matty he reminds me of my memories of Kevin Steele. Hope I'm wrong.
Oh Stranger... your going to be running out of content soon after we make a bowl game this year. So much for that conspiracy theory on BU Athletics going broke and Knoll resignation an undercover scandal, huh?

Bowl game,huh?

You wanna bet a Dr Pepper?
I'm a Bearbacker
Stranger
Crash Davis said:

Figured Stanger would want to sit a few plays out after claiming we dumped Knoll for budgetary reasons and then watching us hire the best coach in college tennis weeks later.

According to the Waco Trib this morning, Matt Knoll has been nominated for membership in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. Baylor may have hired a great new tennis coach, but so far he has won zero national championships at Baylor. If my memory serves me Knoll won two at Baylor.

And Mack Rhoads showed no class in firing Knoll at 10 am on Mother's Day, Sunday morning. Fortunately Rhoads will be shown the door the same day as little Matty.
I'm a Bearbacker
Ludwig von Missi
Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

According to the Waco Trib this morning, Matt Knoll has been nominated for membership in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. Baylor may have hired a great new tennis coach, but so far he has won zero national championships at Baylor. If my memory serves me Knoll won two at Baylor.

And Mack Rhoads showed no class in firing Knoll at 10 am on Mother's Day, Sunday morning. Fortunately Rhoads will be shown the door the same day as little Matty.
Love coach Knoll and everything he did for our program.

But none of your defelections change the fact that you were totally clueless about why coach Knoll was let go. And if you can't applaud Rhoades for hiring an excellent replacement, you clearly have an agenda. He literally went out and got the best coach in all of college tennis. This "I'll wait and see if this coach can win at Baylor" approach is cute, but ultimately idiotic when you hire a coach that recently won 4 National Championships in 5 years.

It is ok to man up every once and a while and admit you **** the bed...I'm sure you'll deflect this and make it about someone else, but I wanted to be clear I'm talking about you.
setshot
This is not intended to make a favorable comparison of the coaches involved, but in 1954 Bear Bryant ran off most of the players he inherited in his first year there and with a squad that was outmanned by almost every opponent, he proceeded to lose all but one game, including all of the SWC games. Baylor beat A&M by a score of 20-7 but I came away impressed with the effort of the Aggies against a strong Bear contingent.

Bryant used Aggie money to buy some players and improved immediately.
RegentCoverup
You make an excellent and valid point and it's true in organizations of every size and shape in the USA.

Loyalty is always an issue. Every head coaching change will involve a large amount of roster churn.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Stranger
Crash Davis said:

Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

But none of your defelections change the fact that you were totally clueless about why coach Knoll was let go. And if you can't applaud Rhoades for hiring an excellent replacement, you clearly have an agenda. He literally went out and got the best coach in all of college tennis. This "I'll wait and see if this coach can win at Baylor" approach is cute, but ultimately idiotic when you hire a coach that recently won 4 National Championships in 5 years.

It is ok to man up every once and a while and admit you **** the bed...I'm sure you'll deflect this and make it about someone else, but I wanted to be clear I'm talking about you.

I've never knocked the new hire. He seems to have great credentials. I wish him well.

My beef was with how Rhoads dismissed Knoll. Do you know why he fired Knoll? If so, please let the rest of us in on those facts. The version I got was not pretty. Perhaps you might enlighten us?
I'm a Bearbacker
Ludwig von Missi
Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

I've never knocked the new hire. He seems to have great credentials. I wish him well.

My beef was with how Rhoads dismissed Knoll. Do you know why he fired Knoll? If so, please let the rest of us in on those facts. The version I got was not pretty. Perhaps you might enlighten us?
Whether I know why he was let go is neither here nor there. Keep moving those goal posts.

You said Knoll was a budgetary casualty. He wasn't. Unless the best tennis coach in the country just decided to come to good ol' Baylor out of the kindness of his heart, I think it's safe to assume he is among the highest paid tennis coaches in the country.
TheDom
Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

Oh Stranger... you do live in some weird world in your own head. Even after started a thread to speculate on Knoll firing and BU Athletics going broke you still twist it some kinda was to deflect after proven wrong. Perhaps, just maybe, Knoll resigned for the reasons he stated in his statement, "ready to move on to next chapter of my life." The guy coached at BU for 22 years. Was he supposed to coach there until he dies? And if he didn't do it exactly as you see fit then it must be some scandal??

And yes, you got it, Dr. Pepper float if we make it to bowl game. One more caveat though. If I win, (which I will) you have to wear the "I love Coach Matt Rhule" t-shirt I make, take picture and post on this site.
Stranger
TheDom said:

Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

Oh Stranger... you do live in some weird world in your own head. Even after started a thread to speculate on Knoll firing and BU Athletics going broke you still twist it some kinda was to deflect after proven wrong. Perhaps, just maybe, Knoll resigned for the reasons he stated in his statement, "ready to move on to next chapter of my life." The guy coached at BU for 22 years. Was he supposed to coach there until he dies? And if he didn't do it exactly as you see fit then it must be some scandal??

And yes, you got it, Dr. Pepper float if we make it to bowl game. One more caveat though. If I win, (which I will) you have to wear the "I love Coach Matt Rhule" t-shirt I make, take picture and post on this site.

Fair enough, you're on.

Why are you blowing off how Knoll was dealt with? That's my beef. Some of us are not happy that BOR still runs the place with a sinister hand. I had it on very good authority that it was not Knoll's idea to leave and Rhoads handled it very clumsily. If you know better, please tell us. If he was to be replaced I'm glad they found an able replacement.

It still troubles many (most) of us that Baylor is still operating under a veil of secrecy and deception. It should trouble you as well.

Oh, and there is no period in the name
Dr Pepper.
I'm a Bearbacker
xiledinok
He was hired and told to turnover the roster. What was left was the defense. Smh, that unit couldn't compete with anyone.
Liberty had seen enough film to know #13 would win the one on one matchups.
ColomboLQ
Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

LOL!!
Ludwig von Missi
ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

LOL!!
Do you disagree? That's fine if you do, but I think we were a much better team in November than we were in September.

I wish our 2012 team could have had another shot at TCU and Iowa State with the way we were playing at the end of that year. That sure didn't feel like a 7-5 team by the end of the year, did it? Likewise, at the end of last year we looked like a 3-9 or 4-8 team trapped in a 1-11 team's body.
ColomboLQ
Crash Davis said:

ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

LOL!!
Do you disagree? That's fine if you do, but I think we were a much better team in November than we were in September.

I wish our 2012 team could have had another shot at TCU and Iowa State with the way we were playing at the end of that year. That sure didn't feel like a 7-5 team by the end of the year, did it? Likewise, at the end of last year we looked like a 3-9 or 4-8 team trapped in a 1-11 team's body.
I agree that we were a much better team in November than September. In September, we literally lost to a mediocre (by FCS standards) FCS team. We were easily the worst team in Division 1 at that point. By November we had improved but we were still an absolutely terrible team, just not the worst in Division 1. UTSA was still beating a decent Marshall team in November. Although we had improved, we still sucked ass and weren't beating them.
Ludwig von Missi
ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

LOL!!

I agree that we were a much better team in November than September. In September, we literally lost to a mediocre (by FCS standards) FCS team. We were easily the worst team in Division 1 at that point. By November we had improved but we were still an absolutely terrible team, just not the worst in Division 1. UTSA was still beating a decent Marshall team in November. Although we had improved, we still sucked ass and weren't beating them.
Agree to disagree. As ****ty as we were, we weren't that far off from beating them in September...probably would have with Smith or Brewer playing. I don't think it is far fetched at all to think we could have handled them with reasonable ease by the end of the year.
HuMcK
Crash Davis said:

ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

Doc Holliday said:

You taking bets?

LOL!!

Agree to disagree. As ****ty as we were, we weren't that far off from beating them in September...probably would have with Smith or Brewer playing. I don't think it is far fetched at all to think we could have handled them with reasonable ease by the end of the year.

100%. UTSA is the loss that I put on Rhule's shoulders the most. Sending a concussed Anu Solomon back out to start the second half was one of the worst coaching decisions I've seen in a while. We lost to Liberty because we didn't have any DB's healthy and that's just bad luck, but it was clear Solomon wasn't the answer early on against UTSA so Rhule should have pulled him.
cowboycwr
TheDom said:

forza orsi said:

cowboycwr said:

I stopped reading two sentences in when the author clearly has no clue what he was talking about.

7 win team to 1 win team.... that is all anyone needs to know.

First year coaches win ALL THE TIME.

And yet everyone wants to give Rhule a pass because he is a nice guy or something. All one has to do is watch his post game pressers to see he is lost and has no clue.

And of course if he wins 2 games this year he will be called the savior of Baylor Football.
This sort of analysis is what makes this such a great site. A critique of an article by a guy who said that he didn't read it. You can't get that just anywhere.
this cowboycwr character was on another thread about MBB citing 2 obvious google facts and telling everyone what they meant and how to "obviously" feel about them. This guy is as generic and cliche as they come.

Lol. Yeah I was stating our record against Kansas and how it is clear for that record Kansas is not scared of us. They own us. Just like most other coaches owned matty last year.
cowboycwr
TheDom said:

cowboycwr said:

Htown387 said:

cowboycwr said:

I stopped reading two sentences in when the author clearly has no clue what he was talking about.

And yet everyone wants to give Rhule a pass because he is a nice guy or something. All one has to do is watch his post game pressers to see he is lost and has no clue.

And of course if he wins 2 games this year he will be called the savior of Baylor Football.

I can wait for guys/trolls like you to fall on your sword at the end of the season. No way we win anything less than 5 games next season.

It was a clear roster burn last year, nobody was younger in the country.
LOL.

and when we don't win 5 games I will be sure to bring this back up.

And if we do win 5 games who cares??? That is STILL a losing season. I don't celebrate losing. So yeah I will not be falling on my sword at the end of the season unless by some miracle he goes undefeated.

Yes we used a lot of freshmen... because the coach benched players like a 1,000 yard rusher to play the freshmen... and the results were... losses. Lots of them. And now transfers.

Again bro, just like the MBB thread, please follow the team, watch the games, and have a general idea of what is going on before posting.

And again I will own you if that is what you want.

Kansas dominates us in basketball.

We went 1-11.

Only losers would celebrate a losing season.
cowboycwr
Crash Davis said:

cowboycwr said:

Htown387 said:

cowboycwr said:

I can wait for guys/trolls like you to fall on your sword at the end of the season. No way we win anything less than 5 games next season.

It was a clear roster burn last year, nobody was younger in the country.
LOL.

and when we don't win 5 games I will be sure to bring this back up.

And if we do win 5 games who cares??? That is STILL a losing season. I don't celebrate losing. So yeah I will not be falling on my sword at the end of the season unless by some miracle he goes undefeated.

Yes we used a lot of freshmen... because the coach benched players like a 1,000 yard rusher to play the freshmen... and the results were... losses. Lots of them. And now transfers.

Who cares if we we win 5 games? Just anyone with half a brain that gives a **** about Baylor football. Nobody is saying that is the end goal, but crawling before you walk and all that. Wining 5 or 6 games this year would be a massive improvement and a sign things are going in the right direction. A little nuance never hurt anyone...you should try it out some time!

Lol I notice you added that all important 6 in there.

5 loses is a losing season. Two seasons removed from having a winning season.

No one celebrates losers. Except the bor and several posters on this board in love with a coach who lost to liberty.
TheDom
Stranger said:

TheDom said:

Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

Stranger said:

Crash Davis said:

Fair enough, you're on.

Why are you blowing off how Knoll was dealt with? That's my beef. Some of us are not happy that BOR still runs the place with a sinister hand. I had it on very good authority that it was not Knoll's idea to leave and Rhoads handled it very clumsily. If you know better, please tell us. If he was to be replaced I'm glad they found an able replacement.

It still troubles many (most) of us that Baylor is still operating under a veil of secrecy and deception. It should trouble you as well.

Oh, and there is no period in the name
Dr Pepper.
You can name your Waco establishment to meet up after we start 5-1...

As far as the other stuff I think you're misguided in much of your anger and perspective. First & foremost Baylor Nation has to acknowledge and admit CAB, Ian, & Starr & several administrations positions Starr oversaw held the largest responsibility in this mess. They were fired for cause and justifiably. All of them overlooked their responsibility and to the greater good of Baylor and all those affected in this mess. As leaders of the school, their decisions in terms not implementing required laws and general lack of discipline and regard for rules played largest role. They were the ones hired and paid big $$ to operate the school's day-to-day business and collectively decided winning football games was more important than all else.

Regarding BOR, perhaps my perspective is different than most bc in my business I deal with members of boards everyday. These are generally highly respected good people who have become ultra successful in life. Some are boards are corporate and some nonprofit (voluntary) like Baylor. And the truth of the matter is in general all boards are complicated. In theory you have group of people that operate an organization in effort to make it better, safer, stronger through group input and decision making, as opposed to one person being all powerful. In reality you don't have a dictatorship but become less efficient as day to day business becomes cumbersome. Also voluntary boards are more detached bc those members have their attention elsewhere with other organizations they run on daily basis for profit and are really on that board for their name or influence, and rotate in & out every few years. Their time is spent on very high level general decisions. Power struggles and agendas among members does exist in all board but to argue that overall Baylor's BOR it some sinister organization out to destory Baylor is simply not reality. Or any worst & more incompetent than the millions of BOR that exist nationwide is also not reality. Boards consist of members who are people so you need to be more specific on who you are bashing among the board. To further complicate issues with any BOR but at Baylor in particular is the different interest groups that make up Baylor's BOR. To me there is way to many seats and the split between Baptist church-donors-students it very difficult with all the competing agendas. So when crisis hit and you need concise decision making it obviously came off very clumsy and disjointed. They could have done better in areas but again when you dealing with groups of people facing millions of dollars and survival of any organization at large with real legal liability it can take on war/bunker mentality. All the existing lawsuits is reason for lack of total transparency. MSU just paid out half billion. The BOR must protect against that happening to us. That cold hard truth. It will all come out one day and I suspect it will be more of the same that has been leaked recently. All this said, I am confident the majority of members of our BOR care about Baylor and want to do their part to make it a great university. The ones I have meet certainly did/do so. I think your perspective needs adjustment of how all this fits together. If you angry against Baylor BOR at large then you are really angry at the way the world of large non-profit organizations operate.

Mack Rhoades is a stud. Exactly type we needed running AD. He runs a tight ship and some people don't like that. I know a guy who I went to HS with he works within AD and has followed him to BU. He loves working for him. I suspect there has been little bit of ruffling of feathers with long time hold overs at BU. Usually the way it happens in any organization when new regime comes in. And Matty (as you like to refer to him) was absolute home run hire. He will prove it over time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.