Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Baylor to play UTSA on exclusive Facebook broadcast

June 7, 2018

Try SicEm365 Premium all summer for $1.00 

According to a report by John Elizondo News 4 in San Antonio, Baylor and UTSA's football game on Sept. 8 in San Antonio will be aired lived on an exclusive broadcast via Facebook.

According to Elizondo, the production of the game will be in the hands of the CBS Sports Network. 

Part of the Conference USA, Baylor nor the Big 12 had a hand in the decison making process for the contest to be aired on Facebook. 

Baylor opens the 2018 season against Abilene Christian on Sept. 1 at McLane Stadium at 7 p.m. CT. That contest will be aired live on Fox Sports Southwest. 

Discussion from...

Baylor to play UTSA on exclusive Facebook broadcast

18,945 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Joe Waco
T-REX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is stupid.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
GhettoHEBear
I'll be at the game representing Baylor in San Antonio
Baylor Mafioso
Aberzombie1892
It's CUSA. What did anyone expect, ABC or CBS?
DAC
gay
EatMoreSalmon
I wonder who my FB profile will be shared with if I watch?
ScrappyPaws
NOT stupid. This IS the future of broadcast availability and we should be exploring options like this for our third tier stuff already. This just shows UTSA is making some smart moves. Put it this way... were this game on FSSW or even worse, FCS or CBS Sports, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of our alumni wouldn't get this game in their own home. But streaming on Facebook... well of course we have internet!
CorsicanaBear
This is the most stupid thing ever. I guess its the one game this year I won't be watching. Here's an article that discusses the experience of watching a baseball game on Facebook. Its not a pretty picture. JMo's audience on the radio call will be way up.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-forced-me-to-watch-baseball-online-it-made-me-wow-sad-and-angry/

I will never have a Facebook account.

If watching anything requires Facebook, then I won't be watching.
Illigitimus non carborundum
DAC
CorsicanaBear said:

This is the most stupid thing ever. I guess its the one game this year I won't be watching. Here's an article that discusses the experience of watching a baseball game on Facebook. Its not a pretty picture. JMo's audience on the radio call will be way up.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-forced-me-to-watch-baseball-online-it-made-me-wow-sad-and-angry/

I will never have a Facebook account.

If watching anything requires Facebook, then I won't be watching.

I never have and never will
Chanceux
Free streaming or like a pay per view thing?
RegentCoverup
I'm not a Facebooker , but this is an excellent idea. KUdos to Mack Rhodes.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Free streaming
Depends on your definition of free. Its all free on Facebook, because you are the product, not the customer.
Chanceux
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Free streaming
Depends on your definition of free. Its all free on Facebook, because you are the product, not the customer.

My definition of free is not using the credit card.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

KUdos to Mack Rhodes.
According to the staff post on the thread, nobody at Baylor of the Big 12 had anything to do with this. This is the kind of crabs you get when you go slumming and play home and home with CUSA. No self respecting Power 5 school would do this.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

My definition of free is not using the credit card.
My definition includes that but also includes not putting all my information on display for the world to see.

Facebook is evil.
Chanceux
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

KUdos to Mack Rhodes.
According to the staff post on the thread, nobody at Baylor of the Big 12 had anything to do with this. This is the kind of crabs you get when you go slumming and play home and home with CUSA. No self respecting Power 5 school would do this.
Eh. UT and OU have played plenty of ppv contests against subpar teams that go virtually unnoticed by anyone outside of their fanbase. Just because it's a different medium doesn't mean much, assuming Facebook and CBS are ponying up decent enough money for the rights.

In fact it wasn't that long ago OU played CUSA foe UTEP on the road.
nafprat
There are some seriously crotchety old farts in this thread.
nafprat
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

KUdos to Mack Rhodes.

CUSA is an upgrade over the Big South. You are dumb.
CorsicanaBear

Quote:

I resemble that remark, but I am hardly a Luddite (you can look that up on Duck Duck Go because I don't recommend using Google any more than using Facebook).

I am all for more streaming options. I use them all through my laptop, mobile devices and Apple TV. I just prefer to use services that I pay for with cash not services I pay for with my privacy/personal information.
Grizz Air
All my cheap arse cares about is that its free. I dont care of Russia tells Trump that I watched the Bears/Roadrunners game
Wwbear
I assume the payout is set ahead of time regardless of the distribution method. Otherwise we're bringing less to the Big 12 pot, no bueno.
ScrappyPaws
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

I resemble that remark, but I am hardly a Luddite (you can look that up on Duck Duck Go because I don't recommend using Google any more than using Facebook).

I am all for more streaming options. I use them all through my laptop, mobile devices and Apple TV. I just prefer to use services that I pay for with cash not services I pay for with my privacy/personal information.
You can create and maintain a facebook account without giving away that much personal data. It makes it difficult to use as originally intended (social interaction online) but if you're just wanting to browse or catch a free streaming event and all you need is an account, you wont have to give them anything you wouldn't give up when registering for the CBS Sports online account (less in fact as CBS requires payment information).
whitetrash
Instead of the camera mounted on pulleys above the field, they'll outfit a couple of players on each team with a GoPro on their helmet to livestream from the field.
DAC
whitetrash said:

Instead of the camera mounted on pulleys above the field, they'll outfit a couple of players on each team with a GoPro on their helmet to livestream from the field.

I figured they will be getting the live stream from a kid on the front row filming it with his computer phone
CorsicanaBear
Man wouldn't it be great if we could watch football on Facebook? Said no one ever.

It's an idea right up there with those video games from a few years ago mounted over urinals that were controlled by your "stream".
BellCountyBear
Why not put some GoPros on a litter of squirrels? It's all entertainment, right?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

KUdos to Mack Rhodes.

Arizona State was there in 2016
fredbear
This is not the future, and it is not good. First, a lot of people do not have Facebook, especially since we now know what they are doing with our information. Secondly, this is the very bottom of broadcast opportunities. This is the way I watch my daughters junior high b-ball team when they have an out of town tournament that I can't make. My daughters B team basketball never made fox sports or ESPN, but they are on Facebook every game. Ridiculously low blow.
True Grit
(From Google) As of the first quarter of 2018, Facebook had 2.19 billion monthly active users.

That is 2.19 billion users who will see "boosted" ads leading up to/on game day, see Baylor's name and team (probably ads about Baylor too), and have the option to simply "click" on a link/ad on their feed and watch the game. I believe this is the future of sports viewing (not just on Facebook) and am curious about the experience/product. Since age is mentioned in the above posts, I am 46 and approve of this venture.
Asheville Bear
If people are bummed about this, they could go to the game...
GShack
Brian Ethridge said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

KUdos to Mack Rhodes.

Arizona State was there in 2016

Arizona, and UTSA almost got them.
CorsicanaBear
Viewership of the Baseball game in the link I posted above was only 30,000. BU UTSA will be lower than that.

The entire 2B+ user base (minus fake accounts) will not see adverts for this game. The whole promise of FB is that people only see things they are interested in. Users in Mumbai, Buenos Aires and Kiev will not see this show up in their feeds. Neither will people who post all the time about Dancing With the Stars and America's got talent but never post about football.
ShooterTX
Sad to say that Facebook is beating Amazon and Netflix to the table. I would much rather see those streaming services do this, as they have experience streaming high quality video which is hours in length. I've only seen FB stream cell phone & Web cam quality crap.
I'm curious, has Netflix ever streamed live content? I know Amazon has done it before.
CorsicanaBear
FB is early into streaming live games because they want you to post to your feed during the game, to engage with the activity by hitting wow and sad buttons (which will be omnipresent on screen during the event). The article about the Giants-Diamondbacks game above notes there were no ads. This is temporary. Soon there will be ads you have to interact with to dismiss. Interaction provides FB with more information about its product (you) that it can sell to its real customers, the advertisers.

The fact that these activities are hours long is a real boon to FB. More dwell time on FB means more data points, more interaction, a bigger Social Graph, more ways to find out about your connections to institutions and people, more chances to get you to connect to other people, an excellent opportunity to observe (and have a record of) you enjoying something you are likely passionate about, more deep knowledge about you.
CorsicanaBear
It'll look like this. Well, except it'll be a football game.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.