Football
Sponsored by

Around the Big 12

39,152 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BiPolarBear
BiPolarBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is a thread like this in Women's Basketball and I think it would be interesting in Football. Let me start it off. It it takes hold it takes hold.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/30/lb-edwin-freeman-confirms-graduate-transfer-plans-out-of-texas/

LB Edwin Freeman confirms graduate transfer plans out of Texas

By Bryan FischerJun 30, 2018, 5:47 PM EDT

Texas lost a little bit of their defensive depth on Saturday ahead of a key season on the 40 Acres for Tom Herman and staff.

Senior linebacker Edwin Freemanconfirmed that he was electing to leave the Longhorns as a graduate transfer, first tweeting the news that was later confirmed by the school in a release.
Quote:

"I will forever be grateful to The University of Texas and all of my coaches for giving me the opportunity to come earn my degree and play football at my dream school," Freeman said in a statement. "I especially want to thank all of my teammates who have become my brothers over the last four years. With that said, I've decided to transfer with my degree in hand and pursue an opportunity at another school to finish my football career."
Freeman started five games as a sophomore and appeared in 11 more as a junior but couldn't quite crack the starting rotation on a more permanent basis. A triceps injury held him back in spring practice this year and it seems there was enough distance between him and the other linebackers to cause him to explore his options for one final season of college football.

The Arlington, Texas native was considered a four-star coming out of high school and generally regarded as a top-200 player at the time back in 2014. He held offers from programs such as Texas A&M, USC, Notre Dame and TCU at the time but didn't indicate where he might look at transferring to this time around.
BiPolarBear
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/30/rb-demarcus-felton-and-lb-brayden-stringer-no-longer-transferring-from-texas-tech/

RB DeMarcus Felton and LB Brayden Stringer no longer transferring from Texas Tech

Moving can be a massive pain and it seems two Texas Tech players have agreed with that sentiment.

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal notes that both running back DeMarcus Felton and linebacker Brayden Stringer have apparently rejoined the football team and appear on the Red Raiders' latest roster despite both having announced plans this spring to transfer out of the program.

Felton, a senior, had tweeted back in May that he was pursuing a graduate transferaway from Tech after rushing for 529 yards and four touchdowns over three seasons as a backup. He provides added depth behind Da'Leon Ward and Tre King in the backfield, which is stacked outside of the looming question mark at quarterback for Kliff Kingsbury.

Stringer saw action in nearly every game over his two seasons in Lubbock but the junior had announced his transfer out of town in April. He now figures to rotate in some more behind Dakota Allen and fellow junior Jordyn Brooks.

That's not the only roster changes for Tech though, as the Journal notes that junior linebacker Kevin Moore, senior cornerback Jaylon Lane and sophomore punter John De La Garza (a walk-on) are no longer on the team. The biggest loss of that trio is likely Moore, who played in 12 games last season, while Lane started three times in 2017 but eventually found himself in Kingsbury's doghouse for unspecified reasons.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Lane was a standout in HS. Weird to go from starter to doghouse to off the team...
SigTauBear
Just goes to show how valuable star rankings and recruiter prognosticators can be.
57Bear
Thanks BiPolar - good thread
Russell Gym
Good idea. Maybe Slimecap will join us on the football board.
BaylorOkie
Good thread idea.
BiPolarBear
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kansas-names-former-arkansas-athletic-director-jeff-long-to-the-same-role/

Kansas names former Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long to the same role

Kansas has found its new athletic director, and it's somebody who has become very familiar to college football fans during the College Football Playoff era. Former Pitt and Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long has been named to the same role with the Jayhawks.

"Jeff Long has tremendous leadership and administrative experience in major college athletics, and he is a terrific fit for Kansas Athletics as we work to ensure our student-athletes succeed on the field and in the classroom," Kansas president Douglas Girod said in a statement. "Those who know him describe him as a man of character who cares deeply about higher education and the student-athletes he serves.

For all these reasons, we are thrilled to welcome him to the University of Kansas."

Long replaces Sheahon Zenger, who was abruptly dismissed from his role in May.

"My family and I are thrilled to join chancellor Girod's leadership team at the University of Kansas," Long said in a statement. "It was clear from the moment I met with the chancellor and his search committee members, they have a deep love for the university and understand and appreciate the positive role intercollegiate athletics plays in the university community. Through our conversations, it became evident we share a common belief that the student-athlete experience prepares young people for the challenges they will face throughout life. I am excited to work with the student-athletes, coaches, staff, the community of Lawrence and the incredible fan base to build on past success and create a shared vision for the future of Kansas Athletics."

Long brings plenty of experience to Lawrence, Kansas, most recently as Arkansas' athletic director from 2008-17. At Arkansas, he navigated the program through the high-profile saga in which coach Bobby Petrino wrecked his motorcycle and was abruptly fired after it was discovered he was having an affair with a woman who worked in the athletic department.

Long later served as the chairman of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee for the first two years of its existence in 2014 and 2015. Over the second half of his tenure with the Razorbacks, he was widely considered one of the best ADs in the nation.

As the football program sputtered to a 4-8 record, Long was dismissed in the middle of the 2017 season, one that saw coach Bret Bielema dismissed at the end of the campaign.

BiPolarBear
All things considered probably as good a get as Kansas can get. Even if Long was fired because of Arkansas' declining football fortunes. Oh wait...
BiPolarBear
Adam Kaye @adamkaye321 25m25 minutes ago
More

Replying to @ShehanJeyarajah
Apparently Jeff Long wanted to get as far away from the College Football Playoff as possible. Mission accomplished.
boognish_bear

BiPolarBear
I think he should immediately be made the Spokesman of the Big12 Athletic Directors. He had a couple great years making the incoherent BS of the College Football Selection Committee seem like coherent BS he can certainly make the Big12 incoherent babbling seem like only a babbling brook.
NoBSU
BiPolarBear said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kansas-names-former-arkansas-athletic-director-jeff-long-to-the-same-role/

Kansas has found its new athletic director, and it's somebody who has become very familiar to college football fans during the College Football Playoff era. Former Pitt and Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long has been named to the same role with the Jayhawks.

"Jeff Long has tremendous leadership and administrative experience in major college athletics, and he is a terrific fit for Kansas Athletics as we work to ensure our student-athletes succeed on the field and in the classroom," Kansas president Douglas Girod said in a statement. "Those who know him describe him as a man of character who cares deeply about higher education and the student-athletes he serves.

For all these reasons, we are thrilled to welcome him to the University of Kansas."

"My family and I are thrilled to join chancellor Girod's leadership team at the University of Kansas," Long said in a statement. "It was clear from the moment I met with the chancellor and his search committee members, they have a deep love for the university and understand and appreciate the positive role intercollegiate athletics plays in the university community. Through our conversations, it became evident we share a common belief that the student-athlete experience prepares young people for the challenges they will face throughout life. I am excited to work with the student-athletes, coaches, staff, the community of Lawrence and the incredible fan base to build on past success and create a shared vision for the future of Kansas Athletics."

Long brings plenty of experience to Lawrence, Kansas, most recently as Arkansas' athletic director from 2008-17. At Arkansas, he navigated the program through the high-profile saga in which coach Bobby Petrino wrecked his motorcycle and was abruptly fired after it was discovered he was having an affair with a woman who worked in the athletic department.

Long later served as the chairman of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee for the first two years of its existence in 2014 and 2015. Over the second half of his tenure with the Razorbacks, he was widely considered one of the best ADs in the nation.

As the football program sputtered to a 4-8 record, Long was dismissed in the middle of the 2017 season, one that saw coach Bret Bielema dismissed at the end of the campaign.

Oh wow!

A little surprising added to the tweets on terms ... could the KU Adidas problem have legs.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
NoBSU said:

BiPolarBear said:

Oh wow!

A little surprising added to the tweets on terms ... could the KU Adidas problem have legs.

NoBSU
Brian Ethridge said:

NoBSU said:

BiPolarBear said:

Oh wow!

I did not know that. Hilarious! So the AD fraternity knows something is coming or at least is a serious possibility.
PartyBear
The SMU AD turned it down? Interesting.

As to Long I don't think he helped the playoff sound sensible at all.

That said he is prominent in AD world. Good hire for KU.
ABC BEAR
So KU has doubled down on losing? I just didn't think that was possible.
BiPolarBear
Texas DBs Kris Boyd, B.J. Foster avoid serious injury in nasty-looking car wreck

By John TaylorJul 5, 2018, 11:17 AM EDT

It appears Texas' defensive secondary has avoided what could've been a significant one-two hit.

UT defensive back Kris Boyd (pictured) posted photos on his personal Twitter account on the Fourth of July of a mangled vehicle that was involved in a car accident earlier in the day. Boyd was apparently a passenger in a car being driven by teammate and fellow defensive back B.J. Foster when it was rear-ended by another vehicle.

Despite what appeared to be heavy damage to both the front and rear of Foster's vehicle, Boyd wrote that '[w]e're doing a lot better."

"Could've been gone but we are here," the fourth-year senior added.
[url=https://twitter.com/kris23db/status/1014685694046990336/photo/1][/url]
Boyd started 12 of 13 games for the Longhorns last season, finishing the year tops in the Big 12 in pass breakups with 15. The Associated Press named him second-team all-conference following the regular season.

A five-star member of the Longhorns' 2018 recruiting class, Foster was rated as the No. 2 player at any position in the state of Texas and the No. 3 safety in the country. Only one player in UT's class this year was rated higher than Foster fellow safety Caden Sterns.
BaylorOkie
Whoa. Glad those guys are ok.
BiPolarBear

West Virginia transfer Adam Shuler not yet enrolled at Florida

By John TaylorJul 6, 2018, 8:22 AM EDT

As far as summer developments go, this is certainly a mildly interesting one.

On June 11, Adam Shuler took to Twitter to announce that he was transferring to Florida, a move that came four months after he decided to leave West Virginia. Earlier this week, the Gators released an updated football roster and the defensive lineman's name wasn't among those listed on it.

Why? Shuler is not enrolled in classes, per Robbie Andreu of the Gainesville Sun, leaving his status for the upcoming season very much up in the air.

As a graduate transfer, Shuler, who has two years of eligibility remaining, would be eligible to play immediately for the Gators in 2018. What the holdup is in enrolling in graduate school is unknown at the moment.

Shuler, a three-star member of the Mountaineers' 2015 recruiting class, started 10 games this past season. In 12 games, Shuler's three sacks were tied for third on the team while his eight tackles for loss were good for solo third.

As a redshirt freshman in 2016, Shuler played in 12 games for WVU.
HuMcK
This thread is a good idea, and I just wanted to bump it back to the top. I would never have known about the contract rider pertaining to the FBI investigation without seeing it here, nor would I have known that the SMU AD turned KU down.
BiPolarBear
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/07/west-virginia-continues-heisman-push-for-will-grier-with-new-website/

West Virginia continues Heisman push for Will Grier with new website

By Bryan FischerJul 7, 2018, 12:35 PM EDT

We've seen players jump out to a hot start during the season and mockingly get dubbed the September Heisman winner but we're not sure if anybody's really gone for the award quite so hard in July. Such might be the case with West Virginia and quarterback Will Grier though, who unveiled their next step in a Heisman marketing campaign on Saturday with the debut of a new website.

For Mountaineers fans and others who can't get enough of No. 7's story, that address would be: www.Grier7Heisman.com.

It's a pretty slick design featuring all the usual bits of stats, family stories, preseason honors and the like. It comes hot on the heels of the school releasing a highlight video for Grier earlier in the week as a precursor for the full-on campaign.

The signal-caller, who transferred to the school from Florida, is the second-leading returning passer in FBS but still faces a bit of an uphill battle to actually win the award in 2018 (fancy marketing aside). In some of the latest preseason odds from Las Vegas for the Heisman, Grier was installed at 20-1 in a grouping with fellow QB's like Penn State's Trace McSorley and Washington's Jake Browning among others well behind those such as Stanford's Bryce Love or even Alabama's quasi-starter Tua Tagovailoa.

If West Virginia can get out to a hot start and remain in the running for the Big 12 title though, Grier certainly has a shot at winning the award. His play on the field, much more so than these types of campaigns, will do the most talking when it comes time to vote in November and December.

boognish_bear
It's a race in the B12 to trust the process...

BiPolarBear
So is Iowa state ditching the Ronald McDonald U look. I hope so. What I see of the new uniforms it looks a lot better.
WILLIS
Are they really much different though?
Timbear
We're seeing that Iowa St's process is working. Come on, Bears!
MilliVanilli
Brian Ethridge said:

Lane was a standout in HS. Weird to go from starter to doghouse to off the team...
Was it grades or personal problems?
PartyBear
BiPolarBear said:

So is Iowa state ditching the Ronald McDonald U look. I hope so. What I see of the new uniforms it looks a lot better.
The past few years they actually had a Southern Cal look.actually.
BiPolarBear
Transferring IN:

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/11/san-diego-state-transfer-mark-brown-lands-at-texas-tech/

San Diego State Defensive End transfer Mark Brown lands at Texas Tech

By John TaylorJul 11, 2018, 1:55 PM

It appears Texas Tech has indeed bolstered its defensive line, although it won't be an immediate boost.

Following up on speculation that has been simmering for weeks, Matt Clare of Rivals.com confirmed that Mark Brown has transferred into the Texas Tech football program. The defensive end had decided to transfer from San Diego State earlier this off season.

The move to Lubbock will serve as a quasi-homecoming for Brown as he went to high school in Fort Worth.

Brown was a three-star member of the Aztecs' 2017 recruiting class. He took a redshirt as a true freshman with the Mountain West Conference school, although he was named as the program's Defensive Scout Team Player of the Year.

After sitting out the 2018 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Brown will have three years of eligibility that he can use beginning with the 2019 season.
boognish_bear
This news is a month old...but i just came across it.

Whoa...Coach Bro actually kicked someone off the team. Way to go KK. This is this kid's second run in with the law. Let's see....Jett Duffey has also had at least 2 incidents, but remains scheduled to be the starting QB. How can that be?

Hmmmm....let me look up Quan Shorts stats...oh...only 13 catches in 2 years at pass happy TT. I get it now.

Russell Gym
boognish_bear said:

Whoa...Coach Bro actually kicked someone off the team. Way to go KK. This is this kid's second run in with the law. Let's see....Jett Duffey has also had at least 2 incidents, but remains scheduled to be the starting QB. How can that be?

Hmmmm....let me look up Quan Shorts stats...oh...only 13 catches in 2 years at pass happy TT. I get it now.

But QB is found responsible for SA & gets suspended in summer & rejoins team. Curvin Richards, we hardly knew you.
boognish_bear
Russell Gym said:

boognish_bear said:

But QB is found responsible for SA & gets suspended in summer & rejoins team. Curvin Richards, we hardly knew you.

Great analogy
boognish_bear
DustyM
HuMcK said:

This thread is a good idea, and I just wanted to bump it back to the top. I would never have known about the contract rider pertaining to the FBI investigation without seeing it here, nor would I have known that the SMU AD turned KU down.
Finally one that is just football. Outstanding.
boognish_bear
Progress....BU scandal does not make the top 5 topics. Probably 1-11 helped.

2018 Big 12 Media Days: Five topics that could turn up the heat in Texas this week

By Dennis Dodd 1m ago

There are two different ways of looking at the Big 12.

Oklahoma -- and thus the league -- blew an incredible opportunity in the Rose Bowl losing to Georgia in a College Football Playoff semifinal. That or the 10-team Big 12 is just getting started. Entering only its seventh year in its current configuration, the league has survived defection (Texas, A&M, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska), scandal (Baylor) and the downturn of one of its cornerstones (Texas).

Things seem to be on an uptick with a second CFP appearance in four years. The league is still basking in the glow of its third Heisman Trophy since 2008. OU isn't going away (definitely). Texas is rising (maybe).

We'll find out more this week at The Star in Frisco, Texas, during the Big 12 Media Days. Here are five things to watch throughout the week.

1. What will Oklahoma do for an encore? Lincoln Riley is favored to win the Big 12 again in his second full season as coach. But, gosh darn, there has to be a lingering hurt after a conference title, Heisman and playoff berth. Who doesn't believe OU would be defending national champion if it had held onto its 17-point lead against Georgia in the Rose Bowl? That's 17 points, folks, with six seconds to go before halftime. To that point, the Dawgs had given up slightly more than 13 points per game. Riley may coach for 30 more years, but he should know by far how hard it is to get to the playoff, much less win it. We'll see how the Sooners and Riley rebound.

2. Speaking of rebounds, what about Texas? The Big 12 needs to have Texas good again. Hell, Tom Herman needs to have Texas good again. "I'm not going to be around here," he told me during the spring, "if we keep going 6-6 [in the regular season]." Herman enters his second season in Austin with his top two quarterbacks and top two receivers. The Longhorns could finish as high as second. But nothing really changes at Texas or in the Big 12 until Texas starts challenging Oklahoma. For the good of college football, let's that hope Oct. 6 in the Cotton Bowl has national implications.

3. The nation's best quarterback may be in attendance: That case can be made for West Virginia's Will Grier. After a drug suspension at Florida, Grier has thrived under Dana Holgorsen and offensive coordinator Jake Spavital. Grier is a gunslinger in a conference that loves gunslingers. Most of his weapons are back. With no clear-cut favorite to be preseason first-team All-American quarterback, might as well pencil in Grier. He's already the best returning QB in the Big 12.

4. Bill Snyder, 78, begins season No. 27: Kansas State's coach will turn 79 in October. He has beaten cancer and doesn't seem like he's slowing down. Still, the biggest question among K-State fans is the retirement date of the game's oldest coach. Snyder continues to advocate for his son Sean, the special teams coach, to replace him. I'm told that won't happen whether Bill leaves this year or five years from now. Regardless, the Wildcats are a typically pesky bunch picked in the middle of the Big 12 pack.

5. Will we see solidarity throughout the league? The smallest FBS conference doesn't get enough credit. Two NFL drafts ago, the AAC had more draft picks than the Big 12. The overwrought exploration of expansion was a waste. But the Big 12 has been to two playoffs in four years and won a Heisman. No other conference plays every team in its league. Last year, half the league won at least eight games. The only other conference to do that was the Big Ten. It'll be interesting to see if and how the Big 12 publicizes itself. Time to get rid of the inferiority complex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.