Football
Sponsored by

Out of conference scheduling

15,128 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
ImwithBU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So are our new AD and coach working on OOC game schedule. Havent really heard anything about our future schedules in awhile. Might want to avoid SMU until we turn a corner (kaz is there now).We use to laugh about playing cupcakes until we became one last year but that's another story....
Depending on how we look in the 1st 2 games will let me know if I will be at McLane or Jerry's World (not a TCU fan but respect Patterson fire, that will be a good game with Ohio State)
BUBear24
BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

I'm pretty sure they're going to have to replace someone next year because of the Big12 bylaw that passed making every team play a P5 opponent. We don't have one right now.
Sampi82
BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

I'm pretty sure they're going to have to replace someone next year because of the Big12 bylaw that passed making every team play a P5 opponent. We don't have one right now.

This new scheduling requirement does not impact existing non-conference game contracts.
BUBear24
Sampi82 said:

BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

This new scheduling requirement does not impact existing non-conference game contracts.

Wasn't sure how that worked out. Thanks

Ole Miss was 2020 but I think that game is up in the air right now for whatever reason.
Robert Wilson
Long as we don't have anymore sht games like Liberty. What a snoozer.
Timbear
Yeah, we don't want any more of those stupid blowouts like Liberty. We really showed them!
SFLBear
From our opponents perspective, how does playing Baylor help them? Using only last year as a gauge, playing Baylor helps my SOS as much as playing SMU. Until we can get out of this losing funk and get back to our winning ways, I find it difficult to have a strong OoC schedule.

I admit, I don't know how it really works but ADs are trying to position their school to be in the playoff - nothing else. I don't see BU on someone's schedule helping them with that cause...today.

I don't see our OOC scheduling changing much and it isn't because we don't want to play with anyone else. They simply won't want to play with us.

BUBear24
SFLBear said:

From our opponents perspective, how does playing Baylor help them? Using only last year as a gauge, playing Baylor helps my SOS as much as playing SMU. Until we can get out of this losing funk and get back to our winning ways, I find it difficult to have a strong OoC schedule.

I admit, I don't know how it really works but ADs are trying to position their school to be in the playoff - nothing else. I don't see BU on someone's schedule helping them with that cause...today.

I don't see our OOC scheduling changing much and it isn't because we don't want to play with anyone else. They simply won't want to play with us.

I think from opponents perspective it's still a P5. The TCU/Minn game that helped keep us out of playoff comes to mind. Minn wasn't a world beater but by being very competitive and having a decent season it kept us and TcU flipped in the rankings all year.

You have one ****ty year, but considering the national perspective is Baylor being on the up and up and giving Rhule a huge benefit of the doubt for last year helps as well. We, as Baylor fans rightfully so examined last year under a very strong microscope. The National examination was one where ever story started with basically "a program still coming over a vicious sexual scandal/etc/etc". Now if next year is God awful too, yes it'll start the whole Baylor in the basement mentality we were used too.
ImwithBU
BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

Prettyr sure most if not all of these were schedule before Briles left. I know we have La Tech and Texas State in there as well. I was wondering about other years since we have a new regimen. Just curious to see how many people will answer their phone calls (shout out to Ian)
BUBear24
ImwithBU said:

BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

Prettyr sure most if not all of these were schedule before Briles left. I know we have La Tech and Texas State in there as well. I was wondering about other years since we have a new regimen. Just curious to see how many people will answer their phone calls (shout out to Ian)

Oregon is Rhoades, finalized in 2017.
CHP Bear
If we want to go bowling we better hang on to the current schedule(s) and be thankful. Of course that is if we win 6.
Loaded4Bear
Where is Thee and his little sidekick xiledinok on this thread? They are ready to tee up Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State at a moment's notice. They really don't grasp the fact that right now, we cannot beat Liberty or UTSA.
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
RioRata
BUBear24 said:

SFLBear said:

I think from opponents perspective it's still a P5.
The TCU/Minn game that helped keep us out of playoff comes to mind. Minn wasn't a world beater but by being very competitive and having a decent season it kept us and TcU flipped in the rankings all year.

You have one ****ty year, but considering the national perspective is Baylor being on the up and up and giving Rhule a huge benefit of the doubt for last year helps as well. We, as Baylor fans rightfully so examined last year under a very strong microscope. The National examination was one where ever story started with basically "a program still coming over a vicious sexual scandal/etc/etc". Now if next year is God awful too, yes it'll start the whole Baylor in the basement mentality we were used too.

An easy P5 win for the opponent at that.
CHP Bear
Loaded4Bear said:

Where is Thee and his little sidekick xiledinok on this thread? They are ready to tee up Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State at a moment's notice. They really don't grasp the fact that right now, we cannot beat Liberty or UTSA.
When I think of Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State on our schedule, I'm reminded of the following, "Some people think if you hit your fist against a brick wall long enough you'll make a door." Good luck with that.
4th and Inches
ImwithBU said:

BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

it was the prior staff as they mostly scheduled teams that were fairly local to us, alot of TX teams
BUBear24
Gruvin said:

ImwithBU said:

BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

it was the prior staff as they mostly scheduled teams that were fairly local to us, alot of TX teams
Yeah, CAB liked playing a lot of the old SWC foes back in the day, which I kinda liked.
SigTauBear
I liked having Rice and SMU on the schedule, not because of the possibility of wins, but for local Bears fans who remember the SWC days. That being said, what can be gained playing Liberty, ACU, and Incarnate Word, except for the embarrassment we had last year? Having those two former SWC teams and a P5 shouldn't be an issue. And it doesn't have to be Alabama or Penn State in their stadium. There are a number of P5 teams about at our current level to schedule with, like South Carolina or Arizona State or Purdue. The BU noncoference schedule has stunk for years.
CHP Bear
SigTauBear said:

I liked having Rice and SMU on the schedule, not because of the possibility of wins, but for local Bears fans who remember the SWC days. That being said, what can be gained playing Liberty, ACU, and Incarnate Word, except for the embarrassment we had last year? Having those two former SWC teams and a P5 shouldn't be an issue. And it doesn't have to be Alabama or Penn State in their stadium. There are a number of P5 teams about at our current level to schedule with, like South Carolina or Arizona State or Purdue. The BU noncoference schedule has stunk for years.
One could add the rest of the Big 12 in your last sentence, as well as other conferences. Granted other teams may have been a better drawn but without those schedules BU might still be "scrubby Baylor".
Aberzombie1892
SFLBear said:

That was probably more of a concern prior to (1) the institution of the CFP and (2) the P5 requirement that teams play a P5 OOC. Since those two changes have been implemented, if a P5 has a 12-1 record and wins its conference championship game, it will almost certainly make the CFP, as no team that has met those requirements has been excluded. A great example of this is 2016 Washington, who defeated 2-10 Rutgers OOC but still made the CFP.

The point is that, in the CFP era, the record of an OOC P5 has yet to make a difference in terms of whether a 12-1 P5 conference champ has made the CFP.
Robert Wilson
Aberzombie1892 said:

SFLBear said:

That was probably more of a concern prior to (1) the institution of the CFP and (2) the P5 requirement that teams play a P5 OOC. Since those two changes have been implemented, if a P5 has a 12-1 record and wins its conference championship game, it will almost certainly make the CFP, as no team that has met those requirements has been excluded. A great example of this is 2016 Washington, who defeated 2-10 Rutgers OOC but still made the CFP.

The point is that, in the CFP era, the record of an OOC P5 has yet to make a difference in terms of whether a 12-1 P5 conference champ has made the CFP.

Not things we need to concern ourselves with at this point.
MrGolfguy
I'd like to see a home & home with Arkansas, we always seemed to play close, competitive games with them back in the SWC.
BUbearinARK
MrGolfguy said:

I'd like to see a home & home with Arkansas, we always seemed to play close, competitive games with them back in the SWC.
Agreed!! 3 hr drive and I can see my bears for away games and 6 for home! Not just a p5 win but an sec west win for our resume'.
historian
I think the reason the cupcakes want to play us (or any other P5) is media exposure & the TV payout--they'll get big bucks just to be a sacrificial lamb on TV.

I seriously doubt any if Alabama's 3 cupcakes expect to win, but maybe they think they will look good losing to Bama (standard mindset for the SEC). Yes, Bama plays three easy teams this fall: Arkansas State, UL Lafayette, & The Citadel.

BTW, Ohio State plays Tulane & Michigan plays SMU & Western Michigan this year. Auburn plays Liberty & LSU plays Rice. And the SEC teams get them in September and November: the day we play TCU, several SEC teams will have easy wins. In addition, Clemson, Florida State, Penn State, Wisconsin, UCLA, & Oregon each have 2+ on their schedule this year.

Source: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/ncaa-football-schedules.php

As for Baylor's schedule next year, I think the last slot was filled late but under Rhoades. They probably got a waiver from the conference because it was too late to find another P5 with that weekend open. I am a bit surprised that there has been no announcement about 2025-26.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
NoBSU
BUbearinARK said:

MrGolfguy said:

Agreed!! 3 hr drive and I can see my bears for away games and 6 for home! Not just a p5 win but an sec west win for our resume'.
Sounds good in Fayetteville not Little Rock. Same with MBB.
BUbearinARK
NoBSU said:

BUbearinARK said:

MrGolfguy said:

Definitely. Although lr would be 45 min for me it just ain't the same for either sport.
NoBSU
BUbearinARK said:

NoBSU said:

BUbearinARK said:

MrGolfguy said:

Definitely. Although lr would be 45 min for me it just ain't the same for either sport.
Nor the return when Arky wants to play in DFW for recruiting.

I see why the BU coaches want to play in Little Rock. Both MBB and Football have pulled recruits out of Arkansas. Drew also recruited Monk. Outside of Monk, those recruits aren't in NW Arkansas. Of course, neither was Monk until his mom coincidentally moved for a job.
BaylorRocks
Loaded4Bear said:

"we"? Troll, go away. Get a life.
Thee University
Loaded4Bear said:

I have no sidekick except the 10 pansie-@$$e$ that agreed with your estrogen-dripping post. Those 10 are my cabin b!eeche$.

History has proven me 100% correct again. You limp-wristed bubble boys blubbered for years about us going undefeated and getting in. I've beaten you all down like the rented mules you are.

You asked for me. Here I am. Now, get to work and put up a post with backbone and nads that we can discuss.
Aberzombie1892
BUBear24 said:

Sampi82 said:

BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

Ole Miss was 2020 but I think that game is up in the air right now for whatever reason.

BYU doesn't count as a P5 for the Big 12.

Also, in regard to Ole Miss:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/9/19/16290538/ole-miss-ncaa-investigation-sanction-2020-baylor-game-contract
BUbearinARK
Thee University said:

post with backbone and nads that we can discuss.
So I searched for a gif with those terms and wow. I'd get kick'd outta here.
historian
Aberzombie1892 said:

BUBear24 said:

Sampi82 said:

BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

BYU doesn't count as a P5 for the Big 12.

Also, in regard to Ole Miss:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/9/19/16290538/ole-miss-ncaa-investigation-sanction-2020-baylor-game-contract
When the BYU matchup was announced, the Big 12 said it would count. They may have changed their minds since then but Baylor has not changed the schedule (too late).
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Loaded4Bear
Thee University said:

Loaded4Bear said:

I have no sidekick except the 10 pansie-@$$e$ that agreed with your estrogen-dripping post. Those 10 are my cabin b!eeche$.

History has proven me 100% correct again. You limp-wristed bubble boys blubbered for years about us going undefeated and getting in. I've beaten you all down like the rented mules you are.

You asked for me. Here I am. Now, get to work and put up a post with backbone and nads that we can discuss.
"Us going undefeated and getting in" is definitely off of the table. On this we agree.
Thee University
Are any of you limp-wrister posters able to conceive the respect and admiration we could have garnered had we scheduled at least 1 storied program and beaten the piss out of them? Anybody?

Art had us rolling and while he could not inject enough discipline to go undefeated, we would not have had to hang our heads when we boasted of rolling up 70 points on patsies.
DieUniversitaet
Ya, in meinen yonder years we would crush the apfelstrudels of San Jose and earn zee highest respect! The knudel-brained schreiben-pushers of dieser tag are such weenies!
Loaded4Bear
Thee University said:

Are any of you limp-wrister posters able to conceive the respect and admiration we could have garnered had we scheduled at least 1 storied program and beaten the piss out of them? Anybody?

Art had us rolling and while he could not inject enough discipline to go undefeated, we would not have had to hang our heads when we boasted of rolling up 70 points on patsies.
Your mindset is still perplexing to me. We lose one game to Oklahoma State in Stillwater and another game to West Virginia in Morgantown, WV. and were still conference champions. Does not matter if we play Texas State at our house or Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Most people outside of Baylor will not care or even bother to set their DVR to record. Baylor has a very tough road ahead and I just hope they can find a way to compete. We shall see what happens. Once again, it takes us three or four games to score seventy points. It is what it is.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.