Football
Sponsored by

Damn Playbook

8,752 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BUbearinARK
Sailor Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
la1037 said:

Big Playbook. Small Playbook. No Playbook. I don't care. Just make sure the system is built for a school that is disadvantaged with the big uglies in the trenches verses its competition. That is all I care about and Rhule has no clue on that. I am not even sure he comprehends that he is forever disadvantaged on the lines and if he is, he has no idea on how to deal with it.

I don't care about next level prep either. I only care about winning the Big 12.

Rhule wants a dominant LOS. So did Briles. So does everyone playing Madden. It's how football works.

If you care about winning the Big 12 again, you care about it too.
Thee University
la1037 said:

Timbear said:

It's amazing how Thee can come up with ways to debegrate the most successful period in Baylor Football History. Sheesh!
And in the same breath extol the greatness of 1-11. Agenda before brains.
Show me a post, a single post, where I said anything positive about 1-11. You can't. You are making things up.

I simply posted that we should not have lost to one of the worst Texas teams in modern history when playing for a spot in the F'ing Sugar Bowl. The SUGAR Bowl!!!!!
Thee University
Timbear said:

It's amazing how Thee can come up with ways to debegrate the most successful period in Baylor Football History. Sheesh!
I'm just here to make sure you knee pad busters are grounded and facing reality. I kept a lot of you boys from swan diving off the Alico Building over the past several years.

Throwing the football 50 yards downfield in a monsoon by a wide receiver who had taken fewer snaps than the KOT 1 QB did for intra-murals against a TCU D that had several freshmen (undersized) starting due to injuries was a travesty.

But wait, it gets better.

We come home to Waco to face one of, if not the worst Texas football team in 75 years with a Sugar bowl berth on the line. What do we do? More of the same with yet another WR winging it. When the Lake Air Leopard junior high coach finally fought his way down to the sidelines (along with the Delta Gamma coach) and jerked the headphones off the genius, the game was over.

At least we won the Mall Fight. At least I think we did.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
hodedofome
Thee University said:

Timbear said:

I'm just here to make sure you knee pad busters are grounded and facing reality. I kept a lot of you boys from swan diving off the Alico Building over the past several years.

Throwing the football 50 yards downfield in a monsoon by a wide receiver who had taken fewer snaps than the KOT 1 QB did for intra-murals against a TCU D that had several freshmen (undersized) starting due to injuries was a travesty.

But wait, it gets better.

We come home to Waco to face one of, if not the worst Texas football team in 75 years with a Sugar bowl berth on the line. What do we do? More of the same with yet another WR winging it. When the Lake Air Leopard junior high coach finally fought his way down to the sidelines (along with the Delta Gamma coach) and jerked the headphones off the genius, the game was over.

At least we won the Mall Fight. At least I think we did.

It took them a game and a half to figure out how to win without a QB.

Most coaches can't figure that out after a 30 year career.
CHP Bear
la1037 said:

Big Playbook. Small Playbook. No Playbook. I don't care. Just make sure the system is built for a school that is disadvantaged with the big uglies in the trenches verses its competition. That is all I care about and Rhule has no clue on that. I am not even sure he comprehends that he is forever disadvantaged on the lines and if he is, he has no idea on how to deal with it.

I don't care about next level prep either. I only care about winning the Big 12.

Last sentence, me too. I'll take the Big 12 every time. Wouldn't bother me if we only ran one play every time and won Big 12. Well maybe two plays. Element of surprise every now and then. Let the pros take care of the pros.
BoonDockSaint
Hell Texas couldnt win a National Title til they dumbed down their playbook

VY only had what....2 or 3 plays ??
Jacques Strap
BoonDockSaint said:

Hell Texas couldnt win a National Title til they dumbed down their playbook

VY only had what....2 or 3 plays ??
It was 3 plays.
1. Drops back to pass. If you feel lucky and he is wide open throw it. First always think run the ball, pass second.
2. Run the ball.
3. Hand the ball off and pretend you kept it.
He was really good as college QB running that playbook. Like really really good.
la1037
Bearish said:

la1037 said:

Rhule wants a dominant LOS. So did Briles. So does everyone playing Madden. It's how football works.

Decent point. Agreed. I definitely want a dominant LOS. It makes any system much easier to run.

I just don't recall us ever having the best LOS in the last 25 - 30 years following the team - with the exception of maybe 2014?

This is the core of my problem with Rhule's system. Briles didn't let that be an excuse. He won with or without the best line. Rhule's system will require a better line than the competition to win consistently against the big boys (unless the competition shoots themselves in the foot somehow). It will take years of success building our program back before we starting beating UT and OU with recruiting 4 and 5 star linemen. A very unlikely scenario.

"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
xiledinok
Oklahoma and Texas didn't have good players on their lines compared to 2000-2010. You cannot compare Tommie Harris or Gerald McCoy to the fat Phillips kid.
Compare UT's groups and there's dramatic differences.
Malcolm Brown might have been the best at UT this decade. He was a late 1st rounder surrounded by arena leaguers.
Look at the NFL drafts.

4 or 5 stars before they were exposed.
MilliVanilli
xiledinok said:

Oklahoma and Texas didn't have good players on their lines compared to 2000-2010. You cannot compare Tommie Harris or Gerald McCoy to the fat Phillips kid.
Malcolm Brown might have been the best at UT this decade. He was a late 1st rounder surrounded by arena leaguers.
Look at the NFL drafts.

Ut also exposed Briles' last class as truly UT caliber mirage of inflated stars.
xiledinok
MilliVanilli said:

xiledinok said:

Look at the NFL drafts.

Ut also exposed Briles' last class as truly UT caliber mirage of inflated stars.
Mike StoopID realized early that multi state gang set robber wasn't anything to build upon in his secondary.
Modern college football fans live vicariously through ranking services.
MilliVanilli
xiledinok said:

MilliVanilli said:

xiledinok said:

Look at the NFL drafts.

Mike StoopID realized early that multi state gang set robber wasn't anything to build upon in his secondary.
Modern college football fans live vicariously through ranking services.
I wouldn't give Stoops that much credit, they have no qualms historically keeping violent felons on the roster dating back to Switzer on through his brother.
Sailor Bear
la1037 said:

Bearish said:

la1037 said:

Decent point. Agreed. I definitely want a dominant LOS. It makes any system much easier to run.

I just don't recall us ever having the best LOS in the last 25 - 30 years following the team - with the exception of maybe 2014?

This is the core of my problem with Rhule's system. Briles didn't let that be an excuse. He won with or without the best line. Rhule's system will require a better line than the competition to win consistently against the big boys (unless the competition shoots themselves in the foot somehow). It will take years of success building our program back before we starting beating UT and OU with recruiting 4 and 5 star linemen. A very unlikely scenario.

Briles had a system that gave us a better chance without LOS depth, I'll agree, but his teams weren't any good until that depth was solidified. I mean, 4-8 sucks, too, and he even inherited Jason Smith.

But when we were winning championships, you better believe we were doing it at the LOS. 2015 was the best OL I remember. That's when JJ ran for 299 against UNC when the whole stadium knew he was getting the ball at every snap. With the QB injury fiasco, that was truly the "what could have been" season.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Thee University said:

I liked letting TCU tie us for one too!

What I did not like is letting inferior OSU and West Virginia give us a good old pigskin enema when we were ranked supposedly #3 and #4 in the nation at the time of being bent over.

I hated that San Jose State beat us over. What a national embarrassment those players were.
twd74
Ashley Hodge said:

Simple usually wins when you have a talent edge or have some schematic edge (fastest pace; superior conditioning for running plays). It gets tougher when talent equalizes.

In theory, I definitely crave simplicity and I think Art Briles was a genius for keeping things simple and using his advantages well.

I have been told by a scout that when our offensive linemen fully grasp the schemes and execute at a high level that this is the type of system that will be able to run against any defense in any weather (assuming we have strong, smart experienced upper classmen on the line). And that same scout thought we would see a defense that would be the aggressor as well and really adept at confusing good offenses. Time will tell. More than one way to skin a cat.

I just hope Rhule sticks to his guns. Whatever he believes, sell out to it and recruit to it.

Even with simple last year, we were going to struggle with a makeshift offensive line that was playing a few guys 20 lbs lighter than any other Big12 OL and inexperience at QB.
My biggest questions about the changes in Offense/Defense were whether or not the new systems will be a fit for Baylor in the Big 12 (with the emphasis on speed). Leading High School Programs tend to mimic the offense and defense used by the regional powerhouse College programs. My concern is many of the new recruits from Texas High Schools are confronted with a Penn State System that is completely foreign to them.
Time of course will be the judge; its all about how well the Staff can teach, and getting the players to buy into it.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
twd74 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Simple usually wins when you have a talent edge or have some schematic edge (fastest pace; superior conditioning for running plays). It gets tougher when talent equalizes.

In theory, I definitely crave simplicity and I think Art Briles was a genius for keeping things simple and using his advantages well.

I have been told by a scout that when our offensive linemen fully grasp the schemes and execute at a high level that this is the type of system that will be able to run against any defense in any weather (assuming we have strong, smart experienced upper classmen on the line). And that same scout thought we would see a defense that would be the aggressor as well and really adept at confusing good offenses. Time will tell. More than one way to skin a cat.

I just hope Rhule sticks to his guns. Whatever he believes, sell out to it and recruit to it.

Even with simple last year, we were going to struggle with a makeshift offensive line that was playing a few guys 20 lbs lighter than any other Big12 OL and inexperience at QB.
My biggest questions about the changes in Offense/Defense were whether or not the new systems will be a fit for Baylor in the Big 12 (with the emphasis on speed). Leading High School Programs tend to mimic the offense and defense used by the regional powerhouse College programs. My concern is many of the new recruits from Texas High Schools are confronted with a Penn State System that is completely foreign to them.
Time of course will be the judge; its all about how well the Staff can teach, and getting the players to buy into it.
you will be comforted to know that Rhule and staff are recruiting elite speed. The last class (18) is probably the fastest class ever recruited to Baylor. Here is one example of many.

twd74
Ashley Hodge said:

twd74 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

you will comforted to know that Rhule and staff are recruiting elite speed. The last class (18) is probably the fastest class ever recruited to Baylor. Here is one example of many.

Nice! Thanks Ashley.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Another WR Jackson Gleeson- elite speed. Someone may have looked at the roster and saw we gave a scholarship to a white WR and wondered if we were going away from speed... not so much

Backporch
bunation said:

From an earlier John Werner piece this year:

"..,Baylor coach Matt Rhule saw a team that was more accustomed to the demands of his coaching staff and showed a better understanding of the offensive and defensive schemes.

That War and Peace-sized playbook is still a monster, but the Baylor players have a better grasp of it."

I'm still baffled at professional coaches placing such an onerous playbook on young, part time student athletes, expecting them to pick it up in just a few weeks/months of practices. Stupidity? Maybe. Thoughtlessness? Absolutely. Consequences? Obviously!

Hopefully, our staff will wise up and simplify things for transfers and freshman whom coaches are relying on to play significant minutes this fall.

I truly believe this failing last year was a KEY REASON for our non-conference losses and some noticeable breakdowns on critical plays all season long.

Are we really expecting these young students to learn these complicated schemes, excel academically, and learn opponents' new schemes each week all while spending time in the weight room and catching enough rest?!
That's why they are coaches and you aren't.
bearlove89
la1037 said:

I don't care if they have a pink playbook
boognish_bear
bunation
OsoCoreyell said:

Geeze. I had a 50 page playbook in high-school. It was no big deal.

So John Werner should not have mentioned it?

btw, Cliff Notes and Easy Readers are 50 pages....
Dia del DougO
boognish_bear said:

They installed the Li'l Tikes basket in half the time it took last year.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
jbbear
Timbear said:

JBBear, you comment is stupid. Their scholarship is academic. They are amateurs. They have school, community and social obligations. Their job is not football as it is in the Pros. If they flunk out of school, no football.
Football scholarships are not academic scholarships. They must meet certain academic requirements to be accepted to the school and must maintain certain grades to keep their scholarship, but a full ride football athletic scholarship is not an academic scholarship. And they are not guaranteed for all 4 or 5 years.
Wichitabear
Omg. Swell
bunation
Backporch said:

bunation said:

"..,Baylor coach Matt Rhule saw a team that was more accustomed to the demands of his coaching staff and showed a better understanding of the offensive and defensive schemes.

That War and Peace-sized playbook is still a monster, but the Baylor players have a better grasp of it."

I'm still baffled at professional coaches placing such an onerous playbook on young, part time student athletes, expecting them to pick it up in just a few weeks/months of practices. Stupidity? Maybe. Thoughtlessness? Absolutely. Consequences? Obviously!

Hopefully, our staff will wise up and simplify things for transfers and freshman whom coaches are relying on to play significant minutes this fall.

I truly believe this failing last year was a KEY REASON for our non-conference losses and some noticeable breakdowns on critical plays all season long.

Are we really expecting these young students to learn these complicated schemes, excel academically, and learn opponents' new schemes each week all while spending time in the weight room and catching enough rest?!

Yep. 1 - 11 coaches.
bunation
Quote from Sam Bradshaw:

"Baylor's defense had two major obstacles to overcome in 2017 including a revolving door of faces due to injury and an entirely new scheme that was more complex than the prior system.

The season got off to the worst start possible for this version of the Baylor defense as they gave away the first game with repeated mental busts."
BUbearinARK
bunation said:

Backporch said:

bunation said:

Yep. 1 - 11 coaches.
Your overarching world view is astounding!
I’m an optimist!

And /S in case I missed it

TE
Matthew Klopfenstein 1 catch/5 yds
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.