Football
Sponsored by

CMR says he's opening up the playbook this seasons

3,640 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sailor Bear
ZatchZell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dman
OC is the single biggest area I was hoping to see Rhule make an adjustment. But He kept his old College buddy.

chorne68
I agree...play calling was poor last year. On third and short, the quarterback kept getting under the center and it would turn into fourth and longer. He would not learn. I was hoping the quarterback coach would call plays.
bularry
I don't know if more plays and formations is better or not but I hope it means overall execution is much improved
ZatchZell
bularry said:

I don't know if more plays and formations is better or not but I hope it means overall execution is much improved

Agreed, i didn't love our play calling or offensive ideology at all last year. But either way the execution ofnthose plays were piss poor. Hopefully we improve there first and foremost
Mr Tulip
Say what you want. You can either block an inside run or you can't.

If you can, you "open up the playbook". If you can't, the defense may as well be playing with 13 men.
Doc Holliday
Can't even execute simple plays.

...decides to make it harder.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
BoonDockSaint
Big 12 DCs just trembled with fear at the soon to be onslaught of the Baylor Offense

Baylor3216
Woohoooooooo
EatMoreSalmon
How long does it take to fully open the playbook?
bear2be2
Dman said:

OC is the single biggest area I was hoping to see Rhule make an adjustment. But He kept his old College buddy.
Name a coach who has fired his offensive coordinator one year into a major rebuild. Anyone who thought there was even a remote possibility that Nixon would be fired after last season was living in a dream world.

If this year's offense -- with a year of development on the line -- is a disaster, I could see a change being made. But we'll have a much better idea what kind of play-caller Nixon is this year than we got last year.
OnField6158
We're running 3x more plays than last year?

I, for one, am glad that our team has 6 plays to work with.
cowboycwr
Well it is about time he opened some sort of book related to coaching.

Now we will have to see if he reads it, follows it and then sticks to it during both practice and the entire game. Not just when we are down and he decides to open the playbook up.

Side note.... will he be sleeping in the office this season as well?
la1037
bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

Name a coach who has fired his offensive coordinator one year into a major rebuild. Anyone who thought there was even a remote possibility that Nixon would be fired after last season was living in a dream world.

If this year's offense -- with a year of development on the line -- is a disaster, I could see a change being made. But we'll have a much better idea what kind of play-caller Nixon is this year than we got last year.
Name a coach who took a program that averaged 9+ wins over the prior 6 seasons and wins only one game in his first season with 64 3 star and 10 4 star players on his opening day roster.

I bet you a ping pong table and a Little Tykes goal that Rhule stands alone in that stat.

It wasn't a major rebuild until Rhule bulldozed what remained standing. Giving this guy a pass because it was a "rebuild" makes me ill. Totally a false narrative. The ineptitude on offense was epic and groundbreaking. More plays in the play book I guess is a start because the old one's sucked.

"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
jbbear
la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

Name a coach who took a program that averaged 9+ wins over the prior 6 seasons and wins only one game in his first season with 64 3 star and 10 4 star players on his opening day roster.

I bet you a ping pong table and a Little Tykes goal that Rhule stands alone in that stat.

It wasn't a major rebuild until Rhule bulldozed what remained standing. Giving this guy a pass because it was a "rebuild" makes me ill. Totally a false narrative. The ineptitude on offense was epic and groundbreaking. More plays in the play book I guess is a start because the old one's sucked.

It's amazing how you conveniently forgot to mention we lost our last 6 games of the regular season the year before with the full Briles staff excluding CAB. So magically the next year with a completely new staff, new schemes and some significant roster turnover (including 3 projected starting OL leaving/medically retiring and 2 starting WR's leaving early for the draft....both idiotic decisions), we are going to win 9 games? Not to mention the distractions from the events that caused the changes. You are truly a delusional jackass. You might want to seek out Joel Klatt's analysis when Rhule was hired. He said this was a major rebuilding effort.
bear2be2
la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

You're missing some pretty significant events in your timeline there, but I'd expect nothing less from a dyed-in-the-wool CABer.
Grizz Air
la1037 said:

I'd take you up on that but i REALLY like my little tikes goal. And i'm 99% sure i would lose it.
Jacques Strap
Last year confirmed that keeping the playbook closed doesn't work. With that resolved this year we move on to experimentation with an open playbook looking for better results.
BaylorBJM
la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

LA-
Loaded4Bear
jbbear said:

la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

It's amazing how you conveniently forgot to mention we lost our last 6 games of the regular season the year before with the full Briles staff excluding CAB. So magically the next year with a completely new staff, new schemes and some significant roster turnover (including 3 projected starting OL leaving/medically retiring and 2 starting WR's leaving early for the draft....both idiotic decisions), we are going to win 9 games? Not to mention the distractions from the events that caused the changes. You are truly a delusional jackass. You might want to seek out Joel Klatt's analysis when Rhule was hired. He said this was a major rebuilding effort.

"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
xiledinok
la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

No more weeding out? Gotta have guys who can read and excute a play book.
He took the job because he was allowed to bulldoze. It's how he worked his program at Temple.
The wrecking ball decision was made after the Rice sideshow. No smart coach would take over after our section 8 style renters set the place on fire and let their trash blow all over college football without promises for several years.
No one would be stupid enough not to want the right to weed out. I think the foundation falling apart and the news reports of the jihadi transfer chasing a woman and her professor gave it away to the public that was had some human blight issues at Baylor.
The regents sacrificed football while a few folks sacrificed their careers and reputations.

In the end, it's difficult to switch from finesse Big 12 football to a more competitive style on the national level.
Doc Holliday
la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

Agreed. The ineptitude was absurd.
Fans have no clue just how unprepared and negligent Rhule was last season.

There's no excuse for it whatsoever.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
xiledinok
Doc Holliday said:

la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

He was told to clean house. You guys thought he was cruel. He needed to weed through and find the guys he wanted to keep.

It will get better. Those true freshmen will grow into juniors eventually and be able to compete.
Look at the quarterbacks last year. A true frosh, a lazy head case transfer and a gunslinger. It was s strong position compared to the offensive line.
BUbearinARK
Doc Holliday said:

la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

YEAH! Get the mob together this morning!!!!

I’m an optimist!

And /S in case I missed it

TE
Matthew Klopfenstein 1 catch/5 yds
Doc Holliday
xiledinok said:

Doc Holliday said:

la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

He was told to clean house. You guys thought he was cruel. He needed to weed through and find the guys he wanted to keep.

It will get better. Those true freshmen will grow into juniors eventually and be able to compete.
Look at the quarterbacks last year. A true frosh, a lazy head case transfer and a gunslinger. It was s strong position compared to the offensive line.
xiledinok
BUbearinARK said:

Doc Holliday said:

la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

YEAH! Get the mob together this morning!!!!

He's mad because their mob got stuffed, thrown in the trunk of the car, and dropped off for dead. Their screams for scalps fades with every KWTX story not even hitting the AP wire. "Look, it's those fake victims again, no need to cover."
xiledinok
Doc Holliday said:

xiledinok said:

Doc Holliday said:

la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

Cleaning house in 2017.
The guy was hired and allowed to get his own players on the field ASAP. The Baylor job is desirable but not with the former regime lurking.
la1037
jbbear said:

la1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

Dman said:

I didn't expect 9 wins last year. But I did expect 2+.

I'm Delusional? That's rich. Lets review since you see to have bought into the Baylor spin...

1) 1-11
2) Liberty/UTSA
3) 74 3* & 4* players
4) 6-0 and ranked 8th before Cary Gray/David Harper/Ron Murff kick these boys in the nuts to the DMN and WSJ and they go 0-6 after starting with a 1 point loss to UT in Austin (I was there) 2 days after the betrayal. It wasn't about talent. They lost their will to fight because the school they loved and played for shot them in the back.

I can't help you if you ignore the facts and hold on to a fantasy that this guy is the answer and he was given a team with no talent. The team was not a 9 win team last year but ask virtually anyone before last year (including you) what kind of record we would have and I don't know anyone who would have predicted less than 5 wins. It wasn't a total rebuild. It was at best a fill some holes year and keep going. Rhule blew it all to hell with ineptitude. And that is a separate issue than CAB. 1-11 stands on its own.

I applaud his recruiting. He might be able to recruit his way into a 6 or 7 win bowl eligible season (and I hope he does) but we will we not sniff a Big 12 championship with his current philosophy. I have seen this movie before and I know how it ends.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
Sailor Bear
chorne68 said:

I agree...play calling was poor last year. On third and short, the quarterback kept getting under the center and it would turn into fourth and longer. He would not learn. I was hoping the quarterback coach would call plays.
That's not bad play-calling. That's just a bad team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.