Football
Sponsored by

Brewer, Hurd, Fruhmorgen, Lovett

9,958 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by REvansBU71
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is it about Rhule that attracts these guys to Baylor and Texas?
To me they dropped out of the sky in our lap. I don't think it's an accident. Hurd was headed to California for an interview but stopped here on a whim and said "Hey, I'll sign here."
What's the attraction? I'm thinking Rhule.
Waco1947
Loaded4Bear
Isn't Brewer from Austin? I know Austin is Liberal as Hell but I still consider it a part of Texas.
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
Waco1947
Loaded4Bear said:

Isn't Brewer from Austin? I know Austin is Liberal as Hell but I still consider it a part of Texas.

Yes but he still called out of the blue. That's his commonality with the others.
Waco1947
Forest Bueller
Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Yes but he still called out of the blue. That's his commonality with the others.
I think he had a SMU offer so BU was a big upgrade.

Lovett was an East coast guy, like Rhule.

The other two wanted a fresh start, where better to get one than a rebuilding program. Rhule is a great salesman too.

Don't forget James Lockhart from aTm another guy needing a reset. Lot's of talent in that group.
MilliVanilli
I don't know if this team is as talented as the 2015 roster, but it's the most talent we've had since 2015.

And that's including had 2016 been full strength with that hyped but bust recruitment class intact.
BEARLINEPLAY
Coach Deleone coached Doug Marrone, the Jacksonville Head Coach at Syracuse. Jakes Dad
played pro ball with him and have remain friends.
Waco1947
Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

The other two wanted a fresh start, where better to get one than a rebuilding program. Rhule is a great salesman too.

Don't forget James Lockhart from aTm another guy needing a reset. Lot's of talent in that group.
Baylor rebuilding or Rhule or Both? I think Rhule has some way of connecting. Brewer is a mystery unless he knew Chad Morris was too hot a commodity as a coach and he might start right away. To hear Rhule tell it Brewer called them. I think
Waco1947
MilliVanilli
Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Baylor rebuilding or Rhule or Both? I think Rhule has some way of connecting. Brewer is a mystery unless he knew Chad Morris was too hot a commodity as a coach and he might start right away. To hear Rhule tell it Brewer called them. I think
Rhule is an exciting recruiter/ had a P5 card Morris did not.
Texasjeremy
Baylor was Charlie Brewer's only P5 offer.
Dia del DougO
These guys were in junior high when Baylor was emerging as a Big 12 contender and an exciting team with a high-flying offense. They were teenagers when Baylor was winning Heismans and winning conference championships. McLane Stadium is pretty awesome, facilities are quite nice. Waco is close to a lot of Texas players homes. Rhule talks a good game

Put it on paper.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Sampi82
Rhule's NFL ties and the same for some of his coaching staff may have something to do with it as well.
Colt B.
Staff
Texasjeremy said:

He actually had a WVU offer as well. Holg offered around the time Charlie committed to Baylor.
YoakDaddy
Colt B. said:

Texasjeremy said:

He actually had a WVU offer as well. Holg offered around the time Charlie committed to Baylor.

Didn't he have a fresh offer from Arky since Chad Morris accepted the HC job there?
BUrbon
Texasjeremy said:

The next Baker, just wait and see.
Play making that is, not his attitude.
DustyM
MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

If Rhule is such an exciting recruiter, why are we ranked in the 40s and TX A&M ranked near the top. I guess when this staff doesn't have immediate playing time to offer, the recruiting kind of drops off.
The_barBEARian
Rhule is a great talker.... any one that has heard him speak knows that. The question is can he coach 1/2 as good as he can talk.... and so far the results have not been satisfactory
Colt B.
Staff
YoakDaddy said:

Colt B. said:

Texasjeremy said:

Didn't he have a fresh offer from Arky since Chad Morris accepted the HC job there?

Morris was hired by Arkansas a year after Brewer signed with Baylor
Colt B.
Staff
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

If Rhule is such an exciting recruiter, why are we ranked in the 40s and TX A&M ranked near the top. I guess when this staff doesn't have immediate playing time to offer, the recruiting kind of drops off.

First, comparing Baylor recruiting to Texas A&M isn't a great route to take. They have and will always recruit better than Baylor, very similarly to Texas.

Second, Baylor's recruiting has been very steady under Rhule. The 2019 class is full of prospects that are wanted by several other major programs.

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

DustyM
Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

First, comparing Baylor recruiting to Texas A&M isn't a great route to take. They have and will always recruit better than Baylor, very similarly to Texas.

Second, Baylor's recruiting has been very steady under Rhule. The 2019 class is full of prospects that are wanted by several other major programs.

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

Sir, I think you just made my case. As for A&M, I have to ask why you think they should recruit better than Baylor.
BEARLINEPLAY
Recruiting will only get better the more juniors and seniors Baylor puts in the NFL
D. C. Bear
YoakDaddy said:

Colt B. said:

Texasjeremy said:

No, that was Bohannon.
BBWCBear
DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

Sir, I think you just made my case. As for A&M, I have to ask why you think they should recruit better than Baylor.

Well, to begin with I can think of $100mil reasons along with National credibility, THOUSANDS of sheep loving, overall wearing, inbred loyal Gumps not to mention the SEC. A state school versus a small private school.

Baylor has a fledgling guy who had TWO years of "success" at a no name college. You can take about three years out of the last 60+ that could be considered as ANY NATIONAL credibility. Plus, the national dumpster fire that is still smoking.

It's not fair to compare the two schools presently... or maybe ever. And I HATE that or anything aggy.
MilliVanilli
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Lulz, star chasing and argumentative do not an arguement make.

Rhule has done phenomenally well on the recruitment trail, as well as Briles, and he's recruited exceptional transfer talent to boot.
Wichitabear
Seriously? SEC! As hard as this is to believe and hard for me to understand, lots and lots of kids live to go to A&M.
YoakDaddy
D. C. Bear said:

YoakDaddy said:

Colt B. said:

Texasjeremy said:

No, that was Bohannon.

That's right. Thanks for the clarification.
Waco1947
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Unfortunately, we live a world of high anxiety and quick fixes.
BEARLINEPLAY
Many times its about Jacks and Joe's, not Xs and Os!!

Recruit- Recruit- Recruit!!!!!!!!!!!

Alert: " THE BROWNS FIRED BELICHICK"
DustyM
BBWCBear said:

DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

Well, to begin with I can think of $100mil reasons along with National credibility, THOUSANDS of sheep loving, overall wearing, inbred loyal Gumps not to mention the SEC. A state school versus a small private school.

Baylor has a fledgling guy who had TWO years of "success" at a no name college. You can take about three years out of the last 60+ that could be considered as ANY NATIONAL credibility. Plus, the national dumpster fire that is still smoking.

It's not fair to compare the two schools presently... or maybe ever. And I HATE that or anything aggy.
Sorry, but I disagree. Baylor has great facilities, a good education and has two recent conference championships. Being a state school, then why doesn't TX Tech do as well. Sorry, I just disagree.
DustyM
MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Rhule has done phenomenally well on the recruitment trail, as well as Briles, and he's recruited exceptional transfer talent to boot.
Your point is not made comparing Rhule to Briles. Two different coaches, two different times and situations. Baylor has two recent conference championships, a Heisman trophy winner, new facilities, including a new stadium, we are centrally located and we provide a good education. Then why are we behind, TCU, UT and OU. Since most of you did not like my comparison to TX A&M, then why the others.
D. C. Bear
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Your point is not made comparing Rhule to Briles. Two different coaches, two different times and situations. Baylor has two recent conference championships, a Heisman trophy winner, new facilities, including a new stadium, we are centrally located and we provide a good education. Then why are we behind, TCU, UT and OU. Since most of you did not like my comparison to TX A&M, then why the others.

You are asking why we are not recruiting at a higher level than UT and OU? Seriously?
Lawbear
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are asking why we are not recruiting at a higher level than UT and OU? Seriously?

That is a loser's mentality. The proper question is why we have not outrecruited Bama yet? The fact that Rhule has been here for 1.5 years and hasn't surpassed Saban yet is absurd. This will not stand.
Dia del DougO
Recruiting rantings are fun, but not tremendously meaningful. Especially after several players leave your nicely rated class only a year or two after they were signed.

I'd like to see updated ratings based on that classes second year, third year, and on, before you see what they actually turned out to be in the end.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
MilliVanilli
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Baylor was made a pariah in 2016 and Rhule came in in a calendar month and pulled together a respectable class with zero preparation and with only a single recruit committed before he stepped on campus.

He's done gangbusters given the circumstances.

Players play for a coach, not a school unless it has blue blood status or in Aggy's case cult status...and Aggy finally has a coach who has a natty on his resume to boot.

Baylor was appealing because kids played for Briles and Baylor will be appealing now because kids choose to play for Rhule.

Likewise TCU football IS Gary Patterson, nothing else gets kids there.

D. C. Bear
Dia del DougO said:

Recruiting rantings are fun, but not tremendously meaningful. Especially after several players leave your nicely rated class only a year or two after they were signed.

I'd like to see updated ratings based on that classes second year, third year, and on, before you see what they actually turned out to be in the end.
Just because Texas A&M underperforms their rankings by a whole lot on a regular basis do not mean recruiting rankings are not meaningful. They are very meaningful. Unless you're getting unusual attrition (see Baylor, 2016) reranking of the classes isn't that important since everyone has a level of attrition. How you recruit is the single most important thing in a successful program. If you don't have good recruiting, no amount of coaching or hard work will overcome that.

The fact that Baylor is recruiting at about the level of TCU after the Bears went 1-11 is a testament to just how good Matt Rhule and staff are a the recruiting process. When the Bears start winning, that will see a bit of an uptick.
241Bear
D. C. Bear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Just because Texas A&M underperforms their rankings by a whole lot on a regular basis do not mean recruiting rankings are not meaningful. They are very meaningful. Unless you're getting unusual attrition (see Baylor, 2016) reranking of the classes isn't that important since everyone has a level of attrition. How you recruit is the single most important thing in a successful program. If you don't have good recruiting, no amount of coaching or hard work will overcome that.

The fact that Baylor is recruiting at about the level of TCU after the Bears went 1-11 is a testament to just how good Matt Rhule and staff are a the recruiting process. When the Bears start winning, that will see a bit of an uptick.
What a coaching staff does with the class once they're on campus is just as important as getting them there, if not more important. Patterson at TCU has a history of coaching up 2- and 3-star guys and turning them into very good players, especially on defense. He has also had success moving players from their high school position to a new position in college and making them strong contributors. I hope Rhule and Co. can do the same.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.