Football
Sponsored by

2016 Recruiting Class Defectors - Where are they now?

4,895 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
hoop121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's no denying that the recruiting momentum for the 2016 and 2017 classes had us all dreaming of a future National Title, but has anyone done an analysis on what some of these players are doing now?

A quick look at the UT depth chart shows that many of those studs are still sitting the bench. In fact, Devin Duvarney's twin, the one some thought we were wasting a scholly on, is the only one listed as a starter.

Who else is still riding the bench and which previous commit has been the most successful? I think TreDavion Dickson is probably wishing he had stayed.
MilliVanilli
hoop121 said:

There's no denying that the recruiting momentum for the 2016 and 2017 classes had us all dreaming of a future National Title, but has anyone done an analysis on what some of these players are doing now?

A quick look at the UT depth chart shows that many of those studs are still sitting the bench. In fact, Devin Duvarney's twin, the one some thought we were wasting a scholly on, is the only one listed as a starter.

Who else is still riding the bench and which previous commit has been the most successful? I think TreDavion Dickson is probably wishing he had stayed.
Dickson would've never seen the field, he was dumber than a bag of hammers and would've probably dropped out of school for academic reasons.

Last report had him working the counter at a Central Texas Dairy Queen.

The UT defectors proved the former staff really were finally getting UT caliber recruits, entitled players with a bunch of recruitment stars that flop when put under the spotlight in big boy football.

Parrish Cobb is serving an 18 year sentence at present.

The 2016 class really was the final insult of the Briles era, or perhaps a bullet dodged if we are feeling charitable.

Texasjeremy
B.J. Autry, OL (Coffeyville CC)
Current: Jacksonville State (FCS) - Senior
2017 ALL-OVC First team
2018 Preaseason All-OVC
2018 Preseason FCS All-American

Brandon Bowen (Trophy Club, TX)
Current: TCU - Sophomore
Career stats: 2 G, 2 tackles

Parrish Cobb, CB (Waco, TX)
Current: Serving 18 year prison sentence for armed robbery.
Career stats: 4 G, 7 tackles (at Oklahoma)

Tren'Davian Dickson, WR (Navasota, TX)
Current: Texas Southern - Sophomore
Career stats: None (has not played a college game)

Devin Duvernay, WR (Sachse, TX)
Current: Texas - Junior
Career stats: 25 G, 29 catches, 536 yards, 3 TD

Donovan Duvernay, DB (Sachse, TX)
Current: Texas - Sophomore
Career stats: 2 G

Jeremy Faulk, DL (Garden City CC)
Current: Cleveland Browns
Currently in training camp with the Browns, listed as 2nd team DT on their depth chart.

Patrick Hudson, OL (Silsbee, TX)

Kenan Ivy, DB (Lancaster, TX)
Current: Out of football
Career stats: 8 G, 5 tackles for Navarro College in 2016

Kameron Martin, RB (Port Arthur, TX)
Current: Auburn - Junior
Career stats: 24 G, 118 carries, 773 yards, 5 TD

DeQuinton Osborne, DL (Kilgore JC)
Current: Out of football (was with the Dallas Cowboys during OTAs, but cut in May)
Career stats: 24 G (13 starts), 41 tackles, 9.5 sacks (2 seasons at Oklahoma State)

J.P. Urquidez, OL (Copperas Cove, TX)
Hubbs
Dickson is at Texas Southern now.
241Bear
Kam Martin picked up 749 rushing yds (6.7 yds per carry) and 5 TDs last year for Auburn. May start in 2018.
DeQuinton Osborne had 44 tackles, 11.5 for loss, and 6 sacks for OK State last year. All Big XII first team.
Patrick Hudson is a potential starter on OL for UT next year.
Brandon Bowen may start at DE for TCU opposite Ben Banogu.

So, some hits and some misses like every class at every school.
Texasjeremy
Here was their composite rankings as recruits:

98.03 (#5 WR) - Devin Duvernay (Sachse, TX)
97.44 (#2 OG) - Patrick Hudson (Silsbee, TX)
95.21 (#14 WR) - Tren'Davian Dickson (Navasota, TX)
93.11 (#12 WDE) - Brandon Bowen (Trophy Club, TX)
91.16 (#22 OT) - J.P. Urquidez (Copperas Cove, TX)
90.40 (#7 APB) - Kameron Martin (Port Arthur, TX)
90.22 (#28 CB) - Parrish Cobb (Waco, TX)
88.02 (#2 JUCO OG) - B.J. Autry (Coffeyville CC)
87.98 (#4 JUCO DT) - Jeremy Faulk (Garden City CC)
86.51 (#52 CB) - Kenan Ivy (Lancaster, TX)
84.78 (#62 ATH) - Donovan Duvernay (Sachse, TX)
80.19 (#28 JUCO DT) - DeQuinton Osborne (Kilgore JC)
57Bear
Thanks for your post Texasjeremy - good news about Jeremy Faulk.
Amarillobear
57Bear said:

I hope Jeremy Faulk has a long and prosperous career in the NFL. We kicked him out of school based solely on an accusation which was nothing more than an overreaction due to what we had just been through. It was the wrong thing to do. People deserve the right to due process. We did not even listen to him we just overreacted and kicked him out of school.

I am a Baylor letterman, a Baylor graduate and I love Baylor.
Wichitabear
You really have a way with words Milli. Lol I enjoyed reading that.
57Bear
Wichitabear said:

Thanks for not quoting!
Wichitabear
Lol
DioNoZeus
57Bear said:

Wichitabear said:

Thanks for not quoting!

bularry
I'm sure he was innocent, just like Sam U told the coaches
BUBear24
Feel bad for Brandon Bowen and Pat Hudson. Both of those guys have been riddled with injuries during their whole collegiate careers. I hope JP is enjoying his safe space his daddy wanted so bad, having Tom kiss him on the forehead and tuck him to bed...
SigTauBear
Only D. Duvernay and Hudson would I want back now now. Could you imagine Duvernay with Platt and Mims and Hurd? Goodness. And Hudson would start for us. Bowen maybe.
Jacques Strap

Quote:

Thanks for your post Texasjeremy
Co sign, Thanks Jeremy!
xiledinok
Cobb still has Oklahoma to deal with after Texas' sentence? I think he leaves Texas for punishment round 2. His daddy will have an old tired guy after Oklahoma finishes with him.
Keep that letter jacket clean for his release and return to Waco.
PartyBear
I'm not aware he had charges in Oklahoma. However if he does and they are minor, they may be dropped since he is doing 18 years in Texas. If they arent minor or they arent dropped they will probably run concurrently with he is doing here.
MilliVanilli
PartyBear said:

I'm not aware he had charges in Oklahoma. However if he does and they are minor, they may be dropped since he is doing 18 years in Texas. If they arent minor or they arent dropped they will probably run concurrently with he is doing here.
He was charged in a Norman armed robbery as well. Not sure the outcome of the charges.

https://newsok.com/article/5545451/former-ou-db-parrish-cobb-arrested-in-connection-with-norman-armed-robbery
Forest Bueller
Amarillobear said:

57Bear said:

I hope Jeremy Faulk has a long and prosperous career in the NFL. We kicked him out of school based solely on an accusation which was nothing more than an overreaction due to what we had just been through. It was the wrong thing to do. People deserve the right to due process. We did not even listen to him we just overreacted and kicked him out of school.

Same feeling here Amarillo. That guys was going to be a heck of a player for the Bears, incredible ability. Due process was not given him.

Then the uppity ups tried to blame the decision on coach Grobe. He stood up.
Forest Bueller
bularry said:

Well he, Sam, passed a lie detector, so I think more than just the coaches believed him.
hoop121
SigTauBear said:

Only D. Duvernay and Hudson would I want back now now. Could you imagine Duvernay with Platt and Mims and Hurd? Goodness. And Hudson would start for us. Bowen maybe.
The latest two-deep that I've seen for Texas doesn't even have Devin in it, but it has his brother starting. Devin is only listed as KR
xiledinok
PartyBear said:

Cleveland County Cf-17-583 Robbery w a weapon. They are still pending as of last week They are not minor. He ll be doing close to day for day. Apparently, it must not be a deal he wants. I bet they offered him 19 (he ll do at least 85 percent).
His dad needs to keep that State Championship letter jacket. The Friday night hero hopefully won't get converted to Islam in prison here in exile.
He is going to get those sentences stacked consecutively.
The DA played small college football, has a kid on scholarship at Memphis, and has a senior who is a 3 star recruit. The football star pleas for leniency won't cross the C of Christ Da's mind. He is a stout Christian. He's clueless if he thinks he is going to get a "free crime" in Oklahoma.
bularry
Forest Bueller said:

bularry said:

Well he, Sam, passed a lie detector, so I think more than just the coaches believed him.

And it turned out great No idea why you are arguing about this with me.
Johnny Bear
It's not exactly a fair assumption that all of these guys would've turned out the same under Briles and his staff's mentoring and player development. We're talking about a HC and staff that developed a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits that the UTs and OUs of the world turned their nose up at into back to back Big 12 Champions. We'll never know, but I can only imagine what might've ultimately happened with higher end recruits (which is what Briles was really just starting to get in any kind of numbers). Just because high expectation players flop at places like UT (a program by the way that is notorious for wasting 4 and 5 star players) doesn't automatically mean they would've been failures at BU, especially under a HC like Briles.
BealBear
Johnny Bear said:

It's not exactly a fair assumption that at all of these guys would've turned out the same under Briles and his staff's mentoring and player development. We're talking about a HC and staff that developed a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits that the UTs and OUs of the world turned their nose up at into back to back Big 12 Champions. We'll never know, but I can only imagine what might've ultimately happened with higher end recruits (which is what Briles was really just starting to get in any kind of numbers). Just because high expectation players flop at places like UT (a program by the way that is notorious for wasting 4 and 5 star players) doesn't automatically mean they would've been failures at BU, especially under a HC like Briles.

This but the Briles haters will tell you a different story.
Mr Tulip
hoop121 said:

SigTauBear said:

The latest two-deep that I've seen for Texas doesn't even have Devin in it, but it has his brother starting. Devin is only listed as KR

Devin should be an asset for Texas this season. His trade is pure speed.

In order to use that weapon, you have to have time to develop a passing route. With no credible run threat last season, the defenses stacked the LOS against the Horns. Since the ball had to come out so quickly, there really wasn't an opportunity for Devin to burn defenses.

*IF* the Texas OL improves this season (there are reasons why it will, but the proof can only come when an angry defense beats on it), the running game should at least be enough to keep defenses honest. If camp is any indication, Devin is set to be a real weapon in the slot.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Johnny Bear said:

It's not exactly a fair assumption that all of these guys would've turned out the same under Briles and his staff's mentoring and player development. We're talking about a HC and staff that developed a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits that the UTs and OUs of the world turned their nose up at into back to back Big 12 Champions. We'll never know, but I can only imagine what might've ultimately happened with higher end recruits (which is what Briles was really just starting to get in any kind of numbers). Just because high expectation players flop at places like UT (a program by the way that is notorious for wasting 4 and 5 star players) doesn't automatically mean they would've been failures at BU, especially under a HC like Briles.

True and you can never know about injuries changing the course of a college career.

Bowen and Hudson have been hurt.
Urquidez was seen as slow footed, but big and he's shown that so far.
Dickson left under the previous staff
Devin would have been different under Briles, like Goodley, but a little faster.

Another reason why it always surprises me to see a 6-1 210 LB go to Alabama and wash out if he's not 240 in a year or two. That isn't the system they run. Same for a 5-9 170 WR not going to Tech or another spread team. Go to the system which utilizes your talents and gets you an education.
Jacques Strap
CAB had a rare and unique talent. He could scout and spot players that would fit in his system. Then he would develop and motivate them and eventually place them in a position to be successful. And many were successful. And his teams were successful dramatically outperforming recruiting ranking expectations. He won the his first Big 12 title with what... the 4th or 5th best recruiting ranked roster in the league? It is a rare coach that can beat yours with his and then turn around and beat his with yours. Once in a lifetime coach at a place like Baylor.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Jacques Strap said:

CAB had a rare and unique talent. He could scout and spot players that would fit in his system. Then he would develop and motivate them and eventually place them in a position to be successful. And many were successful. And his teams were successful dramatically outperforming recruiting ranking expectations. He won the his first Big 12 title with what... the 4th or 5th best recruiting ranked roster in the league? It is a rare coach that can beat yours with his and then turn around and beat his with yours. Once in a lifetime coach at a place like Baylor.
I'd say the roster for 2013 and 2014 was 3rd best on signing day paper behind Texas and OU.
Jacques Strap
Brian Ethridge said:

Jacques Strap said:

I'd say the roster for 2013 and 2014 was 3rd best on signing day paper behind Texas and OU.
No way I'm not going to argue with a recruiting expert! If you say 3rd then 3rd it is.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Jacques Strap said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Jacques Strap said:

No way I'm not going to argue with a recruiting expert! If you say 3rd then 3rd it is.

Far from an expert.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.