Football
Sponsored by

Home and home with Auburn announced

2,789 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BUbearinARK
LTbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/08/16/baylor-announces-home-home-auburn-2025-2026
LTbear
Well damn, just saw the sticky thread at top. Apologies.
REvansBU71
BU/Arkansas would have much more interest, IMO.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
PartyBear
I wonder who the HCs will be?
Lawbear
It is like nothing Baylor does makes people happy. We schedule a top SEC team and the response is that playing a much lesser SEC team would be preferred? Seriously?

Maybe my strong sarcasm meter is just down tonight?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
LTbear said:

Well damn, just saw the sticky thread at top. Apologies.

It's ok LT
LTbear
Lawbear said:

It is like nothing Baylor does makes people happy. We schedule a top SEC team and the response is that playing a much lesser SEC team would be preferred? Seriously?

It's not sarcasm - he's probably just referring to the fact that all else equal, Arky still generates much more interest as an opponent among Baylor fans old enough to remember the SWC. We had many great games against the pigs.
canoso
LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

It's not sarcasm - he's probably just referring to the fact that all else equal, Arky still generates much more interest as an opponent among Baylor fans old enough to remember the SWC. We had many great games against the pigs.
True enough. But isn't there a respected poster here whose motto is "the past is last"?
bularry
LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

Not this Baylor fan that remembers SWC
Stranger
PartyBear said:

I wonder who the HCs will be?

That gets my vote for post of the evening!
I'm a Bearbacker
LTbear
bularry said:

LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

Not this Baylor fan that remembers SWC

Boooo
Johnny Bear
LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

True - in fact the overall series record is very close with Arky having only a slight lead. Baylor typically gave them fits, even in many of our down years, especially when the games were either played in Waco or Fayetteville (they tended to beat us pretty bad when the game was in Little Rock; otherwise, Baylor would have a winning record in the series). We really did have a good rivalry with them which I've always missed since they went to the SEC in the early 90's.
NoBSU
LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

Plus Rev is from NW Ark and could grab a bite of AQ Chicken. You could also claim that after grabbing Bohannon out of Arkansas it would be more directly related to recruiting. I think it is a personal preference not a complaint.
BUBear24
NoBSU said:

LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

Plus Rev is from NW Ark and could grab a bite of AQ Chicken. You could also claim that after grabbing Bohannon out of Arkansas it would be more directly related to recruiting. I think it is a personal preference not a complaint.
don't forget Hanspard was taking from Arky also.
Aberzombie1892
Lawbear said:

This make sense.

While yes, Arkansas would be more exciting to some long time Baylor fans, those that complain need to ask themselves when was the last time that Baylor played a regular season opponent that will likely be the caliber of Auburn at Baylor's home stadium. It's been awhile.
MrGolfguy
Aberzombie1892 said:

Lawbear said:

... those that complain need to ask themselves when was the last time that Baylor played a regular season opponent that will likely be the caliber of Auburn at Baylor's home stadium. It's been awhile.

I assume you mean non-conf because highly touted conference opponents have been coming to play in Waco on a yearly basis for 90+ years. Then answer is likely 1997 when the Miami Canes came to Waco to open the season; the last SEC team to play at Baylor's home stadium was Mississippi St in 1995.
BaylorOkie
NoBSU said:

LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

I ate at AQ several months ago. Still good chicken, but that old place hasn't been touched in at least 30 years. It's on its last leg. Too bad.
NoBSU
BaylorOkie said:

NoBSU said:

LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

I ate at AQ several months ago. Still good chicken, but that old place hasn't been touched in at least 30 years. It's on its last leg. Too bad.
They closed the newer one in Fayetteville a couple of years ago. I love the sampler plate with all their chicken options.
BearN
MrGolfguy said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Lawbear said:

... those that complain need to ask themselves when was the last time that Baylor played a regular season opponent that will likely be the caliber of Auburn at Baylor's home stadium. It's been awhile.

I assume you mean non-conf because highly touted conference opponents have been coming to play in Waco on a yearly basis for 90+ years. Then answer is likely 1997 when the Miami Canes came to Waco to open the season; the last SEC team to play at Baylor's home stadium was Mississippi St in 1995.

I think you have to go back further than that to find an OOC team of Auburn's caliber in Waco. (Of course, who knows if they will be any good by the time this game gets here.) That 97 Miami team only had 5 wins that year. The Ole Miss and Miss St around that time were only 6 win teams.

I think you have to go all the way back to 1986 USC, and that was just a 7-5 team tied for 4th in the Conference, but I got tired of googling, so I will pause there for now.

Incidentally, we did go on the road in 98 and played a good 9-3 Notre Dame team, and in 97 went up and took on Michigan who went 12-0 and was voted AP#1. Notice neither of them granted us a home and home.
NoBSU
BearN said:

MrGolfguy said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Lawbear said:

I think you have to go back further than that to find an OOC team of Auburn's caliber in Waco. (Of course, who knows if they will be any good by the time this game gets here.) That 97 Miami team only had 5 wins that year. The Ole Miss and Miss St around that time were only 6 win teams.

I think you have to go all the way back to 1986 USC, and that was just a 7-5 team tied for 4th in the Conference, but I got tired of googling, so I will pause there for now.

Incidentally, we did go on the road in 98 and played a good 9-3 Notre Dame team, and in 97 went up and took on Michigan who went 12-0 and was voted AP#1. Notice neither of them granted us a home and home.
Colorado in the early 90s.
Aberzombie1892
1992 Colorado, with a 9-2-1 record, appears to be the closest team from that date forward. 26 years.
BearN
Good catch. I forgot they were not yet in the B12, and they gave us a home and home as well.
NoBSU
Aberzombie1892 said:

1992 Colorado, with a 9-2-1 record, appears to be the closest team from that date forward. 26 years.
And they won a National Championship in 1990.
PartyBear
Based on how far out home and home series are scheduled, that home and home with CU would have been scheduled in the mid 80s when we were about even (about the time we met in the Bluebonnet Bowl). It could have even been before then when CU was a very weak program. You never know how things will be by the time the home and home occurs. The home and home against Miami was probably as big or bigger than how this Auburn one appears as of today at the time it was arranged. The home and home against USC played in the mid 80s like wise should not be forgotten.
xiledinok
PartyBear said:

Based on how far out home and home series are scheduled, that home and home with CU would have been scheduled in the mid 80s when we were about even (about the time we met in the Bluebonnet Bowl). It could have even been before then when CU was a very weak program. You never know how things will be by the time the home and home occurs. The home and home against Miami was probably as big or bigger than how this Auburn one appears as of today at the time it was arranged. The home and home against USC played in the mid 80s like wise should not be forgotten.

Baylor didn't duck and dodge competition during the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. You think when they suited up Miami in the mid to late 90s, they had scheduled the game the prior spring? Colorado was improving when they scheduled them. Teaff's record wasn't built on the sterilization of 8th place teams in the Southland.
It's embarrassing that Texas, Tech, Aggie and others showed less fear playing tough non conference games.
A tough non conference game will pay dividends in conference. It might mean a loss for the vegetable medley football fans.
The veggie fanboys don't like being 0-1 or 2-1 going into conference. They'd rather have the illusion that greatness was ahead after beating Lamar by 35 while giving up 35 (a week after Lamar whipped NAIA cripple Bacone College by 13).
Thee University
xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

Baylor didn't duck and dodge competition during the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. You think when they suited up Miami in the mid to late 90s, they had scheduled the game the prior spring? Colorado was improving when they scheduled them. Teaff's record wasn't built on the sterilization of 8th place teams in the Southland.
It's embarrassing that Texas, Tech, Aggie and others showed less fear playing tough non conference games.
A tough non conference game will pay dividends in conference. It might mean a loss for the vegetable medley football fans.
The veggie fanboys don't like being 0-1 or 2-1 going into conference. They'd rather have the illusion that greatness was ahead after beating Lamar by 35 while giving up 35 (a week after Lamar whipped NAIA cripple Bacone College by 13).
Where is Bacon U?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
NoBSU
Bacone College is an American Baptist school in Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA.

Up against the wall country.
xiledinok
Bacone has 900 students. Word was back in May that they were closing the doors. However, they are open for now but the football program went away in June.

I ll correct the score. I checked. It was 66-3. Either way, it was lower division NAIA team.

Thee, Merle Haggard's Muskogee, Oklahoma doesn't exist. No b.s., they did have a mall fight a while back. Shots were fired. Six shot, one dead.
REvansBU71
NoBSU said:

LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

Yep, true....a Rogers Mountaineer. AQ was THE NW Ark restaurant in the late 40's, 50s, 60s.....slowly getting "meh" thereafter.
I have a Lance Alworth tearaway jersey, but BU stole my heart in 1957.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
NoBSU
REvansBU71 said:

NoBSU said:

LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

Yep, true....a Rogers Mountaineer. AQ was THE NW Ark restaurant in the late 40's, 50s, 60s.....slowly getting "meh" thereafter.
I have a Lance Alworth tearaway jersey, but BU stole my heart in 1957.
It's all over for Rogers now. Shop at Cabellas or game at Dave & Busters while you wait on a table at Ruth's Chris.

The AMP is a great place to watch a band. And Crystal Bridges is a short drive north. So, I guess it isn't the end of the world.
BUbearinARK
LTbear said:

Lawbear said:

I think he was just thinking of my convenience. Much appreciated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.