Football
Sponsored by

Duke football analyst "Baylor is really, really bad on defense"

19,537 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RickyButler
Fozzie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-125-football-is-2-0

15:50 mark

"Baylor is awful on defense. Really, really bad on defense."

"I really like the way this sets up for Duke."

"we are a heck of a lot better than the Baylor Bears"

Someone get that to the proper people. Our defensive players need to hear this.
PartyBear
Let them be over confident.
tstuck
I mean I don't think our defense has looked very good yet. Average at best.
contrario
Our fans say the same thing. And I'm sure the players read this message board once in a while.
Surf Oso
I'll take that overconfidence, but I highly doubt the Duke coaching staff shares this guy's 'opinions'.
Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm
Ashley Hodge
Staff
when you have 9 of your 22 two deep on defense not playing or limited in the first two games, it will have its affect. Fortunately for the Bears, the defense is expected to be at 100% full strength this week- Jackson may be the only exception.

Hunt
Roberts
Thompson
Johnston
Hand
Vaughns
Logan
Jackson
Bernard

Looking forward to watching this defense at full speed. And there is a lot of speed and physicality when healthy. Hunt should make a huge difference on the DL.
Stranger
My question is why Baylor is a six and a half point favorite?

I agree that our defense is lousy. At our house we think betting Duke might be the plan.
I'm a Bearbacker
BylrFan
Stranger said:

Duke lost their star QB/CB and it's in Waco.
bularry
Ashley Hodge said:

when you have 9 of your 22 two deep on defense not playing or limited in the first two games, it will have its affect. Fortunately for the Bears, the defense is expected to be at 100% full strength this week- Jackson may be the only exception.

Hunt
Roberts
Thompson
Johnston
Hand
Vaughns
Logan
Jackson
Bernard

Looking forward to watching this defense at full speed. And there is a lot of speed and physicality when healthy. Hunt should make a huge difference on the DL.

I don't think we have that much speed, personally
JXL
Both ACU and UTSA were able to run outside on us, so it's fair to say that our defense has not looked it's best.
MilliVanilli
We have a talented Dl when all the bodies are available, that will make the whole defense better.
Dman
Talk is cheap. We either Prove them wrong. Or they are right. I hope our coaches and players can gloat after.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
we have some guys that did this in high school. I doubt they got slower when they stepped on campus. Baylor has great speed on both sides of the ball at DB/WR. I won't get in a tit for tat though you can believe what you want to believe. Will you at least acknowledge that Kalon Barnes is fast?

4.4 laser

bear2be2
This is really superficial and hyperbolic "analysis" that is at times just flat out factually inaccurate. It's not really worth getting worked up about.

This will be a tough game for our Bears because Duke is a solid team, but the gap between these teams isn't nearly as large as this clown thinks.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
it will absolutely be a tough game. Duke is a well coached team with a fantastic front 7 on defense. In some ways this kind of reminds me of when Baylor played UCONN at home in 2009. I think we are a better football team than that Baylor football team but that is debatable. We should be a tougher team, UCONN manhandled us physically that day. Had RG3 stayed healthy that year, I don't think there is any question that would have likely been a bowl team.

Probably would have knocked off Iowa State, Nebraska and Texas Tech or at least 2 of those teams.

Really big game for the Rhule era. Win this and a lot more Baylor fans get on board.
Mr Tulip
My main concern is the unknown of the Duke offense. Right now, I'd almost rather Baylor face the known of the passing QB.

Flatly, I'm not confident in the defense's ability to adjust schemes on the fly. Duke has been given a week to think up running plays (and the requisite blocking schemes) that play to their 2nd QB's strengths. Baylor will have to identify these schemes and defeat them in-game without losing shape or flattening out.

The want-to and hustle is individually there. I need to see team and unit awareness.
KAK
Ashley Hodge said:

Hunt
Roberts
Thompson
Johnston
Hand
Vaughns
Logan
Jackson
Bernard

Seems I remember hearing something like this last year after game one and two. It would make sense that we will be better but hard to believe until I see it. I hope to see it...
Forest Bueller
Ashley Hodge said:

we have some guys that did this in high school. I doubt they got slower when they stepped on campus. Baylor has great speed on both sides of the ball at DB/WR. I won't get in a tit for tat though you can believe what you want to believe. Will you at least acknowledge that Kalon Barnes is fast?

4.4 laser

Boogie is lightning.

I think he mean the D isn't overly fast. Hopefully they prove that wrong.
Nick Nolte
Duke Football Analyst sounds like a really crappy job.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
we did get a lot better defensively as the year went along.

I think we were 3rd in the conference in defense starting in November games. Something like that. Now granted we had already played the best offenses. But still showed some progress near the end of the season. With suspensions and injuries, we started out of the gate slow this year. But I expect we will see significantly better defense as the year unfolds. That's been Snow's history.
Big12Bear
Ashley Hodge said:

it will absolutely be a tough game. Duke is a well coached team with a fantastic front 7 on defense. In some ways this kind of reminds me of when Baylor played UCONN at home in 2009. I think we are a better football team than that Baylor football team but that is debatable. We should be a tougher team, UCONN manhandled us physically that day. Had RG3 stayed healthy that year, I don't think there is any question that would have likely been a bowl team.

Probably would have knocked off Iowa State, Nebraska and Texas Tech or at least 2 of those teams.

Really big game for the Rhule era. Win this and a lot more Baylor fans get on board.
I made the UCONN comparison a few days ago and agree 100%. The Duke defense has not given up a single point in the 4th quarter in SEVEN CONSECUTIVE GAMES. They are no joke and would be ranked right now if they were a name brand in football.
Dia del DougO
See, why pay for expert football analysis when you can get gold like this for free?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Edmund 1
I don't know who this "Duke analyst" is - but Duke fans are generally thinking this is a 50-50 game at best for Duke....without our QB, our best DB, and being in Waco, and Baylor's coach in his second year. This analyst guy is an outlier for sure.
Johnny Quest is the all time greatest cartoon.....
Grizz Air
We have some serious star power on D: lewis, hunt, both lynches, hand, barnes, etc. I just wanna see some smart, no mistake football and then I think it will all come together. Unfortunately for us, i think Mr. Armchair Analyst is right: we are bad on D and i do not like our chances against Duke. Maybe at the end of the season we could handle them, but not now.
Bgleaton
I just saw the 2-deep posted for the Duke game. Tyrone Hunt is still not listed and Harrison Hand isn't on there either. R. Saulin is listed as the #2 at DT. Are these guys still hurt?
pilgrim
Our defense is not really, really, really bad, but it's not very good.
boxster
Stranger said:

I agree that our defense is lousy. At our house we think betting Duke might be the plan.
I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell ya.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
SIC EM 94
Grizz Air said:

We have some serious star power on D: lewis, hunt, both lynches, hand, barnes, etc. I just wanna see some smart, no mistake football and then I think it will all come together. Unfortunately for us, i think Mr. Armchair Analyst is right: we are bad on D and i do not like our chances against Duke. Maybe at the end of the season we could handle them, but not now.

You are aware their starting QB is out and Baylor is favored by 6.5 right?
YoakDaddy
BylrFan said:

Stranger said:

And an FCS team rolled up 220 yards on the ground on us.
Baylorhtownfan
The positivity is a fresh of breath air. Here's to a nice showing on both sides of the ball. Big game!
oldbear69
Fozzie said:

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-125-football-is-2-0

15:50 mark

"Baylor is awful on defense. Really, really bad on defense."

"I really like the way this sets up for Duke."

"we are a heck of a lot better than the Baylor Bears"

Someone get that to the proper people. Our defensive players need to hear this.
Bear8084
YoakDaddy said:

BylrFan said:

Stranger said:

And an FCS team rolled up 220 yards on the ground on us.
And then the defense was 100 yards better in run D the next game.
BluesBear
If the weather forecasts are true - it will be miserable out. Containment is key. That will be difference for the defense.

It'll be a low scoring battle.
bear2be2
pilgrim said:

Our defense is not really, really, really bad, but it's not very good.
See, I think this is fair.
Media Bear
bear2be2 said:

This is really superficial and hyperbolic "analysis" that is at times just flat out factually inaccurate. It's not really worth getting worked up about.

This will be a tough game for our Bears because Duke is a solid team, but the gap between these teams isn't nearly as large as this clown thinks.
I seem to recall the "analysis" a couple of scribes with the Boulder Daily Camera offered a few years back when BU was considered a sure victory for the Buffs.

Didn't turn out too well for them either ...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.