Football
Sponsored by

Duke football analyst "Baylor is really, really bad on defense"

19,527 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RickyButler
Timbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Conner Martin could be the MVP of this game.
bear2be2
Media Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

This is really superficial and hyperbolic "analysis" that is at times just flat out factually inaccurate. It's not really worth getting worked up about.

This will be a tough game for our Bears because Duke is a solid team, but the gap between these teams isn't nearly as large as this clown thinks.
I seem to recall the "analysis" a couple of scribes with the Boulder Daily Camera offered a few years back when BU was considered a sure victory for the Buffs.

Didn't turn out too well for them either ...
I remember that well. It was fun watching those clowns eat crow after all the nonsense they spewed. Hopefully this weekend will yield similar results.
trey3216
Stranger said:

My question is why Baylor is a six and a half point favorite?

I agree that our defense is lousy. At our house we think betting Duke might be the plan.
I hope we pound them into oblivion just to see you squirm, ***** and moan.

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SATXBear
Mr Tulip said:

My main concern is the unknown of the Duke offense. Right now, I'd almost rather Baylor face the known of the passing QB.

Flatly, I'm not confident in the defense's ability to adjust schemes on the fly. Duke has been given a week to think up running plays (and the requisite blocking schemes) that play to their 2nd QB's strengths. Baylor will have to identify these schemes and defeat them in-game without losing shape or flattening out.

The want-to and hustle is individually there. I need to see team and unit awareness.

I agree on the better awareness.
SATXBear
Dia del DougO said:

See, why pay for expert football analysis when you can get gold like this for free?

Why are you so butthurt?
DAC
Guess he didn't get the memo Baylor has an NFL defense now
bunation
I look for Baylor's defense to have a great game plan & execution against a team that just became more one-dimensional Sunday morning.
xiledinok
Like you two would recognize any defense where flags aren't used.

I don't think Dabo and Venerables are into the "points per possession" philosophy because they know letting the opponents drive the field and put up points isn't going to get them to the CFP.
Krieg
Ashley Hodge said:

we did get a lot better defensively as the year went along.

I think we were 3rd in the conference in defense starting in November games. Something like that. Now granted we had already played the best offenses. But still showed some progress near the end of the season. With suspensions and injuries, we started out of the gate slow this year. But I expect we will see significantly better defense as the year unfolds. That's been Snow's history.

Which brings up one of my long-term concerns with this staff. They always start bad and get better throughout the year. I appreciate the improvement, but if we lose one OOC game we might be done in terms of the playoff. We can't start bad anymore.

The exception is 2015 where they did the opposite. Maybe it was injuries or something, I don't know.
xiledinok
Krieg said:

Ashley Hodge said:

I think we were 3rd in the conference in defense starting in November games. Something like that. Now granted we had already played the best offenses. But still showed some progress near the end of the season. With suspensions and injuries, we started out of the gate slow this year. But I expect we will see significantly better defense as the year unfolds. That's been Snow's history.

Which brings up one of my long-term concerns with this staff. They always start bad and get better throughout the year. I appreciate the improvement, but if we lose one OOC game we might be done in terms of the playoff. We can't start bad anymore.

The exception is 2015 where they did the opposite. Maybe it was injuries or something, I don't know.

Poor roster management, ill advised game planning for bad weather and a lack of discipline killed BU in 2015.
SATXBear
Krieg said:

Ashley Hodge said:

I would be more worried about winning conferences games first.
Forest Bueller
Krieg said:

Ashley Hodge said:

I appreciate the improvement, but if we lose one OOC game we might be done in terms of the playoff?

I like the sentiment, but am looking for a bowl game at this point.

Timbear
Playoffs! Is someone worried about Baylor not making the CFB Playoffs? O my goodness. Call 911 for that guy.
xiledinok
Timbear said:

Playoffs! Is someone worried about Baylor not making the CFB Playoffs? O my goodness. Call 911 for that guy.
We were worried before? Why did they not follow instructions and schedule better?
Timbear
What do some people around here want? 12 P5 opponents? Get over yourselves. Baylor, with 1 P5 non conf opponent, plays 10 P5 opponents as a BIg 12 member. That's it. You better be glad we've got some weaker teams right now or we could be 0-2.
OldSchoolBU
Timbear said:

What do some people around here want? 12 P5 opponents? Get over yourselves. Baylor, with 1 P5 non conf opponent, plays 10 P5 opponents as a BIg 12 member. That's it. You better be glad we've got some weaker teams right now or we could be 0-2.
who's talking about playing 12 power 5 opponents during the regular seson? NO ONE! Nobody does it. Texas plays 11 most years and I do mean 11 because they ain't playing in no championship games or bowl games against power 5s.

Now back to Baylor, Baylor will be playing 13 power 5 schools every year soon enough. Just enjoy the wins. Climb out of the fetal position and expect to win. Be a champion!
The past is last! Be a champion today!
gobears20
Staff
[url=https://ibb.co/hwkEzp][/url]
funny romance poems
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
JasonEvans
So, I am one of the hosts of the Duke Basketball Report podcast and the guy who said, "Baylor is awful on defense. Really, really bad on defense."

I wanted to say, first of all, that I am thrilled you folks found our podcast. We do it for Duke fans, obviously, but we get a great kick out of rival/opponent fans who chime in and comment upon it.

Secondly, I am extremely flattered by the "Duke Football Analyst" title that was bestowed upon me but I really do not deserve it. As the "Basketball" part of our name indicates, the podcast is primarily dedicated to our hoops team (they have had some modest success over the years, you may have noticed). This is actually the first year we have tried to cover every football game. Most years we would comment on about half of the football games and we didn't do extensive football previews, but our football program has improved so much under coach Cutcliffe, we really wanted to give it due attention this season.

Still, I will freely admit that -- unlike the basketball previews -- I did not watch a single second of Baylor football to come up with my assessment of the team. I know, I know, that greatly diminishes the value of my analysis (if you can even call it analysis) but neither of their first two games were on TV in the SE U.S. and... well... my interest in (no offense) mediocre college football teams from the southwest is pretty darn limited.

Still, I wanted to provide some perspective for my audience about what kind of team Baylor is, seeing as I am sure many of my listeners probably don't even know Baylor is in the Big 12, so I did the next best thing to watching games... I looked at your boxscores and studied you recent history.

And... well... there is no easy way to say this. The number for you guys are really, really bad.

Last year, you were 113th in D-1 football giving up 457 yards per game. You were 115th in points allowed at 35.9 points per game. When you consider the fact that there are only 130 teams in FBS, that means you guys were pretty much in the bottom 10% of all teams in yards and points allowed. Call me hyperbolic if you want, but I would say that was a "really, really bad" defense.

Now, it is easy to say, "Hey, that was 2017 and we have really turned the corner in 2018," so I looked at your first two games of the season to see if that was the case. As I mentioned on the pod, you played a pair of godawful teams. You played teams that, frankly, any Power 5 conference team should absolutely crush.

Given the talent/facilities/money/prestige advantage you have on teams like UT-SA and Abilene Christian I expected to see scores like what happens when Duke plays their annual game against an overmatched FCS school. Last year, we played North Carolina-Central and the final score was 60-7. UNCC had a total of 8 first downs all game. They gained 64 yards on the ground and all of 94 in the air. They rarely got the ball past half field.

So, when I looked up your first two games and saw that you gave up... gulp... 466 yards and 27 points to Alilene Christian and then followed that up by giving up 20 points and 255 yards to UTSA the very next week... well... what was I supposed to think?

Look, it is entirely possible you will make Duke look bad on Saturday. QB is the most important position on the field and we just lost a 3 year starter who is likely destined for the NFL someday. Without him, you could take every single QB on the active roster, combine all their college stats, and they would have fewer career completed passes than I have fingers on my hands. We may be just godawful on O. It is definitely a possibility.

But, if any one of these guys we try out at QB proves to be even adequate, I think you all are in for a tough game. Duke's D is excellent. We just utterly frustrated one of the better teams in the Big Ten last weekend, and we were playing on their field. Unlike you guys, playing a couple horrible cupcakes, Duke has taken on two teams that each won 10 games a year ago... and we won both games by better than 2 TDs.

I will be prepared to take my lumps if Duke comes up short... but if I was in Vegas right now I would look at that 6.5 point line and make a very hefty bet that it is very, very wrong.

Thanks for your interest in my little pod...

Best,

-Jason Evans
Forum -- https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42276-DBR-Podcast-125-Down-goes-NWestern-but-at-what-cost

Podcast -- https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast
Looking forward to all of you checking out the DBR Podcast at https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast
trey3216
JasonEvans said:

So, I am one of the hosts of the Duke Basketball Report podcast and the guy who said, "Baylor is awful on defense. Really, really bad on defense."

I wanted to say, first of all, that I am thrilled you folks found our podcast. We do it for Duke fans, obviously, but we get a great kick out of rival/opponent fans who chime in and comment upon it.

Secondly, I am extremely flattered by the "Duke Football Analyst" title that was bestowed upon me but I really do not deserve it. As the "Basketball" part of our name indicates, the podcast is primarily dedicated to our hoops team (they have had some modest success over the years, you may have noticed). This is actually the first year we have tried to cover every football game. Most years we would comment on about half of the football games and we didn't do extensive football previews, but our football program has improved so much under coach Cutcliffe, we really wanted to give it due attention this season.

Still, I will freely admit that -- unlike the basketball previews -- I did not watch a single second of Baylor football to come up with my assessment of the team. I know, I know, that greatly diminishes the value of my analysis (if you can even call it analysis) but neither of their first two games were on TV in the SE U.S. and... well... my interest in (no offense) mediocre college football teams from the southwest is pretty darn limited.

Still, I wanted to provide some perspective for my audience about what kind of team Baylor is, seeing as I am sure many of my listeners probably don't even know Baylor is in the Big 12, so I did the next best thing to watching games... I looked at your boxscores and studied you recent history.

And... well... there is no easy way to say this. The number for you guys are really, really bad.

Last year, you were 113th in D-1 football giving up 457 yards per game. You were 115th in points allowed at 35.9 points per game. When you consider the fact that there are only 130 teams in FBS, that means you guys were pretty much in the bottom 10% of all teams in yards and points allowed. Call me hyperbolic if you want, but I would say that was a "really, really bad" defense.

Now, it is easy to say, "Hey, that was 2017 and we have really turned the corner in 2018," so I looked at your first two games of the season to see if that was the case. As I mentioned on the pod, you played a pair of godawful teams. You played teams that, frankly, any Power 5 conference team should absolutely crush.

Given the talent/facilities/money/prestige advantage you have on teams like UT-SA and Abilene Christian I expected to see scores like what happens when Duke plays their annual game against an overmatched FCS school. Last year, we played North Carolina-Central and the final score was 60-7. UNCC had a total of 8 first downs all game. They gained 64 yards on the ground and all of 94 in the air. They rarely got the ball past half field.

So, when I looked up your first two games and saw that you gave up... gulp... 466 yards and 27 points to Alilene Christian and then followed that up by giving up 20 points and 255 yards to UTSA the very next week... well... what was I supposed to think?

Look, it is entirely possible you will make Duke look bad on Saturday. QB is the most important position on the field and we just lost a 3 year starter who is likely destined for the NFL someday. Without him, you could take every single QB on the active roster, combine all their college stats, and they would have fewer career completed passes than I have fingers on my hands. We may be just godawful on O. It is definitely a possibility.

But, if any one of these guys we try out at QB proves to be even adequate, I think you all are in for a tough game. Duke's D is excellent. We just utterly frustrated one of the better teams in the Big Ten last weekend, and we were playing on their field. Unlike you guys, playing a couple horrible cupcakes, Duke has taken on two teams that each won 10 games a year ago... and we won both games by better than 2 TDs.

I will be prepared to take my lumps if Duke comes up short... but if I was in Vegas right now I would look at that 6.5 point line and make a very hefty bet that it is very, very wrong.

Best,

-Jason Evans
Forum -- https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42276-DBR-Podcast-125-Down-goes-NWestern-but-at-what-cost

And that's fair. We also have 3 defensive starters coming back this week, and one who came back last week who happened to lead the team in tackles in the game @Durham last year.

Yes, y'all do have an excellent front 7, but if our offensive line can gel a little bit this week, we're going to throw the ball at will on your secondary and grind the game out in the second half.

Best of luck. Best wishes to you and your families/friends during this storm. Please be safe. We'll be praying for y'all.

P.S. It was still a block. Y'all owe us a MBB natty.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
MrGolfguy
JasonEvans said:

I did not watch a single second of Baylor football to come up with my assessment of the team.

Thanks for the confirmation
wuzzy bear
Baylor has been bad on defense even with NFL draft picks. No difference now. The difference we don't have Briles who could care less about the other D b/c all he cared about was outscoring you as quick and fast as possible. That's what we miss. If you are going to bad on D, then you better 7 TD's to compensate. Given our OL, we will be probably playing that way anyway...with no regard for down or distance. Our best defensive weapon is Drew Galitz...pin em deep.
S11
Staff
Fozzie said:

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-125-football-is-2-0

15:50 mark

"Baylor is awful on defense. Really, really bad on defense."

"I really like the way this sets up for Duke."

"we are a heck of a lot better than the Baylor Bears"

Someone get that to the proper people. Our defensive players need to hear this.

His analysis relies on total yards (rookie math) and not per drive stats which tell vastly different stories on Baylor's first games. Baylor underperformed but not to the degree he has assumed.

He also relies foolishly on computer rankings after two weeks, far from reliable until you get more of a sample size.

Duke was an average team on both sides of the ball in YPD last year compared to other P5 teams vs their schedule. They are coming in injured too.

He also forgets that "horrible" defense held them to below average yards per drive despite three plays for 150 skewing it massively and Duke doing next to nothing otherwise. Three mental busts gifted 21 points out of the 24 their offense moved the ball and scored.
S11
Staff
JasonEvans said:

Best,

-Jason Evans

Baylor was plenty bad but total yards is a stupid way to compare. You end up comparing teams with 14 possessions to those with 10 and it's wholly unreliable. For instance Washington was 58th in Total O and BU was 59th but per drive UW was 24th and BU was 90+. Baylor wasn't good on D last fall but ended up allowing 6% more yards per drive than other P5 teams against our power opponents. Not good, but far from what the total yards imply.
BaylorOkie
I see the QB excuse is already being built in in case Duke's offense struggles.

And Northwestern is a solid team, good win for Duke, who I also believe is a very solid team. But let's be honest here. Pats Fitzgerald just called RPO the "purest form of communism." Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his offensive prowess.
S11
Staff
BaylorOkie said:

I see the QB excuse is already being built in in case Duke's offense struggles.

And Northwestern is a solid team, good win for Duke, who I also believe is a very solid team. But let's be honest here. Pats Fitzgerald just called RPO the "purest form of communism." Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his office of prowess.

120th last year in generating long yardage plays on offense

Baylor was 10th
Bear8084
S11 coming into the thread when he sees an opposing team's fan trying to use faulty stats:

Krieg
JasonEvans said:

Best,

-Jason Evans

Be careful here, people don't like facts that don't flatter the powers that be.

You are correct, our D has been really bad and inexplicably so considering our slow pace of play on offense. If that doesn't end this week, we might be looking at 3 wins on the year. I'm guessing we get 4-5.

All of that said, you'll get blasted for per game stats here and rightfully so. As we learned during the Briles years the pace of play matters a lot. We still play a lot of teams that push pace but we haven't yet this season.
Bear8084
Krieg said:

JasonEvans said:

Best,

-Jason Evans

You are correct, our D has been really bad and inexplicably so considering our slow pace of play on offense. If that doesn't end this week, we might be looking at 3 wins on the year. I'm guessing we get 4-5.

His "facts" were already debunked by S11.
Krieg
Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

JasonEvans said:

Best,

-Jason Evans

His "facts" were already debunked by S11.

See my edit. It was written while you were writing.

His facts are still facts, though. Maybe not the most relevant, but they're still facts.
forza orsi
JasonEvans said:

So why are we even discussing the merits of this guy's analysis? He's got a ten minute analysis of the upcoming game, talking about how Baylor's strengths play into Duke's hands, and doing it while bragging that he didn't watch a single second of Baylor football. This is some real insight! And he's an analyst broadcasting his thoughts on the upcoming game for the team he covers and says that his interest in watching the team they're going to play "is pretty darn limited?" BTW, the broadcast could have been watched on Facebook in North Carolina, just like everyone in Texas watched it. If you listen to his podcast, he comes off as an arrogant clown. His comments here do nothing to change that appearance.
YoakDaddy
forza orsi said:

JasonEvans said:

So why are we even discussing the merits of this guy's analysis? He's got a ten minute analysis of the upcoming game, talking about how Baylor's strengths play into Duke's hands, and doing it while bragging that he didn't watch a single second of Baylor football. This is some real insight! And he's an analyst broadcasting his thoughts on the upcoming game for the team he covers and says that his interest in watching the team they're going to play "is pretty darn limited?" BTW, the broadcast could have been watched on Facebook in North Carolina, just like everyone in Texas watched it. If you listen to his podcast, he comes off as an arrogant clown. His comments here do nothing to change that appearance.

I wouldn't even call it analysis. It's more like super-fan throwing shlt on the wall to see what sticks for a fan base.....Baylor has super-fan podcasters like that.
Stranger
YoakDaddy said:

forza orsi said:

JasonEvans said:

I wouldn't even call it analysis. It's more like super-fan throwing shlt on the wall to see what sticks for a fan base.....Baylor has super-fan podcasters like that.

They live and thrive here.

As for the Bears? Come Saturday, we'll see.
I'm a Bearbacker
RegentCoverup
JasonEvans said:

Best,

-Jason Evans

Jason, appreciate your civil, if not dignified response, but a couple of points.

1) This is like picking stocks. Sort of. Either way, we're forecasting a future event. And we're both bound to be wrong. So I appreciate you sharing your thinking here and know that my scattershooting isn't bound to be any better(or worse).

Rather than use the term 'make a hefty bet,' which is difficult to quantify, I might suggest being more specific with something like "I'd put $250 on the over/under, etc." Hefty sounds great but it's not cash on the barrel head if you know what I mean. Best way to tell me about your confidence is to put a dollar sign beside it We're not offended by large, round, even, uneven, whole or partial numbers. Bet the pig farm if you got it, bro.

2) Everyone had a podcast right now. Everyone. Not saying that to discredit your efforts, yours seems uncomfortably professional when our conference brethren is like watching reruns of lawn mower repair videos on Youtube. I think grand statements about outcome are expected, if not encouraged. My suggestion is to aim at something unique and specific. Call our coach a Yankee, make fun of our board(bios: https://www.baylor.edu/boardofregents/index.php?id=937243) , ridicule our performance last season. Whatever. But be unique.

Having listened to a LOT of podcasts, it just comes off as 'soft' when you predict your team to win, by some comfortable margin so as to appease your listeners and it makes everyone involved sound like a homer. Entertain em. Say it's gonna be a blowout or a last second win or don't say anything. Neither of us can explain how daytime talk shows stay on the air, but my belief is it needs to have shock value. We're not offended.

Cheers and hope you're staying out of the path of the hurricane!

Jacques Strap
It's hard to argue Baylor is good on defense.

This seems like an argument between Baylor is really really bad on defense vs. Baylor is bad on defense.
OldSchoolBU
thanks to Jason for stopping by in a civil and respectful tone. Mad respect for Duke and their program. Story time.

In 1966, I was a sophomore in high school and lined up at corner much faster and lighter than I am today. I was all district and on pace for a college scholarship before a couple of knee injuries derailed me. The team we were playing had a senior WR who everyone was telling me was really good and fast. I said I could care less and I was going to shut him down. We had a much better DL and LB crew than this team we were playing.

The first play from scrimmage, the opposing QB threw a deep bomb. I felt like I was running in cement and I was a 4.5 guy. 6 points later I was shell shocked and it snowballed from there.

Name of the receiver, Cliff Branch from Worthing high school in Houston. He went on to have a great career with the Oakland Raiders. Should be a hall of famer.

Moral of the story, speed kills. Best of luck to Duke. They are sure as hell are going to need it.
The past is last! Be a champion today!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.