Baylor regent: Board used probe as pretext to oust Starr, Briles

18,309 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NoBSU
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Definition of dysfunction

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/baylor-regent-board-used-probe-as-pretext-to-oust-starr/article_7600f086-0575-56b4-844d-b0dbcf90063b.html

The explosive findings of the Pepper Hamilton investigation of Baylor University's response to sexual violence were "orchestrated" and "staged to achieve desired results" of punishing university president Ken Starr, Coach Art Briles and Athletic Director Ian McCaw, a Baylor regent asserts in a newly released deposition.
Regent Phil Stewart said he was so "disgusted" with the 2016 investigation that he offered his resignation from the board that October, but the board would not accept it, fearing bad publicity. The deposition, portions of which were made public Friday, represents the first official statement from a regent dissenting from the decision to accept the findings, which resulted in ousting Starr, Briles and McCaw.
Stewart made his statements last month under deposition from lawyers in a Title IX lawsuit brought by 10 women who say they were sexually assaulted while attending Baylor.

The excerpts show internal disagreements among regents before, during and after the board fired Starr as president and Briles as head football coach on May 26, 2016, the same day the board released a 13-page summary of Pepper Hamilton's probe. McCaw resigned as athletics director days later.
Stewart, the president of a real estate investment firm, said Pepper Hamilton's probe took "a very definite shift" to the administrative level in its investigation of Starr and Reagan Ramsower, the senior vice president and chief operating officer, who left the role in May.
"I have testified that I do believe that the investigation did not go far enough and determine the role of the administration in the overall process of Title IX issues, which includes the identification and the resolution of of handling issues of sexual assault and misconduct, otherwise defined as prohibited conduct, far enough," Stewart said in the deposition. "I am concerned that there was an effort to protect certain members of the administration."
Stewart singled out Ramsower, who he said "wielded extreme power and authority" over university functioning. Ramsower oversaw multimillion-dollar deals, had control over the Baylor Police Department and had supervision over Title IX office beginning in the summer of 2016.
"And it was always curious to me how someone in that position would be responsible for the oversight of many of the functions that he was in control of," Stewart said.
Amid the turmoil of the investigation, Stewart said Ramsower presented an ultimatum to several regents: If Starr were to remain as president, Ramsower would accept a role as president of another small Baptist university in West Texas.
Ramsower was also the target of Patty Crawford, the Title IX coordinator who resigned in October 2016, citing a lack of administrative support for her efforts. Baylor strongly disputed her claims.
Ramsower, a tenured faculty member at Baylor, is currently on a yearlong sabbatical.
After the board of regents refused his resignation, Stewart said that he did not attend any board meetings in 2017. This year, he attended the May board meeting, where he alleged Baylor's statement about an interim provost's resignation was "potentially misleading," and that Baylor "had not learned its lesson, you know, from the other events."
In April, Michael McLendon abruptly resigned as interim provost due to "personal and medical concerns." On Monday, Baylor spokesman Jason Cook said the statement was not misleading and declined to comment further, citing it as a personnel matter.
In the deposition, Stewart said he had some concerns that Starr might have conflicts of interest with the Pepper Hamilton law firm. But in the end, he voted against terminating Starr.
"Actually for the first time, I was seeing in my mind a truly effective leader by taking charge on behalf of Baylor as it relates to making sure that the entire University campus was focused on what we needed to be focused on: protecting our students and caring about our students and ensuring their safety and on nondiscrimination based on sex," he said.
He also voted against suspending Briles with intent to terminate but was outvoted by the board, just days after a straw poll showed the board wanted to keep Briles. Stewart said he also voted against the board's recommendation to seek McCaw's resignation.
He said the board voted to terminate McCaw at one point, but later revisited that decision and opted to let him stay and face certain sanctions and a probationary period.
Within a separate lawsuit, three Baylor regents in February 2017 revealed the board voted 24-6 to terminate Briles and 26-4 in its first vote on McCaw.

A university statement Monday criticized the strategy of the plaintiffs, arguing that the case should be limited to whether Baylor created a heightened risk of sexual assault because of its policies and whether it was deliberately indifferent to their claims. It said opinions of a particular regent are "far afield and not proportional to the needs of the case."
"The Plaintiffs have become hidden figures in this litigation, serving as a backdrop for Plaintiffs' counsel's continued campaign to broadly investigate the operations of Baylor University," the statement said. "Despite the Plaintiffs' counsel's scorched-earth discovery of Board operational issues, these matters are not before the Court in this case. The stories of 10 female students who have reported incidents are."
A message for Stewart's attorney, Kyle Watson of San Antonio, was not returned.
Jim Dunnam, a Waco attorney representing the plaintiffs, said the depositions are revealing patterns of how Baylor handled the sexual assault issue.
"Think about everything that people thought a year ago and what they know now, so every bit it is sort of like a painting," said "Step by step, the curtain gets drawn back and you see pieces of the painting until you get the whole painting uncovered. You don't get the full picture, and I think we're getting more and more of the full picture every step we take."
Last month, Baylor regent Jerry Clements told the Tribune-Herald that an internal review of the Pepper Hamilton investigation quieted charges that the attorneys displayed bias, harassed witnesses and were racially discriminatory during the nine-month investigation.
Clements, a vice chairwoman of the board who participated in that review, said no wrongdoing was found, and the dissenting regents did not present any evidence backing up their claims. She said the board considered the two-month review as a sign of good governance. The board gave its full approval to the review's findings, though one regent abstained from voting. In his deposition, Stewart identified himself as that nonvoter.
The Baylor statement also pointed to changes Baylor has made since that time: the implementation of 105 improvements to its Title IX policies and procedures, an increase in training and education and the installation of new leadership. Stewart's comments in his deposition would not affect his status on the board, the statement said.
canoso
Osodecentx said:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/baylor-regent-board-used-probe-as-pretext-to-oust-starr/article_7600f086-0575-56b4-844d-b0dbcf90063b.html

The explosive findings of the Pepper Hamilton investigation of Baylor University's response to sexual violence were "orchestrated" and "staged to achieve desired results" of punishing university president Ken Starr, Coach Art Briles and Athletic Director Ian McCaw, a Baylor regent asserts in a newly released deposition.
Regent Phil Stewart said he was so "disgusted" with the 2016 investigation that he offered his resignation from the board that October, but the board would not accept it, fearing bad publicity. The deposition, portions of which were made public Friday, represents the first official statement from a regent dissenting from the decision to accept the findings, which resulted in ousting Starr, Briles and McCaw.
Stewart made his statements last month under deposition from lawyers in a Title IX lawsuit brought by 10 women who say they were sexually assaulted while attending Baylor.

The excerpts show internal disagreements among regents before, during and after the board fired Starr as president and Briles as head football coach on May 26, 2016, the same day the board released a 13-page summary of Pepper Hamilton's probe. McCaw resigned as athletics director days later.
Stewart, the president of a real estate investment firm, said Pepper Hamilton's probe took "a very definite shift" to the administrative level in its investigation of Starr and Reagan Ramsower, the senior vice president and chief operating officer, who left the role in May.
"I have testified that I do believe that the investigation did not go far enough and determine the role of the administration in the overall process of Title IX issues, which includes the identification and the resolution of of handling issues of sexual assault and misconduct, otherwise defined as prohibited conduct, far enough," Stewart said in the deposition. "I am concerned that there was an effort to protect certain members of the administration."
Stewart singled out Ramsower, who he said "wielded extreme power and authority" over university functioning. Ramsower oversaw multimillion-dollar deals, had control over the Baylor Police Department and had supervision over Title IX office beginning in the summer of 2016.
"And it was always curious to me how someone in that position would be responsible for the oversight of many of the functions that he was in control of," Stewart said.
Amid the turmoil of the investigation, Stewart said Ramsower presented an ultimatum to several regents: If Starr were to remain as president, Ramsower would accept a role as president of another small Baptist university in West Texas.
Ramsower was also the target of Patty Crawford, the Title IX coordinator who resigned in October 2016, citing a lack of administrative support for her efforts. Baylor strongly disputed her claims.
Ramsower, a tenured faculty member at Baylor, is currently on a yearlong sabbatical.
After the board of regents refused his resignation, Stewart said that he did not attend any board meetings in 2017. This year, he attended the May board meeting, where he alleged Baylor's statement about an interim provost's resignation was "potentially misleading," and that Baylor "had not learned its lesson, you know, from the other events."
In April, Michael McLendon abruptly resigned as interim provost due to "personal and medical concerns." On Monday, Baylor spokesman Jason Cook said the statement was not misleading and declined to comment further, citing it as a personnel matter.
In the deposition, Stewart said he had some concerns that Starr might have conflicts of interest with the Pepper Hamilton law firm. But in the end, he voted against terminating Starr.
"Actually for the first time, I was seeing in my mind a truly effective leader by taking charge on behalf of Baylor as it relates to making sure that the entire University campus was focused on what we needed to be focused on: protecting our students and caring about our students and ensuring their safety and on nondiscrimination based on sex," he said.
He also voted against suspending Briles with intent to terminate but was outvoted by the board, just days after a straw poll showed the board wanted to keep Briles. Stewart said he also voted against the board's recommendation to seek McCaw's resignation.
He said the board voted to terminate McCaw at one point, but later revisited that decision and opted to let him stay and face certain sanctions and a probationary period.
Within a separate lawsuit, three Baylor regents in February 2017 revealed the board voted 24-6 to terminate Briles and 26-4 in its first vote on McCaw.

A university statement Monday criticized the strategy of the plaintiffs, arguing that the case should be limited to whether Baylor created a heightened risk of sexual assault because of its policies and whether it was deliberately indifferent to their claims. It said opinions of a particular regent are "far afield and not proportional to the needs of the case."
"The Plaintiffs have become hidden figures in this litigation, serving as a backdrop for Plaintiffs' counsel's continued campaign to broadly investigate the operations of Baylor University," the statement said. "Despite the Plaintiffs' counsel's scorched-earth discovery of Board operational issues, these matters are not before the Court in this case. The stories of 10 female students who have reported incidents are."
A message for Stewart's attorney, Kyle Watson of San Antonio, was not returned.
Jim Dunnam, a Waco attorney representing the plaintiffs, said the depositions are revealing patterns of how Baylor handled the sexual assault issue.
"Think about everything that people thought a year ago and what they know now, so every bit it is sort of like a painting," said "Step by step, the curtain gets drawn back and you see pieces of the painting until you get the whole painting uncovered. You don't get the full picture, and I think we're getting more and more of the full picture every step we take."
Last month, Baylor regent Jerry Clements told the Tribune-Herald that an internal review of the Pepper Hamilton investigation quieted charges that the attorneys displayed bias, harassed witnesses and were racially discriminatory during the nine-month investigation.
Clements, a vice chairwoman of the board who participated in that review, said no wrongdoing was found, and the dissenting regents did not present any evidence backing up their claims. She said the board considered the two-month review as a sign of good governance. The board gave its full approval to the review's findings, though one regent abstained from voting. In his deposition, Stewart identified himself as that nonvoter.
The Baylor statement also pointed to changes Baylor has made since that time: the implementation of 105 improvements to its Title IX policies and procedures, an increase in training and education and the installation of new leadership. Stewart's comments in his deposition would not affect his status on the board, the statement said.
My, my. You don't say.
PartyBear
The light is starting to shine bright.
boognish_bear
I am glad that Baylor has not reached a settlement on this case as we are getting more and more sworn depositions...

With all of the other cases settled I am surprised they have not settled this one yet. The asking price must be pretty steep
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

I am glad that Baylor has not reached a settlement on this case as we are getting more and more sworn depositions...

With all of the other cases settled I am surprised they have not settled this one yet. The asking price must be pretty steep

The asking price should be steep. It's value keeps rising. The more the Regents are under penalty of perjury.
Stan Mikita
Jason Cook? Are you out there?
xiledinok
Starr's course of action left them with no out other than firing Briles. Their beef with Big 12 Konference Savior carried over and athletic's suicide mission with Ian not managing a great coach but Junior Samples type killed football.
Those 6 regents who didn't vote for Ian's firing have no business being regents on a board of a Power 5 schools.
Lady Linda needs to push this board to force themselves to reduce their numbers.
Dick Willis and bank failure were two problems.
Timbear
Phil Stewart, Regent, has testified under oath that there was a conspiracy to terminate Briles by blaming him to cover up for Reagan Ramsower. His testimony concurs with Bennett, Ian(under oath), and others who are saying the same thing. Sickening. Just sickening. Christian University? Yeah right. Answer to a higher power? Don't make me laugh. I want the BOR to be ripped apart, and I thank Phil Stewart for having the courage to tell the truth. Warming up the Crow.
NoBSU
Timbear said:

Phil Stewart, Regent, has testified under oath that there was a conspiracy to terminate Briles by blaming him to cover up for Reagan Ramsower. His testimony concurs with Bennett, Ian(under oath), and others who are saying the same thing. Sickening. Just sickening. Christian University? Yeah right. Answer to a higher power? Don't make me laugh. I want the BOR to be ripped apart, and I thank Phil Stewart for having the courage to tell the truth. Warming up the Crow.
Ian said it was racism by PH. Pb said that as well. Which is it. Racism or Regent conspiracy. Nice attempt there to revise those three into one conclusion.
REX
xiledinok said:

Starr's course of action left them with no out other than firing Briles. Their beef with Big 12 Konference Savior carried over and athletic's suicide mission with Ian not managing a great coach but Junior Samples type killed football.
Those 6 regents who didn't vote for Ian's firing have no business being regents on a board of a Power 5 schools.
Lady Linda needs to push this board to force themselves to reduce their numbers.

The drip drip drip is going to cost you lots and lots of sleepless nights little buddy.
Wait till the dam bursts next.
Justice will continue to be served!
REX
NoBSU said:

Timbear said:

Ian said it was racism by PH. Pb said that as well. Which is it. Racism or Regent conspiracy. Nice attempt there to revise those three into one conclusion.

Maybe the regents are using race in their conspiracy
Michibear
Starr or Ramsower? Wow, we chose wrong.
Dnicknames
Michibear said:

Starr or Ramsower? Wow, we chose wrong.

We chose incredibly wrong, but that is par for the course with this group of "leaders."
LavacaBear
Very true
lakerat
Everything Stewart said was known in 2016. X, I'm sorry but you continue to pile on without knowledge of anything. Your beloved Linda is a ribbon clerk to the 100th power. People, Art is gone, get over it. Maybe the truth comes out, maybe not. I hope it does sooner than later.
xiledinok
REX said:

xiledinok said:

The drip drip drip is going to cost you lots and lots of sleepless nights little buddy.
Wait till the dam bursts next.
Justice will continue to be served!

Lose sleep? It was not a priority Saturday. I was busy watching with some other team (not football) and didn't get too worked up about Cutcliffe kicking our ass. I enjoyed the boxing match. Needed to see someone get hit after seeing those defenses.
Look at our veteran defense and expect nothing and Rhule wants to play old players in his o system that will not fit but are talented. He's too hard headed to mix it up till he can transition into a pro style. No more sideline huddles necessary.
I saw that you guys set back football 100 years Saturday in Lubbock with those two Jv defenses making people shout loudly elsewhere that no team in Texas or California will win a national championship over the next 5-10 years. Only FCS or D2 with tackling and defense.

Why don't those coaches just start a pro 7 on 7 league or just a pro flag league? Do you really want 5 hours of no defense? Best to just wait till basketball season to watch the pros score a bunch of points over a two hour period.

Rex, Justice is a pole dancer and she is robbing you blind. You actual don't realize all screwed up. Yes, Starr decided to go one route getting fired and unfortunately it got your **** management and discipline stuck in the middle.
Did you not realize Monday that week in May 2016 that it was becoming clear Art was getting fired? It was know weeks prior that it could get Starr, Ian and Art fired.

Just think if those D bag post firing actions didn't occur. Italy would be a coaching destination in Italy, Texas.
xiledinok
lakerat said:

Everything Stewart said was known in 2016. X, I'm sorry but you continue to pile on without knowledge of anything. Your beloved Linda is a ribbon clerk to the 100th power. People, Art is gone, get over it. Maybe the truth comes out, maybe not. I hope it does sooner than later.

Linda isn't going to be a hero. There's no heroes but the fantasy lives on... this old and boring.

Breaking NEWS 2016...regents blew up on management....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Dick Willis.....zzzz....bank failure...zzzz....Art claims victim while he obliterates his career.....zzzzz...former regent who helped create mess throwing out rewards with no conditions.....zzzzzz....Waco Trib...zzzz....Fort Worth Star.....,zzzzzzzz....it is a snoozer at this point.
jackets320
Good ole X to the rescue.....same old same old ****
ColomboLQ
NoBSU said:

Timbear said:

Ian accused the Regents of racism AND conspiracy. The poster you are quoting is accurate (unlike you) in his recap, Here's the an article covering his deposition, in case you don't remember:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/education/full-mccaw-deposition-faults-campus-cops-regents-in-sex-assault/article_47fae49b-71b6-5ebf-945c-0cb83fa010ea.html
ColomboLQ
Timbear said:

It's gonna be a pretty exciting time when Keyser comes on here and tells Stewart to quit with his conspiracy theories. I mean, what would Stewart know about what the regents were up to, amirite?
GRIZZLY79ER
Dont confuse the acts of a few with the desires of the 10s of thousands of us out here who support the University's mission. The few need to be gone...the mission needs to be restored.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
GRIZZLY79ER said:

Dont confuse the acts of a few with the desires of the 10s of thousands of us out here who support the University's mission. The few need to be gone...the mission needs to be restored.
"The Mission" no longer exists. Merely words spoken by false prophets. Honesty and integrity are required. Time for new leadership willing to walk the walk. These preachermen that have been running our school make me ashamed to be a Baylor graduate. Yes, it is that bad.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
GruntTuff
The "few" will only be gone if dragged out kicking and screaming.

This new deposition, by a regent, shows how desperate the controlling few, leading the sheep regents by the nose, were to cover themselves.

They were willing to do whatever the lawyers and PR thugs told them was necessary to save their skin. And they did it.

They thought they would be praised for crying to God.

They will now pay anything to make this go away.

My guess...they will finally make an offer the plaintiffs will accept. Sure hope not.
NoBSU
ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Timbear said:

Ian accused the Regents of racism AND conspiracy. The poster you are quoting is accurate (unlike you) in his recap, Here's the an article covering his deposition, in case you don't remember:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/education/full-mccaw-deposition-faults-campus-cops-regents-in-sex-assault/article_47fae49b-71b6-5ebf-945c-0cb83fa010ea.html
I don't need the article as I have McCaw's deposition. I have read it completely. Ian is very creative with what other people supposedly witnessed.
NoBSU
Patty Crawford's deposition is the key one. I think she has direct knowledge against RR and one regent in particular that my guess is Gray.
tstuck
This doesn't make sense. Why in the world would they want to get rid of Briles if they didn't feel they had to? The dude literally was the golden goose who helped bring in probably hundreds of millions of dollars to the school. How was Ramsower not more expendable? These conspiracy's don't add up.....
Fozzie
I know this stuff is very exciting material but there is nothing new here for the 50 or so people that bought and read Violated and Bear Country of which I was one of them.

Someone in Waco today told me that Julie Hays is using Phil Stewart's vacation house in Mexico a bunch. Sounds about right for this melodrama.

Move this to the R&P board please.
Sailor Bear
Timbear said:

You don't have a damn clue what the truth is. Stop pretending you do. You picked a side, that is all.
Tiny Elvis
They thought that offering up Art would take the media pressure off. But it's all finally coming out piece by piece and soon the other shoe will drop and it's going to be ugly.
Timbear
Bearish, I'm going by legal depositions, under oath. What are you going by?
NoBSU
New audio out yields details on the probe.

LTbear
Our administration truly, deeply disgusts me. It was really a no brainer some time ago that Berkeley and Colorado, where my other degrees come from, wil be receiving 100% of my donations in the future.
NoBSU
Fozzie said:

I know this stuff is very exciting material but there is nothing new here for the 50 or so people that bought and read Violated and Bear Country of which I was one of them.

Someone in Waco today told me that Julie Hays is using Phil Stewart's vacation house in Mexico a bunch. Sounds about right for this melodrama.

Move this to the R&P board please.
Where is the audio or transcript of the complete 23 minute recording obtained by KWTX of the Briles assistants meeting with Rhoades?
Eball
This is testimony from a Regent...someone still on the BOR who was there at the time...I do not see how anyone can not be deeply concerned with how all this went down.

The bottom line is the BOR had a choice when it came to CAB and they could have kept him.

Transparency was and is needed to get past this when will the BOR get that?

NoBSU
Eball said:

This is testimony from a Regent...someone still on the BOR who was there at the time...I do not see how anyone can not be deeply concerned with how all this went down.

The bottom line is the BOR had a choice when it came to CAB and they could have kept him.

Transparency was and is needed to get past this when will the BOR get that?

Duh, of course they had a choice. They chose not to do so. That is your key point of contention, correct?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.