Story Poster
Baylor Football

David Smoak: Dear Baylor Nation

October 4, 2018

David Smoak of ESPN Central Texas explains his feelings on the support that should be given to the Baylor football players throughout the remaining games of the 2018 football season.

Discussion from...

David Smoak: Dear Baylor Nation

27,337 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Bear_reaB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great message.
cowboycwr
should be given... yeah stopped after that. Teams like everyone else have to earn support, respect, etc.

I "shouldn't" have to financially support a loser of a coach/program.
EvilTroyAndAbed
cowboycwr said:

should be given... yeah stopped after that. Teams like everyone else have to earn support, respect, etc.

Then leave. No one is forcing you to stay.
cowboycwr
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

I like it here. I think I will stay.

No one is forcing you to read my posts....

See how that works.
Bearprof
I do think there is some middle ground here. Who knows how all of the BOR stuff will shake out but for those posters who are clutching their pearls, hoping for the return of Briles, they need to move on. That doesn't mean that Rhule, or any coach, deserves blind loyalty. However, this has been a crap sandwich situation from the start. The players, especially the ones who have endured the last two to three years, deserve our support. I had predicted a 5-win season but if many games were competitive, I mean really competitive, a 4-win season would be several steps in the right direction. KSU is obviously a must win for any bowl chances. Have to use the pass to set up the run - get the ball to Hurd and Mims. I do like that fact that Rhule is sticking up for our program and players when some in higher places seemingly did the opposite.
Dia del DougO
Has anyone put out a poll or scientific study on why Baylor fans aren't showing up at games? I know a certain percentage has bailed because they aren't happy with losing Briles. But overall people pretty much showed up the previous couple of years after he had been fired, and when the anger about Baylor in different ways and the constant drip of negative media was white hot.

Everybody has their own opinion about Baylor and the mess they're in. But I think the lack of support currently has a lot more to do with the same reasons other schools fans don't show up, whose schools aren't embroiled in scandals that keep boiling up again every time you think it's cooled down. They just don't like the product and they don't have a lot of hope in seeing something better show up in a given Saturday.

There's nothing new about that in sports. People aren't trying to punish players. Fans don't have anything against these players. They just aren't being entertained with either a winning team, or a team they can feel like is building something that will result in a winning team. You need something in return for your dollar, at least some kind of good feeling, to keep returning and spending again and again.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Shakesbear
Dia del DougO said:

Has anyone put out a poll or scientific study on why Baylor fans aren't showing up at games? I know a certain percentage has bailed because they aren't happy with losing Briles. But overall people pretty much showed up the previous couple of years after he had been fired, and when the anger about Baylor in different ways and the constant drip of negative media was white hot.

Everybody has their own opinion about Baylor and the mess they're in. But I think the lack of support currently has a lot more to do with the same reasons other schools fans don't show up, whose schools aren't embroiled in scandals that keep boiling up again every time you think it's cooled down. They just don't like the product and they don't have a lot of hope in seeing something better show up in a given Saturday.

There's nothing new about that in sports. People aren't trying to punish players. Fans don't have anything against these players. They just aren't being entertained with either a winning team, or a team they can feel like is building something that will result in a winning team. You need something in return for your dollar, at least some kind of good feeling, to keep returning and spending again and again.
Some truth to that, but let's be real here: This isn't our first rodeo when it comes to teams that are "not entertaining enough". Remember Beall & Steele? Many of us have probably seen the Bears lose more than win over the years, but we still show up and root for the team. To be a true Baylor fan, you have to be an optimist. If "hope didn't spring eternal" for Baylor fans, then football would have died years ago! The "change" I think a lot of Baylor supporters want will probably require a lot of tar, feathers, and rails at the next BOR meeting
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Dia del DougO
Dude, were you at any games during the late Steele years?

Today's crowds look like Times Square on New Years Eve compared to that.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Shakesbear
Dia del DougO said:

LOL! True dat, but we were still there, "We few, we happy few. We band of brothers", hoping and praying for a better future We eventually got it, but alas, we must start over yet again. This too shall pass We now live in an era of "instant gratification", and "ADD", so that compounds the problem.
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Dia del DougO
I agree with what you were saying about needing optimism. It was part of my post. You have to have some kind of good feeling, even if you aren't winning, to keep showing up. I think a lot of people just aren't feeling it because of football.

If it were a Briles fan exodus, it would have had a much larger impact over the last two years when the wound was fresh, not three years later.

Now it's about football not being so much fun, or even hopeful. I just think it's that simple, for the most part. If Baylor starts showing something good, more people will come back.

That's the way football fan go.
riflebear
Support the team & staff. End of story.

No excuses unless you were the leaker to Engel then never step foot in Waco again.

If you still have doubts, listen to Smoak again.

ColomboLQ
Dia del DougO said:

I agree with what you were saying about needing optimism. It was part of my post. You have to have some kind of good feeling, even if you aren't winning, to keep showing up. I think a lot of people just aren't feeling it because of football.

If it were a Briles fan exodus, it would have had a much larger impact over the last two years when the wound was fresh, not three years later.

Now it's about football not being so much fun, or even hopeful. I just think it's that simple, for the most part. If Baylor starts showing something good, more people will come back.

This is totally it 100%. Fans not showing up in masses has nothing to do with Briles.
ftblbob5
I appreciate Smoaky for producing this message and I wish that he would run it every 15 minutes on 1660. Baylor fans and the people of Waco need to be reminded of this.

I can't imagine that any Baylor fan might have difficulty supporting these young men that have thrown in with Baylor University. I can't imagine that the fan experience at a wonderful stadium like McLane is so bad that you can't take time to be there for 4 or 5 home games to support those players.

If you have tickets, you should be at the stadium or make sure that someone that supports Baylor uses those tickets instead.
2022 Adopt A Bear: Jackie Marshall - 6'3",281, R-Fr, East St. John HS, LaPlace, LA

Respect the game.
Osodecentx
Where is Smoak's report?

Premium?
BUBear24
Osodecentx said:

Where is Smoak's report?

Premium?

He typically has something each week on the premium side
Cove Dawg
The "Baylor Problem" is still here unmitigated and waiting for the next opportunity to wreak havoc on the university. Until the BOR comes clean, those that were responsible are held accountable, and true change is enacted, not a penny of my money will go to Baylor!
Eball
What worries me or saddens me is that if we lose to KSU this weekend some of these yahoos that are so positive now and so pro supporting the team will be the most vicious in attacking CMR and the players who they perceive under performed.

EvilTroyAndAbed
Best team I've seen since Miami 2001, and students won't show up for them either.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2018/10/04/nick-saban-alabama-football-coach-rants-poor-student-attendance/1518732002/
Saddle Up!
Great segment! Thanks, Smoak.
BUGWBBear
Hopefully the players don't piddle with that lil tykes hoop because their feelings were hurt by the NCAA.
summaryjudged
cowboycwr said:

Seems....dumb, unless I guess you didnt go to school here. If you want a great team to support there's a lot. Try Alabama and the Patriots - you can climb on any bandwagon you so choose.

A lot of us root for our school because it's our school.
PacificBear
I'm an alum and I root for Baylor but I'm not as invested ($$) as I once was (BOR and Rhule).
I'm all in on all of our coaches except one. He hasn't won me over yet. I may be biased as I prefer southerners.
jabes20
Supporting the team and hating the BOR are two very different things in my opinion.

As a Baylor grad I'm pissed at the BOR too but showing up to games and supporting the team has nothing to do with them. With their track record it's pretty apparent the BOR could care less. Not going to games has no effect on the BOR, the people who are affected are our players who had nothing to do with, nor can control anything that happened in the past.

You can be pissed at the BOR and still support the team, they are two separate issues. That's why I will be there on Saturday supporting the players who deserve it, the same players who have backed us when the entire country and part of our fan base has turned our back on them.

It's not about Rhule, Briles, or the BOR its about supporting kids who are working their tails off for our university.
Bear_reaB
All miserable
cowboycwr
summaryjudged said:

cowboycwr said:

Seems....dumb, unless I guess you didnt go to school here. If you want a great team to support there's a lot. Try Alabama and the Patriots - you can climb on any bandwagon you so choose.

A lot of us root for our school because it's our school.
LOL. Glad you understand that yes you are dumb. I will support who ever I choose. If you don't like it deal with it.

And yes I went to Baylor. That does not mean I HAVE to support a team and coach. I can choose to call out the coach if I want to.... and guess what... that is what I have done. Again if you don't like it piss off and put me on ignore you little triggered snowflake.
cowboycwr
Bear_reaB said:

All miserable
Yes you and lots of others clearly are because someone is pointing out that Rhule does not automatically deserve support.
LIB,MR BEARS
Dia del DougO said:

The case was full many times during the late Steele years. Sometimes they were dressed maroon, or red, or crimson or...
EvilTroyAndAbed
cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

See how that works.
So you like to spend your time on a message board dedicated to a team that you do not support.

I could think of 1,000 things better to do than that.
Dia del DougO
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Dia del DougO said:

The case was full many times during the late Steele years. Sometimes they were dressed maroon, or red, or crimson or...
Absolutely. Back then playing at Baylor was like a mini-vacation to go watch your team slaughter the Bears, and bench-warmer' parents actually got to see their kids get a lot of playing time.
GrowlTowel
Dia del DougO said:

This is it.

I still have season tickets (20 years) which means I support the team despite the loss of Briles. However, the brand of football we are currently playing is boring to watch. As such, the joy of driving up from Houston to watch the Bears no longer outweighs the commitment that is required.

I checked out last year after the Liberty game. This year, after the Duke game.

Hopefully next year I can make it into conference play.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
william
dear roast beef nation:

Dale?
cowboycwr
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

See how that works.
So you like to spend your time on a message board dedicated to a team that you do not support.

I could think of 1,000 things better to do than that.
Please post where I said I do not support the team?

You can't because I never said that.

Then please post where it says this site is only dedicated to the football team.

Then please post the rules where it says you have to support every single team, every single player and every single coach of all the teams.

Then please post where it says you must support every single person working at Baylor, on the board, etc.

Because until you do all of that then you need to spend all your time going around and pointing out all the people who are "spending time on a message board dedicated to a team they do not support" even though they are not saying they don't support it, just calling out specific actions....
RegentCoverup
cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

See how that works.
Fair enough. No one seems to mind me calling you a *****, cowgirl.
Doc Holliday
I am pissed at the BOR and higher ups because I support the players.

They left the players to the wolves.
It's why I show up and root for them at every single home game.

But once the players that have had to endure the scandal are gone, I am putting my money elsewhere in order to negatively effect the University so that it inflicts change.

Smoak, that country club BS that you're talking about is the cancer at Baylor.

They won't listen to us, they won't apologize to the players, they won't defend the fans/alum, they turn their smug noses up and try to pretend like nothing happened while being shrouded in secrecy.

For that I hope that Baylor nation hurts them right in their pocket books.

What is the point of rooting for Rhule or another coach if the BOR are going to let a non-scandal turn into another scandal over and over again?

Every student athlete at Baylor is subjecting themselves to the high possibility of the court of public opinion and demonization from here on out.

I'd rather attempt to kill the cancer and save more future players grief than root for them under a dark cloud.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.