Football
Sponsored by

LSU to debut color shifting helmets

3,260 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bear2be2
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

LSU's wearing dope purple helmets that change color to gold under the lights

Yes, these helmets change colors!

Morgan Moriarty

HI SOMEBODY PLEASE HOLD ME. On Oct. 18, LSU announced that the Tigers would be wearing new uniforms against Mississippi State. But these aren't just any uniforms they salute LSU's 1918 team that didn't play football that season, and instead went to fight in World War I.

Most notably, these uniforms feature purple helmets that will reflectively change to gold under the stadium's lights. YES, LIKE AN IRIDESCENT MARDI GRAS BEAD:

Sure, there's a lot of purple in these, but together with the white contrast looks pretty slick:

The additional backstory on the history and significance of these uniforms is pretty dang cool. The uniforms will feature an oak pattern throughout. This in reference to the 30 oak trees planted on LSU's campus to commemorate soldiers from the LSU community who did not return from the war, including one for the "unknown soldier" missing in action.

The Tigers won't have nameplates on the back this week to honor those individuals, too.

LSU has had a strong military tradition, which dates back to the school's founding in 1860:

The LSU ROTC program fosters perhaps the University's first and oldest student organization and its oldest tradition the military heritage that has been part of the institution since its beginning under General William Tecumseh Sherman, who is believed to have given LSU the nickname "Ole War Skule." For a number of years, the campus was a former military post, located adjacent to the Mississippi River near what is now downtown Baton Rouge.
Until 1969, ROTC training was required for all freshmen and sophomores at LSU. That military tradition, known as the "Long Purple Line," will be honored beautifully on Saturday night under the lights.
PartyBear
Damn Cool! Baylor order up some green to gold ones or gold to green ones.
RegentCoverup
From the state that gave us drive through hard liquor daiquiris and now this.

What will those crazy Cajuns do next? I tell ya. Not sure what the US GDP would be without a giant river and million tributaries making it a passageway for raw materials to the part of the country that actually makes something.

But props to that 1918 team, those men were tough as nails.
Dia del DougO
Baylor needs those. Then we can ***** about the colors even as they change during the game.
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

" For a number of years, the campus was a former military post, located adjacent to the Mississippi River near what is now downtown Baton Rouge.
Until 1969, ROTC training was required for all freshmen and sophomores at LSU. That military tradition, known as the "Long Purple Line," will be honored beautifully on Saturday night under the lights.

The SEC schools football programs were closely intertwined with the careers of U.S. military officers that participated in and returned from World War II.

This is Patton, riding atop the 'War Eagle' Jeep that was the staff vehicle for Ralph "Shug" Jordan of Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium fame.

https://imgur.com/a/K39Vn1b

And General Neyland of Tennesseee built his 'Maxims' of football on tactical rules he learned as an Army Brigadier General.

BoonDockSaint
Thats a pretty cool story ...

Tiny Elvis
We need invisibility cloaks.
saabing bear
How many chameleons did they have to kill to make the helmets?
Jokerman
saabing bear said:

The question is moot.
It's Louisiana.
If it crawls, swims, walks, runs, flies, slithers, burrows or floats, it's legal game to kill.
... oh, and eat, too.
... only after you make a roux, first.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I sure hope their students don't use foul language!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Tiny Elvis
Jokerman said:

saabing bear said:

The question is moot.
It's Louisiana.
If it crawls, swims, walks, runs, flies, slithers, burrows or floats, it's legal game to kill.
... oh, and eat, too.

Is this the original Jokerman aka P.F.?
BayouCity
It's a cool idea but what happens when they are on a field 100+ yards from the nearest light rather than inside a studio with perfect lighting? I doubt they will change as much as expected. Sounds like the TAMU "glow in the dark" uniforms that they wore for a day game.

Actually I take it back... it's a stupid idea.
PartyBear
There is so much artifical light at a night game or over cast game and the sun is a pretty powerful light as well during a sunny day, I doubt it will be a problem.
Branch155
So, if the helmets change from purple to gold "under the lights" -- won't they be gold the entire time?
bear2be2
I'm just waiting for mood ring helmets. Then we can know exactly how each player on the field is feeling.
Aliceinbubbleland
boognish_bear said:

under General William Tecumseh Sherman, who is believed to have given LSU the nickname "Ole War Skule." For a number of years, the campus was a former military post, located adjacent to the Mississippi River near what is now downtown Baton Rouge.
Yep the same Sherman who loved to start fires and march through Atlanta towards the sea.
Moondoggie
With venician blinds helmets, you can control the amount of light radiating.

It's a thought!?!
REvansBU71
We have color shifting helmets this season. Flat Green to Flat Green.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Wichitabear
I'm jealous. That is so awesome! I want that for us
PartyBear
It looks to me that the helmet doesn't actually turn gold in the light it is a purple helmet that gives off momentarily at certain angles a gold glow, glare or reflection of a specific light source that hits it. There is a photo of the helmet giving off the reflection of light in purple like a normal purple helmet would when viewed directly and not at an angle. I would like to see this on tv to get a better view.

Nevertheless I would love for us to have something like this.
boognish_bear
Jokerman
Tiny Elvis said:

Jokerman said:

saabing bear said:

The question is moot.
It's Louisiana.
... oh, and eat, too.

Is this the original Jokerman aka P.F.?
Indeed, my brother.
Indeed...
cowboycwr
Vehicles have had this type of paint for 5 plus years. So what is the big deal that someone put it on helmets?

The helmet will not be that impressive. It will be purple most of the time and then the gold will come out on occasion.
cowboycwr
BayouCity said:

It's a cool idea but what happens when they are on a field 100+ yards from the nearest light rather than inside a studio with perfect lighting? I doubt they will change as much as expected. Sounds like the TAMU "glow in the dark" uniforms that they wore for a day game.

Actually I take it back... it's a stupid idea.

Yup. Not a good idea other than it will get people talking for a few days.

About as smart as camo jerseys, glow in the dark uniforms, camo numbers, camo patterns with other colors, or any of the other weird uniform gimmicks that have been done.
boognish_bear
They have gotten so much hype for these helmets....those things sure better color switch damnit!
Wichitabear
Lol boognish_bear I agree
boognish_bear
I am not by a TV. Are the color shifting helmets revolutionary?
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

I am not by a TV. Are the color shifting helmets revolutionary?
Just look shiny and purple to me, but I just turned the game on.
Wichitabear
They aren't going a darn thing. They have that touch of gold look at times but nothing dramatic. I like them though. But again, I like purple
PartyBear
As I have thought about this hasn't Tech already done a version of this with a black helmet that gives off a red sheen to it?
Russell Gym
Cool, but not really much different from the crowd of cool helmets. Not revolutionary.
REvansBU71
Party, those TT helmets were black metal flake finish. We called it a bass boat finish back in the day.
Weren't we clever? We were legends in our own mind.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
boognish_bear
They are playing well in them.

I wasn't too sure about the Coach O hire.... but he seems like the perfect fit for LSU now
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

They are playing well in them.

I wasn't too sure about the Coach O hire.... but he seems like the perfect fit for LSU now
I'm glad to see Orgeron doing so well, but I always enjoy seeing the peanut gallery proven wrong. I'm hoping Herm Edwards is successful at Arizona State for the exact same reason. Like with Orgeron, people were ripping that hire as soon as it was announced.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.