Football
Sponsored by

Pirate just beat Oregon.

3,414 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Forest Bueller
PepperMD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Always fun to see the Leach disrupting the "powers that be".
cowboycwr
Yup. He has it clicking this year for sure.
vanillabryce
4th year in a row he's beat the Ducks.

I hope they win the P12
Grumpy
Funny how the folks on College Gameday said it was an important game for Oregon since they are still in the hunt for the playoffs. Umm, both teams were 5-1 going in. Amazing how ESPN only wants the marquee teams to be on top.
bear2be2
Grumpy said:

Funny how the folks on College Gameday said it was an important game for Oregon since they are still in the hunt for the playoffs. Umm, both teams were 5-1 going in. Amazing how ESPN only wants the marquee teams to be on top.
I think it probably has more to do with the fact that no one really believes Wazzou can/will run the table the rest of the way. They've got a shot until they lose another one, but Leach's history suggests they're due an egg or two before the end of the season.

For the record, I like Leach and think he's a good coach and a great fit for Washington State. But he's only coached one team in his career that lost fewer than three games, and that offense isn't one that typically produces championships.
Grumpy
You mean the offense he built at OU as Offensive Coordinator that won a national championship in 2000-01?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
bear2be2 said:

Grumpy said:

I think it probably has more to do with the fact that no one really believes Wazzou can/will run the table the rest of the way. They've got a shot until they lose another one, but Leach's history suggests they're due an egg or two before the end of the season.

For the record, I like Leach and think he's a good coach and a great fit for Washington State. But he's only coached one team in his career that lost fewer than three games, and that offense isn't one that typically produces championships.
Yeah, his offense really sucks. Hopefully he is staying up late and losing sleep watching juggernaut Matt Rhule's Baylor offense. LOL!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
bear2be2
Grumpy said:

You mean the offense he built at OU as Offensive Coordinator that won a national championship in 2000-01?
First, notice I said typically.

And second, OU a) wasn't running the Tech/Washington State Air Raid in 2000 and b) paired their offense with an elite defense, something a Leach-coached has never had. That national title team was almost 50-50 run to pass (489 pass attempts, 436 rush attempts) and allowed 278.9 yards per game that year. That team had far more of Bob Stoops' influence than Mike Leach's.
bear2be2
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

Grumpy said:

Yeah, his offense really sucks. Hopefully he is staying up late and losing sleep watching juggernaut Matt Rhule's Baylor offense. LOL!
Where did anyone say his offense sucks? This is that lack of nuance I was talking about in the other thread. The Leach spread is a great offense for winning seven to nine games a year. But his team's have two to four games every season where the offense sputters, and they're not built defensively to win on those nights.

As I said before, I think Leach is a good coach who has made some major contributions to his sport with his offensive innovation. But he's had one elite team in 17 years as a coach, and the same high-floor offense that all but guarantees his teams are competitive year in and year out puts a hard ceiling on how good his teams can be, because there's no Plan B on the days the offense is struggling.
ColomboLQ
bear2be2 said:

Grumpy said:

He's never coached at a place that has or gets elite talent to begin with. He's gotten (maximized) the most out of the talent he's actually had at both Washington St and Texas Tech. And I think Lincoln Riley seems to be doing pretty well with that offense as well.
bear2be2
ColomboLQ said:

bear2be2 said:

Grumpy said:

He's never coached at a place that has or gets elite talent to begin with. He's gotten (maximized) the most out of the talent he's actually had at both Washington St and Texas Tech. And I think Lincoln Riley seems to be doing pretty well with that offense as well.
I agree that Leach was a good fit for Tech and is a good fit for Washington State in that his offense maximizes the talent he gets at schools (and cities) that are difficult to recruit to. But Leach got every bit the talent at Tech that Briles got to Waco, and he only had one season in 10 years that was as good as what Briles averaged his last five years at Baylor. That's because his offense has limitations that Briles' didn't.

And while Lincoln Riley has definitely been influenced and inspired by the Leach Air Raid, he doesn't run the same offense that Leach does. Oklahoma runs significantly more and more effectively than did Tech/does Wazzou, and they take far more shots downfield. Leach's offense is close to 75 percent pass and almost solely reliant on short and intermediate crossing routes for its success.

The only Leach disciples who run true Air Raid offenses are Sonny Dykes and Kliff Kingsbury and both have experienced the same limitations as head coaches that Leach has, only to a far greater degree. And even Kingsbury has kind of followed Dana Holgerson's lead and started emphasizing the run game more in recent years.
ColomboLQ
bear2be2 said:

ColomboLQ said:

bear2be2 said:

Grumpy said:

I agree that Leach was a good fit for Tech and is a good fit for Washington State in that his offense maximizes the talent he gets at schools (and cities) that are difficult to recruit to. But Leach got every bit the talent at Tech that Briles got to Waco, and he only had one season in 10 years that was as good as what Briles averaged his last five years at Baylor. That's because his offense has limitations that Briles' didn't.

And while Lincoln Riley has definitely been influenced and inspired by the Leach Air Raid, he doesn't run the same offense that Leach does. Oklahoma runs significantly more and more effectively than did Tech/does Wazzou, and they take far more shots downfield. Leach's offense is close to 75 percent pass and almost solely reliant on short and intermediate crossing routes for its success.

The only Leach disciples who run true Air Raid offenses are Sonny Dykes and Kliff Kingsbury and both have experienced the same limitations as head coaches that Leach has, only to a far greater degree. And even Kingsbury has kind of followed Dana Holgerson's lead and started emphasizing the run game more in recent years.
I never said he was as good as Briles. Few are. I think Briles is in the top .0001% of coaches that know how to maximize talent. But I do think Leach did as well or better than just about any other coach could have.
PartyBear
I sure hope WSU represents the PAC North in the championship game and not UW. Do those two play each other in Pullman his season.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

I sure hope WSU represents the PAC North in the championship game and not UW. Do those two play each other in Pullman his season.

Wazzu has @Stanford, Cal, @Colorado, then Arizona and UDub at home left.
Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

Grumpy said:

This. It would shocking of WSU finished with 1 loss given its history and with @Stanford, Washington, @Colorado, and potentially the winner of the PAC 12 south in the PAC 12 title game remaining on its' schedule.
bularry
Grumpy said:

Title game was 13-0 wasn't it? Shootout
Aliceinbubbleland
Leach may not get to the Championship game but he damn sure can give you an exciting and interesting season when he has had enough time to mature his team's.

It's really nice to see a WSU instead of USC in the headlines. BTW, I think Leach was robbed in that loss to USC.
Timbear
Leach's D is currently ranked 49th. Not terrible. Baylor's is 94th, but after only 1 1/2yrs.
Amarillobear
Grumpy said:

RYou mean the offense he built at OU as Offensive Coordinator that won a national championship in 2000-01?
Mangino was the offensive coordinator at OU and changed the offense around when OU won the National Championship you referenced. It wasn't Leach.
Amarillobear
Grumpy said:

RYou mean the offense he built at OU as Offensive Coordinator that won a national championship in 2000-01?
Mangino was the offensive coordinator at OU and changed the offense around when OU won the National Championship you referenced. It wasn't Leach.
bularry
Great win for Leach and Wash St. Fun game to watch.
Grumpy
I was careful with my words. Leach built the new offensive system at OU in 1999. When he left for Tech, Mangino, who was his offensive line coach, was promoted to OC. He "tinkered" with Leach's system, but he certainly did not overhaul something that was working. OU really looked like no one else at the beginning of the century. Leach's tree spread over the subsequent years and so did the offenses around the country.
Thee University
ColomboLQ said:

I never said he was as good as Briles. Few are. I think Briles is in the top .0001% of coaches that know how to maximize talent. But I do think Leach did as well or better than just about any other coach could have.
Boy howdy that is a shocker!

I suppose you truthfully meant to say offensive talent. Unfortunately for those of us who know football it takes much, much more than a record setting offense to win National Championships much less go undefeated in your conference.
ColomboLQ
Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

I suppose you truthfully meant to say offensive talent. Unfortunately for those of us who know football it takes much, much more than a record setting offense to win National Championships much less go undefeated in your conference.
I'm not sure who "those of us who know football" are, but I'm pretty sure you know absolutely nothing about what it takes to win a national championship.
Thee University
ColomboLQ said:

Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

I'm not sure who "those of us who know football" are, but I'm pretty sure you know absolutely nothing about what it takes to win a national championship.
True but I would bet I am light years ahead of you knowing what it takes to get there. Hell, your savior sure doesn't know.
william
leach micro-dosed during the game.

- BUmma

on arby's au jus.

D!
Fetterman2024
ColomboLQ
Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

Thee University said:

ColomboLQ said:

True but I would bet I am light years ahead of you knowing what it takes to get there. Hell, your savior sure doesn't know.
I never claimed to know. Out of the two of us, one of us clearly understands what they know and, more importantly, understands what they don't know.
Pecos 45
Jumping in late.
I like Leach.
His only limitation at Tech was that he couldn't get the defensive talent on his teams.
All of the good ones were on the offensive side.
You gotta have those hostile, mobile and agile D-linemen to wreak havoc (aka Clemson), and some heat-seeking missile linebackers (aka Singletary) to have a great D.
But right now we would gladly suffer an 8-win season.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Forest Bueller
Timbear said:

Leach's D is currently ranked 49th. Not terrible. Baylor's is 94th, but after only 1 1/2yrs.
Whatever anybody else says, Leach has always done more with less.

When over matched talent wise he usually loses a few games each year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.