Football
Sponsored by

Kansas to hire Les Miles

17,560 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
Pablo_mondragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/16/les-miles-kansas-hiring-head-coach-contract
BylrFan

Rhule better get ready for next season
xiledinok
Great hire for the other nine teams.
PartyBear
He'll be doing that regardless as to who the other coaches are. I'm curious as to why yall are so enamored with Les Miles though. Congrats to Miles btw. I just dont get why some of you are acting like Kansas just hired hired someone like Briles or Leach. I have a feeling KU will be making a coaching change again in about 4 years. I think a young offense minded coach would have been better.
Stefano DiMera
Because he's a personality and crazy as an outhouse rat... This gaggle of coaches in this conference prob stand out as much as the 3rd round leaderboard of The Greater Hartford Open..Gundy excluded.

This is a home run hire for them..He's won a national championship for Christ's sake. This is Bobby Knight to Tech or Jimbo to Aggieland.
xiledinok
He knew a sucker when he saw one in Long.
I might want to see an Oklahoma State Kansas foot game in the future. Oklahoma State can get another rival with the hire.
Thee University
PartyBear said:

He'll be doing that regardless as to who the other coaches are. I'm curious as to why yall are so enamored with Les Miles though. Congrats to Miles btw. I just dont get why some of you are acting like Kansas just hired hired someone like Briles or Leach. I have a feeling KU will be making a coaching change again in about 4 years. I think a young offense minded coach would have been better.
He's better than Briles and Leach!

141-55 as an NCAA head coach. That is .719. Briles and Leach are both .600 coaches.

National Championship coach in 2007 and runner up in 2011.

Good grief you are eat up with it.
PartyBear
Eat up with what?? I dont recall you championing that Baylor should hire him in 16.

I suspect Miles is fired or decide to retire after year 4 with no better than a 4 win season under his belt there is more likely than duplicating his run at LSU ( top flight program he didnt have to build at all) in Lawrence. It should be noted his run at LSU was not exactly how he did at OSU (a mediocre program he took over). Maybe y'all are right perhaps he will build David Booth Memorial Stadium into a new Death Valley.
Grizz Air
I wanted BU to hire Miles in 2016. now that we have Rhule I think we got a better deal (even for $330k/game) but I still think KU just got a huge hire. The dude knows how to win and just made sure it aint getting easier to win in this conference. He will get Kansas at least to the point where they are no longer an automatic L. And that is saying a lot.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Grizz Air said:

I wanted BU to hire Miles in 2016. now that we have Rhule I think we got a better deal (even for $330k/game) but I still think KU just got a huge hire. The dude knows how to win and just made sure it aint getting easier to win in this conference. He will get Kansas at least to the point where they are no longer an automatic L. And that is saying a lot.

Like Glenn Mason or Mangino?
bularry
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

141-55 as an NCAA head coach. That is .719. Briles and Leach are both .600 coaches.

He's a good coach, but he won't get LSU talent at Kansas

And a two loss team won't win national title again
DanaDane
If he hires the right OC, they are immediately at the mediocre level where we reside along with Tech, K State, TCU and Iowa St (with this yr being the exception). And as much as I like Briles and appreciate our 2 Big 12 championships, I wonder sometimes how his and Leach's accomplishments get severely overblown by some
of our fans. You'd think they both made the playoffs or won major bowls, neither which happened. Miles accomplishments dwarf both.
BoonDockSaint
I like it....

Miles basically got fired at LSU for pretty much the same reason Mack Brown and Solich at Nebraska got fired

Hes 65 or thereabouts...

So i wish the Jayhawks the best until they play Baylor

Would like to see them win some games for a change
BoonDockSaint
bularry said:

He's a good coach, but he won't get LSU talent at Kansas

And a two loss team won't win national title again

No one thought anyone could ever get talent or win at Baylor either

Had the scandal not happened....we would have had 10 more years of 10 win seasons plus

And we got a badass brandnew stadium and a whole bunch of great memories in a short period of time

Then after Briles got fired....they said we couldn't win again..

3 years later we are knocking on the door of bowling once again and getting talent here every Feb
Dia del DougO
DanaDane said:

If he hires the right OC....

What are "things that LSU fans said year after year, OC after OC."
boognish_bear
syme
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

TBD. Let's see what he does with Kansas level talent.
Iron Claw
So really this means that Miles won't be coaching at KU and it will be someone that no one predicts and will surprise everyone. That's the way these things usually go.
FKA tri it
bunation
Pablo_mondragon said:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/16/les-miles-kansas-hiring-head-coach-contract

Great news!

First, the feds will lock up crooked Bill Self. And, by the time the dust settles, Les Miles will have been up to his old tricks & ready to become Self's roomie.

Part one of five:
https://www.si.com/college-football/2013/09/10/oklahoma-state-part-1-money

(Did LSU care? Ridiculous question..........)

Aliceinbubbleland
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

I love Les Miles but he inherited a very warm bed at LSU and it began to slip as Saban's recruits played out.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great coach. He is. I'm glad for KU and Miles. His persona is right up there with Briles and Leach.
Aliceinbubbleland
DanaDane said:

If he hires the right OC, they are immediately at the mediocre level where we reside along with Tech, K State, TCU and Iowa St (with this yr being the exception). And as much as I like Briles and appreciate our 2 Big 12 championships, I wonder sometimes how his and Leach's accomplishments get severely overblown by some
of our fans. You'd think they both made the playoffs or won major bowls, neither which happened. Miles accomplishments dwarf both.
Probably because we saw improvement year after year. If he had been around for one more season we certainly would have contended for a title. From the Texas Bowl to the Cotton Bowl with some great wins inbetween.
PartyBear
syme said:

Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

TBD. Let's see what he does with Kansas level talent.

Bingo. This is what folks here are somehow over looking.
Hairy Bear
I have never liked Les Miles, but this is a good decision for their program.
Grumpy
This was a very good hire for KU, probably the best they could do. If he can hire a top coaching staff, they will be competitive within a couple years. He knows how to recruit the region. Big 12 just got more challenging.
PartyBear
I think some of y'all equate big name with good hire. It isn't exactly the same thing. Campbell and Rhule were probably better hires than this KU hire though neither was a big name. Big name does not translate to big wins in all circumstances, especially when the big name has been out of the game for a while. Not all places are equal to recruit to.
YoakDaddy
boognish_bear said:

Larry Coker to UTSA from Miami....but after he'd been on TV...only Miles wasn't on TV like Coker.
PartyBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Because he's a personality and crazy as an outhouse rat... This gaggle of coaches in this conference prob stand out as much as the 3rd round leaderboard of The Greater Hartford Open..Gundy excluded.

This is a home run hire for them..He's won a national championship for Christ's sake. This is Bobby Knight to Tech or Jimbo to Aggieland.

Have you not seen Rhule before he looks like a Tony Soprano NY working class gangster on the sideline. Rhule stands out.
Chuckroast
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

I like Miles, but to compare and contrast Miles and Briles simply by their winning percentage is ludicrous. Miles inherited one of the best programs in the country and a true blue blood where it is so much easier to recruit the best talent.

Briles inherited one of the worst power conference teams in the country with a track record of years of futility and built them into a perennial playoff contender, albeit it was short lived.

While Miles is a great coach, LSU fans by in large believed he often underachieved because their program was that good before he got there. Briles was a true program builder.

I love that Miles will be joining the Big 12, and I will be pulling for Kansas except when they play us.
Thee University
PartyBear said:

Eat up with what?? I dont recall you championing that Baylor should hire him in 16.

I suspect Miles is fired or decide to retire after year 4 with no better than a 4 win season under his belt there is more likely than duplicating his run at LSU ( top flight program he didnt have to build at all) in Lawrence. It should be noted his run at LSU was not exactly how he did at OSU (a mediocre program he took over). Maybe y'all are right perhaps he will build David Booth Memorial Stadium into a new Death Valley.
I did not "champion" whatever you intended that to mean.

I posted on BFs that he would be a great choice but most limp wrists who frequent bulletin boards said we would never have a shot at him.

Turning KU around will be a job even tougher than BU.
Thee University
Almost forgot.......eat up with either the dumb@$$ or the bust your kneecaps for Briles delusional funk.
Thee University
Chuckroast said:

Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

I like Miles, but to compare and contrast Miles and Briles simply by their winning percentage is ludicrous. Miles inherited one of the best programs in the country and a true blue blood where it is so much easier to recruit the best talent.

Briles inherited one of the worst power conference teams in the country with a track record of years of futility and built them into a perennial playoff contender, albeit it was short lived.

While Miles is a great coach, LSU fans by in large believed he often underachieved because their program was that good before he got there. Briles was a true program builder.

I love that Miles will be joining the Big 12, and I will be pulling for Kansas except when they play us.
It goes way beyond winning %.

Miles assistants now head coaching have far outshone Briles.

Miles reputation as a respected head coach is superior.

Miles discipline requirements at a school with little use for rules adherence was superior.

Miles pipeline into the NFL is superior.
BUmoneymaker
PartyBear said:

I think some of y'all equate big name with good hire. It isn't exactly the same thing. Campbell and Rhule were probably better hires than this KU hire though neither was a big name. Big name does not translate to big wins in all circumstances, especially when the big name has been out of the game for a while. Not all places are equal to recruit to.

But but but a&m hired jimbo and they are going to the playoff and are a lock for 5 straight nattys. Furthermore, since they have a big big stadium and now dominate the secsecsecsec, and you cannot walk on their grass, they are clearly Gods gift to the hwy 6 corridor.

A big name automatically equates to success, everytime, no exceptions....

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
BUmoneymaker
PartyBear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Have you not seen Rhule before he looks like a Tony Soprano NY working class gangster on the sideline. Rhule stands out.

This is hilarious

+rep

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
PartyBear
Thee University said:

Almost forgot.......eat up with either the dumb@$$ or the bust your kneecaps for Briles delusional funk.

Yet you are the one who keeps talking about the former HC here when the topic is Miles. Perhaps the rhyming name has created confusion.

As to you wanting Miles to Baylor I didn't remember that. I'm absolutely sure he would have come here if Rhoades thought that was a good move for the program. I personally agreed with Rhoades on that. So have several ADs over the past couple of years including at G5s until now Long at KU. He is the guy who thought big name Bielima would be great at Ark. I was actually giving you credit for understanding that just because Miles did great succeeding Saban at Blue blood LSU doesn't translate to duplicating that at Baylor or anywhere else. But I mis judged you apparently.
LiBeartarian
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

LOL Thee. Briles inherited nothing here. Miles walked into a championship team and a school that values football. Your Briles hatred has poisoned you and eliminated any rational though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.