Football
Sponsored by

Fire rhule now...

24,940 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoTexBear
MidWestBear2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Rhule doesn't get hired by the NFL I hope we fire him. In what other area of life can you act like this? What business would put up with an employee openly accepting job interviews like this? You are either fully committed to this program or you're not. Saying that he felt called by God here only makes this worse. There are only two options for him now. He was either called here and is rejecting God's calling, or he is a liar and no better than Tom Herman.
John Cougar
MidWestBear2010 said:

If Rhule doesn't get hired by the NFL I hope we fire him. In what other area of life can you act like this? What business would put up with an employee openly accepting job interviews like this? You are either fully committed to this program or you're not. Saying that he felt called by God here only makes this worse. There are only two options for him now. He was either called here and is rejecting God's calling, or he is a liar and no better than Tom Herman.
You are dumber than a box of dildos. Not those new "smart" dildos either.
MidWestBear2010
John Cougar said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Wow you make a lot of good points, nice comeback!
LTbear
MidWestBear2010 said:

John Cougar said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

To answer your question, most highly competitive fields would allow and even expect this to happen. To suggest that we fire Rhule because he may be listening to the offers of NFL teams is indeed extremely stupid.
ShooterTX
MidWestBear2010 said:

Did you say this same thing when Briles interviewed for the UT job?

Having good relationships with NFL programs can have a benefit for Baylor players trying to reach the next level. Building a relationship with competing universities does nothing beneficial for Baylor.

I think Rhule is interested in coaching in the NFL... someday. Therfore it would be foolish for him to reject an interview, and possibly create a sour relationship with a program. If Rhule starts taking interviews with other schools... that would be different. If he builds good report with NFL programs, it only makes it easier for them to call CMR for evaluations on our future draft candidates.

Maybe CMR will leave for the NFL, maybe not. It all depends on what he values the most. The money isn't all that different, if you are successful at either level. Does he value NFL prestige, or investing in young men? Does he enjoy recruiting players, or does he want to off load that to a GM? Does he want to deal with players contracts and free agency and mid season trades?

I tend to think that CMR will stay until we win the conference title. I think the biggest threat is if Penn State comes calling. The only thing that might make him stay would be the freedom to openly be Christian and if his family build roots in the Waco community. Building roots shouldn't be overlooked. I'm from San Antonio. We have a history as a family friendly town. Many of our Spurs players have stayed, long after they left or retired from the team. Waco has that advantage of Penn State comes calling in 3 or 4 years. Less than 3 years from now, may not be long enough for the Rhule family to be established.

MidWestBear2010
LTbear said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

John Cougar said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

To answer your question, most highly competitive fields would allow and even expect this to happen. To suggest that we fire Rhule because he may be listening to the offers of NFL teams is indeed extremely stupid.

I work in a highly competitive field. Granted the people I hire don't make as much as Rhule, but only desperate companies put up with this behavior, even for highly competitive fields. It therefore is telling how Baylor's leadership views this job. Do you really think other Power 5 schools would put up with this? Do you really think Texas or A&M would be ok with their coach interviewing for new jobs every single year?
Yogi
MidWestBear2010 said:

I'll give you one: the legal profession.

We are always contacting one another about possible hires, business opportunities and running for office.

I have many, many good friends and colleagues in my line of business, and if one of those colleagues contacts me about an opportunity, I will at least listen to them - even when I am going to turn them down.

Medical Doctors are much the same way - if not moreso.

Firing Rhule is idiotic. Why not just put a sign on the door of McLane Stadium saying this coaching opportunity is a dead end? Because that's exactly what you are doing. We are not Ohio State, Bama or even Texas. If we want to bring talented coaches in here, we are going to have to bring coaches that other programs want. Period.

If Rhule isn't offered by the Jets or turns the Jets down, then the building of our program continues instead of going backwards.

No offense, but I saw what changing coaches every few years did to this program in the Late 1990's and early 2000's. We almost lost our place in a P5.

Keep Coach Matt Rhule, and if Coach Rhule is thereafter offered a dream job that he can't refuse, I trust that Mack Rhoades will replace him with a top notch replacement who is perfect for the program at that time.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
MidWestBear2010
ShooterTX said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Having good relationships with NFL programs can have a benefit for Baylor players trying to reach the next level. Building a relationship with competing universities does nothing beneficial for Baylor.

I think Rhule is interested in coaching in the NFL... someday. Therfore it would be foolish for him to reject an interview, and possibly create a sour relationship with a program. If Rhule starts taking interviews with other schools... that would be different. If he builds good report with NFL programs, it only makes it easier for them to call CMR for evaluations on our future draft candidates.

Maybe CMR will leave for the NFL, maybe not. It all depends on what he values the most. The money isn't all that different, if you are successful at either level. Does he value NFL prestige, or investing in young men? Does he enjoy recruiting players, or does he want to off load that to a GM? Does he want to deal with players contracts and free agency and mid season trades?

I tend to think that CMR will stay until we win the conference title. I think the biggest threat is if Penn State comes calling. The only thing that might make him stay would be the freedom to openly be Christian and if his family build roots in the Waco community. Building roots shouldn't be overlooked. I'm from San Antonio. We have a history as a family friendly town. Many of our Spurs players have stayed, long after they left or retired from the team. Waco has that advantage of Penn State comes calling in 3 or 4 years. Less than 3 years from now, may not be long enough for the Rhule family to be established.

I didn't say it when Rhule interviewed for the Colts and I didn't say it when Briles interviewed for UT. Difference is that Briles wasn't interviewing every year he was at Baylor and was winning conference championships.
YoakDaddy
John Cougar said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Just make sure they're from Pharmaca so our regent can get the kickback on the purchase.
MilliVanilli
Yogi said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

We are always contacting one another about possible hires, business opportunities and running for office.

I have many, many good friends and colleagues in my line of business, and if one of those colleagues contacts me about an opportunity, I will at least listen to them - even when I am going to turn them down.

Firing Rhule is idiotic. Why not just put a sign on the door of McLane Stadium saying this coaching opportunity is a dead end? Because that's exactly what you are doing. We are not Ohio State, Bama or even Texas. If we want to bring talented coaches in here, we are going to have to bring coaches that other programs want. Period.

If Rhule isn't offered by the Jets or turns the Jets down, then the building of our program continues instead of going backwards.

No offense, but I saw what changing coaches every few years did to this program in the Late 1990's and early 2000's. We almost lost our place in a P5.

Keep Coach Matt Rhule, and if Coach Rhule is thereafter offered a dream job that he can't refuse, I trust that Mack Rhoades will replace him with a top notch replacement who is perfect for the program at that time.
Engineers and financial or tech executives are always poached from each other as well.
CorsicanaBear
I was in the fire Rhule camp right after the (still) incomprehensible loss to Liberty. I predicted no wins for the season and was off by one. I predicted three wins for the 2018 season and we were right on schedule through the OU game, but we fortunately picked up wins against KSU, OSU and TT for six.

As a result I moved from the fire camp to the MEH camp. He showed me something in the second half of the season. Not enough to get really excited about prospects going forward, but enough to wait and see what else he can do. 3-4 wins last season would have left me in that same place.

Based on what we've seen so far, CMR leaving or staying are approximately equal outcomes.
Illigitimus non carborundum
canoso
ShooterTX said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

It's always been my understanding that Briles never interviewed for the UT job and that the fact that he wouldn't do so was what infuriated UT powerbrokers.
Redbrickbear
MidWestBear2010 said:

Being "called" is a marketing slogan that works on the Prestonwood types that run Baylor.

Can't hate on Rhule for playing to the crowd though.

Vague Chrisitan-ish sort of talk is what the Regents want to hear.....and they are his employer.
Redbrickbear
YoakDaddy said:

John Cougar said:

Just make sure they're from Pharmaca so our regent can get the kickback on the purchase.
Oh Snap! Yoak just went savage on this sucka!

Redbrickbear
Yogi said:

yep
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear said:

Yogi said:

Doctors chase money the way 18 year old boys chase girls.

More money hungry than the slimiest lawyer you know.

Huge amount of MDs are just terrible humans.
Yogi
canoso said:

ShooterTX said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

It's always been my understanding that Briles never interviewed for the UT job and that the fact that he wouldn't do so was what infuriated UT powerbrokers.
Correct. Briles turned down an offer to interview - not an offer to a job.

I know for a fact that the UT brass were pissed off and vowed to get Briles back.

Briles forgot that the UT brass have ins with the Longhorn Network, and ultimately ESPN.

Today, Art Briles is coaching football in Italy.

Yogi
YoakDaddy said:

John Cougar said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

hitmanmw
There is no way that Rhule shopping around every off-season helps the program. You think other schools are not negatively recruiting the heck out of this??? I would be very skeptical committing to Rhule if I was a recruit.
SATXBear
Yogi said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

agree
oldbear69
MilliVanilli said:

Yogi said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Engineers and financial or tech executives are always poached from each other as well.

blah, blah, blah...
Timbear
After a great bowl game, and everyone finally coming together, Rhule pulls this crap. Now, who can believe the guy. The only way he can dig out of this is to stay 3 more years, and go to any bowl each year.
BUmoneymaker
If its just business, and we are supposed to accept being a stepping stone every year at his blessed discretion, i say sooner than later and get it over with. What the fudge do I get as a fan out of knowing not only do we have a good coach but that he actually WANTS to leave. How the hell is that supposed to make a fanatic or a player feel better.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
MilliVanilli
Timbear said:

After a great bowl game, and everyone finally coming together, Rhule pulls this crap. Now, who can believe the guy. The only way he can dig out of this is to stay 3 more years, and go to any bowl each year.
Sounds like you were just waiting for an excuse to pounce on something.

He was asked by an NFL team in his hometown to interview, he did.

CAB himself would've gone to the Cowboys or Longhorns...almost Tech, that didn't seem to bother you.
Timbear
Many of us told the new Caber's, Milli, X and Thee, that this guy is not the guy. We told you so. Rhule will now have to do a lot more Sunday Nights at Prestonwood.
MilliVanilli
Timbear said:

Many of us told the new Caber's, Milli, X and Thee, that this guy is not the guy. We told you so. Rhule will now have to do a lot more Sunday Nights at Prestonwood.
I'm sure this post made sense to you somehow, to the rest of us it's gibberish though.
summaryjudged
Rhule used to coach at temple too. Weird how that works huh? He was under contract til 2021 there. The temper tantrum and feigned outrage in here is embarrassing.
SoTexBear
What in the world is wrong with you people?!? Can't you appreciate we have an asset who is wanted by others? Be thankful. Sheesh.
c/o 1993
Proud husband to another Bear and dad to a current Bear and future Bear!
BylrFan
SoTexBear said:

What in the world is wrong with you people?!? Can't you appreciate we have an asset who is wanted by others? Be thankful. Sheesh.

We can be thankful for that, but I don't like my wife cheating and having a one night stand as well. Then coming back to me because the sex was bad with the other guy.
John Cougar
BylrFan said:

SoTexBear said:

We can be thankful for that, but I don't like my wife cheating and having a one night stand as well. Then coming back to me because the sex was bad with the other guy.
I see that took you two edits to get it up. She ain't coming back.
BylrFan
John Cougar said:

BylrFan said:

SoTexBear said:

I see that took you two edits to get it up. She ain't coming back.
sadly not, who knows what's ahead
Thee University
MidWestBear2010 said:

I didn't say it when Rhule interviewed for the Colts and I didn't say it when Briles interviewed for UT. Difference is that Briles wasn't interviewing every year he was at Baylor and was winning conference championships.
Have you ever considered that maybe the NFL has a lot more respect for Matt Rhule and Matt has a more professional demeanor than your boy?

LIB,MR BEARS
If nobody ever comes after any of my employees, then I suck at hiring and I should be the one fired.
Yogi
SoTexBear said:

I dunno. As I get older, I find that I have fewer and fewer of them myself,,,
SoTexBear
BylrFan said:

SoTexBear said:

This is a horrible, horrible analogy. This is him talking to a potential employer. When I was with early in my time with my current employer, I interviewed with another company and my boss knew it. I called him from the airport as I was flying back to let him know that I had too good a situation to leave. He respected the fact that I was open to opportunities to better care for my family and further appreciated my willingness to be honest with him through the process. He did not consider it "a one night stand". No need to be so dramatic dude.
c/o 1993
Proud husband to another Bear and dad to a current Bear and future Bear!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.