Football
Sponsored by

Anyone excited to watch UCF get screwed?

7,234 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by REX
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am not.
Dealpfffdeal
Screwed? They don't deserve to be in playoff. They aren't one of the best four teams in college football. Get over yourselves UCF
BUBear24
tommie said:

I am not.

Who would you move them over to get in?

If their main QB wasn't done I'd say they could have a bigger fight, but they almost lost to Memphis yesterday in somewhat an ugly game.

If there was 8 teams in playoff for sure they should be in as the outlier G5 but with 4 they'll never get in with 5 P5s and ND every year
Mitch Blood Green
Dealpfffdeal said:

Screwed? They don't deserve to be in playoff. They aren't one of the best four teams in college football. Get over yourselves UCF

You can't say they don't belong. Here's what I am sure of. They didn't lose to Texas or Purdue or LSU.
BUBear24
tommie said:

Dealpfffdeal said:

You can't say they don't belong. Here's what I am sure of. They didn't lose to Texas or Purdue or LSU.

All 3 of those teams would likely beat them. For sure 2 of the 3.
Mitch Blood Green
BUBear24 said:

tommie said:

I am not.

If their main QB wasn't done I'd say they could have a bigger fight, but they almost lost to Memphis yesterday in somewhat an ugly game.

If there was 8 teams in playoff for sure they should be in as the outlier G5 but with 4 they'll never get in with 5 P5s and ND every year

I've decided they are my number 4. All undefeated teams. Alabama, ND, Clemson, UCF.
Mitch Blood Green
BUBear24 said:

tommie said:

Dealpfffdeal said:

We don't know that. If this were 8 teams (should be), we'd know. Or at least argue about number 8.

I love the NCAA basketball tournament because it gives the little guys a chance. Sure, they often lose but they don't lose woth a vote.

RegentCoverup
tommie said:

Dealpfffdeal said:

Totally agree they deserve it. But I enjoy watching college football facing disappointment in public, so I'm gonna watch.
PartyBear
Did UCF even play a P5 school? I know fellow conf member Cincy did on the road and won (it was UCLA who was not good but nonetheless). They did and won.
Mitch Blood Green
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

tommie said:

Dealpfffdeal said:

Totally agree they deserve it. But I enjoy watching college football facing disappointment in public, so I'm gonna watch.

I'm no fool. Of course I will watch. I'm watching talking heads and blue bloods arguing over OU or Georgia or OSU.
BUBear24
tommie said:

BUBear24 said:

tommie said:

I am not.

I've decided they are my number 4. All undefeated teams. Alabama, ND, Clemson, UCF.

Unless they play 2 P5s in OOC they'll never get consideration for the playoff. Their schedule of strength is too weak.
Grumpy
Princeton is undefeated in football this season. And they dominated in most of their games. Maybe we should let them in too.
Mitch Blood Green
PartyBear said:

Did UCF even play a P5 school? I know fellow conf member Cincy did on the road and won (it was UCLA who was not good but nonetheless). They did and won.

They beat Pitt by a similar score as Clemson.

UNC game was cancelled
Mitch Blood Green
Grumpy said:

Princeton is undefeated in football this season. And they dominated in most of their games. Maybe we should let them in too.

They are eligible for a playoff in their division but the Ivy doesn't participate in playoffs.
boognish_bear
I don't think they are one of the top 4...but I'd love to see them play one of those teams.

They got some respect beating Auburn last year. Maybe they can knock off another big program this year in their NY6

ShooterTX
UCF Is just a solid argument (as if we need another) for expanding to 8 teams.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Dealpfffdeal said:

They should get rid of conference championships and go to 8 teams. If you're in the FBS and you go undefeated, you should have a chance to play for a national championship.
Aliceinbubbleland
tommie said:

Dealpfffdeal said:

It's too bad they lost their QB. I'm hoping they destroy someone in the bowl games.
cowboycwr
BUBear24 said:

tommie said:

Dealpfffdeal said:

Sorry but they would beat all of those teams.

Your argument is the same that was made for years against Boise State. And they proceeded to go and beat these "big boy teams" repeatedly. Often at the teams home. VT, Oregon Oklahoma (greatest fiesta bowl ever), etc

But they did lose to a team in chaos of Baylor.

I hate the argument "but they would lose because that is a P5 school" without letting them play.

In basketball a 16 seed had never beaten a 1 seed.... but that didn't stop UMBC from playing the game and shocking everyone.
xiledinok
Should schedule 8 Power 5 games.
CFP wasn't meant for G5.
Mitch Blood Green
As Baylor, we can be sure that like UCF, if we are big 12 champions and 12-1, we can be (and will) be passed over by a two loss SEC team.
Guy Noir
Dealpfffdeal said:

They deserve a chance to play because of their record.
Aliceinbubbleland
Just heard Greg McElroy state his case against UCF and he has a point.

TCU was 36-3 in MW
Now 14-14 in Big 12.

I have no idea if his number for TCU in Big 12 is correct but his point is valid. He even ended it up saying something slighting Tulsa lol.
Baylor3216
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Just heard Greg McElroy state his case against UCF and he has a point.

TCU was 36-3 in MW
Now 14-14 in Big 12.

I have no idea if his number for TCU in Big 12 is correct but his point is valid. He even ended it up saying something slighting Tulsa lol.

Basically half of tcu's Big 12 seasons have been losing seasons - 4 out of 7 seasons will have been 7-6 or much worse. They took advantage of Baylor blowing up Oklahoma and Texas.
Lil Sebastian
This entire argument ignores strength of schedule. IMO, if you want a spot in the playoffs, join a p5 conference. Still disagree with ND being number 3 with their only impressive win being against michigan at the beginning of the season, but they have at least had two top 25 matchups when compared to the 0 top 25 matchups UCF has had.

If they want in, they need to risk playing tougher games and having a conference title that actually means something. They certainly were not screwed. And their "meh" posts about LSU will only be sweeter when they get shut down by LSU
CHP Bear
tommie said:

BUBear24 said:

tommie said:

I am not.

Alabama/UCF couldn't be any worse than Alabama/OU.
cowboycwr
Lil Sebastian said:

This entire argument ignores strength of schedule. IMO, if you want a spot in the playoffs, join a p5 conference. Still disagree with ND being number 3 with their only impressive win being against michigan at the beginning of the season, but they have at least had two top 25 matchups when compared to the 0 top 25 matchups UCF has had.

If they want in, they need to risk playing tougher games and having a conference title that actually means something. They certainly were not screwed. And their "meh" posts about LSU will only be sweeter when they get shut down by LSU

Joining a power 5 isn't that easy. Several schools have tried to do so and gotten no where with it.

I think the conference they are in had the right idea. They are trying to sell their entire conference as the next power conference and make it P6. That might be a tough sell but they have at least 4-6 schools making a good case and putting up good records against the P5 schools.
The_barBEARian
Dealpfffdeal said:

24 game win streak... they deserve it and the fans deserve a 8 team playoff.
Lil Sebastian
The_barBEARian said:

Dealpfffdeal said:

24 game win streak... they deserve it and the fans deserve a 8 team playoff.

Half of the p5 teams would also be undefeated this year with their schedule. If the program expects success, then the AD should plan accordingly and schedule tougher games, which unless they change conferences can only be achieved with OOC games. Baylor was in the same position in 2014. We historically have scheduled cupcake OOC games. If we had played a top 25 opponent that separated us from TCU, we would've had a bid that year. But programs never "deserve" a spot when their program schedules are made with a mindset of maximizing wins rather than accepting challenge. If they end up beating LSU, then I'll go ahead and agree that maybe they were one of the best teams, but even then I don't think there was ever room for them in the first place. You really think UCF deserves a spot more than OU whose only loss was by 3 points to a team that they just beat by 12 this past weekend?

Edit: maybe we wouldn't have had a 2014 bid, but certainly would have had more serious consideration
Lil Sebastian
I certainly am a proponent of CFP expansion and don't really understand the committee's opposition to it, but under the current setup I don't see any way UCF could have or should have received a spot this year.
Stranger
Screwed?

Hell, they're getting to play in the Fiesta Bowl which ain't too shabby. Last time they played there they humbled a conference champion Baylor Bear team
Joe Waco
Lil Sebastian said:

You really think UCF deserves a spot more than OU whose only loss was by 3 points to a team that they just beat by 12 this past weekend?

I do. They didn't lose any games.

For all the SOS talk, UCF at least beat a OOC P5 opponent with a winning record. The entire big 12 didn't even manage to do that.

Speaking of...How good is the big 12 really anyways?
Texas lost to Maryland. ISU lost to Iowa. We lost to Duke. Tech lost Ole Miss. Wvu beat Tennessee. Maybe the best win was Oklahoma state over Boise state??
Lil Sebastian
last year's bowl results
Big 12:
Favored to win 3, exceeds with 5 wins. Not to mention close OT game against UGA who ended up brining Alabama into OT the next week.
Average margin of loss in bowl season: 8.6
Number of bowls against ranked opponents: 4

American:
Favored to win 5, underperforms with 4.
Average margin of loss: 16, nearly double the Big 12's.
Number of bowls against ranked opponents: 1. And I'm sure you know which game I'm referencing. Plus, many argue that this Auburn team lost its steam after losing the SEC champ to a team they had previously beaten 40-17 in the regular season. They were almost in the playoffs and then had to settle for UCF.

I can't believe that people are arguing this. UCF fan base needs to stop complaining and focus on LSU. If they win, then the program proves that last year wasn't a fluke. Even though every year is theoretically supposed to be a clean slate, it's not. With only four open slots, your program or conference needs a proven track record to be deserving of a spot. Do you think that any undefeated G5 team should get a bid? That's an irresponsible idea unless CFP expands.
contrario
Joe Waco said:

Lil Sebastian said:

You really think UCF deserves a spot more than OU whose only loss was by 3 points to a team that they just beat by 12 this past weekend?

I do. They didn't lose any games.

For all the SOS talk, UCF at least beat a OOC P5 opponent with a winning record. The entire big 12 didn't even manage to do that.

Speaking of...How good is the big 12 really anyways?
Texas lost to Maryland. ISU lost to Iowa. We lost to Duke. Tech lost Ole Miss. Wvu beat Tennessee. Maybe the best win was Oklahoma state over Boise state??
How many P5 wins did OU have? How many did UCF have? Therein lies the answer to the questions you seek, not OOC P5 victories when that was your only real challenge all season.
Lil Sebastian
Thank you, finally someone logical.
I have little compassion for UCF fans. They keep posting on LSU forums saying they would've been undefeated in the sec west last year, as in the division with auburn, LSU, a&m, Mississippi state, and bama. They better prove it in this bowl against a 3-loss SEC team or shut up and go home.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.