Football
Sponsored by

Do Bowl Games Mean Anything

5,923 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 241Bear
BoonDockSaint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Next thing you know...these young guys will stop attending class their last year so they can "fully prepare" for their senior season to "maybe" improve their draft stock

Oh wait...guys like Byron Hanspard already dropped 2000 yards rushing a 0.0 GPA and got drafted what ?

In the 4th round was it and was an NFL bust

Did he ever finish his degree ?
90sBear
Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

That sound you hear is the inevitable change in college football as players decide that their long term future and their family's future is more important than a single bowl game. The trend won't be changing any time soon.

That sound I hear is a *****y, whining and ungrateful prima donna.
The sound I hear from you is a *****y, whining, and ungrateful fan who thinks his years as a fan mean he deserves to see a 22 year old kid risk his future livelihood for personal enjoyment.
We are talking about 1.6% of college players that even make the leap into the NFL. The sure-fire, 1st rounders are even less.

Is it too much to ask that these "team" players pay back what they are stealing by not upholding their end of the "contract"?

You guys act like you might be on welfare. You want something for nothing. I'm not giving you a participation trophy. You only get a ribbon.

Sure, the coach and school can ask. They can put it into a contract that the players have to sign before the season begins. "You as the committed scholarship player agree to play every game this season. For every game that you refuse to play not due to injury, you will reimburse the school the percentage of games you missed of your tuition for the semester."

Then they can sit back and get ready for the media onslaught that will come from it. And then prepare themselves for the negative recruiting that other schools will use against them.

As I said before, very few coaches could withstand the pressure that would bring and I still say there are probably many coaches out there who, depending on the circumstances, give their blessing to the player because they want him drafted highly as well.
I'm not advocating that Baylor go lone wolf on this. I'm saying all of college football, outside the bluebloods, are going to be hard pressed to keep up with the big boys.

I personally think the liberal media, outside of ESPN, will support what I advocate.

College football is changing and you can't let 18-22 year old kids run the programs. The parts (players) are interchangeable.

How many of our recent high draft choices have panned out? Should any of them skipped their bowl games?

Baylor is different. As a private school we can manage and run our athletic departments a bit differently and still be an attractive choice for a kid who values his education and REAL future.
You think the "liberal media" will support the big rich private Christian school attempting to be reimbursed from the poor single parent black kid who can finally buy his mom that house she could never afford as long as he doesn't get hurt in the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl? OK. Good luck with that. Even if those aren't the facts, that is the way it will be spun.

I agree that college football is changing and I understand wanting to retain control over the program and the players. But students have freedom of choice and schools have to decide which battles are worth fighting over. So far I would say schools have decided it's not worth fighting for yet.

The more you make players look like employees, and that's exactly what you are making them look like with the scenario you are describing, the more ammunition the "pay the players" crowd will have. What you are describing sounds most like the service academies (Army, Navy, Air Force) where if the students quit after the second year they are required to pay back the school. I'm not sure that's the image college football wants to move in as service academy students are paid to attend school.

I think this trend will continue to grow until it reaches a point where either schools give up, or so many players start doing it that almost every coach nation wide agrees that a change needs to be made. Perhaps a high enough profile coach like Saban says "no more" when one of his players skips a playoff game.

The problem is, as I've said before, I don't think every coach agrees with your idea. I think there are coaches out there that say they completely understand the player's position and support their decision. Sure, some may just be paying lip service to avoid being portrayed badly. But I think some genuinely feel that way.

We will see how this develops over the next few years as more and more players choose not to play. You just better be hoping that no draft worthy players get a significant injury during the bowl season. Because the next time it happens the flood gates will really open.

EDIT: To be clear, I understand your position and don't necessarily think you are wrong in theory. Players choose to use up a scholarship that lasts the entire season, they should play for the entire season including the bowl game. I just think this is one where the image of the poor student athlete wins out vs the greedy rich school.
possible12
bernard_legoat said:

Thee University said:

tommie said:

Thee University said:

I believe any player this selfish and willing to leave his teammates on an island when they obviously were a major reason a team even makes a bowl should have to pay back his final year on campus tuition, fees, etc. His future NFL contract will not suffer as this will be a pittance.

Any player who does this demonstrates for the world to see their true dedication to our alma mater, their teammates, their coaches and alumni footing the bill. This is just another continuation of the downfall of college athletics,

Them days are long gone. You're asking for a one way dedication. In fact, you're suggesting players should be loyal while coaches will sign a player one day and take another job the next.

It was nice when it was different but is getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game worth it.

If we get back to 20 bowl games, we can talk.
One way? Baylor is bending over backwards for these guys and providing them with some of the finest facilities, training, nutrition and education in the south How can you sit there and say this is one way? The last time I checked these are still TEAMS, not individuals.

Who cares about the coaches?

We had a name for players that played not to get hurt. Have we gotten so far down the road of pussification of college football that you guys are starting to feel sorry for these super stars and are fine with 85% effort or 90% effort?

I knew the large majority of BF's and 365'ers were sporting limp wrists and pencil necks when we had the discussion about Oklahoma drills and then the topper of all toppers....................those of you who claimed we should not be playing good, solid teams in non-conference because someone might get hurt.

Good grief.
lol bending over backwards.

Why don't you care about the coaches, sir?

Let's say Jalen Hurd was healthy, what does he have to gain by playing in the Texas Bowl? This entire argument is predicated on the fans (like yourself) being selfish. We have a term for that as well, since you want to play the guessing game.
And fortunately, "pencil necked'," limp wristed" Will Greer and Ed Oliver, etc. don't give 2 shts what judgemental, old fart, livin in the past, rednecks think. Oliver is every bit as injured as Hurt, btw. With much more to lose.
Thee University
possible12 said:

bernard_legoat said:

Thee University said:

tommie said:

Thee University said:

I believe any player this selfish and willing to leave his teammates on an island when they obviously were a major reason a team even makes a bowl should have to pay back his final year on campus tuition, fees, etc. His future NFL contract will not suffer as this will be a pittance.

Any player who does this demonstrates for the world to see their true dedication to our alma mater, their teammates, their coaches and alumni footing the bill. This is just another continuation of the downfall of college athletics,

Them days are long gone. You're asking for a one way dedication. In fact, you're suggesting players should be loyal while coaches will sign a player one day and take another job the next.

It was nice when it was different but is getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game worth it.

If we get back to 20 bowl games, we can talk.
One way? Baylor is bending over backwards for these guys and providing them with some of the finest facilities, training, nutrition and education in the south How can you sit there and say this is one way? The last time I checked these are still TEAMS, not individuals.

Who cares about the coaches?

We had a name for players that played not to get hurt. Have we gotten so far down the road of pussification of college football that you guys are starting to feel sorry for these super stars and are fine with 85% effort or 90% effort?

I knew the large majority of BF's and 365'ers were sporting limp wrists and pencil necks when we had the discussion about Oklahoma drills and then the topper of all toppers....................those of you who claimed we should not be playing good, solid teams in non-conference because someone might get hurt.

Good grief.
lol bending over backwards.

Why don't you care about the coaches, sir?

Let's say Jalen Hurd was healthy, what does he have to gain by playing in the Texas Bowl? This entire argument is predicated on the fans (like yourself) being selfish. We have a term for that as well, since you want to play the guessing game.
And fortunately, "pencil necked'," limp wristed" Will Greer and Ed Oliver, etc. don't give 2 shts what judgemental, old fart, livin in the past, rednecks think. Oliver is every bit as injured as Hurt, btw. With much more to lose.
Correct. They can be flipping burgers in 5 years and still earn enough to pay back a UH and WV education.

The pencil necks and limp wrists are reserved for Baylor Bubble boys only!! No players allowed.
241Bear
Thee University said:

I can guarantee you that if a coach suspects his star player is going to sit in the bowl game, that kid is going to see less playing time as the season winds down.
Really? A coach is going to reduce the playing time of a star player who helps the coach win games and in some cases compete for a conference championship? So Holgerson might have reduced Grier's playing time vs. OK State and OU, the final two games of this season, if he suspected Grier might sit out the bowl game? Not sure about that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.