Football
Sponsored by

I want OU and UT to roll 'Bama and Georgia

3,658 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pecos 45
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UT getting stomped by Georgia has no effect on Baylor.
Forest Bueller
Keyser Soze said:

Do people not realize that teams in the Big12 made more money than every conference but the SEC and Big10?

There is no SEC or Big10 invite waiting - so get over this Big12 is trash crap. What is good for the Big12 is good for Baylor, and what is good for the Big12 is winning those OOC games.

This.
muddybrazos
i've got OU +14 so boomer f'n sooner
Keyser Soze
A down UT was likely a big player in letting Ohio State leapfrog Baylor for that final playoff spot a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong. It's fun seeing Texas fall on its ass, it just needs to be Baylor being the one making them slip
Chuckroast
Keyser Soze said:

Do people not realize that teams in the Big12 made more money than every conference but the SEC and Big10?

There is no SEC or Big10 invite waiting - so get over this Big12 is trash crap. What is good for the Big12 is good for Baylor, and what is good for the Big12 is winning those OOC games.

I think you're right, but I think UT will lose big. Don't know what to think of the OU game because it's a much different scheme than Bama has faced. I think OU loses badly 8 out of 10 times, but it's an odd game.
Aliceinbubbleland
Pecos 45 said:

For the sake of the Big 12, "Hook 'em, Horns," and "Boomer Sooner."
No way in hell. And I hate Bama too and have no use for UGA but those other two are aholes delux
Q Bear
The SEC has become a premium product because the schools support one another out of conference. It wasn't always that way. I was raised in the middle of SEC Country. It'll be great if we can beat my childhood team and key founding member of the SEC, Vanderbilt. We should pull for the others in the Big 12 to do the same. The Big 12 needs it.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Keyser Soze said:

A down UT was likely a big player in letting Ohio State leapfrog Baylor for that final playoff spot a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong. It's fun seeing Texas fall on its ass, it just needs to be Baylor being the one making them slip
History indicates 2 things that are counterpoints to your argument:

1. An "up" UT normally means a down Baylor. An "up" OU normally means a down Baylor. An "up" UT and "up" OU coinciding DEFINITELY means a down Baylor.

2. Baylor beating an "up" UT or an "up" OU immediately knocks them to a "down" because that's how the sporting world sees things, though it isn't fair.

So I'll stick to my extremely logical conclusion.
Keyser Soze
BarleyMcDougal said:

Keyser Soze said:

1. An "up" UT normally means a down Baylor. An "up" OU normally means a down Baylor. An "up" UT and "up" OU coinciding DEFINITELY means a down Baylor.

2. Baylor beating an "up" UT or an "up" OU immediately knocks them to a "down" because that's how the sporting world sees things, though it isn't fair.

In 2014 when Baylor finished 5th in regular season in the first year of a four team playoff Texas finished 6-6

Texas can get beat by Baylor and still finish top 10, 2014 Baylor didn't beat a great Texas team, but they certainly could have, and if they did OSU would not have jumped them.

BearPa
People in hell want ice water, too.
BearPa
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Keyser Soze said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Keyser Soze said:

In 2014 when Baylor finished 5th in regular season in the first year of a four team playoff Texas finished 6-6

Texas can get beat by Baylor and still finish top 10, 2014 Baylor didn't beat a great Texas team, but they certainly could have, and if they did OSU would not have jumped them.
I'm not sure where to start, but I'll try.

1. You didn't refute anything I said.
2. The conversation was initially about rooting for conference teams in bowl games. I'm not going to because it doesn't help Baylor, despite what you believe.
3. The "argument" about why Baylor was left out was twofold: (a) Baylor's OOC schedule was poor and (b) the biggest reason was that Big 10 had a conference championship game and the Big 12 did not. Their win over Wisconsin allowed them to leapfrog Baylor/TCU because of the datapoint, which is code for RATINGS.

Guys, wake up. Rah Rah'ing for UT and OU is pointless. It doesn't help the conference and sure doesn't help Baylor.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Q Bear said:

The SEC has become a premium product because the schools support one another out of conference. It wasn't always that way. I was raised in the middle of SEC Country. It'll be great if we can beat my childhood team and key founding member of the SEC, Vanderbilt. We should pull for the others in the Big 12 to do the same. The Big 12 needs it.
The SEC's status is based on demographics and network publicity. It has nothing to do with them cheering for each other. That stuff's for t-shirt fans.
Keyser Soze
BarleyMcDougal said:

Keyser Soze said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Keyser Soze said:

2. The conversation was initially about rooting for conference teams in bowl games. I'm not going to because it doesn't help Baylor, despite what you believe.
3. The "argument" about why Baylor was left out was twofold: (a) Baylor's OOC schedule was poor and (b) the biggest reason was that Big 10 had a conference championship game and the Big 12 did not. Their win over Wisconsin allowed them to leapfrog Baylor/TCU because of the datapoint, which is code for RATINGS.

Guys, wake up. Rah Rah'ing for UT and OU is pointless. It doesn't help the conference and sure doesn't help Baylor.

Well to directly address your first point, why the heck does Texas have to be down for Baylor to be up? You sound like some of that national press that thinks Baylor only won the Big12 because Texas was down. Have a little more pride.

How OU and UT perform on a very big stage obviously impacts the perception of the Big12. Baylor is obviously affiliated with the Big12. It seems easy dots to connect to me.

Banned BarleyMcDougal
Keyser Soze said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Keyser Soze said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Keyser Soze said:

Well to directly address your first point, why the heck does Texas have to be down for Baylor to be up? You sound like some of that national press that thinks Baylor only won the Big12 because Texas was down. Have a little more pride.

How OU and UT perform on a very big stage obviously impacts the perception of the Big12. Baylor is obviously affiliated with the Big12. It seems easy dots to connect to me.

I feel like maybe you aren't intelligent enough to...connect the dots.

You answered your own question. Who do you think is responsible for the self-fulfilling narratives of college athletics? Could it be...the national press? Could it be...the TV networks? It has nothing to do with pride. I understand how college athletics is rigged.

The perception of the Big 12 means nothing to smaller schools. It means nothing to any of the schools that don't drive advertising and viewers nationally.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Cheering for OU and UT is dumb. It's always gonna be dumb. It's never going to affect Baylor.

You can parrot all the monotonous and cliche talking points that have numbed the minds of virtually every person who's a sports fan. It doesn't change facts.
Keyser Soze
So by your logic, if Texas and OU were both really good in 2014. The Big12 maybe even the best ranked conference, it's champion Baylor still gets passed over by Ohio State because the fix is in.

4th and Inches
I want both teams to either win or lose by less than a field goal... other than that, IDGAS
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Mitch Henessey
Keyser Soze said:

So by your logic, if Texas and OU were both really good in 2014. The Big12 maybe even the best ranked conference, it's champion Baylor still gets passed over by Ohio State because the fix is in.

No, his logic is "if OU and UT somehow lose to BAYLOR, OU and UT must not be very good this year." Which is pretty much exactly how the national media perceives it. There's no such thing as a good Texas or Oklahoma if they can't beat Baylor.
Keyser Soze
Mitch Henessey said:

Keyser Soze said:

No, his logic is "if OU and UT somehow lose to BAYLOR, OU and UT must not be very good this year." Which is pretty much exactly how the national media perceives it. There's no such thing as a good Texas or Oklahoma if they can't beat Baylor.

Thanks

I think that is little too much of a poor me attitude and is not supported by objective criteria. In 2014 Texas had six regular season losses and OU four. The were down not just because the lost to Baylor.

The CFP final regular season poll in 2014 had no P5 team with two losses or less out of the top ten.
Mitch Henessey
Keyser Soze said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Keyser Soze said:

Thanks

I think that is little too much of a poor me attitude and is not supported by objective criteria. In 2014 Texas had six regular season losses and OU four. The were down not just because the lost to Baylor.

The CFP final regular season poll in 2014 had no P5 team with two losses or less out of the top ten.
I don't disagree with your point here at all. I do think there is an inherent bias toward those two teams, though. The Big 12 is considered down unless 1 of the 2 (and preferably both) are in the conversation.

And, to the OP's original point, eff Texas. I'll root for OU, but I will never, ever root for UT unless them winning means Baylor wins a conference championship tiebreaker. And even then, it'll be through clenched teeth.
Keyser Soze
Just to be clear, not rooting for those arragant orange *****s - just think it's good for the Big12 which in turn is good for Baylor. Ie) SEC dislike > UT dislike
TDSteele
Wait, somebody actually said the SEC schools support each other? Can you find a fan, coach, player, or administrator, at Auburn, hoping and cheering for a Bama victory and Natty? Show me.
Pecos 45
TDSteele said:

Wait, somebody actually said the SEC schools support each other? Can you find a fan, coach, player, or administrator, at Auburn, hoping and cheering for a Bama victory and Natty? Show me.
True.
But the SEC supports its teams by personally having to approve all bowl bids.
That way they only approve bowls where their teams have a better chance of winning.
i.e. LSU being matched up against Texas Tech a few years ago when everyone wanted a Tech-A&M tilt.
LSU had Leonard Fournette, Tech had no run defense, so the SEC liked that matchup and approved it, even though the fans wanted A&M.
That's how SEC teams "support each other."

And if you can find a MS State fan that will root for Ole Miss then I've got land to sell you.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.