Football
Sponsored by

Chris Platt Staying?

12,213 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
ColomboLQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MilliVanilli said:

historian said:

Truth of the matter is that the QB whisperer was great with QB's: recruiting, developing, playing. They were all great. Can you imagine how Zach Smith might have developed had he that kind of tutelage? Even with the limited amount he had, he did very good in 2016-17 under very difficult circumstances--including lots of deep balls. Even the crappy announcers at the Cactus Bowl could not help but praise some of his great throws in that game. Specifically, I am thinking about the 22 yard pass to Pooh Stricklin late in the 3rd quarter.

Here is the drive with more than one such throw--note the incomplete pass in the end zone at the end of the drive:

They were all great? Kirby Freeman was great? Chris Johnson was great? Andre Frerking was great? Blake Syzmanski was great? Chad President was great?

Smith had a nice arm, might've done ok in a Briles offense, might do well in Tulsa, but let's not pretend he was an all-world Qb that was going to be a Heisman candidate and a first round pick.

Briles recruited Freeman? Recruited Frerking? Recruited Syzmanski? Chad President came to Baylor? Desperation is a really ****ty smelling perfume.
MilliVanilli
ColomboLQ said:

MilliVanilli said:

historian said:

Truth of the matter is that the QB whisperer was great with QB's: recruiting, developing, playing. They were all great. Can you imagine how Zach Smith might have developed had he that kind of tutelage? Even with the limited amount he had, he did very good in 2016-17 under very difficult circumstances--including lots of deep balls. Even the crappy announcers at the Cactus Bowl could not help but praise some of his great throws in that game. Specifically, I am thinking about the 22 yard pass to Pooh Stricklin late in the 3rd quarter.

Here is the drive with more than one such throw--note the incomplete pass in the end zone at the end of the drive:

They were all great? Kirby Freeman was great? Chris Johnson was great? Andre Frerking was great? Blake Syzmanski was great? Chad President was great?

Smith had a nice arm, might've done ok in a Briles offense, might do well in Tulsa, but let's not pretend he was an all-world Qb that was going to be a Heisman candidate and a first round pick.

Briles recruited Freeman? Recruited Frerking? Recruited Syzmanski? Chad President came to Baylor? Desperation is a really ****ty smelling perfume.
Cabers sure are selective with their reading and agenda, keep charging at windmills.

He did recruit Freeman to transfer, he did have Blake for two years, he did recruit the royal bust Chad President who was under Monty, the very coach who would've coached him at Baylor had he come, 4 star Chris Johnson never competed to start and moved to tight end and then transferred.

What surely does smell desperate and ****ty is the Caber want to pretend their disgraced hero spun gold out of everything in sight.

He missed a lot on the higher starred recruits.

And while were at it since you don't want Blake and Freeman to be credited to Briles then he doesn't get credit for Nick Florence either, Morriss recruited him.
historian
MilliVanilli said:

Greatness is not limited to Heisman candidates or first round picks. No question that Bryce Petty was great at Baylor but he was neither (arguably should have been in NYC, but that's another discussion). The QBs Briles recruited & developed at Baylor all did great things or at least had potential. Chris Johnson definitely did and we saw it late in 2015. His playing in the second half in Stillwater was fabulous and no one can honestly say he did not have the game of his life. TCU & Texas were different. Had the weather been better &/or he had more confidence he likely could have done better in Ft. Worth & the Texas game was a debacle largely because the Horns concussed him early in the game.

As for Zach Smith, he showed greatness in Morgantown & in the bowl game.

Not everyone can be an instant success or shoot to stardom as quickly and dramatically as an RGIII. I would say that each of our starting QBs in those years was great in his own way and over time might have accomplished more given the chance.
BoonDockSaint
Zach threw bullets on a rope into the ground. 25 yards passed the WRs feet @90 MPH 50% of the time
xiledinok
Platt should give Bears depth in a back up role behind Thornton, who showed he can catch the football.
EGOTbear
The QB whisperer? You've got to be kidding me with that s***. NFL would not agree with that
xiledinok
EGOTbear said:

The QB whisperer? You've got to be kidding me with that s***. NFL would not agree with th
The Jack Mule whisperer? I would like to see that offense tried in the NFL. A team wouldn't survive with 9 plays against NFL talent. You would need 5 quarterbacks.
boognish_bear
Looks like having surgery last off season on his ACL did not slow him down

Baylor3216
Is platt playing football for
Baylor next year?
boognish_bear
Baylor3216 said:

Is platt playing football for
Baylor next year?

hodedofome
Let's make this a year to remember Chris. I'm thinking how Tevin Reese showed up his senior year and played lights out (until he got hurt).
ScottS
Jorkel said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

He was looking really good when he had Zach Smith throwing deep bullets. Brewer is a different type of QB which doesn't play as well to Platt's strength.

If he's got a really strong arm QB he can get behind the defense at least once or twice a game which is enough to make him valuable.

Throwing the deep ball is not about arm strength. It's about timing and touch. Nick Florence may have thrown the best deep ball of any Briles QB, and he had by far the weakest arm.

The funny thing about Charlie's deep misses this year is they were almost always long. That's just something he's got to get better at. He can and I predict he will.

Roberts balls were like a gift falling from the heavens.

Lets keep the talk on football.
BUbackerinET
BUGWBBear said:

Timbear said:

Platt's a nice guy, but we have better receivers who need to play.

There are defensive lineman who have better hands than Platt does.

Chicken sh** post, even if true - learn a little diplomacy...
historian

And some people think Chris Platt cannot play WR well!

He literally is a track star (see some of the posts above). And he has made plenty of great plays at Baylor over the past few years. Yes, last year was not his best. Recovering from ACL surgery can take time and he was overshadowed somewhat by Jalen Hurd.
Jorkel
I think Platt will be useful this season but I don't think he is better than the pass catchers listed below. Maybe he could return kickoffs and punts. He just hasn't had consistent hands the 5 years he has already been here but i hope he goes off proves me wrong.

Thornton
Mims
Fleeks
Ebner
Holmes

boognish_bear
Jorkel said:

I think Platt will be useful this season but I don't think he is better than the pass catchers listed below. Maybe he could return kickoffs and punts. He just hasn't had consistent hands the 5 years he has already been here but i hope he goes off proves me wrong.

Thornton
Mims
Fleeks
Ebner
Holmes

This is a good problem to have....man we are stacked there
historian
WRU
Reg Cross
gobears20 said:

With this redshirt rule is there a chance he stays? He had challenges at the beginning of the year but late in the year he looked like he was getting back to normal

I agree. He didn't get the number of targets he probably should of either last season. His speed and experience also cause defenses to have to game plan for him whenever he's on the field whether he's getting the ball or not, he's a asset to Baylors passing game for sure. I'm sure the team and coaches would be happy to have him back one more season.
Wichitabear
Like a gift falling from heaven. I like it. lol
historian
I cannot imagine why anyone would doubt he is returning. He had to apply for a special waiver from NCAA for a 6th year at Baylor. Thankfully, it was granted.

I think his numbers were down last year because he was still recovering from the torn ACL in 2017 (during the OU game, if I recall). He may have also had some confidence issues reducing his effectiveness. Most important, in 2018 Hurd, Mims & others were getting a lot of balls thrown there way so he had competition. Mims numbers were down also, I believe, because of Hurd.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
YoakDaddy
historian said:

I cannot imagine why anyone would doubt he is returning. He had to apply for a special waiver from NCAA for a 6th year at Baylor. Thankfully, it was granted.

I think his numbers were down last year because he was still recovering from the torn ACL in 2017 (during the OU game, if I recall). He may have also had some confidence issues reducing his effectiveness. Most important, in 2018 Hurd, Mims & others were getting a lot of balls thrown there way so he had competition. Mims numbers were down also, I believe, because of Hurd.

We're gonna really miss Hurd this season in those short yardage situations.
dave714
I'm not overly excited about Platt staying. He did absolutely nothing last year !!!.
historian
dave714 said:

I'm not overly excited about Platt staying. He did absolutely nothing last year !!!.
Even if that were accurate, what he did in 2016-17 more than makes up for it.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
gold rewards
Can't imagine Platt was satisfied with last year if he's the competitor I think he is. I'm looking forward to seeing him come back strong and play a major role. If he makes an impact early, you know the defenses are going to have to plan around him because of his speed. With defenses having to account for both he and Mims, the #3 receiver may have the best year.
hodedofome
Let's not forget we have Atkinson playing this year as well. It's about time for him to step it up. One of the last of the Briles recruits like Mims.

I'm still pulling for Platt to have a Tevin Reese 2013 year as a senior, but without the injury.
Jacques Strap
I hope he has a fantastic year.
REvansBU71
Platt is a good receiver relative to some other good programs. At BU, we're used to excellence.

Platt is fast, but has problems catching the ball, many at critical times in the game.
historian
Jacques Strap said:

I hope he has a fantastic year.
Platt was given an extraordinary break when the NCAA granted him another year of eligibility. He knows this is his last chance to shine. He has demonstrated elite capabilities in the past but not so much in 2018. This should motivate him to give it his all and be his best. This could be the year that he really shows everyone what he can do.

I would not mind at all if Platt & Mims had a competition to see who could have the most yards, receptions, & TDs this year. It would be wonderful for them and for Baylor if they each had 1000 yards in 2019. They both are certainly capable. Maybe they should also compete for Belitnikoff recognition.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.