Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Way Too Early: USA Today calls Baylor a top 25 team heading into 2019

January 8, 2019

We are less than 24 hours removed from the conclusion of the 2018 College Football Season and the first and way too early rankings for the 2019 season are already being released. On Tuesday morning, USA Today’s Paul Myerberg released his first top 25

In total, four Big 12 teams were listed in his release, including No. 4 Oklahoma and No. 5 Texas. Iowa State also made an appearance at No. 17 despite losing key playmakers David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler from the offensive side of the ball.

The most surprising team on the list, however, was Baylor. Ahead of the likes of TCU, Oklahoma State and West Virginia, Baylor was the final team listed in the poll at No. 25. 

25. Baylor

Baylor's chances hinge on whether coach Matt Rhule returns in 2019, as he could be a contender for NFL openings. But the program's trajectory — from one win in 2017 to seven this past year — says a big step forward is in the offing.

Baylor will return quarterback Charlie Brewer, the majority of their offensive line, their top three rushers, and a large chunk of their defensive unit.

In addition, the Bears will welcome a total of nine mid-year prospects including top junior college prospects Blake Bedier‍ and Niadre Zouzoua‍ on the offensive and defensive line. 

Full List

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Georgia

4. Oklahoma

5. Texas

6. Ohio State

7. Michigan

8. LSU

9. Washington

10. Texas A&M

11. Oregon

12. Central Florida

13. Notre Dame

14. Florida

15. Southern California

16. Iowa

17. Iowa State

18. Stanford

19. Penn State

20. Army

21. Nebraska

22. Syracuse

23. Wisconsin

24. Boise State

25. Baylor

Tags: Football, Baylor, 2019
Discussion from...

Way Too Early: USA Today calls Baylor a top 25 team heading into 2019

13,722 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PartyBear
Brownbw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really. I am not betting on it.
osogreen
Why not?

With our cupcake OOC and a favorable home schedule, I would think two additional wins might get us into the Top 25.
Born_A_Bear
Missing - TCU, West Virginia, OSU, K State and KU.

BUmoneymaker
If rhule goes were out. If he stays its a toss up pre season, but by week 3 we will be in top 25.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
historian
Born_A_Bear said:

Missing - TCU, West Virginia, OSU, K State and KU.

Add Tech to that list.

Great news for Baylor but it's ridiculously too early. As much as I am happy to see more good news, I've learned over the years that preseason polls mean nothing. Because of our weak schedule, though, we have a chance of starting 5-0 or 6-0. That will h help a lot in October.
Krieg
I'm not sure any poll that's putting Alabama over Clemson after that epic blowout has any credibility, but I'll take it anyway I guess.
MilliVanilli
Barring serious injuries (and not losing Rhule), this team should at least be going to the Alamo Bowl next year.
historian
Krieg said:

I'm not sure any poll that's putting Alabama over Clemson after that epic blowout has any credibility, but I'll take it anyway I guess.
Good point. I am so sick of the automatic assumption that Bama is best. Unfortunately, they often are but they must earn it every year. In my mind they did not do that in 2017 and certainly not in 2019.
BylrFan
Depends if we lose Rhule or not.
fubar
Krieg said:

It's not really even a "poll," it's just one dude's thoughts.

But even then I'd like being in anybody's Top 25.
coldhardtruth
While I tend to always lean towards the positive, this "article" is one of the reasons that the college football off-season is so lame.

Could next year's Baylor team end up in the top 25 at some point during the season? Absolutely and I expect we will. Should we be put in the preseason top 25? No.

While 7 wins last year was impressive, more growth and progress is needed before anyone should consider us a top 25 program.
Jacques Strap
If BU it in the final top 25 after the bowl games next year that would be an impressive feat and mean we played well and had good luck with injuries. Hope it happens.
historian
If Baylor manages to have 8-9 wins, as many are predicting, then we should be in the top 25--especially if we get the bowl win. If we somehow manage to get 10 wins, as Rhule did in his third year at Temple, then we certainly should be top 25, probably top 10. But it is way too early for any serious rankings. All the preseason rankings will be basically worthless--even those in August. They exist to keep us football junkies satisfied in the offseason. The NFL draft, Spring game, & media days also fulfill the same purpose. They help but it's not enough.
BearlyBeloved
I'm glad USA Today ran this, but I also recognize that such way-too-early stories are just click-bait for now.

However, things like this CAN influence those who vote in the polls once the season kicks off. They have lots of uncertainties so a herd mentality can take over. They will be unsure of many votes so they sometimes simply regurgitate what others have said.

BUbearinARK
I'd totally be ok with the "others getting votes"
Asheville Bear
Let's make it a reality!
PartyBear
I think the team that played in the bowl game is a top 25 team and that was the team coming into its own. I think that was actually the first game of the new era.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.