Story Poster
Photo by © Kevin Jairaj-USAToday
Baylor Football

Baylor AD Mack Rhoades talks NFL's interest in Matt Rhule

January 8, 2019

David Smoak spoke with Baylor's athletic director Mack Rhoades on "You Make the Call" on Tuesday about the NFL's interest in head coach Matt Rhule. For a written recap of the interview, click here to read on SicEm365 Premium.

Discussion from...

Baylor AD Mack Rhoades talks NFL's interest in Matt Rhule

14,078 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Robert Wilson
vg1984
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Rhule is gone after hearing this interview. Rhoades voice when he asked what his gut feeling was said it all.
BUmoneymaker
How can I listen. Going to krzi website just lists a bunch of rows of text with no audio playback

Edit. Nm i figured it out

Wow doesnt sound confident he is staying. Smoak did am awesome job drilling with questions. Mack admitting this has been hard 2 yrs for CMR, despite this being a great gig.

Hey at least we were reminded we can always count on Kims durability with those lady bears!

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
Lil Sebastian
As much as I respect Rhule and what he has done for the program so far, I would lose a lot of respect if he chose to leave at this point. People say you can't blame him for leaving for the NFL, but yes you definitely can. He's making at least $4.5 million a year and he made a commitment to this fan base and university. If he leaves, his words are empty and his character is more shady than I thought, leaving his fan base with few good candidates left. I don't envision him leaving, but it won't be pretty if he does. If he leaves Baylor's next season is 6 wins at the very best.
EdNashville
it would be incredibly disheartening if Ruhle left Baylor and somewhat disingenuous of him to do so after this recruiting season. College coaching success does not always translate into NFL coaching success. just ask Steve Spurrier
4th and Inches
vg1984 said:

I think Rhule is gone after hearing this interview. Rhoades voice when he asked what his gut feeling was said it all.
He was definitely more precise with his answer about what to do if Coach Rhule leaves versus all the other questions. Only positive is the fact that the Jets have not shut down interviews.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Reverend
Is he sedated?
Oso Pardo
Well, CMR may be gone...or he may not. I hope he stays (even though I do get frustrated at his style of football), but I wish him the best if he goes. I want BU to win and think he gives us the best chance of that at this time with the way the team is trending. If he goes then I'll try to get behind the next coach and hope for a quick transition. Other than that there's nothing else to do. I just hope that we don't have players deflect if he leaves since it's easier to transfer now.
DanaDane
He gone.
Timbear
If Rhule leaves now, he's just another lying con man who uses Christianity to get what he wants.
Lil Sebastian
Timbear said:

If Rhule leaves now, he's just another lying con man who uses Christianity to get what he wants.

Agreed, and I hate that I agree. You can't argue with any decision when Jesus calls you to do it.. he came here because he felt called. Money and comfort would be the only thing calling him to NY
Stan Mikita
Timbear said:

Reverend
Unless his heart and mind change, he will be gone when he gets a "better" offer. It is inevitable, and Baylor will have to live with it and everyone, including our enemies, know it. The sooner it happens probably the better.
Lil Sebastian
I hate all of these rumors for the players and commits. I hope they are more informed than we are of what's coming.
Reverend
We need a great coach who decides it's his life mission to be here. That's catching lightning in a bottle.
Grizz Air
After listening to this and Rhule's twitter interview, i am not really reassured about Jersey's "professional opportunities."
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Grizz Air
Lil Sebastian said:

Timbear said:

Agreed, and I hate that I agree. You can't argue with any decision when Jesus calls you to do it.. he came here because he felt called. Money and comfort would be the only thing calling him to NY

The dude has always been drawn back to Jersey like a fly to sh ! t. It will not be long before he goes back there. If its not this year, it will come soon enough. the writing is on the wall.
PartyBear
Lil Sebastian said:

As much as I respect Rhule and what he has done for the program so far, I would lose a lot of respect if he chose to leave at this point. People say you can't blame him for leaving for the NFL, but yes you definitely can. He's making at least $4.5 million a year and he made a commitment to this fan base and university. If he leaves, his words are empty and his character is more shady than I thought, leaving his fan base with few good candidates left. I don't envision him leaving, but it won't be pretty if he does. If he leaves Baylor's next season is 6 wins at the very best.

I disagree with only your last sentence. We have the talent to win 9 or perhaps 10. A good coach will win a lot of games right off the bat and hence keep the recruiting going. I think things will be harder now if Rhule is here next season. A lot of feelings out there now about Rhule obviously not wanting to be here.
Krieg
So, basically he's really wanting to leave but doesn't have an offer yet from the Jets or some other NFL team.
Lil Sebastian
PartyBear said:

Lil Sebastian said:

I disagree with only your last sentence. We have the talent to win 9 or perhaps 10. A good coach will win a lot of games right off the bat and hence keep the recruiting going. I think things will be harder now if Rhule is here next season. A lot of feelings out there now about Rhule obviously not wanting to be here.

I thought we would win 7-8 games in Rhule's first year. Although we undoubtedly have a much deeper roster and more developed team at this point, learning an entirely new offensive/defensive scheme is a disastrous enough scenario for me to keep my expectations low. Hope this take is either wrong in the future or inapplicable due to Rhule staying.
Krieg
Lil Sebastian said:

PartyBear said:

Lil Sebastian said:

I thought we would win 7-8 games in Rhule's first year. Although we undoubtedly have a much deeper roster and more developed team at this point, learning an entirely new offensive/defensive scheme is a disastrous enough scenario for me to keep my expectations low. Hope this take is either wrong in the future or inapplicable due to Rhule staying.

Most coaches roll everything in over time. The reason it was so bad was because this staff ran everything from day 1 and the players didn't know it yet.
Krieg
Don't get me wrong, it should be a step back in the near term, but that's off next year's expectations not this year's results. Think next year should be 9 wins? Now it's 6-7 with a new staff.

But let's be real here, he wants to leave. He tried last season, he's trying now. I'd rather lose him now than have what amounts to a coach that doesn't want to be here anymore.
Timbear
What did Rhoades and the BOR really think was going to happen? They bring a guy in from a foreign country football and culture-wise, from cold weather to hot. Rhule uproots his family from their extended family and friends and everything his children have ever known. This is Rhoades mistake. I can't blame Rhule for accepting the money, but he's been trying to leave almost since he got here.
parkiebear
EdNashville said:

it would be incredibly disheartening if Ruhle left Baylor and somewhat disingenuous of him to do so after this recruiting season. College coaching success does not always translate into NFL coaching success. just ask Steve Spurrier

And Lou Holtz & Nick Saban et al...
Johnny Bear
parkiebear said:

EdNashville said:

And Lou Holtz & Nick Saban et al...
.....and Chip Kelly........
BUmoneymaker
Writing on the wall since last season when colts contacted him. He isnt a tx guy and needs to go back to jersey. His family is miserable here even $4MM a year doesnt change that. Also he is too smart for the b12/college ball and has a briliant nfl mind. Probably didnt realize he was fighting a losing battle since tx high school coaches dont prepare kids for anything but tempo and speed. Limited technicals/sophistication in reads and routes. And he has to start over every few years with these kiddos as they grad. It takes a toll I imagine. Cant blame him. Oh well

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
BearPa
Rhule isn't going anywhere, although the decision is probably not his to make. Jets won't be hiring him.
BearPa
longtimebear
BearPa said:

Rhule isn't going anywhere, although the decision is probably not his to make. Jets won't be hiring him.
I don't get to hear Rhoades answer media questions often but when I do it's the same political song and dance.
He uses a hundred plus words to say absolutely nothing. Therefore, I'm not reading anymore into this than usual.
CMR may be listening but don't believe he's going anywhere.
Grizz Air
This does not look good: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2019/1/9/18175771/it-sounds-like-mike-mccarth-jets-next-head-coach-unless-its-adam-gase-or-matt-rhule-or-somebody-else
Grizz Air
What about all that BS of toughness, not quitting, "trusting the process," etc???
Robert Wilson
BUmoneymaker said:

Writing on the wall since last season when colts contacted him. He isnt a tx guy and needs to go back to jersey. His family is miserable here even $4MM a year doesnt change that. Also he is too smart for the b12/college ball and has a briliant nfl mind. Probably didnt realize he was fighting a losing battle since tx high school coaches dont prepare kids for anything but tempo and speed. Limited technicals/sophistication in reads and routes. And he has to start over every few years with these kiddos as they grad. It takes a toll I imagine. Cant blame him. Oh well
Wow, that is one terrible post. Congrats.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.