Football
Sponsored by

Iowa State's Matt Campbell: "Yeah, but they didn't shoot anybody!"

4,898 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sicem1313
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/02/07/isheem-young-matt-campbell-iowa-state-football-national-signing-day-college-football-penn-state/2800088002/
PartyBear
This was not very smart. I don't see why anyone would do this post Baylor and Baylor never signed anyone with anything serious in his criminal history. If this guy gets into any trouble there, the Campbell era will have to end even if things are going great otherwise.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ISU Fulmer Cup

Appears to be taking some chances...
EasyE
Young was Yusuf Terry's former teammate.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
EasyE said:

Young was Yusuf Terry's former teammate.
and Tykee Smith's teammate.

They both avoided robbing a Wawa with a gun.
drahthaar
Looks like the robbed two home also. This is his third chance. Campbell lost his cred with me over this one. Kid has no upright moral character.
Stan Mikita
We play them in Waco this year.
Malbec
witchmo said:

Looks like the robbed two home also. This is his third chance. Campbell lost his cred with me over this one. Kid has no upright moral character.
Quote:

"prosecutors said Young was coerced into committing the robbery with two other people one of whom was the brother"

"Young was placed in the Glen Mills Alternative Education for Disruptive Youth Program, where he not only finished his high school degree but received counseling. He was planning to be a spring enrollee at West Virginia, until Campbell hired Matt Caponi to coach the Cyclones' secondary. All the adult charges were withdrawn."

Young's attorney, Richard Klineburger III, told PennLive.com. "It's not going to be a clear path. He's going to have to avoid some tackles, and he's going to have to struggle a little bit, but if there's a young man that I believe can complete this goal, it's Mr. Young."
So, the prosecutors say he was coerced by his older brother. His attorney says if anyone can make it, it's this guy. He has no adult charges against him, and he graduated high school while being administered counseling; and you say he "has no moral upright character." Wow, heartless for sure.
drahthaar
Malbec said:

witchmo said:

Quote:

"prosecutors said Young was coerced into committing the robbery with two other people one of whom was the brother"

"Young was placed in the Glen Mills Alternative Education for Disruptive Youth Program, where he not only finished his high school degree but received counseling. He was planning to be a spring enrollee at West Virginia, until Campbell hired Matt Caponi to coach the Cyclones' secondary. All the adult charges were withdrawn."

Young's attorney, Richard Klineburger III, told PennLive.com. "It's not going to be a clear path. He's going to have to avoid some tackles, and he's going to have to struggle a little bit, but if there's a young man that I believe can complete this goal, it's Mr. Young."
So, the prosecutors say he was coerced by his older brother. His attorney says if anyone can make it, it's this guy. He has no adult charges against him, and he graduated high school while being administered counseling; and you say he "has no moral upright character." Wow, heartless for sure.

You are what you do.
If someone coerced you to do something wrong, you have no moral character.
ZatchZell
witchmo said:

Malbec said:

witchmo said:

Quote:

You are what you do.

This is one of the most idiotic things i have ever read on here. It's hilarious you think the gun totting adults in this situation gave this child a chance to say no.
Mr. Sippi
witchmo said:

No. It was Johnnie Lang, the other player that Campbell took, that did the home burglaries.
Baylor grad, 'Bama dad
Heisman25g
ZatchZell said:

witchmo said:

Malbec said:

witchmo said:

Quote:

You are what you do.

This is one of the most idiotic things i have ever read on here. It's hilarious you think the gun totting adults in this situation gave this child a chance to say no.

I don't think it's that idiotic. I agree. You are what you do. Not really sure how you argue the other way to be honest.

Not what they say, not what they think, but what they do. I welcome all to judge me by my actions.
PartyBear
Whatever the facts of the robbery are, the fact remains Campbell better hope this kid is perfection at school there. I'm not talking about on the field either.

If he so much as gets the police called on him by a girlfriend or anyone else he so much as grabs or shoves into wall, they are going to have to fire Campbell.

I understand about second chances but if a kid, and all kids are likely going to blow second chances in some way or another, blows his second chance. He blows things up for Campbell as well. Campbell is taking a ridiculous gamble here.
blackie
I don't know that they might fire Campbell if something happens. Things like this didn't get Stoops fired (at least not publicly). Is ISU much different? (rhetorical question). Of course signing this type of person is standard operating procedure in the SEC.

From the article:
"Second chances for offenses that do not include physical harm are usually OK"

I guess terrorizing someone when a weapon pointed at them under any circumstances has no effect on the victim. What a callous statement to be made by a "journalist".

I hope the kid stays out of trouble, but we have example after example in college athletics where second chances after such an extreme crime during high school just don't work out, they are just insights as to what will happen later. You can't keep the kid under leash 24/7. If no problems occur, it will be the exception, not the rule.
Mothra
I used to like Campbell, but after this year's game, when his players behaved like *****s and he wouldn't even look CMR in the eye when he shook his hand after the game, I wish nothing but failure on the guy. I hope we beat them soundly in Waco.
Grizz Air
I believe in 2nd chances and I dont mind this. However, if he ever makes a dime in life, especially in the NFL, he should repay twice the $14k he stole or tried to steal and also pay for all psychological damages he caused to the robbery victims. Thats what i would do if i were in charge of his justice. And of course. if he screws up again, a much harsher sentence than for a first time offender.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Illinois Bear2
This is rich for ISU. They call us rape u all the time.
sicem1313
So tired of hearing coaches go on and on about giving second chances. Like Cambell is some kind of saint and really cares about helping this kid get his life on track. He's good at football and the other schools pulled his offer. If he was that into second chances why didn't he offer the other two that robbed the store full scholarships as well?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.