Football
Sponsored by

Despite NFL talk, Matt Rhule says he isn't 'chasing something else' and wants to take

6,860 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boognish_bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
ColomboLQ
I find it comical that the article tried to make it seem like Rhule rejected the Jets coaching job.

As for the rest, as in all relationships in life, what you do matters WAAAAAAY more than what you say.
Grizz Air
I agree that actions speak louder than words
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Wineguy89
ColomboLQ said:

I find it comical that the article tried to make it seem like Rhule rejected the Jets coaching job.

As for the rest, as in all relationships in life, what you do matters WAAAAAAY more than what you say.

You do realize that if the Jets has allowed him to pick his own staff he was, in all likelihood, very much gone. The Jets would not budge on that (and in fact hired a lot of Gase's staff) and the two sides decided it was not a fit at that point.
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
BEAR 45
Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

You do realize that if the Jets has allowed him to pick his own staff he was, in all likelihood, very much gone. The Jets would not budge on that (and in fact hired a lot of Gase's staff) and the two sides decided it was not a fit at that point.

And you know this is how it went, exactly how ? Let's see, you are sold on Matt as your head coach, because he is the most capable guy, and yet you don't have enough faith in him to let him pick his staff, sounds logical to me !
Wineguy89
BEAR 45 said:

Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

And you know this is how it went, exactly how ? Let's see, you are sold on Matt as your head coach, because he is the most capable guy, and yet you don't have enough faith in him to let him pick his staff, sounds logical to me !

How about because I went to HS with Mike Maccagnan, the Jets GM. No need to put words in my mouth about Rhule or anything else. Just trying to share a little insight into what really happened since there is a ton of speculation around about it. And as for back up, look at Gase's staff, the Jets hired most of it for him.
Richard Reese
11 receptions/80 yards
ZERO fumbles

ColomboLQ
Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

I do realize that you cannot, in fact, reject something that was never offered to you.
Wineguy89
ColomboLQ said:

Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

I do realize that you cannot, in fact, reject something that was never offered to you.

I'd agree and say that "pulled his name out" is/was a much better way of phrasing what happened. Jet's were done at that point to. Mutual parting of the ways "pre merger" lol.
Richard Reese
11 receptions/80 yards
ZERO fumbles

BEAR 45
Wineguy89 said:

BEAR 45 said:

Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

How about because I went to HS with Mike Maccagnan, the Jets GM. No need to put words in my mouth about Rhule or anything else. Just trying to share a little insight into what really happened since there is a ton of speculation around about it. And as for back up, look at Gase's staff, the Jets hired most of it for him.

Glad he consults about Jets business decisions with his high school buddies and picks the staff for is HEAD COACH. That probably explains why it has been 50 years since their last Superbowl. That's what Kraft does as well I presume ?
Doc Holliday
Well then I fully expect him NOT to interview with anyone for the next several years.

And could he make it more obvious that his actions hurt his recruiting?
BEAR 45
BEAR 45 said:

Wineguy89 said:

BEAR 45 said:

Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

Glad he consults about Jets business decisions with his high school buddies and picks the staff for is HEAD COACH. That probably explains why it has been 50 years since their last Superbowl. That's what Kraft does as well I presume ?

I almost forgot, please ask your HS bud how the Jets ended up with at least 5 of Gase's Miami staff, including his OC. I guess the Jets also hired Gase's father in law as well, Gase should be thankful.
Wineguy89
BEAR 45 said:

BEAR 45 said:

Wineguy89 said:

BEAR 45 said:

Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

I almost forgot, please ask your HS bud how the Jets ended up with at least 5 of Gase's Miami staff, including his OC. I guess the Jets also hired Gase's father in law as well, Gase should be thankful.

Wow, aren't you impressively cynical?? Said no one ever.

Did I ever say He consulted me about anything? No I did not. No wonder people stay off this hate pool. Someone tries to pass along an interesting tid bit and gets ripped by some old fart he's never met, nor who knows anything about the poster. Why? I suppose it makes their internet pants feel bigger?!? Believe what you want. Affects me zero.

And do some research on Gase's WHOLE staff, then get back to us. Stop acting like a know it all about things you obviously do NOT know ALL about. Unreal.
Richard Reese
11 receptions/80 yards
ZERO fumbles

BEAR 45
So did your HS bud tell you the whole story or not ? You inferred that he had . I have looked at the Staff, have you ?? Most of the staff is from Gase's Miami staff or has connections going back years to Gase's previous other NFL jobs. Acting like Gase had nothing much to say about his staff, from looking at facts, is just plain ignorant.
Wineguy89
Stop putting words in my mouth. I NEVER said Gase didn't have input on his staff. The Jets obviously like his offensive staff. They hired them. Think Gase picked his Defensive staff?? I don't.

The Jets had concens about CMR bringing/ putting together an entire staff they would approve of/bless. Especially offensively. Take that for what you want.
Richard Reese
11 receptions/80 yards
ZERO fumbles

BEAR 45
Wineguy89 said:

Stop putting words in my mouth. I NEVER said Gase didn't have input on his staff. The Jets obviously like his offensive staff. They hired them. Think Gase picked his Defensive staff?? I don't.

The Jets had concens about CMR bringing/ putting together an entire staff they would approve of/bless. Especially offensively. Take that for what you want.

As an Old Fart, I am just checking my memory, did I write " As for backup, look at Gase's staff, the Jets hired most of it for him " ? No, I think that was your statement. Do I think Gase picked his own Defensive Staff ? well, Frank Bush [ Miami ] Andre Carter [ Miami ] Joe Vitt [ Miami ] represents 1/2 of the staff that came with him from Miami, so Yes I do.
bear2be2
Wineguy89 said:

Thanks for the info, Wineguy. Ignore the haters here.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

Well then I fully expect him NOT to interview with anyone for the next several years.

He just hauled in his third consecutive top-40 class off a major scandal? How exactly was his recruiting hurt by his actions?
Russell Gym
"In the Big 12 alone, only TCU's Gary Patterson and Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy have been at their schools longer than three seasons."

Interesting.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

He just hauled in his third consecutive top-40 class off a major scandal? How exactly was his recruiting hurt by his actions?
How?

Ok. You are a recruit. You see news that CMR was interested in the Jets job. It's confirmed he had an interview. Reports say he and the Jets couldn't agree on staff selection. You get the impression that CMR might not be at Baylor for the next 4 years. You don't want any part of a fallout at some point. You look elsewhere.

Now I'm not saying CMR isn't committed, just saying him and the media gave that impression. So next season...no interviews. That's it.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How?

Ok. You are a recruit. You see news that CMR was interested in the Jets job. It's confirmed he had an interview. Reports say he and the Jets couldn't agree on staff selection. You get the impression that CMR might not be at Baylor for the next 4 years. You don't want any part of a fallout at some point. You look elsewhere.

Now I'm not saying CMR isn't committed, just saying him and the media gave that impression. So next season...no interviews. That's it.
It wasn't hurt per recruits we interview.
Doc Holliday
Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How?

Glad to hear it. Doesn't always work out like that.

Hoping he completes his contract! He's winning and winning coaches are highly sought after.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Doc Holliday said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How?

Hoping he completes his contract! He's winning and winning coaches are highly sought after.
He won't complete this current contract before it is extended, imo.
Doc Holliday
Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How?

I think 4 years. That's an entire freshman through senior transition which is very respectable. Pretty average for the Big12 at this point.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Doc Holliday said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How?

I think 4 years. That's an entire freshman through senior transition which is very respectable. Pretty average for the Big12 at this point.

End of year three or during year four since he signed a 7 year deal.
Doc Holliday
Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How?

End of year three or during year four since he signed a 7 year deal.
End of year 4. Last BU coaching season 2020.
BUbearinARK
Perception is reality to people. Silly facts and truths and direct evidence need not cloud someone's precious preconception and narrative.

They sure don't get in the way of disregarding them and posting anyway! Ignore Brian (and thus direct recruit sources), Mr Compton, and even Wine and keep the fun opinions coming!
Timbear
Rhule is beginning to win and should go at least 8-4 this year, but he's lost 17 games in 2 years, so to say he's winning is a bit premature.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BEAR 45 said:

Wineguy89 said:

ColomboLQ said:

We are talking about the Jets here. Not the finest run organization.
The Banterer
I'm not sure that this whole Jets deal is as bad for Rhule @ Baylor as it looks.

1. The Jets are flakey. There's no strong reason to believe Rhule has meaningful NFL interest from other FOs.
2. It seems pretty clear that Rhule wants to be the boss at any HC job he takes. I'm not sure he gets that from any NFL franchise unless he at least wins a Big 12 title here, probably at least a CFP appearance. If that happens and he leaves, we should have many options to replace him.
3. If the NFL is a stretch for Rhule, I'm not sure we need to worry about anyone except Penn State. Given how well Franklin is doing and how relatively young he is, that job isn't opening up for a long time.

It's almost shocking after the 90s and most of the 2000s, but Baylor is a legitimately good job right now. Rhule salvaged our recruiting momentum, which means that almost every other CFB job would bring added pressure and little more.

If Rhule leaves, which I don't think is happening anytime soon, he'll almost certainly leave us in great shape. If it happens, we just have to be ready to nail a 3rd straight hire.
PartyBear
I really didnt think many NFL HCs get to name everyone on their staff all on his own like college coaches do unless he is Belichik or at that level. Did Pete Carroll get to name everyone on his staff at Seattle when he came right out of USC with all the success he had there? If it isnt customary for most NFL HCs to be making all of their own calls, Rhule may be a little ridiculous thinking he is at a level where he should have as much control over an NFL team as he does over the Baylor program.
BUbearinARK
PartyBear said:

I really didnt think many NFL HCs get to name everyone on their staff all on his own like college coaches do unless he is Belichik or at that level. Did Pete Carroll get to name everyone on his staff at Seattle when he came right out of USC with all the success he had there? If it isnt customary for most NFL HCs to be making all of their own calls, Rhule may be a little ridiculous thinking he is at a level where he should have as much control over an NFL team as he does over the Baylor program.
I realize it is probably fruitless to respond. Your spin to call rhule ridiculous is probably because you're looking for a way to call Rhule ridiculous or put him in a bad light regardless of what he does, but I may be wrong. So here goes.

I'm sure Rhule is a high functioning individual and knows exactly how NFL teams are run and controlled. When asked the question "what would it take to hire you" he may have swung for the fences. I've certainly done this in 'negotiations' where I loved what I was doing or had no real interest in changing. I knew threy'd say no, but might as well give em the parameters of what it would take. And if they said yes...now we're talking. It's also a tell to the other party what the true interest level is.
PartyBear
Thank you but that was not exactly my question. I understood what Rhule's position was. My question was essentially isn't it rare for an NFL HC to make all the calls all on his own as to who his staff is?
Sailor Bear
Timbear said:

Rhule is beginning to win and should go at least 8-4 this year, but he's lost 17 games in 2 years, so to say he's winning is a bit premature.

You're probably the only person in America that would call him a loser if we go 10-2 next year. I mean, that's 19 losses in 3 years.
Timbear
Hey Bearish, I'm for Rhule. I'm living in the moment, he's here for 2019 and I believe he'll be highly motivated this year and do a good to great job. The Bears could go 8-4 to even 10-2, but he's not "winning" until he has a winning record in the regular season.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Timbear said:

Hey Bearish, I'm for Rhule. I'm living in the moment, he's here for 2019 and I believe he'll be highly motivated this year and do a good to great job. The Bears could go 8-4 to even 10-2, but he's not "winning" until he has a winning record in the regular season.
So... he only has a winning season during bowl season?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.