Football
Sponsored by

Despite NFL talk, Matt Rhule says he isn't 'chasing something else' and wants to take

6,858 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boognish_bear
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

Timbear said:

Hey Bearish, I'm for Rhule. I'm living in the moment, he's here for 2019 and I believe he'll be highly motivated this year and do a good to great job. The Bears could go 8-4 to even 10-2, but he's not "winning" until he has a winning record in the regular season.
So... he only has a winning season during bowl season?

Undefeated, at that.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Russell Gym said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Timbear said:

Hey Bearish, I'm for Rhule. I'm living in the moment, he's here for 2019 and I believe he'll be highly motivated this year and do a good to great job. The Bears could go 8-4 to even 10-2, but he's not "winning" until he has a winning record in the regular season.
So... he only has a winning season during bowl season?

Undefeated, at that.

via GIPHY

ShooterTX
ColomboLQ said:

I find it comical that the article tried to make it seem like Rhule rejected the Jets coaching job.

As for the rest, as in all relationships in life, what you do matters WAAAAAAY more than what you say.

So CMR staying in Waco after 2 NFL teams publicly show interest, matters WAAAAAY more than all the rumors about him leaving.... got it!
ShooterTX
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Well then I fully expect him NOT to interview with anyone for the next several years.

And could he make it more obvious that his actions hurt his recruiting?
He just hauled in his third consecutive top-40 class off a major scandal? How exactly was his recruiting hurt by his actions?
How?

Ok. You are a recruit. You see news that CMR was interested in the Jets job. It's confirmed he had an interview. Reports say he and the Jets couldn't agree on staff selection. You get the impression that CMR might not be at Baylor for the next 4 years. You don't want any part of a fallout at some point. You look elsewhere.

Now I'm not saying CMR isn't committed, just saying him and the media gave that impression. So next season...no interviews. That's it.

You forgot the part where CMR contacted all the recruits to inform them of the Jets interview BEFORE it was publicly known. That info was backed up by the current players, the recruits and the recruits families. So, your example couldn't have happened.

In fact, the recruit we lost was because of a stupid online blogger who ruined a kids big signing day announcement. Then the recruit was fed a bunch of lies about the NCAA Investigation... not about CMR going to the NFL. Again, this has been confirmed by the family of the recruit.
ShooterTX
PartyBear said:

I really didnt think many NFL HCs get to name everyone on their staff all on his own like college coaches do unless he is Belichik or at that level. Did Pete Carroll get to name everyone on his staff at Seattle when he came right out of USC with all the success he had there? If it isnt customary for most NFL HCs to be making all of their own calls, Rhule may be a little ridiculous thinking he is at a level where he should have as much control over an NFL team as he does over the Baylor program.

If CMR isn't a liar... and I may be one of the few on here that believe he isn't... then he really likes the player development side of his job. He especially seems to like molding young recruits into solid men who will contribute to their community off the field. That whole side of his job will be non-existent in the NFL. (They have lawyers and fixers to deal with players off the field.) I wonder if Rhule is really prepared to leave that part of his life behind?

I totally agree that hiring his own staff seems to be a non-negotiable for Coach Rhule. Likewise, picking your own players would be tough to let go. No NFL coach has final say in who gets hired by the program, unless maybe they are a proven coach with multiple Superbowl wins.

I just can't see CMR leaving the control of a college HC, for the NFL. If he leaves Baylor, I think it would only be for a "better" P5 program. We all know that Penn State would be the most obvious draw. Our only advantage is that Baylor is totally fine with CMR moonlighting as a preacher... he's probably encouraged to do so at Baylor. I seriously doubt if his preaching would be tolerated at a public university on the east coast.

I think it is a 50/50 situation. There is just as much of a chance that CMR will retire from coaching at Baylor, as there is that he will leave for the NFL.
Maybe a 65/35 in favor of him leaving for Penn State someday. They would have to offer him the job, and they may not want his openly Christian "baggage".
Doc Holliday
ShooterTX said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Well then I fully expect him NOT to interview with anyone for the next several years.

And could he make it more obvious that his actions hurt his recruiting?
He just hauled in his third consecutive top-40 class off a major scandal? How exactly was his recruiting hurt by his actions?
How?

Ok. You are a recruit. You see news that CMR was interested in the Jets job. It's confirmed he had an interview. Reports say he and the Jets couldn't agree on staff selection. You get the impression that CMR might not be at Baylor for the next 4 years. You don't want any part of a fallout at some point. You look elsewhere.

Now I'm not saying CMR isn't committed, just saying him and the media gave that impression. So next season...no interviews. That's it.

You forgot the part where CMR contacted all the recruits to inform them of the Jets interview BEFORE it was publicly known. That info was backed up by the current players, the recruits and the recruits families. So, your example couldn't have happened.

In fact, the recruit we lost was because of a stupid online blogger who ruined a kids big signing day announcement. Then the recruit was fed a bunch of lies about the NCAA Investigation... not about CMR going to the NFL. Again, this has been confirmed by the family of the recruit.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wrong.

I guess I'll just have to hope CMR doesn't leave every season.
ColomboLQ
ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

I find it comical that the article tried to make it seem like Rhule rejected the Jets coaching job.

As for the rest, as in all relationships in life, what you do matters WAAAAAAY more than what you say.

So CMR staying in Waco after 2 NFL teams publicly show interest, matters WAAAAAY more than all the rumors about him leaving.... got it!
Russell Gym
"Coach stays."
Timbear
If you don't want to leave , you don't interview. Ask Matt Campbell. This"out of courtesy" reason is BS. Doesn't matter, though, rent-a-coach is here for 2019.
boognish_bear
Mosley speculates that CMR could be a target of Jags if that job opens up next year because of Coughlin connection

ShooterTX
ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

Oh right...

So the point was that CMRs words about him wanting to stay and finish the job, are far less important than the fact that he is actually staying at Baylor to finish the job.
So Rhule's actions of staying at Baylor are WAAAAAAAY more important than his words about staying at Baylor.... got it!
Guy Noir
ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

Oh right...

So the point was that CMRs words about him wanting to stay and finish the job, are far less important than the fact that he is actually staying at Baylor to finish the job.
So Rhule's actions of staying at Baylor are WAAAAAAAY more important than his words about staying at Baylor.... got it!
Matt Rhule can do whatever he wishes regarding his career, but what he says, and the fact he has been interviewing for NFL positions, still has a disconnect.
JXL
I like Rhule but the annual flirtation with the NFL gets old really quickly.
PartyBear
ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

Oh right...

You do understand if Rhule had been offered an NFL HC job after the 17 season or after last season, he would be an NFL HC today right. He hasn't turned down two NFL jobs waiting for the right one. But I you believe that, Rhule should offer you his beach front property in Woodway for a low price of 3 million.
boognish_bear
CMR's agent taking calls from the Knicks now

boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.