Football
Sponsored by

pac12 network struggling

3,326 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RegentCoverup
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/13/think-the-pac-12-networks-are-struggling-with-audience-and-revenue-the-reality-might-be-worse-than-you-imagined/?utm_content=tw-bangsports&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow

"With just 17.9 million subscribers (per Kagan), the Pac-12 Networks will have fewer subscribers in 2019 than The Pursuit Channel, The Sportsman Channel, Fox Deportes and Z Living, according to Nielsen cable coverage estimates from the fall."
Brian Ethridge
Staff

via GIPHY

Aliceinbubbleland
Stanford reduced the size of their stadium a decade or so ago. That was the trend. USC has been down for an extended period of time. Oregon and OSU are much smaller markets.

The bigger draws are USC and WU but even WU had been down for a while. UCLA never did connect with fans in the last few decades so it's no surprise the PAC 12 has dwindling fan support in favor of pro sports.

It's really sort of sad because I like the PAC12 formula for football. No non conference games after week 3. The SEC has gamed the system putting open dates and patsy's on the schedule throughout the season.

Nationally the time zone difference is a real hindrance for Pac 12.
bularry
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Stanford reduced the size of their stadium a decade or so ago. That was the trend. USC has been down for an extended period of time. Oregon and OSU are much smaller markets.

The bigger draws are USC and WU but even WU had been down for a while. UCLA never did connect with fans in the last few decades so it's no surprise the PAC 12 has dwindling fan support in favor of pro sports.

It's really sort of sad because I like the PAC12 formula for football. No non conference games after week 3. The SEC has gamed the system putting open dates and patsy's on the schedule throughout the season.

Time zone is a huge deal, I think. Plus west coast isn't "college sports crazed", in general.
MilliVanilli
bularry said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Time zone is a huge deal, I think. Plus west coast isn't "college sports crazed", in general.
West Coast is very transient, a huge portion of the population in metros such as LA, San Fran, Seattle, and even Portland are transplants from out of state, and their sports team allegiances lie eastward.
Baylor3216
bularry said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

And weed claims yet another victim
Brian Ethridge
Staff
If only there were two teams in a relatively conservative state in a different time zone from California
geewago
Perhaps the Pac12 network and the Longhorn network can merge and save each others hiney.
BaylorGrad&Dad
geewago, are you some kind of crazy? That's like mixing matter and anti-matter! Didn't you watch Star Trek? If you mix Pac12 with the Evil Cow Network they would both explode! Hey, wait a minute....at least in the case of the Evil Cow Network, that would be a GREAT thing!
PacificBear
Brian Ethridge said:

If only there were two teams in a relatively conservative state in a different time zone from California

AZ is in PST March-November. They don't "fall back" in November.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
PacificBear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Just in time for basketball season
ShooterTX
PacificBear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Somehow, I think we could survive the crazy AZ time zone shenanigans. I'm almost positive that the AZ schools would be happy to deal with it, if it meant improved viewership and better national kickoff times. PAC12 after dark is a joke. Who really wants to watch a football game on TV at midnight on a Saturday?

I would be kinda funny for a school to go from 11PM CST kickoffs to 11AM CST kickoffs the next season. Crazy!
GRIZZLY79ER
ShooterTX said:

PacificBear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Somehow, I think we could survive the crazy AZ time zone shenanigans. I'm almost positive that the AZ schools would be happy to deal with it, if it meant improved viewership and better national kickoff times. PAC12 after dark is a joke. Who really wants to watch a football game on TV at midnight on a Saturday?

I would be kinda funny for a school to go from 11PM CST kickoffs to 11AM CST kickoffs the next season. Crazy!

Dont forget an immediate jump start to recruiting...a B12 membership combined with access to SoCal makes for expanded exposure and best of both worlds.
RegentCoverup
I'd love to pour gas on this total dumpster fire but the truth is the ONLY thing that's worked out for us is the price contract in the Big12. Were mostly content, but we put up some bull*****

Bowlsby doesn't work for us, that's for sure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.