Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Jalen Hurd knows he's a day-one contributor in the NFL

March 4, 2019

Jalen Hurd is a projected middle-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft, which gives Baylor fans a reason to keep an eye on the former Bear over the next few weeks.

With the draft closing in, Hurd said that he has “dreamed about it [his] entire life.” 

Colt Barber
Hurd measured at 6-foot-4 and ¾ inches while weighing in at 226 pounds at the NFL Combine.

“I've worked just as hard or harder than anyone in the league right now,” Hurd said. “I have all the tangibles to do it. I have the intangibles to do it, to sit there and grind out training camp, to grind out the whole season. That's all I've done my entire life. That's all I want to do. So for me to come in and contribute right away is not a problem at all.”

The 6-4 ¾, 220-pound Hurd started his career off at the University of Tennessee at the running back position. He racked up 2,638 yards on the ground with the Vols to become the school’s sixth all-time rusher. 

He then transferred to Baylor, redshirted in 2017, and played his senior season at the wide receiver position.

“It’s just how my body was feeling at my last year at running back. I want to be able play this game longer than what I thought I was going to be able to at the running back position,” Hurd said. 

At Baylor, Hurd caught 69 passes for 946 yards and 4 touchdowns, while still picking up 209 yards on the ground and punching it into the end zone 3 more times.

Hurd was one of the most dynamic players to come through the Baylor football program in recent memory. The Bears utilized him in all aspects of their offense. Whether it was as a deep threat receiver or a red-zone running back, Hurd made the most of his opportunities and showed an impressive ability to adapt to different roles.

That kind of versatility is a common trend in today’s NFL, which makes Hurd a possible game-changer with his size and athleticism if he is put in the right system.

“I can make the spectacular catch, I can make the routine catches, I can make the cross-middle catches, but then when you actually get the ball in my hands, then I'm a running back in space,” Hurd said in regards to his versatility.

© Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Hurd said he is not against playing running back in the NFL.

Many NFL scouts, however, question Hurd’s sudden exit from Tennessee in the middle of his junior season. So much so that it very well might lead to Hurd slipping in the draft.

“I’ve talked about it with teams and that’s between me and them,” Hurd said at the combine. 

Scouts also believe that there is still room for Hurd to grow with his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage.

Hurd has was unable to participate in any of the NFL combine drills due to a knee procedure other than the bench press, where he got in 23 reps of the 225-pond bar. 

“I'm still kind of upset that I can't do the actual events and measureables, but I'll be able to make that up on Pro Day,” Hurd said. He even said he remembers watching the combine as a little kid, which makes the experience of just being there even more surreal.

The draft will take place in Nashville from April 25th to April 27th in Hurd’s hometown of Nashville, Tennessee. 

Discussion from...

Jalen Hurd knows he's a day-one contributor in the NFL

9,217 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ImwithBU
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He is a second rounder that will probably fall in the draft and then be All Pro. Teams that pass will be sorry.
BoonDockSaint
Love Jalen...but he was not a dynamic player nor deep threat this past year
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BoonDockSaint said:

You keep saying these things like he took your girl.

He was Big 12 Newcomer of the year
He led the nation in receptions for first downs
He would have had over a 1000 yards in his first season as a receiver if he hadn't gotten hurt against Tech
He also played RB and converted tough yardage and put a few games on his back

BaylorFan1234321
23 reps on a 225 pound bar even with a knee procedure going on, dang Jalen. Can't wait to see him in the NFL, really would like to see him on the Texans or Cowboys, would make my day to see him play professionally and stay in Texas, both teams need receivers too, so it may be possible. #KeepJalenInTexas

For real though Jalen love you and what you did for our football team and helping us improve to 7-6, no matter where you go to take your career to I will always support you and your actions, can't wait to see you soon in the NFL, have fun
gobears20
Staff
CNC
I just can't imagine being a nearly 6'5 RB, and having to run in between the tackles in the SEC for any amount of time. That's just too much body to try and protect.

Good luck to Jalen. I enjoyed watching him play this past season.
vanillabryce
BoonDockSaint said:

You're constantly hating on Hurd, so spare us all the 'love Jalen' BS. That guy balled out for us last year. Give it up.
BUbearinARK
BoonDockSaint said:

Love Jalen...but I'm just not they dynamic poster I'd hoped to be this past year
ImwithBU
vanillabryce said:

BoonDockSaint said:

You're constantly hating on Hurd, so spare us all the 'love Jalen' BS. That guy balled out for us last year. Give it up.

He had a decent season but balling out is hyperbole. He wasn't in top 20 collegiately in any category (not sure about drops but he had a lot). Less than 1000 yards recieving and only 4 TDs. Catch some of those drops and he crosses the 1K mark easily. He will get drafted early because he was an NFL caliber talent before he got here. If you basing it on his Baylor days there are much better WRs out there and he knows it, that's the reason the change in his tune. He will do well with a team like the Patriots who will utilize him multiple ways but he has a WR body with a slot guy mentality.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.