Football
Sponsored by

RB John Lovett studying the Safety position?

6,216 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One tweet makes it sound like he's just trying to learn more about DB game play to improve his knowledge as a RB. The other tweet makes it sound like it's a position he would consider playing???

Brian Ethridge
Staff
He's playing safety, but no contact.

We've been discussing it on premium since the breakfast we hosted at the Baylor Club.
boognish_bear
Thank you for the clarification
BUletters
Not sure that I like or understand this. I don't question that we could use some help at safety but would he be a better safety than a running back? I have some doubts and I think he is our best RB.
CaliByWayOfKS
BUletters said:

Not sure that I like or understand this. I don't question that we could use some help at safety but would he be a better safety than a running back? I have some doubts and I think he is our best RB.
I thought he was a best RB as well. He reminded me of the Williams type (not the size wise), but he got tough yards and went at them.
Dia del DougO
Ebner should start.
Johnny Bear
Are we deep enough at RB and/or thin enough at Safety to make this make sense? I also like Lovett at RB.
boognish_bear
Johnny Bear said:

Are we deep enough at RB and/or thin enough at Safety to make this make sense? I also like Lovett at RB.

Here's who is on the 2019 roster in those positions according to baylorbears.com website:

RBs
Jamycal Hasty SR
John Lovett JR
Craig "Sqwirl" Williams R-FR
Trestan Ebner JR
Abram Smith SO
Dru Dixon SO

Safety
Chris Miller SR
Henry Black (LB/S) SR
Blake Lynch (LB/S) SR
JT Woods SO
Christian Morgan SO
Hakeem Vance FR
Colby Delashaw R-FR
Jairon McVea JR

Mitch Blood Green
BUletters said:

He doesn't have RB size.
Wineguy89
Ebner needs more touches as does Sqwirl. And the staff has been raving about Smith. If we somehow get thin at RB, Lovett can switch back. He won't have forgotten how to be a good RB.

Upside is he is a VERY smart football player and if he takes to safety quickly he might be a huge upgrade for us there. Might be a heat seeking missle back there too.
Timbear
Been watching Baylor football for decades, and can never remember a DC having so much trouble filling the safety position. It is without a doubt Snow's D scheme. So far , after 2 years, he is probably the statistically worst Baylor DC in the last 60 years.
DanaDane
Very wise decision both for him and the program. He has a better shot as an NFL safety and since he likes to hit, I can see him being successful. Meanwhile, I won't call out anyone specific on that list of safeties, but I will say I have never seen any position group take worse angles on defensive plays. 8 year old pee wee teams take better angles. Just never figured out whether it was the players, the coaching or a combination of both. So Lovett will probably become the best safety in a short period of time.
Dnicknames
Timbear said:

Been watching Baylor football for decades, and can never remember a DC having so much trouble filling the safety position. It is without a doubt Snow's D scheme. So far , after 2 years, he is probably the statistically worst Baylor DC in the last 60 years.

I'll take Snow over Norwoo, or anything Kevin Steele put together.
Doc Holliday
Timbear said:

I got grilled for pointing out problems. Careful!
BUBear24
Doc Holliday said:

Timbear said:

If a player is contemplating a move but not being forced tohow is that a problem, and how is that a slight on Snow.
Doc Holliday
BUBear24 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Timbear said:

If a player is contemplating a move but not being forced tohow is that a problem, and how is that a slight on Snow.
Im not making that assertion. Just saying criticism of the new staff is not going to fly on here.
Bear8084
Timbear said:

Kind of early in the season for over the top hyperboles.
Bear8084
Doc Holliday said:

Timbear said:

Presenting facts to you isn't getting grilled.
Timbear
My statement is accurate and you know it. Hope 2019 can be much better. Like I've said before, generally, O will not be our challenge this year. Snow's D will be .
Bear8084
Timbear said:

My statement is accurate and you know it. Hope 2019 can be much better. Like I've said before, generally, O will not be our challenge this year. Snow's D will be .

No. It's not.

The D will need to step up, true, however, he is not the worst DC we have ever had.
Doc Holliday
Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

No. It's not.

The D will need to step up, true, however, he is not the worst DC we have ever had.
Why compare to ourselves?

Is Snow the best Defensive coach in the Big12...if not, why?
Bear8084
Doc Holliday said:

Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

No. It's not.

No. Because he has only had 2 seasons of a major overhaul in both schemes and and how the defense is run. I would expect to see even more improvement this season as it's year 3 of the install.
Doc Holliday
Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

No. It's not.

No. Because he has only had 2 seasons of a major overhaul in both schemes and and how the defense is run. I would expect to see even more improvement this season as it's year 3 of the install.
I guess what I'm asking is are his schemes and plans in full fruition better than all the other big12 defensive schemes?
Bear8084
Doc Holliday said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

No. It's not.

I guess what I'm asking is are his schemes and plans in full fruition better than all the other big12 defensive schemes?

We'll find out once they are fully installed. There are flashes of it being really good along with setbacks, and in year 2 did help get us to 7 wins.
Timbear
These players are not at Baylor for years to play Snow's D once they've learned it, like a pro player would be. If the safety position is terrible again this year, and if our D can't at least statistically be ranked 90th, then that means the schemes are flawed. We'll see.
Bear8084
Timbear said:

These players are not at Baylor for years to play Snow's D once they've learned it, like a pro player would be. If the safety position is terrible again this year, and if our D can't at least statistically be ranked 90th, then that means the schemes are flawed. We'll see.

A player comes into the program, you have to learn the schemes and plays. On a rebuild, it's going to take longer.

Nice goal posts. We'll see if those move too as the season goes on.
Timbear
So far, Snow has not been held to the same standard as Bennett. If Baylor wins 10 games in 2019, like I believe they can, it will be because of Snow's D improvement. Fingers crossed.
Noghri
Dnicknames said:

Timbear said:

I'll take Snow over Norwoo, or anything Kevin Steele put together.
Blasphemy!
Not many coordinators can pull off fielding 9 for a goal line stand.

boognish_bear
Keyser Soze
Timbear said:

Average NFL career is 3.3 years
Timbear
We'll see Keyser. My statement stands. This season depends on Snow being at least bad and not terrible.
Keyser Soze
Not sure how Snow can make LBs fast. Get better, that is the measuring stick.
Sailor Bear
Timbear said:

Tell us exactly, message board football genius, how Snow's "schemes are flawed."

Points per Game per http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalPointsPerGame

Temple:
2013 - 29.8 (83rd)
2014 - 17.5 (6th)
2015 - 19.2 (16th)
2016 - 17.2 (8th)

Baylor:
2017 - 35.9 (115th)
2018 - 31.2 (87th)

And really, 2017 is pretty much what Rhule calls "Year Zero." That was in no way a comparable season to 2013 Temple. I am willing to bet whatever you want that, by the above metric, Baylor improves substantially in 2019.
Timbear
Because, Bearish, our D sucks. It hasn't ranked below 100. Snow sends the safety running out of the play, so we play 10 on 11. He and Rhule came in all high and mighty. Arrogant. They were going to show the Big 12 what D is. Still waiting.
Les3
Timbear said:

Because, Bearish, our D sucks. It hasn't ranked below 100. Snow sends the safety running out of the play, so we play 10 on 11. He and Rhule came in all high and mighty. Arrogant. They were going to show the Big 12 what D is. Still waiting.

I have been critical of Rhule, especially because of the annual "let's see what NFL team wants me". Arrogant is not a word I would use to describe him.

Just because your scheme is different does not equate to arrogance. I agree, however, the defense has been bad. They must improve.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.