Football
Sponsored by

RB John Lovett studying the Safety position?

6,207 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
Krieg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearish said:

Timbear said:

These players are not at Baylor for years to play Snow's D once they've learned it, like a pro player would be. If the safety position is terrible again this year, and if our D can't at least statistically be ranked 90th, then that means the schemes are flawed. We'll see.
Tell us exactly, message board football genius, how Snow's "schemes are flawed."

Points per Game per http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalPointsPerGame

Temple:
2013 - 29.8 (83rd)
2014 - 17.5 (6th)
2015 - 19.2 (16th)
2016 - 17.2 (8th)

Baylor:
2017 - 35.9 (115th)
2018 - 31.2 (87th)

And really, 2017 is pretty much what Rhule calls "Year Zero." That was in no way a comparable season to 2013 Temple. I am willing to bet whatever you want that, by the above metric, Baylor improves substantially in 2019.

Points per game is a stat we should be really good at with our offensive time of possession. Also, the improvement between year 1 and last season is a freaking FG. That's a huge problem. If that was year 0 I want a refund. I still had to pay full price.

The safety issues might be talent, but their angles are designed to make tackles while running full speed at the RBs that are also running full speed but in the opposite direction. That's not a reliable strategy unless you can play really good seniors every year, which is hard to count on in college football. It's much easier to break down and make the tackle a little further downfield, which is what most players do around the country. It's significantly worse than our best case now but it also doesn't allow 40 yard runs and TDs due to missing the tackle.
ImwithBU
Les3 said:

Timbear said:

Because, Bearish, our D sucks. It hasn't ranked below 100. Snow sends the safety running out of the play, so we play 10 on 11. He and Rhule came in all high and mighty. Arrogant. They were going to show the Big 12 what D is. Still waiting.

I have been critical of Rhule, especially because of the annual "let's see what NFL team wants me". Arrogant is not a word I would use to describe him.

Just because your scheme is different does not equate to arrogance. I agree, however, the defense has been bad. They must improve.
Oh it was pure arrogance. Go back and watch the Boise State game and how he literally said he was going to bring Defense to the Big 12 as if the conference did have defensive gurus. He let his perception of a conference he very little to nothing about cloud his judgement. He ate those words early on and as of now he is still eating crow.

This is year 3, rather some of you want to admit it or not, is simply put up or shut. One thing about starting all those "young players" in 2017 is that excuse goes out of the window now. They are all season veterans, even those that played last year. At some point guys have to play. No one wants to hear they are learning the system. BU is suppose to be about academics, im assuming most of the players have a high enough IQ to catch on and if not they can hang up those NFL aspirations. The NFL give you a book as a rookie, and expect you to know it by the time you start camp, we should expect the same of our players.
Timbear
You should not expect the same of our players as the pros. That's the pros full time job. Our players are student athletes with the challenges of actual academic classes and just trying to mature as 18, 19 yr olds.
xiledinok
Snow defense depends on talent at safety and it takes time to recruit defensive talent when you start with FCS talent on defense.
Just look at the draft. It's to see why the Big 12's draftable offensive talent is blowing bunch a lower division guys off the football.
ImwithBU
Timbear said:

You should not expect the same of our players as the pros. That's the pros full time job. Our players are student athletes with the challenges of actual academic classes and just trying to mature as 18, 19 yr olds.

We're not. Some of them have had 3 years to learn it. Others atleast a year... If they can learn it at TCU Bama and Clemson why not here. All those teams have complex schemes and usuallly top defenses
Timbear
Do we know how complex or not other teams defensive schemes are? I'd say Snow's are too complex and unrealistic for new players to be effective with. I guess we'll find out in 4 months.
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.