Football
Sponsored by

Oakman finds a home

20,483 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SATXBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
applemacg4
Can he countersue the accuser for damages?
Mr Tulip
He'd have to be sued before he could countersue. He was arrested, indicted, and criminally tried. However, I know what you mean.

You can sue anyone for anything. There's greater and lesser chances of success. Civil court has its own rules, but I'm thinking you're going to have to really prove that the accusations were patently false and were motivated out of a desire to hurt. Just having the charges not proven wouldn't do it.

Even if you were successful, unless this lady is an heiress, I doubt you're recovering much more than attorney's fees. Most people just don't have the net worth to begin to compensate an otherwise professional athlete for lost income.
Beaneater
To me, that last bit is the biggest part. Even if Oakman had a solid gold case against her--can she pay? There's no insurance for things like this. So, in my view she gets away with it. His best course is to go out and be the best man he can be and make the most of every opportunity that comes his way, and forget about her. Except, of course, to remember to be more circumspect in his relationships.
Doc Holliday
The real tragedy in the entire scandal is the garbage known as Title IX.
Dman
Waiting on X to come drop his racist spin in 3...2...1....
Mitch Blood Green
Is this a good move?
xiledinok
Dman said:

What's Plan B for Oakman? I understand Plan A is to play in the NFL. Statistically, he is a very at risk African American male.

Oakman should inspire to be more like President Barack Obama and less like a young struggling Dexter Manley (and I like Dexter).
Keyser Soze
Doc Holliday said:

That .... and (allegidly)

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs
Vandalizing rape victims car
Not reporting to Judicial Affairs

But yes, Title 9
EvilTroyAndAbed
Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9
Oakman did all that? Oh wait. He did nothing, but y'all still proclaimed him guilty.
Keyser Soze
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9
Oakman did all that? Oh wait. He did nothing, but y'all still proclaimed him guilty.
Wasn't speaking about Oakman specifically - you might note the words "entire scandal" that I was replying to

Oakman did allegedly assault a different girlfriend while at Baylor. Athletics knew about this and did not report this to Title IX / Judicial Affairs.

Keyser Soze
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9

And no one has proclaimed him guilty.
REX
Keyser Soze said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9
Wasn't speaking about Oakman specifically - you might note the words "entire scandal" that I was replying to

Oakman did allegedly assault a different girlfriend while at Baylor. Athletics knew about this and did not report this to Title IX / Judicial Affairs.

That darn little allegedly word that you have to keep on using.
4th and Inches
REX said:

Keyser Soze said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9

I allegedly ran the 40 in 4.3.... I am allegedly worth about 10 million. I allegedly have a smokin hot wife.

This is fun... allegedly
Doc Holliday
Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9
Title IX perpetuates all of those problems is what I'm getting at.
Grizz Air
Anyway, hopefully we can re-rail this discussion back toward Oakman. I am guessing this means the NFL is out of the question for him? Why? Age? Skill level? The accusations (of theft, grabbing a cashier by the wrist, GF abuse, GF rape)? Some combination of talent, age and accusations?
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Keyser Soze
REX said:

Keyser Soze said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9

Alleged is very appropriate, but you are burying the lead.

What is not alleged is athletics knew about this and did nothing. Briles' fixer, assistant AD Shillinglaw, lied to PH investigators and was busted with information about this on his computer.

Baylor had an obligation to the victim to offer counseling, academic help, financial aid, and many other things as required under Title IX. Since Baylor did not know about this because of athletics, they could not possibly fulfill their obligations. Athletics not only lied and deceived their employer, Baylor, they created a large financial liability for them too. This gets you justifiably fired.

You report alleged assaults. End of story. You don't prove the allegation and then report. Coaches don't investigate and meet with victims and their parents.

xiledinok
REX said:

Keyser Soze said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9

Perhaps Oakman not being at Baylor would have helped Art not look so darn stupid.

Why are you here? You should be worried about how Florida, Clemson and Alabama have all these recruits turned off from Florida State.

What's plan B for Oakman?
xiledinok
Grizz Air said:

Anyway, hopefully we can re-rail this discussion back toward Oakman. I am guessing this means the NFL is out of the question for him? Why? Age? Skill level? The accusations (of theft, grabbing a cashier by the wrist, GF abuse, GF rape)? Some combination of talent, age and accusations?

Withstanding the not guilty verdict, there's too much baggage.
He made his bed and now he's too risky. His weaknesses far outweigh his strengths when it comes to employing him.
Plus, he's a borderline NFL guy. Looks like Tarzan but played like Jane plenty of times.
xiledinok
Doc Holliday said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9
Title IX perpetuates all of those problems is what I'm getting at.

Title IX has nothing to do with grade changes. It has nothing to do with a bunch of that list. Keep trying to sale a Briles. Like the effort at the Alamo, admirable but still getting killed.

Our former regime needs to be at a football finishing school. The problem is that there are no football finishing schools. Art needs to coach in a European model of athletic development. Unfortunately, a place that teaches cotton picking in the United States doesn't have a football team. No academics want him near them.
Dman
OWNED/X,

Why would you send me a private message? And why would I read it? This is Milli level sad. He was so desperate for my attention he'd PM me..knowing he was on ignore. Never read a single one of his PMs either.

Out of pity I Never ignored you because your drunk racist rants were always a reminder of a life wasted. If you have something to say...post it. I'm not wasting more of my time on a PM.

Alfred Anchorsen
I watched Oakman go against a guy known by Baylor folks (he shall remain nameless) and this dude embarrassed Oakman.
REX
Alfred Anchorsen said:

I watched Oakman go against a guy known by Baylor folks (he shall remain nameless) and this dude embarrassed Oakman.

Table tennis?
xiledinok
Dman said:

OWNED/X,

Why would you send me a private message? And why would I read it? This is Milli level sad. He was so desperate for my attention he'd PM me..knowing he was on ignore. Never read a single one of his PMs either.

Out of pity I Never ignored you because your drunk racist rants were always a reminder of a life wasted. If you have something to say...post it. I'm not wasting more of my time on a PM.

I sent you one to actually see if you would respond. It was to difficult to pass up the opportunity.
Why did you respond on this? Couldn't help but lash out in anger?
You bark a great deal about race. I was hoping you would point out my racist posts.
I do question whether you would actually care about Oakman if he wasn't a football player. I really don't think most of the Briles supporters would care if he wasn't a football player or even a struggling black man (they wouldn't care if Oakman was Joe African American but they'd trash him like Obama).
xiledinok
REX said:

Alfred Anchorsen said:

Table tennis?

More likely cops and robbers than table tennis, just guessing.

Rex, you must have only watched Baylor offense. Oakman was a DE, played on the side that tried to knock out your quarterback killing son's quarterback.
BearlyBeloved
xiledinok said:

Dman said:

Oakman should inspire to be more like President Barack Obama and less like a young struggling Dexter Manley (and I like Dexter).
Obama plays football?

He claims that he would never let his son play football--if he had a son, that is.
chukronos
xiledinok said:

REX said:

Keyser Soze said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rape
Assault
Academic fraud
Not vetting transfers
Masking agents
Trains
Pulling guns
Exposure
Breaking and entering
Harassing rape victim
Date rape drugs

But yes, Title 9

What's plan B for Oakman?
I believe he is currently living his plan B.
boognish_bear
https://sports.yahoo.com/shawn-oakman-faces-long-nfl-draft-odds-after-acquittal-in-rape-trial-184711515.html

Shawn Oakman faces long odds of getting into NFL after acquittal in rape trial

Charles Robinson
April 8, 2019, 1:47 PM CDT
Former Baylor defensive lineman Shawn Oakman fell off NFL draft boards in 2016 after he was investigated and later charged with rape. He was found not guilty in February and is attempting to play pro football. (Getty Images)
Former Baylor defensive lineman Shawn Oakman fell off NFL draft boards in 2016 after he was investigated and later charged with rape. He was found not guilty in February and is attempting to play pro football. (Getty Images)
Once again, Shawn Oakman is trying to get his football career back on track. And like Johnny Manizel before him, he's willing to go anywhere and do anything to make it happen.

In recent weeks, the former Baylor football star whose gargantuan, chiseled physique went viral during the 2015 Cotton Bowl has been searching for an NFL agent and attempting to generate any look he can get from professional football leagues. That included popping up as a late addition in the Spring League, an Austin, Texas, scouting event that has featured Manziel and a few other former college and NFL players trying to regain traction in their careers.

Scroll to continue with content
By all accounts, Oakman has his work cut out for him. He was once considered a project player with immense physical gifts but a litany of character questions heading into a 2016 NFLdraft process that had him pegged as a potential second- or third-round pick. That abruptly ended when a rape investigation surfaced only weeks before the draft, leading Oakman to be dropped off every team's board. He ultimately went unselected and his career was cast into doubt when he was indicted on a rape charge. Oakman faced the charges in the judicial process and refused a plea offer along the way before eventually winning an acquittal in February that saw jurors deliberate for only two hours before a decision.

Oakman's NFL evaluation restarts

That acquittal opened the door for him to pursue an NFL career, but the near three-year pause in his pursuit has created an uphill climb that appears vastly more difficult than the one Oakman faced in 2016, when he was largely facing questions from teams about his dismissal from Penn State as a freshman and a rough upbringing that had been catalogued throughout his career.

Teams are basically beginning at square one with Oakman.

Yahoo Sports reached out to a handful of personnel men over the past week most of whom saw Oakman's path to pro football as more of a curiosity than a certainty. As of last week, a few still hadn't realized that Oakman had been acquitted on the rape charge. Others recalled vague questions about his evaluations prior to the 2016 draft. All universally agreed on one point: at 27 years old and more than three years removed from playing in a high-level football game, his odds at an NFL career are now extremely long. Even having been considered a potential high pick in a draft just a few years ago.

"He's probably going to have a hard time making it to the [Canadian Football League] at this point," one scout said. "Probably the worst thing for him was the [Alliance of American Football] folding. He's starting from scratch, even with what he is physically or what he was, physically."

Whatever the journey, Oakman officially started it in the Spring League last week and will wrap his practices in front of scouts in the next few days. It's an event that boasted having brought 18 NFL scouts and nine from the CFL last year, while having nearly 33 percent of participants in 2018 invited to a camp in the NFL or CFL. Such an invite would be a humble restart for Oakman who was a defensive MVP of the Senior Bowl in 2016 but like Manziel in 2017, he appears to be looking for any opportunity he can get.

"It feels great to be out here it's truly a blessing," Oakman told the Austin American-Statesman. "A lot of people take [football] for granted. A lot of people would've retired already. To me, it was just a blessing, a blessing to be back out here to do what I love. I think the [Spring League] game will put my name out there. My game will speak for itself."

Oakman has had a significantly winding path over the past three years, as his trial wound through the legal system. He had jobs that included working at a carnival and pouring concrete in construction. He also spent time with two indoor football teams in 2018 the Triangle Torch and Bismarck Bucks. Since his acquittal in February, he has been working to get back the immense physical frame that once made him stick out at football events, including the 2016 NFL scouting combine, where he stood side-by-side with other top tier prospects and physically looked like an imposing All-Pro.

Of course, that has always been a part of the Oakman story. During the league's draft process in 2016, nearly every NFL team took time to speak with him at the Senior Bowl or combine. Largely because of the untapped talent, but also because there was so much work to do on Oakman off the field. He was dismissed from Penn State for team infractions, including a confrontation with a cashier for allegedly attempting to steal a sandwich. There were other alleged physical confrontations he was asked about, along with a childhood that included being homeless at one point.

But aside from questions teams raised about him off the field, Oakman was already presenting a challenging evaluation heading into the 2016 draft. He was on the NFL radar for several years, essentially from his first season at Baylor in 2013, as a rotational redshirt sophomore following a transfer from Penn State. As Bears coaches were raving about his talent ceiling that season, it didn't take long before NFL eyes started to wander in the direction of Oakman's chiseled 6-foot-8, 270-pound frame.

By the time Oakman was heading into his senior season, some had remarkably high expectations of him. So much so, the National Football Scouting service which is used by some NFL teams as a loose reference to guide evaluations put the second highest grade of the 2015 senior prospectus on Oakman. The only player rated higher than Oakman: Oregon's DeForest Buckner, who ended up being selected No. 7 overall by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2016 draft.

That's not to suggest Oakman was a top-10 talent heading into his senior season at Baylor, nor in the ensuing 2016 draft. In truth, NFL evaluators often pan the National Football Scouting grades as being nothing more than a glorified "watch list." But it's a reminder that some had him pegged as a potential high first-round pick.

Where he settled after his senior year, the NFL combine and the early portions of the draft's sifting process was another matter. His evaluations were uneven, with criticism typically landing on Oakman looking like an All-Pro defensive end but often playing maddeningly inconsistent. The physical gifts? They were so jaw-dropping that even years later the Cotton Bowl photo continues to circulate on social media of Oakman towering over Michigan State's players.

But consistent results matter for potential first-round picks, and Oakman's raised some questions after his senior season. Despite registering 19 1/2 tackles for a loss and 11 sacks as a junior in 2014 (and likely being a first-round pick in the 2015 draft), Oakman surprisingly returned to Baylor for his senior year. His production dipped to 14 1/2 tackles for a loss and only 4 1/2 sacks as a senior, opening up some on-field questions to go with some of the character questions off it.

It wasn't long before assessments of Oakman were all over the place. Some scouts looked at him as an ex-basketball player with elite athleticism but a lack of feel for the game. Others thought he was too stiff to be a high-level NFL producer. Some saw him as a player who didn't always give consistent effort and often seemed blockable at times. And of course, there were questions about character flags off the field, which Oakman was trying to answer through the process. Some believed he would be a second-round pick with some first-round ability. Others thought he would slide into the third round. But everyone agreed: He was a player who had traits that couldn't be ignored and if a team could develop him to his physical gifts, he had star potential worth the investment.

In many ways, his assessment was similar to that of Michigan State defensive end Malik McDowell in 2017, who was seen as overflowing with physical gifts and scattered brilliance on tape but inconsistent and with some questions about his attitude and effort. Interestingly, McDowell's draft position unfolded the way many thought Oakman's could have if it hadn't been for the rape trial that derailed him. Ultimately, McDowell was taken 35th overall by the Seattle Seahawks, higher than some thought was warranted largely based on his upside and physical traits. To be fair, McDowell's evaluations were better than Oakman's. He was seen as a better overall athlete and safer bet off the field. But the propensity for NFL teams to lean into project pass rushers who cut the kind of figure that Oakman once did certainly could have enticed a pick higher than anticipated.

He unquestionably had no shortage of interested teams going into that 2016 draft. Now? He may very well go a while with no interest at all. He's still an enigma. Unquestionably, he's still a difficult evaluation. Where that takes him next is anyone's guess. But that process has started, in more humble surroundings than ever before.
boognish_bear

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

Schools shouldn't be in the business of receiving assault complaints and acting upon them. That should fall within the purview of the DA's office.
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Schools shouldn't be in the business of receiving assault complaints and acting upon them. That should fall within the purview of the DA's office.
100% agreed.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
xiledinok
If only everything revolved around Title IX! Poor ignorant Art and company cannot even play their cards right. No one is buying his poorly played hand.
Keyser Soze
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

.... because the Tevin Elliotts of the world need a safe college campus to hang out for 12 - 24 months before their trial

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.