Football
Sponsored by

Words to 'Good Old Baylor Line'

3,828 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by whitetrash
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Specifically "We'll fling our green & gold afar". They were written in 1931 which is before, i believe, Baylor wore old gold on their uniforms. Point being, when these words were written they were referring to the color of yellow flowers or dandelions when they flung their gold afar. If they had just called it what it is - which is yellow - and not gold, it would have saved everybody a lot of heartache.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Wichitabear
I think whenever our older alums or alum from waaaaay back then saw this field, it was gold to them because of the beauty. Corny maybe or way off from being right. I don't know.
No Longer Gold
They weren't talking about dang flowers.

That is a lily white lie.

Look at every use of the color by Baylor from back then. where real gold was available, they used it.

Helmets, yearbooks, the Ferrell, old main, and even Pat Neff, for crying out loud!

That's what the gold helmets represent. That's what they call back to and remind us of, that's what ties us all together while watching a game.

They could not make metallic fabrics until later. As soon as they could, BU started using them.

I'd rather BU's colors be based on the green and gold colors of campus, walking the mall seeing pat Jeff, and the amazing landscaping, or the green and gold colors of the streets of heaven than the colors of some college station highway weeds anyway.

I'm sure way back in the day some kid on a train was dreaming of heaven on his way back to school from his grandmother's funeral.

There ya go, we now have a background story.
Wichitabear
Ok DubDub. Then why does everyone keep referring back to these flowers???? Just an honest question.
PartyBear
All one needs to do is google image old Baylor RoundUps. From 1896 on up in those early days. If you don't think original intent was evidenced by the actual terms used green and "gold" when picking the colors, look at the colors of those Round Ups they are green and metallic gold. Look at the metallic look of even the leather helmets by the way. The metallic look can be seen even in black and white photos.
Les3
I could be wrong, but I sense there is a lack of acceptance to the new green and gold.

We can debate the shade of gold from now on, but I am just glad Baylor finally, after all of these years, declared one green and one gold for all of the university.

Even when you went to a shop and happened to stumble across Baylor gear, you would see every color in the book.

At least now, if you decide to, you can wear Baylor colors to the game and feel confident it is right.

Ok, now continue the debate on Shade of Gold, version 36.
PartyBear
I don't think anyone has an issue with the green. It is pretty close to what we have always worn. Had they gone lime green it would be in the ball park of equivalent on green.

But yes the specifics such as shades interpretation of one or both colors that constitute the "one brand" are likely to change more frequently than once every 10 years, especially when you consider Baylor history of this.

That's ok btw. Other than blue bloods schools always change shades of the colors every so often. Even ND, a blue blood does as an exception to the blue bloods. TCU and KSU for example have changed their shades of purple several times. Both have used even lavender at time in fact. TCU recently used lavender during the decade of the 90s. Neither of those schools even have gray or silver as a color but both go back and forth between those colors and at times have just stuck with the "official" school colors of purple and white. TCU has used black for its branding as well the past 20 years. They don't even pretend black and gray or silver are "official" colors. None of this hurts their brand. Miami changes its shade of green or/and orange every so often and so on as well. None of theses things hurts the brands of these schools.
LIB,MR BEARS
Does BU have the longest, continually running Fashion and Design department in higher ed?

ps... does this board have a place to go to discuss football?
PartyBear
Baylor has made a huge deal out of this particular fashion show. It was going to generate discussion if the new stuff was unpopular. If there are wild variances from what has been usually used at any school there will be a lot of discussion among their alums and fans on the internet about it in the internet age. This isn't unique to Baylor.
Les3
Quite honestly I never liked the contrast of the dark gold helmet with a green jersey. I also never liked all the different shades of gold we trotted out on the field.

The new gold will take some getting used to. I'm willing to embrace it. Obviously, on this message board, I am in the minority. That's ok.

Also, the neon that Basketball wore disgusted me, but I realized many liked it. So be it.

I, for one, look forward to purchasing some new BU swag, and can't wait for the fall.
Wichitabear
I personally think that when we run out on the field for the first time, we are going to look real good and even better when we win. We love our school so support is what we will do
MrGolfguy
"We'll Fling our Green and Yellow afar" and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
EatMoreSalmon
PartyBear said:

All one needs to do is google image old Baylor RoundUps. From 1896 on up in those early days. If you don't think original intent was evidenced by the actual terms used green and "gold" when picking the colors, look at the colors of those Round Ups they are green and metallic gold. Look at the metallic look of even the leather helmets by the way. The metallic look can be seen even in black and white photos.
1896 front cover is green cloth hardback with fancy gold leaf lettering. The inner front and back covers and fly leafs are yellow with floral patterns that look like dandelions.

Football team wore no helmets, and who knows what colors they were wearing in that picture. I tried Algorithma to colorize it, and it came out... well.... just more yellowed.
BUbearinARK
There is an easy solution to all of this.

Words change to: "We'll fling our green and secondary colors afar"

Solved.

Edit mr golf guy beat me to it by a couple of posts!
Wichitabear
No, you know Baptist's will just form another committe to discuss it. Lol
BUbearinARK
Wichitabear said:

The committee on committees is going to get together soon, I'm sure
Wichitabear
Yep
BaylorRocks
BUbearinARK said:

Wichitabear said:

But hey, there'll be food.....
Wichitabear
You bet!!! Lol
Wichitabear
Lolol Just more yellow uh. Sometimes, life as the Lord works in mysterious ways.
Redbrickbear
BUbearinARK said:

Wichitabear said:

Baptist's love committees.

Upper class professional types love committees.

Universities love committees.

We are a Baptist University who graduates mostly upper middle class professionals.......were are the trifecta of committee lovers!
drahthaar
Can hardly wait to see if the game day music matches the uniform colors!
OldBurlyBear86
I am just waiting for them to change Pat Neff to yellow
whitetrash
witchmo said:

Can hardly wait to see if the game day music matches the uniform colors!
New band uniforms in the new "official" mustard color.

Will change its name to the "Gulden Wave Marching Band".
Ashley Hodge
Staff
how many times did we wear gold helmets last year out of the 13 games we played?
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

how many times did we wear gold helmets last year out of the 13 games we played?

OOH, I know.

None.

Same thing the year before.

And it was the wrong thing to do.
Illigitimus non carborundum
whitetrash
Ashley Hodge said:

None, because we were told "the new helmets aren't available in gold." Which was accepted as a plausible reason....until Notre Dame wore the exact same new helmet model. In gold.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2018/8/2/baylor-football-to-wear-vicis-zero1-helmet-for-2018-season.aspx

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/notre-dame-football-to-wear-vicis-zero1-helmet-for-2018-season-300559025.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.