Football
Sponsored by

Baylor vs Vanderbilt in 19 minutes

1,648 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
John Hawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I finally got around to condensing the Vanderbilt game. My first attempt was just over 20 minutes and got blocked by Disney within 5 minutes of being uploaded. I've condensed it below 20 minutes and it's still up. so here it is. Enjoy.
historian
As always, thanks a million! These videos are always good.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
You're the man- thanks for doing this
Media Bear
Saw so many interesting/fun/head scratching things in this replay:

A: Man, Chris Miller (#3) took an awful angle on that first TD given up to Vandy. Rather than head the ball carrier off at the pass (veering right and cutting him off a little further down the field with only one Vandy blocker to contend with), he chose to go direct instead -- straight into two Vandy blockers and taking another BU pursuer (#23 Thomas) with him. And late on the pursuit to boot -- it was really the height of optimism that he'd be able to just saw through 1-2 Vandy players like a hot knife through butter and still bring the ball carrier down.

Clay Johnston (44) tries to make the late save, but too slow to match that Vandy RB, who was in full afterburner at that point (to his credit, Johnston almost managed to shoestring him -- would have been an amazing play had he pulled it off) ... Yah ... I reckon Miller would love a do-over on that one ...

B: Folks might diss Charlie Brewer for not having a classic "deep ball" (which he doesn't) -- but there ain't NOTHING wrong with his intermediate range throwing -- which extends out to 30-35, maybe even 40 yards and is super accurate. Combined with his ever-present running threat -- this is one QB who is hard to stop. He'll find ways to get yardage one way or the other. The kind of signal caller that drives other teams' DCs and fans nuts.

C: James Lynch -- so explosive coming off that left side at DE. At times made the rest of our DL look like they were standing still for the first 1-2 secs after the ball was snapped. All-American material without question.

D: Our basic pass defense skills -- getting head around to track the ball, batting the ball down, keeping receivers covered -- is a full two notches up from the best we ever saw out of most Phil Bennett defenses.

E: Vandy RB zips through not one, but two small creases -- each between a pair of BU players -- en route to a long TD run. How neither of those 4 players managed to even lay a finger on him ... oh boy. Stuff like that just cannot happen this fall. Not after a year of experience and learning from mistakes.

F: On that third Vandy TD, would've loved for V. Vaughns (#1) to have held his ground rather than get suckered into sliding forward just before the snap on the sweep fake. VU still would've got a decent gain out of a well-designed play, but maybe just 8-10 yards instead of about 60-plus. As for #11 (Houston) ... would've liked to have seen him do something. Anything. Instead he was pretty much frozen on the play, seemingly unable to figure out what was going on until the RB was about to run by him.

G: Bang-bang play near end of the first half, but Thomas (#23) was soooooo close to a pick 6 ... Ughhhh.

H. Man, just get Tyquan Thornton (and the ball) into some space this fall and ... watch the scoreboard light up. Cuz it will.

I: DL consistently flushed the Vandy QB (Shurmur) out of the pocket all evening long. Kudos on a great unit effort there.

J: Tristan Ebner is such a superior athlete to most of the defenders who try to tackle him. Enjoy this guy while he is still on campus. Runs. Catches. Blocks. Smashes. Good speed. Seems destined to play on Sunday IMO.

K: Again one must ask. What was Christian Morgan thinking on that late hit penalty in 3Q? Ball hits ground in front of him. Still 5 yards away from would-be receiver at that point. Still lays the wallop on Vandy player anyway. Did he not hear the whistle? Or see the ball? Such things are "mind bottling" ...

L: Great awareness by Henry Black (#8) to get that ball stripped near the goal line on Vandy's late 3Q drive (with the score BU 31-VU 21) for a Baylor recovery. Likely saved a Vandy TD and quite possibly a game-changing play. Even though we went 3-and-out on the next series (and Vandy scored again making it 31-28).

M: Hope Mims has forgotten about that early 4Q bobble in the end zone up to the Vandy player's waiting arms for one of the luckiest interceptions ever. He needs to. I've certainly tried to. Play is straight doo-doo. Sometimes $#1+ just happens -- and not to be pondered upon therafter ...

N: Would also like to forget about the VU near-touchdown run on the next series. THREE missed tackles en route to the end zone (a fourth finally did bring him down just short of the goal line pylon). Oy. Vey. Man I hope we see a lot less of this in the 2019-2020 season.

O: And we get it back (the lead) in one play. Brewer. Ebner. Paydirt. Glorious!

P: Never thought I'd see Clay Johnston ever get trucked the way Vandy's Vaughn did him at the 17:16 mark of this video. That's some kind of power running to be able to do that.

Q: Gotta credit Vandy's QB Shurmur for playing a very solid game as well. Kept dealing all game long despite the pressure we put on him -- and without the mobility to bail him out of some situations that Brewer used to bail out of his.

R: Marques. Friggin. Jones. Hero status at 18;24 mark of this video. WOOOO!!!

S: James Lynch (93) vs. Verkedric Vaughns (1) for the potential game-sealing INT (19:06 mark). Winner: Neither ... but the Bears get the ball on down next play and Brewer runs out the clock to seal the bowl game victory!
MilliVanilli
Media Bear said:

Saw so many interesting/fun/head scratching things in this replay:

A: Man, Chris Miller (#3) took an awful angle on that first TD given up to Vandy. Rather than head the ball carrier off at the pass (veering right and cutting him off a little further down the field with only one Vandy blocker to contend with), he chose to go direct instead -- straight into two Vandy blockers and taking another BU pursuer (#23 Thomas) with him. And late on the pursuit to boot -- it was really the height of optimism that he'd be able to just saw through 1-2 Vandy players like a hot knife through butter and still bring the ball carrier down.

Clay Johnston (44) tries to make the late save, but too slow to match that Vandy RB, who was in full afterburner at that point (to his credit, Johnston almost managed to shoestring him -- would have been an amazing play had he pulled it off) ... Yah ... I reckon Miller would love a do-over on that one ...

B: Folks might diss Charlie Brewer for not having a classic "deep ball" (which he doesn't) -- but there ain't NOTHING wrong with his intermediate range throwing -- which extends out to 30-35, maybe even 40 yards and is super accurate. Combined with his ever-present running threat -- this is one QB who is hard to stop. He'll find ways to get yardage one way or the other. The kind of signal caller that drives other teams' DCs and fans nuts.

C: James Lynch -- so explosive coming off that left side at DE. At times made the rest of our DL look like they were standing still for the first 1-2 secs after the ball was snapped. All-American material without question.

D: Our basic pass defense skills -- getting head around to track the ball, batting the ball down, keeping receivers covered -- is a full two notches up from the best we ever saw out of most Phil Bennett defenses.

E: Vandy RB zips through not one, but two small creases -- each between a pair of BU players -- en route to a long TD run. How neither of those 4 players managed to even lay a finger on him ... oh boy. Stuff like that just cannot happen this fall. Not after a year of experience and learning from mistakes.

F: On that third Vandy TD, would've loved for V. Vaughns (#1) to have held his ground rather than get suckered into sliding forward just before the snap on the sweep fake. VU still would've got a decent gain out of a well-designed play, but maybe just 8-10 yards instead of about 60-plus. As for #11 (Houston) ... would've liked to have seen him do something. Anything. Instead he was pretty much frozen on the play, seemingly unable to figure out what was going on until the RB was about to run by him.

G: Bang-bang play near end of the first half, but Thomas (#23) was soooooo close to a pick 6 ... Ughhhh.

H. Man, just get Tyquan Thornton (and the ball) into some space this fall and ... watch the scoreboard light up. Cuz it will.

I: DL consistently flushed the Vandy QB (Shurmur) out of the pocket all evening long. Kudos on a great unit effort there.

J: Tristan Ebner is such a superior athlete to most of the defenders who try to tackle him. Enjoy this guy while he is still on campus. Runs. Catches. Blocks. Smashes. Good speed. Seems destined to play on Sunday IMO.

K: Again one must ask. What was Christian Morgan thinking on that late hit penalty in 3Q? Ball hits ground in front of him. Still 5 yards away from would-be receiver at that point. Still lays the wallop on Vandy player anyway. Did he not hear the whistle? Or see the ball? Such things are "mind bottling" ...

L: Great awareness by Henry Black (#8) to get that ball stripped near the goal line on Vandy's late 3Q drive (with the score BU 31-VU 21) for a Baylor recovery. Likely saved a Vandy TD and quite possibly a game-changing play. Even though we went 3-and-out on the next series (and Vandy scored again making it 31-28).

M: Hope Mims has forgotten about that early 4Q bobble in the end zone up to the Vandy player's waiting arms for one of the luckiest interceptions ever. He needs to. I've certainly tried to. Play is straight doo-doo. Sometimes $#1+ just happens -- and not to be pondered upon therafter ...

N: Would also like to forget about the VU near-touchdown run on the next series. THREE missed tackles en route to the end zone (a fourth finally did bring him down just short of the goal line pylon). Oy. Vey. Man I hope we see a lot less of this in the 2019-2020 season.

O: And we get it back (the lead) in one play. Brewer. Ebner. Paydirt. Glorious!

P: Never thought I'd see Clay Johnston ever get trucked the way Vandy's Vaughn did him at the 17:16 mark of this video. That's some kind of power running to be able to do that.

Q: Gotta credit Vandy's QB Shurmur for playing a very solid game as well. Kept dealing all game long despite the pressure we put on him -- and without the mobility to bail him out of some situations that Brewer used to bail out of his.

R: Marques. Friggin. Jones. Hero status at 18;24 mark of this video. WOOOO!!!

S: James Lynch (93) vs. Verkedric Vaughns (1) for the potential game-sealing INT (19:06 mark). Winner: Neither ... Bears get the ball on down next play and Brewer runs out the clock to seal the bowl game victory!
There's a little Joe Montana in his game, moxie, good legs, quick release, spreads it around, makes all the intermediate throws like a pro.

Montana didn't have great arm strength either.
historian
I enjoyed the video so much that I'm now rewatching the entire game, thanks to YouTube. I am currently watching the end of the 3rd quarter when Baylor punted after Henry Black forced a Vandy fumble. Looking forward to the longest play of the game by either team: Ebner's 75 yard TD.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.