Football
Sponsored by

Hurd and Thomas NFL projections

2,895 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EasyE
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
[url=https://ibb.co/sRnN16P][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/2h2Tv5V][/url]
chorne68
No way Hurd goes in the 6th or 7th round. He would be the steal of the draft.
Krieg
chorne68 said:

No way Hurd goes in the 6th or 7th round. He would be the steal of the draft.

I think him leaving Tennessee in the middle of a season, almost getting into fights against nobodies, and only having 1 season at his position are going to hurt him greatly on draft day. He's good once he has the ball but he's not a great route runner and his hands aren't fantastic. He has a ways to go.
Dia del DougO
Cowboys and Hurd would be a fantastic fit, regardless of what round.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
I think he'll surprise some people in the draft. His upside is huge, he proved a lot in his season at Baylor, immense physical gifts, hard worker, smart, I think he answered a lot of questions that people had, somebody is going to take a flier on him earlier than expected.

My main concern is the injury issues holding him back in the offseason. I think he really could have made a big move otherwise. You never know, though...
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
joseywales
Has to find right fit..hard worker athletic but not dynamic like a kamara
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Hurd is a possession receiver. He's your prototypical big slot, which is slightly ironic because he switched positions to take less hits. He'll take some nasty shots there. I don't really think he has the explosiveness to be on the outside like he probably thinks he does, but he's got ok hands which might get even better considering he hasn't been a receiver long.

His upside is in a specific role. I can't see him being a true #1 guy, but he could certainly be a 5-10 year nfl player.
Krieg
BarleyMcDougal said:

Hurd is a possession receiver. He's your prototypical big slot, which is slightly ironic because he switched positions to take less hits. He'll take some nasty shots there. I don't really think he has the explosiveness to be on the outside like he probably thinks he does, but he's got ok hands which might get even better considering he hasn't been a receiver long.

His upside is in a specific role. I can't see him being a true #1 guy, but he could certainly be a 5-10 year nfl player.

Yep, this.
Dia del DougO
I disagree with Hurd being strictly a role player prospect. He's limited somewhat now because he has played the position for such a short time. He has all the talent and physical skills to play any WR spot with more experience. He is an emerging talent in early development as a receiver. His best football is way ahead of him. He has a great frame, size and huge hands, most of all he has great football instincts. I hope he ends up with the Cowboys.

He can help a team immediately as a role player, but can grow to be an all around player with experience and learning more of the nuances of the game. I think using him for more than a few of carries as a RB is a waste. He should be a receiver, and I think it would be team using him as a gimmick player risks wasting the maximum level of his talent.
Mr Tulip
Draft gurus don't like questions. Jalen Hurd comes with questions.

We know him as a dedicated teammate willing to do what was necessary to help his team. We saw him as a football smart player always in the right place.

The NFL sees him as a RB that quit on his team midseason and transferred to a pass happy program. He had one good but not great season sandwiched in between injuries.

Somebody is going to get a bargain. I'll be surprised if he's picked at all, but he'll certainly be on a roster somewhere. I'm looking for him to reprise the Wes Welker/Jordy Nelson role where he's always on the field, but never featured. He'll just end up being the guy who gets the ball when options 1,2 and 3 are covered. Wes and Jordy both had HOF careers, so if he sticks with it and is fortunate, he could be a great one in time.
Dia del DougO
GMs like upside and Hurd has it in spades. They will overdraft for guys that they think could become big time players, especially for a relatively low price. There are always questions after the first round. Jalen's questions are more about what he hasn't done yet rather than negatives about character or physical limitations. A team that is in position to take a flier will risk an earlier pick on a guy like that.
Mr Tulip
What Hurd really has in his corner is the overt lack of negatives. He's acknowledged that he should have handled the UTenn situation better. However, looking back, Tennessee was a dysfunctional program that he couldn't really be blamed for wanting out of.

Someone will likely take a shot. In 5 years, he stands a good chance of being one of those "can you believe he wasn't drafted until the <x>th round?" guys.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Dia del DougO said:

I disagree with Hurd being strictly a role player prospect. He's limited somewhat now because he has played the position for such a short time. He has all the talent and physical skills to play any WR spot with more experience. He is an emerging talent in early development as a receiver. His best football is way ahead of him. He has a great frame, size and huge hands, most of all he has great football instincts. I hope he ends up with the Cowboys.

He can help a team immediately as a role player, but can grow to be an all around player with experience and learning more of the nuances of the game. I think using him for more than a few of carries as a RB is a waste. He should be a receiver, and I think it would be team using him as a gimmick player risks wasting the maximum level of his talent.
He's got a great frame, but he doesn't attack the ball like a great receiver. He doesn't separate like a great receiver. His speed is average/below average. His feel for the game is off the charts, particularly when he has the ball in space. And Hurd is going to bowl over some safeties and corners because he knows how to take a hit.

I have a hard time seeing him growing into a Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens, but who knows. I absolutely wish him the best, though. He came to Baylor surrounded by all this prima donna talk and did nothing but work hard and be a good teammate.
Feel The Floyd
How do you think he compares to Tavon Austin?
Mitch Henessey
Feel The Floyd said:

How do you think he compares to Tavon Austin?
About 9 inches taller
OldBurlyBear86
and not near as fast
EasyE
Mr Tulip said:

Wes and Jordy both had HOF careers.

Not really. Good, but not HoF level. I could see Hurd making a team, but limited experience, unproven hands, and 4.66 speed limit his prospects.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.