Football
Sponsored by

PAC 12 Network Isn't Rosy

6,564 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LTbear
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/report-pac-12-networks-revenue-drops-significantly-school-payouts-remain-paltry-compared-to-peers/
LIB,MR BEARS
Do they make another big push for schools that will bring viewers and dollars or, is everyone that fits that description already locked into a long-term contract?
LTbear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Do they make another big push for schools that will bring viewers and dollars or, is everyone that fits that description already locked into a long-term contract?

They don't have many options (and I say this as a rabid PAC fan, with degrees from CU and Berkeley). The only schools that would actually help them to any significant enough degree are OU and UT, but the PAC has no bargaining power right now. They're going to have to get creative about how to generate more revenue, consider selling the PACN, etc. they currently have no ability to lure any monetarily worthwhile school to join (BYU, Boise, etc won't cut it).
BayouCity
Does the Big 12 or Pac 12 break up first?
gobears20
Staff
But I thought Colorado was going to turn everything around lol
LTbear
gobears20 said:

But I thought Colorado was going to turn everything around lol
When Colorado joined, the PAC was in a position of power, with a lucrative new TV deal. That was really the PAC's one chance at stealing OU, UT or the like and they whiffed. Honestly I think there's a better chance that part of the PAC would join the Big XII at this stage (but that said, I'm talking 0.01% chance).
ABC BEAR
Nothing we can do to help them raise revenue, but we can increase their slice per school by taking Arizona & ASU into the Big XII.
GRIZZLY79ER
Its cultural...CFB isnt a priority except among a sliver of population out West...and it is losing interest fast. I think there is a chance that some PAC12 members drop out of P5 football altogether at some point. Cal being the lead there and perhaps CU close behind. Oregon State and Washington State may want to keep going but may just simply not be able to afford it.
ABC BEAR
GRIZZLY79ER said:

Its cultural...CFB isnt a priority except among a sliver of population out West...and it is losing interest fast. I think there is a chance that some PAC12 members drop out of P5 football altogether at some point. Cal being the lead there and perhaps CU close behind. Oregon State and Washington State may want to keep going but may just simply not be able to afford it.
It's still a good conference for baseball, swimming, volleyball and cornhole.
LTbear
GRIZZLY79ER said:

CU never will. Cal is a weird place and may be the "most" likely, even if it's not realistically going to happen (but many on the academic side here would like it; this place is the most divided/ had the most disconnect between academics and athletics of any campus I've been part of).
LTbear
GRIZZLY79ER said:

There's also no doubt CFB isn't as much of a priority out here, though I understand it too. I'm a rabid football fan, but if my team sucks and I could spend the day climbing a mountain and still get back for beer and the prime time night game... it's sometimes a hard choice to make.
Aliceinbubbleland
LTbear,

Not sure this link will work if you don't have a subscription but it's worth a try. CU may be closer than anyone other than Cal to put a fork in football.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/sports/colorado-football.html
LTbear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

LTbear,

Not sure this link will work if you don't have a subscription but it's worth a try. CU may be closer than anyone other than Cal to put a fork in football.

We (CU alumni) have all read the articles. CU isn't close. There are two regents who have long been known to express anti-football sentiment, and one of the two actually loves football but is a young gun who uses hot issue talking points to make a name for himself. They're rare exceptions, not the norm. The administration, faculty, and alumni overwhelmingly support the Buffs, and the huge donation spike the university received after their recent 10-win year didn't hurt either.
GRIZZLY79ER
Aliceinbubbleland said:

LTbear,

Yep...
LTbear
GRIZZLY79ER said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

LTbear,

Yep...

Nah, see above.
Redbrickbear
Honestly New England and the West coast are becoming lost to college football.

And yes yes I know USC and Oregon....and blah blah blah.

I'm talking long term fan interest, students caring passionately about football, fans willing to pay growing ticket prices, actual butts in seats, university officials willing to keep forking out big bucks to the programs, etc

College football's future is in the Midwest, Dixie, and the Texas-Oklahoma corridor.

The Big 12 is better positioned to ride the coming storm of disruption in college football than the PAC or ACC.

Provided the Big 12 can stick together, stay on the same page, and get some decent leadership.
LTbear
Redbrickbear said:

Honestly New England and the West coast are becoming lost to college football.

And yes yes I know USC and Oregon....and blah blah blah.

I'm talking long term fan interest, students caring passionately about football, fans willing to pay growing ticket prices, actual butts in seats, university officials willing to keep forking out big bucks to the programs, etc

College football's future is in the Midwest, Dixie, and the Texas-Oklahoma corridor.

The Big 12 is better positioned to ride the coming storm of disruption in college football than the PAC or ACC.

Provided the Big 12 can stick together, stay on the same page, and get some decent leadership.
Mostly true but the Big XII isn't really as secure as the ACC right now, simply because the ACC has their rights locked up for so long with ESPN. The Big XII's TV right expiring within a few years naturally makes it more vulnerable.
PartyBear
LTbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

LTbear,

We (CU alumni) have all read the articles. CU isn't close. There are two regents who have long been known to express anti-football sentiment, and one of the two actually loves football but is a young gun who uses hot issue talking points to make a name for himself. They're rare exceptions, not the norm. The administration, faculty, and alumni overwhelmingly support the Buffs, and the huge donation spike the university received after their recent 10-win year didn't hurt either.
Ok well whatever you do, do not mention their names or our Regents will try to recruit them to our board.
OldBurlyBear86
NFL in Los Angeles is killing both ratings and attendance.

****ty performance by the two largest bacon makers (USC & UCLA) does not help either.

I would love to nab both Utah and Zona schools and dump WVU
LTbear
PartyBear said:

LTbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

LTbear,

Ok well whatever you do, do not mention their names or our Regents will try to recruit them to our board.
Good call.
PartyBear
Both Utah schools? The Utah schools would add nothing to the XII. The Pac probably really didnt want Utah but was stuck with saving face when they took CU and then Texas, OU said, ok on second thought we are staying where we are and btw Tech and OSU have to as well since we arent doing anything.
PartyBear
LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

LTbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

LTbear,

Good call.
BTW I find it highly doubtful either of your other two alma maters will be giving up P5 football.
LTbear
PartyBear said:

LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

LTbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

LTbear,

Good call.
BTW I find it highly doubtful either of your other two alma maters will be giving up P5 football.
Colorado certainly won't. Cal, in some weird world, might be the most ideologically likely to think of such a move, but the new chancellor here is very athletics friendly, with a particular interest in football, and the university also invested hundreds of millions in the stadium recently (which they'll be paying off for a long time), so that makes it a bigger leap.
OldBurlyBear86
PartyBear said:

Both Utah schools? The Utah schools would add nothing to the XII. The Pac probably really didnt want Utah but was stuck with saving face when they took CU and then Texas, OU said, ok on second thought we are staying where we are and btw Tech and OSU have to as well since we arent doing anything.
Both Utah schools, population base is growing like crazy.
LTbear
OldBurlyBear86 said:

PartyBear said:

I mean, not really. Most projections have the entire state not even reaching 7 million until around 2065.
Redbrickbear
OldBurlyBear86 said:

NFL in Los Angeles is killing both ratings and attendance.

****ty performance by the two largest bacon makers (USC & UCLA) does not help either.

I would love to nab both Utah and Zona schools and dump WVU
That's NFL football

We are talking college..........two very different animals.

I also said New England is almost a lost cause for college football.......yet the Patriots are killing it and one of the most successful sport franchises in the world.
Texasjeremy
ESTIMATED GROWTH SINCE 2010 CENSUS

18,421,896 - United States (+6.0%)
10,198,204 - South (+8.9%)
6,048,110 - West (+8.4%)
1,381,743 - Midwest (+2.1%)
793,839 - Northeast (+1.4%)

3,556,284 - Texas (+14.1%)
2,498,015 - Florida (+13.3%)
2,303,089 - California (+6.2%)
848,137 - North Carolina (+8.9%)
831,822 - Georgia (+8.6%)
811,051 - Washington (+12.1%)
779,629 - Arizona (+12.2%)
666,368 - Colorado (+13.2%)
516,661 - Virginia (+6.5%)
458,763 - South Carolina (+9.9%)
423,905 - Tennessee (+6.7%)
397,220 - Utah (+14.4%)
359,639 - Oregon (+9.4%)
354,520 - Massachusetts (+5.4%)
333,841 - Nevada (+12.4%)
307,254 - Minnesota (+5.8%)
269,166 - Maryland (+4.7%)
208,076 - Indiana (+3.2%)
191,728 - Oklahoma (+5.1%)
186,626 - Idaho (+11.9%)
164,107 - New York (+0.8%)
152,938 - Ohio (+1.3%)
137,525 - Missouri (+2.3%)
129,035 - Kentucky (+3.0%)
126,606 - Louisiana (+2.8%)
126,582 - Wisconsin (+2.2%)
116,626 - New Jersey (+1.3%)
112,275 - Michigan (+1.1%)
109,790 - Iowa (+3.6%)
108,135 - Alabama (+2.3%)
104,681 - Pennsylvania (+0.8%)
102,927 - Nebraska (+5.6%)
100,732 - Washington DC (+16.7%)
97,907 - Arkansas (+3.4%)
87,486 - North Dakota (+13.0%)
72,890 - Montana (+7.4%)
69,237 - Delaware (+7.7%)
60,190 - Hawaii (+4.4%)
58,387 - Kansas (+2.0%)
39,988 - New Hampshire (+3.0%)
36,249 - New Mexico (+1.8%)
27,207 - Alaska (+3.8%)
19,233 - Mississippi (+0.6%)
14,111 - Wyoming (+2.5%)
10,043 - Maine (+0.8%)
4,748 - Rhode Island (+0.5%)
558 - Vermont (+0.1%)
-1,432 - Connecticut (0.0%)
-47,162 - West Virginia (-2.5%)
-89,552 - Illinois (-0.7%)
-530,636 - Puerto Rico (-14.2%)
Texasjeremy
% OF THE US LIVING IN EACH REGION

37.1% - South
23.3% - West
21.7% - Midwest
17.9% - Northeast

38.1% - South
23.8% - West
20.9% - Midwest
17.2% - Northeast
PartyBear
I would have thought Texas would have grown by more than 3.5 million over the past 9 years.
OldBurlyBear86
LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

PartyBear said:

I mean, not really. Most projections have the entire state not even reaching 7 million until around 2065.
I mean, really. Utah is the 3rd fastest growing state in the country and they have national brand in BYU. Might as well kick out Kansas, Iowa and W. Va. since they are already smaller than Utah, have less disposable income, and are not growing.

So really.

Almost forgot, Utah is bigger than Arkansas as well and the Mormons have better hygiene.
LTbear
OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

PartyBear said:

I mean, really. Utah is the 3rd fastest growing state in the country and they have national brand in BYU. Might as well kick out Kansas, Iowa and W. Va. since they are already smaller than Utah, have less disposable income, and are not growing.

So really.

Almost forgot, Utah is bigger than Arkansas as well and the Mormons have better hygiene.
That high rate of growth isn't translating to a crazy boom in actual population though - it's still a very small population state, and the idea of taking two schools from that same population just really doesn't make much sense, especially when so many people have already pointed out the financial constraint on the Big XII as is with our double-dipping into multiple small-market states.
LTbear
Texasjeremy said:

ESTIMATED GROWTH SINCE 2010 CENSUS

666,368 - Colorado (+13.2%)
72,890 - Montana (+7.4%)
27,207 - Alaska (+3.8%)
14,111 - Wyoming (+2.5%)

Shame that Colorado is growing so fast, but at least my other potential long-term homes are still pretty low on the list.
PartyBear
To put it in perspective since 2010 when Utah joined the PAC, Texas has grown by more than Utah's current population and I bet 80% of that growth has occurred along the 35 corridor between DFW and SA.
LTbear
PartyBear said:

To put it in perspective since 2010 when Utah joined the PAC, Texas has grown by more than Utah's current population and I bet 80% of that growth has occurred along the 35 corridor between DFW and SA.
Timbear
The potheads are flocking to Colorado.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.