Football
Sponsored by

PAC 12 Network Isn't Rosy

6,647 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LTbear
LTbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timbear said:

The potheads are flocking to Colorado.
That already happened, and I was there for part of it. At least now they have more options of where to flock to.
OldBurlyBear86
LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

PartyBear said:

Both Utah schools? The Utah schools would add nothing to the XII. The Pac probably really didnt want Utah but was stuck with saving face when they took CU and then Texas, OU said, ok on second thought we are staying where we are and btw Tech and OSU have to as well since we arent doing anything.
Both Utah schools, population base is growing like crazy.
I mean, not really. Most projections have the entire state not even reaching 7 million until around 2065.
I mean, really. Utah is the 3rd fastest growing state in the country and they have national brand in BYU. Might as well kick out Kansas, Iowa and W. Va. since they are already smaller than Utah, have less disposable income, and are not growing.

So really.

Almost forgot, Utah is bigger than Arkansas as well and the Mormons have better hygiene.
That high rate of growth isn't translating to a crazy boom in actual population though - it's still a very small population state, and the idea of taking two schools from that same population just really doesn't make much sense, especially when so many people have already pointed out the financial constraint on the Big XII as is with our double-dipping into multiple small-market states.
LOL, the conversation was about adding teams and poaching the Pac since their bellwether teams are not drawing attendance or eyeballs. I realize our commissioner wont do anything, hence the hypothetical nature.
LTbear
OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

PartyBear said:

Both Utah schools? The Utah schools would add nothing to the XII. The Pac probably really didnt want Utah but was stuck with saving face when they took CU and then Texas, OU said, ok on second thought we are staying where we are and btw Tech and OSU have to as well since we arent doing anything.
I mean, not really. Most projections have the entire state not even reaching 7 million until around 2065.
I mean, really. Utah is the 3rd fastest growing state in the country and they have national brand in BYU. Might as well kick out Kansas, Iowa and W. Va. since they are already smaller than Utah, have less disposable income, and are not growing.

So really.

Almost forgot, Utah is bigger than Arkansas as well and the Mormons have better hygiene.
That high rate of growth isn't translating to a crazy boom in actual population though - it's still a very small population state, and the idea of taking two schools from that same population just really doesn't make much sense, especially when so many people have already pointed out the financial constraint on the Big XII as is with our double-dipping into multiple small-market states.
LOL, the conversation was about adding teams and poaching the Pac since their bellwether teams are not drawing attendance or eyeballs. I realize our commissioner wont do anything, hence the hypothetical nature.

Right. And I was simply pointing out that double-dipping from the state of Utah wouldn't be a poach worth poaching.
OldBurlyBear86
LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

PartyBear said:

So really.

Right. And I was simply pointing out that double-dipping from the state of Utah wouldn't be a poach worth poaching.
You are off track, you know that though. Getting those 4 would be a huge coup.
LTbear
OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

LTbear said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

PartyBear said:

So really.

You are off track, you know that though. Getting those 4 would be a huge coup.

Agree to disagree big boy. All four would be nice, but any scenario that's just the two Utah schools I don't think adds enough tv value to raise the payouts of all Big XII schools. BYU was not lucrative enough or problematic enough to not get an invite last time.

But hey, none of it matters anyways.
boognish_bear
PartyBear
I think the best thing for the Pac would have been to strike when the iron was hot and to have gone ahead and taken Baylor instead of CU when it was packaged together as all XII Texas schools going to the Pac. That could have been a clean quick move just like the Big 8's move in 94. They got bogged down though by getting ahead of themselves in inviting only CU first before negotiations ended with the XII Texas schools. A&M started thinking on second thought they would rather reach out to the SEC and not go to the PAC. Texas and OU upon thinking about it more decided they were fine financially with a XII conference continuing on and the Pac was then stuck with having given CU an invite so they would have the argument that they have no space for Baylor. Then they had to throw a bone to Utah to get to an even number 14. That was actually all a debacle for the Pac.

I'm not saying I blame them about Baylor. At that time Baylor had 4 winning seasons over the previous 20 years and was rarely on national tv during the previous 20 years and the perception was still that the program was in decay. I'm not trying to over state this by making Baylor sound like a blue blood. It is far from that. But nearly a decade later, Baylor now has somewhat of a national brand, Baylor is somewhat a household name around the country. None of that had started yet in June of 10 when this was all going down.
boognish_bear
Beaneater
boognish_bear said:

sounds good to me.
LTbear
PartyBear said:

I think the best thing for the Pac would have been to strike when the iron was hot and to have gone ahead and taken Baylor instead of CU when it was packaged together as all XII Texas schools going to the Pac. That could have been a clean quick move just like the Big 8's move in 94. They got bogged down though by getting ahead of themselves in inviting only CU first before negotiations ended with the XII Texas schools. A&M started thinking on second thought they would rather reach out to the SEC and not go to the PAC. Texas and OU upon thinking about it more decided they were fine financially with a XII conference continuing on and the Pac was then stuck with having given CU an invite so they would have the argument that they have no space for Baylor. Then they had to throw a bone to Utah to get to an even number 14. That was actually all a debacle for the Pac.

I'm not saying I blame them about Baylor. At that time Baylor had 4 winning seasons over the previous 20 years and was rarely on national tv during the previous 20 years and the perception was still that the program was in decay. I'm not trying to over state this by making Baylor sound like a blue blood. It is far from that. But nearly a decade later, Baylor now has somewhat of a national brand, Baylor is somewhat a household name around the country. None of that had started yet in June of 10 when this was all going down.

The PAC was always going to take CU- it's a western AAU school with great research output, fits the PAC profile, had tons of alumni in Cali, and had wanted into the PAC for more than a decade. If need be, the PAC could have negotiated further and put Baylor in Aggy's spot since Aggy wanted SECSECSEC anyways.

Oh well. And Utah got the PAC to 12, by the way, not 14.
Baylorbears111
LTbear said:

PartyBear said:

The PAC was always going to take CU- it's a western AAU school with great research output, fits the PAC profile, had tons of alumni in Cali, and had wanted into the PAC for more than a decade. If need be, the PAC could have negotiated further and put Baylor in Aggy's spot since Aggy wanted SECSECSEC anyways.

Oh well. And Utah got the PAC to 12, by the way, not 14.

I think he is correct though about the Colorado invite being a mistake. TAMU didn't have time to do anything until Baylor through the brakes on the whole thing. That would have been avoided had they just included the Big 12 south as a whole in the first place. Colorado wasn't going anywhere and they are a much smaller fish than landing Texas and OU. You do what needs to be done to close the big deal and then you could clean up the rest.
boognish_bear
EK bear
boognish_bear said:

That's incredible. It's incredible that so many smart people would sign off on a decision to spend so much money on an office in effectively the most expensive spot in the world.

Move it to San Jose at least lol
Wapiti
EK bear said:

boognish_bear said:

That's incredible. It's incredible that so many smart people would sign off on a decision to spend so much money on an office in effectively the most expensive spot in the world.

Move it to San Jose at least lol

My company's HQ is in San Francisco, but have in the last couple of years began to force people to relocate out of state to reduce expenses.
LTbear
Nm
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.