Story Poster
Photo by Todd Nickle
Baylor Football

Lombardi: Stidham a top-round pick if he had stayed to play for Rhule

May 3, 2019

With experience as an executive the in front offices with the 49ers, Browns, Eagles, Raiders and Patriors, Michael Lombardi is one of the most knowledgable members of the media when it comes to covering the NFL.

SicEm365

In Lombardi’s podcast The GM Shuffle, he gave a sizzling hot take on the newest backup quarterback for the New England Patriots and former Baylor and Auburn starting quarterback Jarrett Stidham. Stidham, a five-star signee with the Bears out of the 2015 recruiting class, transferred to Auburn after Baylor head coach Art Briles was fired in May of 2016. 

After initally annoucning his to stay and finish his career in Waco via Instagram, Stidham later backtracked and spent a fall semester at McLennan Community College in Waco before heading to Auburn to play for Gus Malzahn. Stidham had the chance to return to Baylor after his semester at MCC, but decided against it despite Baylor hiring Matt Rhule in early December of that year.

Despite being classified as arguably most natural and gifted passer in the draft, Stidham fell to the end of the fourth round. According to Lombardi, had he simply stayed in Waco and played for Rhule and former NFL quarterback coach Glenn Thomas, he would have been off the board in the first two rounds.

“Really if the kid was smart, he would have stayed at Baylor with Matt Rhule,” Lombardi said. “Because if he plays with Matt Rhule at Baylor, he’s probably going to throw. He probably would have been a first or second-round pick. He’s easily better than Daniel Jones if he plays in an offense that would have highlighted what he can do.”

Jones was the No. 6-overall pick in the draft. Stidham was the seventh quarterback taken behind Kyler Murray (Oklahoma), Jones (Duke), Dwanye Haskins (Ohio State), Drew Lock (Missouri), Will Grier (West Virginia) and Ryan Finley (NC State).

With three years remaining of eligibilty, Stidham’s departure left Baylor to rely on true freshman quarterback Zach Smith to take over for an injured Seth Russell in 2016. Smith would begin the 2017 season as the backup to transfer Anu Solomon before eventually moving back to the startingn lineup when Solomon was sidelined for the season with injury. Smith was then replaced by true freshman Charlie Brewer and opted to transfer in the offseason. 

Brewer, Rhule’s first high school quarterback recruit at Baylor, threw for 3,019 yards and 19 touchdowns as a starter in 2018 while adding 375 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground.

Stidham threw for 2,794 yards with 18 touchdowns in his final season at Auburn with 72 rushing yards and one score.

Discussion from...

Lombardi: Stidham a top-round pick if he had stayed to play for Rhule

26,990 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mahan1979
KSGeo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After '18, that's probably right. Depends on his health after '17. It's a fun thought but I dunno that I would've bet my future on that first O-line either.
canoso
But would he have gone to the Patriots, where he has a much better chance for success than guys that get drafted by arguably the worst organizations in football. Washington Redskins or NY Jets, anyone?

More $$$ (initially) and the momentary prestige of being a higher pick cannot compare to what Stidham is now positioned to do in the NFL assuming he doesn't have injury issues.
oldjarhead
I really liked Jarrett Stidham, when he was at Baylor. He has super talent. During the turmoil that followed, the alleged sexual assault scandal, I can understand why he felt he had to leave ,but I wish he had stayed at Baylor. He may not get quite the lucrative contract at first by being drafted in the fourth round, but soon, I think he just might be something to see, learning and playing withTom Brady.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
oldjarhead said:

I really liked Jarrett Stidham, when he was at Baylor. He has super talent. During the turmoil that followed, the alleged sexual assault scandal, I can understand why he felt he had to leave ,but I wish he had stayed at Baylor. He may not get quite the lucrative contract at first by being drafted in the fourth round, but soon, I think he just might be something to see, learning and playing withTom Brady.
RGIII has made over 30 million in the NFL
Stidham could make 2.8 in his first three years

That is the difference in the 1st rounder and 4th rounder.
boognish_bear
If he had stayed he would have had Coach Grobe the first year and then played behind that decimated OL the next year. Not sure how that would have worked out for him.
LIB,MR BEARS
Had he stayed, this article would be about the loyal young man who took medical retirement and dreams lost. On the other hand, THEE would be happy.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Had he stayed, this article would be about the loyal young man who took medical retirement and dreams lost. On the other hand, THEE would be happy.

The only QB to retire was Anu and he had concussion issues prior to arrival. Did any others retire?
SATXBear
Stidham got bad advice from Briles. Looks like things will work out for Stidham anyways because of his superior talent.
Grizz Air
Hindsight is 20/20. Shoulda stayed, but oh well. At least he was a "star" that burnt out bright in the SECSECSEC.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Grizz Air
SATXBear said:

Stidham got bad advice from Briles. Looks like things will work out for Stidham anyways because of his superior talent.

I think the Briles clan (and staff) was looking to burn the whole thing to the ground as an act of revenge against the BOR. They got some revenge. But it appears the BOR had the last laugh and Stidham lost million$$$ in the crossfire.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

I think the Briles clan (and staff) was looking to burn the whole thing to the ground as an act of revenge against the BOR. They got some revenge. But it appears the BOR had the last laugh and Stidham lost million$$$ in the crossfire.
Sexual assault at Baylor was/ is an institutional problem. The football program took the bullet and the blame. It is the BOR that burned down Baylor and scurried for cover under the rocks. Young Mr. Stidham is going to be just fine and probably saved his football career by leaving the Baylor **** show.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
SATXBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Sexual assault at Baylor was/ is an institutional problem. The football program took the bullet and the blame. It is the BOR that burned down Baylor and scurried for cover under the rocks. Young Mr. Stidham is going to be just fine and probably saved his football career by leaving the Baylor **** show.

Wrong as usual. The PH investigation uncovered all the problems of the Briles regime coincidentally. The football program's problems were a complete separate issue from the school's Title 9 issues. The BOR correctly made the decision that Briles needed to go.
LIB,MR BEARS
SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Wrong as usual. The PH investigation uncovered all the problems of the Briles regime coincidentally. The football program's problems were a complete separate issue from the school's Title 9 issues. The BOR correctly made the decision that Briles needed to go.
I get dizzy when I spin that way. Take a seat before you fall Reagan.
DustyM
SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

LMAO, thanks for the laugh, I needed it.
SATXBear
Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

This was the other half of the equation why Stidham was advised to leave. Agree.
canoso
I've always been happy for RGIII's financial success as a pro.

But, Tom Brady was a 6th rounder. What did he make in his first 3 years? How much has he made to date?

I'm just gonna hide over here in these bushes and see what happens with Stidham.
SATXBear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Continue to stick your head in the sand if you think Briles was some kind of innocent scape goat.
DustyM
SATXBear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Continue to stick your head in the sand if you think Briles was some kind of innocent scape goat.
Grab your boots, its getting deep in here. Be careful, your bucket is about to overflow with all of the carp your trying to spread.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
canoso said:

But, Tom Brady was a 6th rounder. What did he make in his first 3 years? How much has he made to date?

I'm just gonna hide over here in these bushes and see what happens with Stidham.
And Brady may have never played if Drew didn't get his sternum broken.

Life is about the opportunities you see and take advantage of.

Good luck to him either way.
Aberzombie1892
Brian Ethridge said:

canoso said:

This. Brady is one of the, if not the, best QB of all time in the NFL, but let's not pretend the exception to the rule is the rule.

Using NFL statistics in regard to the average tenure of NFL players, Stidham will likely be out of the NFL by the end of year 4, and, given that that is the case, there is a significant difference in compensation between getting drafted in the first round and in the fourth round.
SATXBear
Just trying to pull you guys back from fantasy land.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Aberzombie1892 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

canoso said:

This. Brady is one of the, if not the, best QB of all time in the NFL, but let's not pretend the exception to the rule is the rule.

Using NFL statistics in regard to the average tenure of NFL players, Stidham will likely be out of the NFL by the end of year 4, and, given that that is the case, there is a significant difference in compensation between getting drafted in the first round and in the fourth round.

Bryce is a good example of being far ahead of a regular job but he now has one after 3-4 years in the NFL as a 4th round pick.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Are you a Democrat? Maybe Nancy Pelosi's nephew? Just curious.

-- Barack Obama
SATXBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Nope. Just an average alumnus who loves and supports Baylor University.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

I used to be one of those. May of 2015 (should actually be 2016,- my bad!) and all that followed changed all that for me. Your blind loyalty I am sure is greatly appreciated. Baylor is banking on Alums like you.

-- Barack Obama
SATXBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

I used to be one of those. May of 2015 and all that followed changed all that for me. Your blind loyalty I am sure is greatly appreciated. Baylor is banking on Alums like you.

Your loss
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

I used to be one of those. May of 2015 and all that followed changed all that for me. Your blind loyalty I am sure is greatly appreciated. Baylor is banking on Alums like you.

Your loss
Maybe so. Life is short and all about decisions. I am feeling pretty good about mine. You seem to be good with yours. We both win. Life is good.

-- Barack Obama
Timbear
Saxt, no one is saying that ANYONE is innocent in the Baylor dibacle. So quit lying. The problem is that the BOR, who have micro-managed Baylor for decades with no accountability, had lack of Institutional control, and have only fought to protect themselves while succeeding in making football and Briles appear to be the only guilty ones. So how about you having a balanced view for a change.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Damn... you quit before the 2015 season following a Big 12 title? That Cotton Bowl must have done a job on you.
SATXBear
Timbear said:

Saxt, no one is saying that ANYONE is innocent in the Baylor dibacle. So quit lying. The problem is that the BOR, who have micro-managed Baylor for decades with no accountability, had lack of Institutional control, and have only fought to protect themselves while succeeding in making football and Briles appear to be the only guilty ones. So how about you having a balanced view for a change.

I never said the BOR were not at fault for what happened. They were asleep at the wheel. They did the right thing firing Briles though. You need to move on and quit making the BOR the centerpiece for everything wrong in your life. Your posts get tiresome.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Brian Ethridge said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

Damn... you quit before the 2015 season following a Big 12 title? That Cotton Bowl must have done a job on you.
Smart ass. The Briles firing in May of 2016. We were at the Cotton Bowl. Spectacular football game that we came out on the losing end. It is the leadership of Baylor killing Baylor Football that did a job on me. We are now the Texas Bowl Champs so all is well in the world. I will Rah Rah for Coach Rhule and our little football team til the day that I die. I just won't be there in person. I will let you and all the other high dollar Baylor Alums fight over the premium seats at McLane. I have paid my penance. My wife and I will cheer from afar and gonna enjoy life.

SIC 'EM BEARS!!!!!

-- Barack Obama
CHP Bear
SATXBear said:

Timbear said:

I never said the BOR were not at fault for what happened. They were asleep at the wheel. They did the right thing firing Briles though. You need to move on and quit making the BOR the centerpiece for everything wrong in your life. Your posts get tiresome.
Asleep at the wheel. Pretty mild.
bear2be2
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

You're blindly loyal to ****heel football coach. Do you really not see the irony here?

For the record, I think blind loyalty to anyone/anything is stupid, which is why I can acknowledge the void at all levels of leadership during Baylor's scandal and understand why significant changes needed to occur.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
bear2be2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

SATXBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Grizz Air said:

SATXBear said:

You're blindly loyal to ****heel football coach. Do you really not see the irony here?

For the record, I think blind loyalty to anyone/anything is stupid, which is why I can acknowledge the void at all levels of leadership during Baylor's scandal and understand why significant changes needed to occur.
Loyalty in this world is way overrated. It applies to coaches, universities, and companies. Don't invest your heart and soul in any of them or you may find yourself very disappointed. Lesson learned. Take care of and believe in your family. You will never go wrong.

-- Barack Obama
CHP Bear
Article is an opinion piece. Who's to know? When I finished the article I thought back to what my Dad always said, "If the dog hadn't stopped to take a ship he'd of caught the rabbit."
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.