Football
Sponsored by

Fox Sports to make 11AM starts their prime game of the week

9,482 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Fox plans to play its 'big' college football game at 11 a.m. on Saturdays. What does that mean for local schools?

Plan on some of the best Big 12 football games starting early this season, at least the ones broadcast on Fox.

For fans, that could mean adjusted travel and abbreviated tail-gaiting, among other adjustments.
During this week's "upfront" presentations by the networks to advertisers and the press, Fox Sports announced that its best college games for the upcoming season will be placed into the 11 a.m. Central time slot.

Fox representatives had shared the new strategy with Big 12 athletic directors during the recent spring meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz. Fox is going with a newly revamped college football pregame show featuring Urban Meyer and Reggie Bush, among others, making the 11 a.m. time slot crucial.

Since it's highly doubtful that any Fox games from the Pac-12 will be forced into a 9 a.m. kickoff, that leaves the Big 12 and Big Ten to fill the early time slot.

"They did share with our ADs that they want a strong presence in that time slot," Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda said Tuesday. "What they said is they want to own the early [TV] window."

The early kickoffs aren't popular with local merchants or fans, who have to arrive early. Oklahoma has complained about early kickoffs, especially for home games, as recently as last year's Big 12 meetings in Las Colinas.

"It's a very real issue," Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione said at the time. "I'm just upset at the lack of sensitivity."

Burda said Big 12 ADs understand the Fox approach but did make it clear that --because of geography and weather - there's a big difference between 11 a.m. kickoffs in September and November.

Fox will be alternating its top Big 12 selections with ESPN with the first three week's games to be locked in by June 1. ESPN is expected to announce its selection this week, perhaps as early as Wednesday. LSU at Texas would be one potential hot property for both Fox and ESPN.

The annual Texas-Oklahoma game in Dallas would be an obvious target for a Fox 11 a.m. kickoff.
BaylorOkie
Seems to be an effort to get viewers for its pregame show that Fox wants to compete with ESPN Game Day. They must be counting on people tuning in to the show in advance of the prime game.
Grumpy
Hey, look on the bright side: we won't get the 11:00 time slot as much anymore!
Michibear
Grumpy said:

Exactly my thought. Gonna be a lot more games at 2:30 in the midday heat.
Dia del DougO
I'm in favor of not having 11am kickoffs for Baylor games.

I miss the old days when most games were at 1PM or 2:30pm, and the schedule was set well ahead of time.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
CorsicanaBear
There should be no football games in Texas from late August to mid October that start before 6pm. Games in the upper mid-west should all start at 11 or 1 after mid September. Converting games to a national media product means there is no room to accommodate regional climate differences that make a difference to fan comfort. College football should be a regional sport with a national presence, like MLB, not a national sport like NFL. Unfortunately our Media Overlords think otherwise.
Illigitimus non carborundum
trey3216
Dia del DougO said:

I'm in favor of not having 11am kickoffs for Baylor games.

I miss the old days when most games were at 1PM or 2:30pm, and the schedule was set well ahead of time.
A schedule set well ahead of time means you aren't on tv.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Aliceinbubbleland
When Baylor and SWC football was run by Texans we sensibly had 8pm kickoffs in September until late October. Then 2pm games. TV ruined that. Starting with our Syracuse game way back in the 60's. They don't care if the stadium is half empty and it's 110 on the field by damn. They have ADVERTISEMENTS. Who needs fans?
Redbrickbear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

When Baylor and SWC football was run by Texans we sensibly had 8pm kickoffs in September until late October. Then 2pm games. TV ruined that. Starting with our Syracuse game way back in the 60's. They don't care if the stadium is half empty and it's 110 on the field by damn. They have ADVERTISEMENTS. Who needs fans?
Correct

They don't care.

If the fans were in charge all games in Texas and Oklahoma would be 6pm or 7pm kickoffs during August and September.

Just too hot for day games
boognish_bear
Sailor Bear
BaylorOkie said:

Seems to be an effort to get viewers for its pregame show that Fox wants to compete with ESPN Game Day. They must be counting on people tuning in to the show in advance of the prime game.
I think you're right, but it seems like a flawed strategy to me. I mean, how many people are tuning in to Game Day because that awesome Purdue/Rutgers matchup starts at 11:00?

What makes more sense to me is putting something on TV at 11:00 that people will give a damn about. Previously, no good football existed until 2:30 every week. This takes care of that problem.
Sailor Bear
Grumpy said:

User Name checks out.
trey3216
Bearish said:

BaylorOkie said:

I think you're right, but it seems like a flawed strategy to me. I mean, how many people are tuning in to Game Day because that awesome Purdue/Rutgers matchup starts at 11:00?

What makes more sense to me is putting something on TV at 11:00 that people will give a damn about. Previously, no good football existed until 2:30 every week. This takes care of that problem.
Your actual point is the point. The early games typically get terrible ratings. They toyed around with a few decent matchups last year in the early slot and those games got solid ratings (imagine that, people want to watch good football). They figure if they can bump some of the key matchups to the early kick, they'll be able to generate more ad revenue during that slot. If they can maintain other good matchups in the afternoon/evening slot, then they win by way of gaining more viewership during the crap time slot than they lose in the prime slot.
historian
Bearish said:

BaylorOkie said:

Flaw in your reasoning: Fox would be more likely to put the Ohio State or Michigan game in that slot. The key phrase was prime game. I don't see how this can work. Not everyone will be watching TV on Saturday mornings and the large fan bases will want their games on prime time.

Personally, I would prefer Baylor games in the evening but I'll take what I can get. And as far as the afternoon sun, it won't matter to me as much if my seat is in the proper section of McLane and have the cover for at least a half.
outside observer
I live out here on the west coast and this decision assures Pac XII fans that even their best games will not get a prime matchup on Fox.

I've also noticed that Fox will no longer broadcast the Pac XII and Big XII title games. But they are paying a pretty penny for the little ten title game. Because of these decisions I'm wondering if Fox and the little ten are moving towards an exclusive contract with the little ten. Time will tell.
Bubear2020
I wonder if Fox is doing it to avoid competition with ESPN. ESPNs networks are going to continue to let games get better as the day goes on. Maybe Fox flips that to increase viewership. Let's just hope the homecoming game is on Fox
historian
Bubear2020 said:

I wonder if Fox is doing it to avoid competition with ESPN. ESPNs networks are going to continue to let games get better as the day goes on. Maybe Fox flips that to increase viewership. Let's just hope the homecoming game is on Fox
And in the evening. An 11 am kickoff would really mess up Homecoming events--especially the parade.
OsoCoreyell
As they say in the old country, if you dance with the devil, you have to pay the piper with something besides gold.

TV and its interests ARE college football, these days. If you want the big $$, then you do what the TV guys say will maximize the TV audience and the TV revenue. Yes, it is not great for the live experience or tailgating. But those don't pay the bills. I don't love it, but that's the game we're playing now.

On a different note, this is a disaster for the PAC XII. They'll get even less TV $ and exposure. That conference is in trouble.
trey3216
OsoCoreyell said:

As they say in the old country, if you dance with the devil, you have to pay the piper with something besides gold.

TV and its interests ARE college football, these days. If you want the big $$, then you do what the TV guys say will maximize the TV audience and the TV revenue. Yes, it is not great for the live experience or tailgating. But those don't pay the bills. I don't love it, but that's the game we're playing now.

On a different note, this is a disaster for the PAC XII. They'll get even less TV $ and exposure. That conference is in trouble.
Yep. This could actually be a ploy by Fox to expedite the bloated contract they have with that conference, preferring to stay in the Central and Eastern time zones
Doc Holliday
Grumpy said:

Isn't this technically looking at the dark side?
Bubear2020
Last years homecoming game was at 11:00. Students had to arrive to the parade by as early as 3:00 am
PacificBear
Go Tigers
Waco1947
Texas is hot at 11:00 am.
Waco1947
historian
The great thing about McLane Stadium is that it is designed to take advantage of the river so that if there is a wind (& in Texas that can be a big "if"), then it can be refreshing on the hot days.
kenjily
CorsicanaBear said:

There should be no football games in Texas from late August to mid October that start before 6pm. Games in the upper mid-west should all start at 11 or 1 after mid September. Converting games to a national media product means there is no room to accommodate regional climate differences that make a difference to fan comfort. College football ->Dafont Showbox FileHippo should be a regional sport with a national presence, like MLB, not a national sport like NFL. Unfortunately our Media Overlords think otherwise.
The early kickoffs aren't popular with local merchants or fans, who have to arrive early. Oklahoma has complained about early kickoffs, especially for home games, as recently as last year's Big 12 meetings in Las Colinas.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Yep. This could actually be a ploy by Fox to expedite the bloated contract they have with that conference, preferring to stay in the Central and Eastern time zones

Seems everyone is putting a hurt on the PAC 12.
Michibear
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Biggest culprit is the PAC 12 itself, especially their commish.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Michibear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Biggest culprit is the PAC 12 itself, especially their commish.
And all the promises made only to be broken.

Baylor is pulling in over 10 million more per year than the highest Pac 12 school.
BaylorRocks
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Precisely. Big time college football is a corporate business, run by organizations that also offer educational degrees. Often times, it is what is keeping the entire institution afloat and tuition somewhat manageable for the 99% of others.

But, hey, Bernie is going to make college free so things are looking up........
historian
zunooreo said:

You get what you pay for. Actually, if the government does it (whatever it is), you usually pay more and get less.
Waco1947
historian said:

zunooreo said:

You get what you pay for. Actually, if the government does it (whatever it is), you usually pay more and get less.

Nope. I drive on excellent highways and drink good ol Lake water- both provided by the Federal Government.
I also have an excellent social security plan and Medicare.
All provided by the fed
Waco1947
Aliceinbubbleland
Waco1947 said:

historian said:

zunooreo said:

Nope. I drive on excellent highways and drink good ol Lake water- both provided by the Federal Government.
All provided by the fed
And just how do you think those facilities were paid for? It sure as hell wasn't donations from your church.
Waco1947
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Waco1947 said:

historian said:

zunooreo said:

All provided by the fed
And just how do you think those facilities were paid for? It sure as hell wasn't donations from your church.
Apparently you didn't read my statement Poopyhead. I said the fed.
Waco1947
Aliceinbubbleland
Waco1947 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Waco1947 said:

historian said:

zunooreo said:

All provided by the fed
Apparently you didn't read my statement Poopyhead. I said the fed.
Apparently you are the poopyhead. Hint. Taxes pay for government facilities. TAXES. Something your profession evades but the rest of us pay.
BaylorOkie
Do you think pastors are exempt from income tax liability?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.