Football
Sponsored by

Brewer "Highest Graded" QB in B12

3,164 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Shakesbear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure what the metric is...but I like any list that puts him ahead of Sam

BUbearinARK
Exactly perferctly placed
BearFan33
IMO Brewer is very accurate passer, esp in the short and mid range passing. He's fast and tough too. Maybe those are the metrics.
Dman
Charlie's a stud. Can't wait to see his progression this year behind a more experienced O Line.
boognish_bear
Blake Lynch showing up here

Banned BarleyMcDougal
boognish_bear said:

Blake Lynch showing up here

I think Lynch is gonna be a national surprise this year. The linebacking core should be dang good.
boognish_bear
DanaDane
PFF loves Charlie because they base things on, you know, actual statistics. The mags or websites trying to sell subscriptions always have him as 4th best QB because there are a helluva lot more UT, ISU and OU fans.
MilliVanilli
Brewer is probably the most intelligent in terms of football IQ.
boognish_bear
Aberzombie1892
DanaDane said:

PFF loves Charlie because they base things on, you know, actual statistics. The mags or websites trying to sell subscriptions always have him as 4th best QB because there are a helluva lot more UT, ISU and OU fans.
To be fair, there is a difference between being fantastic on paper in college and being primed for the NFL in college. While those two concepts are not mutually exclusive, they are misunderstood among average football fans and that frequently leads to them being conflated when they should not be.

As an example of this, below are the QBR rankings for the top 8 Big 12 QBs in 2018 (all in top 50 of QBR):
1. Kyler Murray
2. Will Grier
3. Taylor Cornelius
4. Sam Ehlinger
5. Brock Purdy
6. Charlie Brewer
7. Alan Bowman
8. Skylar Thompson

Simply removing the departing QBs and moving the remaining QBs upward has Charlie Brewer in 3rd place. That does not mean that Charlie Brewer is not developing into a more attractive potential NFL QB than the two QBs above him, however, at the same time, it would not be unreasonable to expect those two QBs to have better college seasons based on their performances in the prior season.
4th and Inches
boognish_bear said:

great! Those covers always work well...
REvansBU71
Gruvin said:

boognish_bear said:

Exactly
Pecos 45
My only fear is that Charlie is too willing to tuck the ball, run, and take some vicious hits.
I worry that he won't finish the season if he keeps that up.
He had a concussion last year as I recall.

(Then again, I didn't play college ball, so what the hell do I know?)
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Aliceinbubbleland
If only he had completed one of those two last passes into the UT endzone last year . He would be on the cover.
boognish_bear
Pecos 45 said:

My only fear is that Charlie is too willing to tuck the ball, run, and take some vicious hits.

I am hoping this year with a more seasoned offensive line he doesn't feel the need to run for his life as much.... although he is sneaky damn good at it
Banned BarleyMcDougal
I've harped on this before, but DCTF is all about selling magazines. And to be honest, it's an irrelevant publication now anyway. Greg Tepper is a lackluster managing editor.
BUbearinARK
REvansBU71 said:

Gruvin said:

boognish_bear said:

Exactly
I hope he hears the meh.
boognish_bear
Pecos 45
BarleyMcDougal said:

I've harped on this before, but DCTF is all about selling magazines. And to be honest, it's an irrelevant publication now anyway. Greg Tepper is a lackluster managing editor.
When you beat the #3 team in the country (from the storied SEC no less) in the Sugar Bowl, then you deserve to be on the cover.
Let Charlie win some big games and he will be there, but right now Sam has the hides on the wall.
Malcolm Forbes
BearlyBeloved
Aliceinbubbleland said:

If only he had completed one of those two last passes into the UT end zone last year . He would be on the cover.
If only our O-line had been able to protect him on either of those two plays.

Banned BarleyMcDougal
Pecos 45 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

When you beat the #3 team in the country (from the storied SEC no less) in the Sugar Bowl, then you deserve to be on the cover.
Let Charlie win some big games and he will be there, but right now Sam has the hides on the wall.
They're just about keeping the magazine afloat. Period. It's going to be dead in a few years anyway.
Pecos 45
BarleyMcDougal said:

They're just about keeping the magazine afloat. Period. It's going to be dead in a few years anyway.
So, rooting for someone's failure?
Malcolm Forbes
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Pecos 45 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

So, rooting for someone's failure?
I don't particularly care other than to point out the truth in the matter. I haven't bought a DCTF in over a decade. Magazines like that are dead in the water, regardless of them trying to prop it.
Johnny Bear
Pecos 45 said:

Given our track record with QBs over the last several seasons, your fear is well founded. If I'm not mistaken, 2013 was the last season we didn't have our starting QB miss one or more games through the course of the season due to injury.
Beartrack
If Charlie gets the long ball down, he will be one the top 2-3 in the country. He is great as he is, but that is his only deficit as a QB. A little improvement there and our offense explodes, our running game explodes.
Shakesbear
Aberzombie1892 said:

DanaDane said:

To be fair, there is a difference between being fantastic on paper in college and being primed for the NFL in college. While those two concepts are not mutually exclusive, they are misunderstood among average football fans and that frequently leads to them being conflated when they should not be.

As an example of this, below are the QBR rankings for the top 8 Big 12 QBs in 2018 (all in top 50 of QBR):
1. Kyler Murray
2. Will Grier
3. Taylor Cornelius
4. Sam Ehlinger
5. Brock Purdy
6. Charlie Brewer
7. Alan Bowman
8. Skylar Thompson

Simply removing the departing QBs and moving the remaining QBs upward has Charlie Brewer in 3rd place. That does not mean that Charlie Brewer is not developing into a more attractive potential NFL QB than the two QBs above him, however, at the same time, it would not be unreasonable to expect those two QBs to have better college seasons based on their performances in the prior season.
While the ultimate goal of many college QB's is to actually make it in the NFL, being "primed for the NFL" is not a concern for me. There have been a lot of great college QB's that never really made it in the NFL, and that's OK. I'm not a big fan of the NFL. Bryce Petty and Major Applewhite come to mind. Shoot, you can even throw in Vince Young and RG3. Those guys were just winners in college football. As for the college fan, it's all about the "W's", not whether or not a QB's talents translate well to the NFL. I like Charlie a lot, and maybe he will make it in the NFL, but as a Baylor fan, I just want to win on Saturdays (and Thursdays)
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.