Football
Sponsored by

Baylor Stadium-- Ticketless with Apple wallet

3,115 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
Sic Em Bears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coolness

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/10/apple-wallet-to-support-contactless-tickets-at-select-college-stadiums-this-fall

Ticketing service Paciolan on Monday announced upcoming support for contactless tickets in Apple Wallet, which will allow fans to enter college stadiums using their iPhone and Apple Watch later this fall.

Set to roll out in time for the 2019 football season, contactless tickets in Apple Wallet will be offered at Baylor University, Louisiana State University, Michigan State University, University of Mississippi, Georgia Tech and Rutgers University, according to Paciolan.

While not confirmed, today's press release suggests the technology could debut at other collegiate sports venues in the U.S.

"iPhone and Apple Watch make going to college sports games easier than ever," Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey said in a prepared statement. "We've said our goal is to replace the physical wallet and students and fans will love the convenience and security of having their tickets right on the Apple devices they carry with them every day."

Like contactless ticketing solutions used at professional sporting events, airports and concerts, Paciolan's integration with Apple Wallet allows iPhone and Apple Watch owners to securely access digital tickets from their device.

Purchased tickets are delivered to customer devices via text message and subsequently stored in Wallet. Leveraging geolocation and beacon technology, the system detects when a user arrives at the stadium and automatically displays the associated ticket on an iPhone or Apple Watch lock screen. Tapping the device on an NFC reader handheld or embedded in a turnstile redeems the ticket to grant entry.

In addition to reducing fraud suffered by other ticketing processes, contactless technology streamlines the user experience by enabling easy transfers or gifting. Paciolans' backend affords fans the ability to transfer tickets using a participating school's official athletics website.

Apple is quickly building out its digital Wallet solution with attractive features that in some cases makes iPhone and Apple Watch indispensable in everyday life. Last October, for example, the company activated new NFC technology that allows students to use their devices as an ID and building key.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sweet!!! I must be cutting edge. I have been ticketless for two seasons already.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
sahen
I hope our system is ready for this. Seems like they still haven't perfected the barcode scanners yet.
Sailor Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sweet!!! I must be cutting edge. I have been ticketless for two seasons already.
You can be an insufferable btch, but I'll admit it - that was funny.
BUbackerinET
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sarcasm noted...
GrowlTowel
Bearish said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

You can be an insufferable btch, but I'll admit it - that was funny.
Good bull is always good bull. Regardless of the topic or the orator.

Well played.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Sic Em Bears
You had a ticket from the ticket office texted to you?
SchuBear
sahen said:

I hope our system is ready for this. Seems like they still haven't perfected the barcode scanners yet.
This looks to incorporate the NFC system, like Apple Pay. Nothing to scan. You could use an Apple Watch as well.
sahen
SchuBear said:

sahen said:

This looks to incorporate the NFC system, like Apple Pay. Nothing to scan. You could use an Apple Watch as well.
Yeah - I just hope our system is ready for NFC. You would think barcode scanning would be simple, but there has been issues every year with it.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sic Em Bears said:

You had a ticket from the ticket office texted to you?

Go Bears! Beat those feisty Lumberjacks!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
historian
Sounds great. But with e-tickets I've been able to do this at McLane & the Ferrell Center for years. True, it's still a bar code and the readers don't always work perfectly the first time but I always did get in to see the game. And I'm glad to say I've been fortunate to see all lots of football, MBB, & WBB over the past few years. But what may have been the best game was free: the watch party at the Ferrell Center on April 7 when the Lady Bears defeated ND for the National Championship.

Sic 'em Bears!!
hodedofome
The more we get rid of the need to carry around paper, the better. It's obsolete this day and age.

Not sure why we still need a plastic drivers license or paper social security card either.
FWBear91
Sounds great until you realize you car charger has a short and you get to the game with your iPhone battery dead.
historian
FWBear91 said:

Sounds great until you realize you car charger has a short and you get to the game with your iPhone battery dead.
Hopefully, the Baylor fan savvy enough to go digital will also be smart enough to keep the phone charged. If my battery is low, I will charge it in the car while driving to Waco.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.