Football
Sponsored by

How Matt Rhule came to grips with the RPO game as a smash-mouth coach

16,117 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
S11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Oldbear83 said:

Not going to open that can of worms again.

Note that I give credit to Rhule for 2018, but any honest evaluation has to balance that with poor results in 2017.

My opinion, but I'm far from alone.

1- So you won't argue any specific games other than those two?

2- Nobody is happy with 2017 but context does matter
historian
Timbear said:

Rhule hasn't proven he can win in the Big 12 until he beats Texas and TCU. He'll Never beat Ok. Only the great Art Briles has EVER done that in Baylor football history, and he did it 3 times in a 4 year stretch.
True, only Briles has done that but I do believe Baylor will beat them again some day. I even think that a Rhule-coached team is capable of doing that. It's probably not likely to happen this year and it probably will take some time but it definitely is possible.
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Rhule lost several games he should never have lost in 2017.

That's undeniable.

He showed tremendous improvement in 2018.

Also undeniable.

I could really care less about what happened in 2017.
It's just as relevant as what happened in 2018.
SATXBear
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

More winning, less projecting. Put it on paper.

I thought he did win last season?
He improved certainly, but the goal is double-digit wins followed by bowl wins.

On a regular basis.

Says who? Briles was certainly not going to achieve that anymore.
Briles did more to achieve that than any other Baylor coach.

Hate him all you want, Briles made Baylor relevant to the national playoff discussion.

Maybe Rhule will, we shall see.

No one hates Briles. You seem to hate Rhule. The reality is Briles also had more institutional support than any Baylor coach ever had. It does not take away from his accomplishments.
Oldbear83
S11 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Note that I give credit to Rhule for 2018, but any honest evaluation has to balance that with poor results in 2017.

1 - you know full well what happens if someone brings up Rhule's faceplant start at Baylor. Aside from noting it happened, there is nothing to gain from going there again

2 - and the context is that 2017 is just as relevant as 2018. I definitely believe in Rhule, but his record is what he earned here. There's good to come, I am sure, but pretending the mistakes did not happen is irrational.
S11
Staff
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

Relevant? Debatable

As reliable of an indicator? Doubtful given roster issues
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.

Briles did more to achieve that than any other Baylor coach.

Hate him all you want, Briles made Baylor relevant to the national playoff discussion.

Maybe Rhule will, we shall see.

No one hates Briles. You seem to hate Rhule. The reality is Briles also had more institutional support than any Baylor coach ever had. It does not take away from his accomplishments.
1. I don't hate Rhule, and I don't excuse Briles' handling of the sexual assault cases.

2. I don't go only to extremes, but consider the bad and good from each coach.

3. There are people here who get very upset if you talk bad about their idols.
SATXBear
S11 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.

I don't agree but at minimum it's a debate.

That debate is also completely pointless at this point.

I'm glad Rhule has that goal and we'll all have some fun fall saturdays if he reaches it

True
I just get tired of Baylor fans trying to compare Briles' situation to Rhule's. Completely different and unfair. Also 2017 was a throw away season essentially after the scandal.
S11
Staff
Oldbear83 said:

S11 said:

Oldbear83 said:

1 - you know full well what happens if someone brings up Rhule's faceplant start at Baylor. Aside from noting it happened, there is nothing to gain from going there again

2 - and the context is that 2017 is just as relevant as 2018. I definitely believe in Rhule, but his record is what he earned here. There's good to come, I am sure, but pretending the mistakes did not happen is irrational.

1- You said: "Rhule lost several games he should never have lost in 2017."

I granted two. Stand by the others and name them

2- As I mentioned in another post-
Relevant? Maybe as much as 18
As reliable of an indicator of future outcomes? Doubtful given injury and roster issues

I am not pretending mistakes didn't happen. I broke down several on Premium subscriber previews. It if you are gonna argue he should have won specific games it would be helpful to name them.
SATXBear
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

Not really. Rhule inherited a disaster in 2017. Anyone who forms their opinion of Rhule based on 2017 is a moron.
S11
Staff
SATXBear said:

S11 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.

I'm glad Rhule has that goal and we'll all have some fun fall saturdays if he reaches it

True
I just get tired of Baylor fans trying to compare Briles' situation to Rhule's. Completely different and unfair. Also 2017 was a throw away season essentially after the scandal.

1- It's both natural and unfair to compare the last two seasons to the mid-2012 to Early 2016 years. 2008-2009 would be more fair.

2- 2017 should have been a 3-5 win team but squandered early games and didn't pull an upset or two. Tons of roster issues there capping their potential.
SATXBear
S11 said:

SATXBear said:

S11 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.

True

1- It's both natural and unfair to compare the last two seasons to the mid-2012 to Early 2016 years. 2008-2009 would be more fair.

2- 2017 should have been a 3-5 win team but squandered early games and didn't pull an upset or two. Tons of roster issues there capping their potential.

Agree on 1 and 2. Rhule was learning about the Big 12 and faced massive roster hurdles. He adjusted in 2018 and the roster is improving. He is best judged by his next two years.
historian
SATXBear said:

Also 2017 was a throw away season essentially after the scandal.

So true. There really is no point in bringing up 2017 because it's an anomaly. I don't seriously expect they will increase the number of wins by 6 again, but I do expect at least 1-2 additional wins compared to 2018. That is doable.
S11
Staff
historian said:

SATXBear said:

So true. There really is no point in bringing up 2017 because it's an anomaly. I don't seriously expect they will increase the number of wins by 6 again, but I do expect at least 1-2 additional wins compared to 2018. That is doable.

Given the schedule it's expected to hit at least 7 wins before the bowl
SATXBear
historian said:

SATXBear said:

Agree. That is a fair assessment.
Oldbear83
S11 said:

Oldbear83 said:

S11 said:

Oldbear83 said:

1- You said: "Rhule lost several games he should never have lost in 2017."

I granted two. Stand by the others and name them

2- As I mentioned in another post-
Relevant? Maybe as much as 18
As reliable of an indicator of future outcomes? Doubtful given injury and roster issues

I am not pretending mistakes didn't happen. I broke down several on Premium subscriber previews. It if you are gonna argue he should have won specific games it would be helpful to name them.

Look at what has happened already. If I bring up what Rhule screwed up in 2017, what do you think happens? I already said he has improved so there's no point to doing more than accepting my point or disagreeing as you choose.
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

Not really. Rhule inherited a disaster in 2017. Anyone who forms their opinion of Rhule based on 2017 is a moron.
Go back and note that I gave Rhule credit for 2018.

I don't take just one year and call it the whole picture.
BUbearinARK
I didn't come here to see a bunch of grey poupons argue. I wanted some real discussion about a cool article/ interview.
MilliVanilli
Timbear said:

Rhule hasn't proven he can win in the Big 12 until he beats Texas and TCU. He'll Never beat Ok. Only the great Art Briles has EVER done that in Baylor football history, and he did it 3 times in a 4 year stretch.
Never go full ******, it undermines your obvious trolling. Although you just can't help yourself since a Caber never wastes an opportunity to try and pretend a 3A high school castoff is relevant.

Rhule beat Penn State at TEMPLE, he can beat anyone in the Big 12 when he gets a squad that plays on all cylinders.

BearN
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

The 1-11 2017 season stopped being relevant when we signed one the highest ranked recruiting classes in the history of Baylor football in December of 2017. Let it go. Teenage boys didn't give a ***** They signed to come to Baylor . It's frankly pathetic that supposedly grown men still get their panties in a wad about it.
Oldbear83
BearN said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

The 1-11 2017 season stopped being relevant when we signed one the highest ranked recruiting classes in the history of Baylor football in December of 2017. Let it go. Teenage boys didn't give a ***** They signed to come to Baylor . It's frankly pathetic that supposedly grown men still get their panties in a wad about it.
All history is relevant.

I note both the good and the bad.

I bet Rhule does, too.
MilliVanilli
Oldbear83 said:

BearN said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

That's undeniable.

Also undeniable.

All history is relevant.

I note both the good and the bad.

I bet Rhule does, too.
When you go 7-6 and win a bowl, 1-11 after taking over a decimated circus is irrelevant to anything other than the fact that the program is clearly progressing.

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 in Dallas and it was irrelevant the moment they we're 7-9 the next season and progressively better every year after.

historian
Oldbear83 said:

All history is relevant.
I must agree and not for professional reasons only.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ImwithBU
MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

Never go full ******, it undermines your obvious trolling. Although you just can't help yourself since a Caber never wastes an opportunity to try and pretend a 3A high school castoff is relevant.

Rhule beat Penn State at TEMPLE, he can beat anyone in the Big 12 when he gets a squad that plays on all cylinders.

Well that was a mediocre Penn State team with a 7-6 record to prove it. he did win that game and gets credit but lets not act as if that was some Juggernaut win. Especially when you consider beating UT and OU, as underwhelming since they were have "down years." Obviously Penn State was having down years with back to back 7-6 records following the Joe Pa situation.

I hope you are right that Rhule can beat anyone in Big 12, but as the previous coach would say "Put that on paper" Talk is cheap and Rhule has talking down in spades. Time to produce, recruiting is supposedly great, he has his guys in place. Good thing about playing all those "young players" is they all have experience now. This is year 3 of the defense instillation, no more excuses. More wins and less talking about it
SATXBear
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

Well that was a mediocre Penn State team with a 7-6 record to prove it. he did win that game and gets credit but lets not act as if that was some Juggernaut win. Especially when you consider beating UT and OU, as underwhelming since they were have "down years." Obviously Penn State was having down years with back to back 7-6 records following the Joe Pa situation.

I hope you are right that Rhule can beat anyone in Big 12, but as the previous coach would say "Put that on paper" Talk is cheap and Rhule has talking down in spades. Time to produce, recruiting is supposedly great, he has his guys in place. Good thing about playing all those "young players" is they all have experience now. This is year 3 of the defense instillation, no more excuses. More wins and less talking about it

You sound like you would be a lot of fun at a party.
MilliVanilli
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

It's funny how the only people repeating this faux notion excuses are being made are Cabers, otherwise Rhule is simply implementing his system, recruiting well, and showing steady progress on the football field with a young and talented team that needed more experience and time in the weight room.

He's already won a bowl, barring injury he'll win another and with a better overall record.
ImwithBU
MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

It's funny how the only people repeating this faux notion excuses are being made are Cabers, otherwise Rhule is simply implementing his system, recruiting well, and showing steady progress on the football field with a young and talented team that needed more experience and time in the weight room.

He's already won a bowl, barring injury he'll win another and with a better overall record.
Say what you want, but Rhule has made excuses, just go watch some of the post games interviews... Anyways you like this Cabers term dont you. You know one can like Briles and still support Rhule. Me buying season tickets proves that. I hope you are right about a better record this year. My point remains the same, more action and less talking about out toughing people and playing hard. You play to win the game.
MilliVanilli
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

Say what you want, but Rhule has made excuses, just go watch some of the post games interviews... Anyways you like this Cabers term dont you. You know one can like Briles and still support Rhule. Me buying season tickets proves that. I hope you are right about a better record this year. My point remains the same, more action and less talking about out toughing people and playing hard. You play to win the game.
I know Cabers hate being called out, but you make it so easy to call a spade a spade.

You're a unique creature if you support Rhule as a Caber...and have an especially unique way of showing support by jumping on mythical excuse making for a team rebuilding after a complete disaster.

Just don't try and jump back on the bandwagon once it gets rolling, that's all the integrity I ask for.

He's in year three and progressing nicely, the handwringing is just ridiculousness on your part.
Bear8084
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

But there was action...in just year 2.
SATXBear
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

You have a real simpleton attitude when it comes to football fandom. Chill out and enjoy the ride dude.
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

You have a real simpleton attitude when it comes to football fandom. Chill out and enjoy the ride dude.
You might want to remind Milli that he doesn't get to decide who are "real" fans while you're talking about attitudes.
historian
2017: 1-11
2018: 7-6 with Texas Bowl victory over SEC "powerhouse"

CMR has done great things already at Baylor and we have every reason to expect more of same. That does not diminish one iota the amazing accomplishments of CAB: a long list of unprecedented achievements that I won't repeat here now.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
SATXBear
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

You might want to remind Milli that he doesn't get to decide who are "real" fans while you're talking about attitudes.

I don't know milli. Sounds like you do though.
LiBeartarian
MilliVanilli said:

historian said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

On a regular basis.
It's kind of hard to do that in only 2 years (probably impossible). At least we are on a trajectory to do that, or least it seems so. I fully expect this year will have more wins than last year and I would not be too surprised if we get 9-10 this year.
Barring a major injury bug, 9 to 10 wins is the expectation. This team is talented enough to go to the Alamo Bowl.
Must be some good stuff you are smoking....
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

Timbear said:

I don't know milli. Sounds like you do though.
Like I know the cinch bugs going after my roses in the front garden ...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.