Football
Sponsored by

Baylor Top 3

6,236 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by McCavebear
BaylorRocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Baylor football program will finish in the BigXII Top 3 conference standings this season. Take it to the bank.

Discuss....
historian
It's certainly possible but I think doing that well would likely depend on winning 3 of the 4 games in November and as much as I yearn for wins over Texas &/or Oklahoma I'm not sure that's going to happen this year. On the other hand, if we win everything but those two....
boognish_bear
Very possible. We should be 6-0 heading into Stillwater in week 7.

I want to see at least 8 wins before bowl season and some road wins other than KU....hopefully one in Ft. Worth.
historian
boognish_bear said:

I want to see at least 8 wins before bowl season and some road wins other than KU....hopefully one in Ft. Worth.
Agreed. In my mind, the most difficult road games will be in Stillwater & Ft Worth--and both are very winnable. I also think we should be able to win every home game before November. That's 8 wins any way you cut it.
ShooterTX
zunooreo said:

The Baylor football program will finish in the BigXII Top 3 conference standings this season. Take it to the bank.

Discuss....

I think our competition will be Iowa State and TCU. Probably not the year for Okie State, definitely not West Virginia or Texas Tech. I think we have a great shot.

boognish_bear
ShooterTX said:

zunooreo said:

Discuss....

I think our competition will be Iowa State and TCU. Probably not the year for Okie State, definitely not West Virginia or Texas Tech. I think we have a great shot.

I know Iowa St has some big losses to replace with David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler headed to the NFL. Glad to see those guys gone.
Wichitabear
I believe just the opposite. We beat TCU and don't sleep on OK ST
Redbrickbear
zunooreo said:

Discuss....
I hope so
Stranger
zunooreo said:

Discuss....

To which bank should we be taking it?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
zunooreo said:

Discuss....
Beto will finish in the Top 3 Democratic Party nominee standings this election season. Take it to the bank.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
historian
zunooreo said:

Discuss....
And next year Baylor will play in the conference Championship game! That would be a nice progression for CMR.
MrGolfguy
zunooreo said:

The Baylor football program will finish in the BigXII Top 3 conference standings this season.

Discuss....
Should be one of the team goals; doing it isn't a given however, will be tough.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
ShooterTX
Wichitabear said:

I believe just the opposite. We beat TCU and don't sleep on OK ST
Honestly, it seems hard to know with these two. Both are on the road this year. Both have coaches who can deliver. Both have questions at the QB this season. I only give the nod to TCU because they beat us last year with their defense, and Okie St always relies on their offense to win. While TCU has a lot of people to replace on defense, that has never really been a problem for them. I think Delton will do OK at TCU, which (as we learned last year) could be enough to win. Okie St has no other option, but to win with an excellent QB. They have some talent at QB, but they are both untested in the OSU offense. Actually, OSU has a new OC, so everything is new in Stillwater. In short, I think both teams will make a good amount of mistakes on offense. The big difference is that TCU will probably have the defense to cover for those mistakes. If our offense doesn't take a big step forward, then TCU at Amon Carter will be a bloody, battle of attrition.

Consider this too: Last year we played both at home. We had Brewer in for the entire game vs TCU. There were 2 bad fumbles, but it was the TCU defense that shutdown our running game.
Brewer came into the OSU game in the 3rd quarter. Brewer was enough to overcome the deficit that McLendon put us into, and win the game. Brewer couldn't get a win vs TCU even though he had the entire game, and all of his key players. We beat OSU despite a McLendon INT in the endzone (I doubt Brewer would have done that), a couple of terrible McLendon throws in the redzone, missed FGs, more bad McLendon throws, some bad McLendon scrambles for loss, a horrible fake FG,... Brewer took over with a few seconds on the clock in the 3rd, and down by 10 points. We had at least 3 chances to score in the first 3 quarters, but came away with 0 points from those redzone attempts. It would be hard to convince me that Brewer wouldn't have at least come away with 7pts out of 3 attempts. Probably more like 14 or 17. This year we will play OSU with Brewer for the entire game. That is a huge difference, that we don't get in our match-up with TCU.
historian
All good points, Shooter. Something that should help this year for Charlie & any QB (true for RGIII, Nick Florence, Bryce Petty, Seth Russell, Zach Smith too): our OL should be able to protect the QB better this year & also open up some running lanes for the RB's.
Wichitabear
Ok guys, I can't argue with those great points. But just deep down, gut feeling, we are going to beat TCU!
historian
Wichitabear said:

Ok guys, I can't argue with those great points. But just deep down, gut feeling, we are going to beat TCU!
Yes! We should have done so in 2018 (2016 & 2017 too). It is owed us and they are due another loss to Baylor.
ShooterTX
Wichitabear said:

I hope we beat 'em all!! Let's go to the freakin' Big12 championship game!
Bring on Jerrys World!!!
gold rewards
12 - 0
Stranger
gold rewards said:

12 - 0

Guess it depends on whether Coach Jekyll or Coach Hyde shows up this season.
bunation
While I certainly don't agree w the Jeckyll/Hyde metaphor for our coaching staff, I do see some reasonable correlation with our defense. We would have several great defensive series, then give up a ridiculous chunk play.

To step up from last year's surprising leap over 2017, we will need a lot more push from our offensive line & a lot less drive/momentum-killing penalties, as well as a huge reduction in defensive fails.
BaylorRocks
Good dialog.
Timbear
Snow's D will have to improve massively for the top 3 prediction to come true.
Iron Claw
boognish_bear said:

We all know how easy wins come in Stilly. Some of my biggest football disappointments have come there.
JohnProctor
zunooreo said:

Discuss....
I like it, but unrealistic. 6 or 7 wins... is my bet with 3 of them being inferior competition. Most Baylor fans will be thrilled because they get to watch a bowl game. But I am not wanting that... I like your call better, but I just don't see how.

historian
It's easy to speculate as to how we get more wins: start at 6-0, which is very possible. Then we only need to win 2-3 more games which is also very possible. West Virginia is a game we should win: it's at home on a Thursday (Reformation Day), they have a new HC & a new QB, we will want some payback for last year (really, the last 3), and the crowd will be stoked. The only home game I think we have a chance of losing in the first half of the season is Iowa State and that is one we definitely can win if the team improves as much this year as it did last--and for much the same reasons.

That only leaves the November games and I think we have a shot at winning at least two: Kansas & either TCU or Texas--preferably both. Heck, we even have a shot at beating Oklahoma although that's a long shot.

If all my speculation & dreams play out, we will have 8-9 wins. I don't know if that will make us #3 in the Big 12 but it certainly could happen considering how competitive the conference is. This year is ideally suited for Baylor to have a good run.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BaylorRocks
Good dialog
BaylorRocks
Athlon Sports agrees....

Big 12 Football 2019 Predictions
historian
Pre-season projections for MBB was 9th in conference in 2018-19 and they finished 4th. If our football team can beat the projections similarly then we will have a great year. No, I don't expect we will win the Big 12 Championship (although it is possible). I do think we have a chance to finish 4th or 5th in the conference.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
4th and Inches
Stranger said:

zunooreo said:

Discuss....

To which bank should we be taking it?
the bank of the Brazos river!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
dave714
Vegas has BU at 6.5 wins.
BaylorRocks
historian
Good thing I don't care what Vegas says. I think we can get to 8 or more.
McCavebear
I want at least Alamo Bowl this year!
McCavebear Lives!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.