Football
Sponsored by

Interesting story in Forbes magazine about Texas Tech

3,505 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sampi82
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some eye-popping stats on revenues vs. success.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timcasey/2019/06/18/texas-techs-sports-programs-thrive-despite-trailing-state-rivals-texas-texas-am-in-revenue/#69c600745612
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Amarillobear
TNT has had a good year indeed. Their Big 12 championship total now sits at 24 since the Big 12 was formed and Baylor is at 73. We have a very slight lead on them in terms of success.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Since we decided to give ourselves a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Texas Tech seems to now be going through their golden age of sports.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
xiledinok
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Since we decided to give ourselves a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Texas Tech seems to now be going through their golden age of sports.

How did we shoot ourselves in the head? Our football makes more money and is a hotter program. What sports are they whipping our tails?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

How did we shoot ourselves in the head? Our football makes more money and is a hotter program. What sports are they whipping our tails?
I thought you were a basketball guy? For the record, their baseball team is still alive in the College World Series.

-- Barack Obama
Malbec
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I thought you were a basketball guy? For the record, their baseball team is still alive in the College World Series.
...and they just won the NC in track. Not a good year to talk smack to them.
xiledinok
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It must be all that Final Four bonus money. The school logo gets put on everything. Using Ian's math, the Heisman trophy is worth $250 million to the school. I figure a Final Four must be worth $750 million using Ian's math.
Schools like OU need to make a Final Four again and sell 2 of their Heisman trophies. They would get out of debt per Ian's math.
Thee University
I think it is great.

If Baylor can't win it all or get all of the positive pub I love seeing Tech, TCU, SMU, Rice or UH getting it. As long as it is not the lumbering, bumbling elephants of A$M or UT who are continuing to struggle and be relevant.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
OldBurlyBear86
xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It must be all that Final Four bonus money. The school logo gets put on everything. Using Ian's math, the Heisman trophy is worth $250 million to the school. I figure a Final Four must be worth $750 million using Ian's math.
Schools like OU need to make a Final Four again and sell 2 of their Heisman trophies. They would get out of debt per Ian's math.
Please explain in detail how the "Canadian" expressly stated that a Heisman is worth $250mm. Please dont use Aggy math.
xiledinok
OldBurlyBear86 said:

xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Please explain in detail how the "Canadian" expressly stated that a Heisman is worth $250mm. Please dont use Aggy math.

He claimed winning a Heisman generated $250 million for the school. Fools were buying that stupidity. I laughed my ass off because I d seen how little it mattered after 2-3 years at Ou.
I don't have the article but it's been confirmed on this board.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Thee University said:

I think it is great.

If Baylor can't win it all or get all of the positive pub I love seeing Tech, TCU, SMU, Rice or UH getting it. As long as it is not the lumbering, bumbling elephants of A$M or UT are continuing to struggle and be relevant.
This was a damn good post! Who the Hell are you, what are you doing on Thee's computer, and what have you done with him?

-- Barack Obama
Malbec
Thee University said:

I think it is great.

If Baylor can't win it all or get all of the positive pub I love seeing Tech, TCU, SMU, Rice or UH getting it. As long as it is not the lumbering, bumbling elephants of A$M or UT who are continuing to struggle and be relevant.
I do too. Unfortunately Owl athletics is as dead as ol' Billy Marsh Rice.
Thee University
Malbec said:

Thee University said:

I think it is great.

My father played a few years for Rice. He was a freshman in 1953 and was sitting in the Cotton Bowl when Tommy Lewis came off the bench and tackled Dicky Moegle.

The Owls were good then.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
whitetrash
Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Thee University said:

I think it is great.

My father played a few years for Rice. He was a freshman in 1953 and was sitting in the Cotton Bowl when Tommy Lewis came off the bench and tackled Dicky Moegle.

The Owls were good then.

Never knew that. My mom was in the stands at that game. And the first house I owned in Houston had previously been one of Dicky Maegle's rent houses.
PartyBear
I thought Rice had a top notch elite baseball program even recently. Is it not?
MilliVanilli
PartyBear said:

I thought Rice had a top notch elite baseball program even recently. Is it not?
It was in the recent past. But it has a new coach and last won Conference USA in 2013.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Texas Tech baseball eliminated Florida State 4-1 yesterday to advance. They get a rematch with Michigan tomorrow at 2:00 p.m.

-- Barack Obama
ShooterTX
This Tech boom reminds me of Baylor in 2010-2015. The fans have been hanging on, waiting for something to celebrate. Now they have it, and they are rallying to the school.
After 2015, BU won't get excited unless we win a conference championship in football or a national championship in MBB or Baseball. Winning another national championship in WBB or anything other than the big 3... just isn't going to move the needle.
Perhaps that is too strong. I suppose if we get to 10 wins this season in football... that would be enough to move the needle regardless of our ranking in the conference. If we make it to Jerrys World in December.... we are gonna get naked & set our hair on fire!

Sic 'em!!
LiBeartarian
xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Another winning comment by X proving that IQ is over rated.
whitetrash
ShooterTX said:

This Tech boom reminds me of Baylor in 2010-2015.
Actually, it's more like our initial boomlet in the mid 2000s. Men's tennis natty in 2004. WBB in 2005. Baseball final four in 2005. Both men's and women's tennis got to NCAA championships another time or two. Gave us a little upswing after a decade of ineptitude, but still not a "golden age" (even if GuyMo did win more than 4 games for the only time in a 14 year span)
PartyBear
That is a good analogy Whitetrash.
ShooterTX
whitetrash said:

ShooterTX said:

This Tech boom reminds me of Baylor in 2010-2015.
Actually, it's more like our initial boomlet in the mid 2000s. Men's tennis natty in 2004. WBB in 2005. Baseball final four in 2005. Both men's and women's tennis got to NCAA championships another time or two. Gave us a little upswing after a decade of ineptitude, but still not a "golden age" (even if GuyMo did win more than 4 games for the only time in a 14 year span)

I'll concede that point... but it's just hard to think back on those days... from a CFB perspective.
Texasjeremy
DIRECTORS CUP RANKING IN THE PAST 15 YEARS

Basically, this year (their best ever) Tech will finish about where Baylor is on average.

TEXAS TECH
2004-05: 56
2005-06: NR (was not in the Top 100)
2006-07: 47
2007-08: 44
2008-09: 57
2009-10: 44
2010-11: 48
2011-12: 71
2012-13: 48
2013-14: 59
2014-15: 40
2015-16: 47
2016-17: 65
2017-18: 41
2018-19: 37 (Baseball not yet added in)

BAYLOR
2004-05: 25
2005-06: 32
2006-07: 38
2007-08: 42
2008-09: 33
2009-10: 31
2010-11: 35
2011-12: 25
2012-13: 45
2013-14: 31
2014-15: 23
2015-16: 56
2016-17: 24
2017-18: 43
2018-19: 38 (Baseball not yet added in)
xiledinok
LiBeartarian said:

xiledinok said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Another winning comment by X proving that IQ is over rated.
In 2019? Looks like our ex football coach shot his career in the head. He was the coach and bears a large responsibility. You needed a better example of suicide.
Timbear
X, aka Owned, posts about Art on a thread about TT. Sad, man, sad.
xiledinok
Timbear said:

X, aka Owned, posts about Art on a thread about TT. Sad, man, sad.

How did Baylor shoot ourselves in the head in 2018-2019? Rd2 can answer.
Lib just needed a good example of someone shooting themselves in the head from a general public perception.
Timbear, there's nothing that compares to Dman or Wineguy getting angry.
Sampi82
Thee University said:

Malbec said:

Thee University said:

I think it is great.

The Owls were good then.

My father graduated from Rice in 1956. The Owls were so good then they built a 70K capacity stadium with an enrollment of around 2K at the time. That was prior to Houston having a pro team but shows the local following they had at the time even if by default.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.