Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

ESPN's FPI Matchup Predictor released; Baylor expected to improve in '19

July 8, 2019

ESPN released their preseason FPI rankings for the 2019 college football season and project the Bears to finish the 2019 season with an estimated 8.2-4.0 record, but have the Bears favored to win in nine of 12 regular season games. 

With an FPI of 8.5, Baylor is ranked the No. 29 team nationally and No. 4 team in the conference behind Oklahoma (6), Texas (24) and Iowa State (26). With home games against all three, Baylor is favored in each according to the matchup predictor.

According to ESPN: The Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. Ratings and projections update daily.

According to the FPI, Baylor has a 0.1% chance to go undefeated and a 6.4% chance to win the Big 12 Championship. Oklahoma leads the Big 12 with a 69.7% chance to win another championship. 

Premium Content until August 25 for $1.00!

Baylor vs. SFA — 99.5%
Baylor vs. UTSA — 95.8%
Baylor at Rice — 97.4%
Baylor vs. Iowa State — 56.1%
Baylor at Kansas State — 63.0%
Baylor vs. Texas Tech — 68.1%

Baylor at Oklahoma State — 42.0%
Baylor vs. West Virginia — 79.2%
Baylor at TCU — 46.2%
Baylor vs. Oklahoma — 26.8%
Baylor vs. Texas — 53.2%
Baylor at Kansas — 88.2%

Discussion from...

ESPN's FPI Matchup Predictor released; Baylor expected to improve in '19

5,238 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Grizz Air
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read OU favored, but I may be reading it wrong.
Wichitabear
I'm just shocked!
Grizz Air
Russell Gym said:

I read OU favored, but I may be reading it wrong.

yeah, they made a typo. land thieves have the odds going for them to beat us, not the other way around. still, i will take our 26%!
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.