Football
Sponsored by

Matt Rhule on being at Baylor for a long time

12,208 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RegentCoverup
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
whitetrash
Sounds like a quote from a graduate of the Tommy Tuberville School of Restaurant Etiquette.
Dman
All we can ask is Just keep improving and winning. Leave us better than you found us. He had nothing to do with the chaos our BOR created. Coaches today are hired guns. Nothing more. We can fire them. They can leave. Works both ways.
Redbrickbear
Let me translate.

"I might stay at Baylor....I might not.....who knows"

Fine with me.

All coaches are hired guns who will leave when a better offer comes on the table.
Baylor3216
Why do people even spend time thinking or talking about this?
EatMoreSalmon
Baylor3216 said:

Why do people even spend time thinking or talking about this?

PartyBear
Why would Rhule even say this unless he was asked a direct question as to how long he plans to be at Baylor.
ImwithBU
PartyBear said:

Why would Rhule even say this unless he was asked a direct question as to how long he plans to be at Baylor.

He was probably asked about it because of his track record. 2 years at Baylor and 2 years of exploring NFL option. Have a decent year this year and he will be throwing his hat back in the ring.

Still think he choked the first year, probably on purpose. What better way too show just how decimated the team was than losing only to bounce back the next year and will 7 more games. No other way to explain losing to Liberty and UTSA. Its one hell of a boost to one's NFL resume
BUBBFAN
ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

He was probably asked about it because of his track record. 2 years at Baylor and 2 years of exploring NFL option. Have a decent year this year and he will be throwing his hat back in the ring.

Still think he choked the first year, probably on purpose. What better way too show just how decimated the team was than losing only to bounce back the next year and will 7 more games. No other way to explain losing to Liberty and UTSA. Its one hell of a boost to one's NFL resume
Some people just make you scratch your head.
Bear8084
ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

No O-line, transfers, a lost recruiting class, a festering scandal that took quite a toll on everyone involved including players, etc. Those in the know on here and in articles know why 2017 happened and have in depth posted about it, talked about it, broke it down, and analyzed it, and it's not because CMR was doing it on purpose just to score a NFL gig.
ImwithBU
BUBBFAN said:

ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

Some people just make you scratch your head.

They make shampoo for dandruff...
ImwithBU
Bear8084 said:

ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

No O-line, transfers, a lost recruiting class, a festering scandal that took quite a toll on everyone involved including players, etc. Those in the know on here and in articles know why 2017 happened and have in depth posted about it, talked about it, broke it down, and analyzed it, and it's not because CMR was doing it on purpose just to score a NFL gig.
Dude it was Liberty and UTSA, the roster was that depleted. The Oline argument only goes so far. At some point you adjust and get the ball out of the QBs hand faster not have lengthy play action routes
Bear8084
ImwithBU said:

Bear8084 said:

ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

Dude it was Liberty and UTSA, the roster was that depleted. The Oline argument only goes so far. At some point you adjust and get the ball out of the QBs hand faster not have lengthy play action routes

Having things like a center that was just thrown in there at 275 pounds, just learning the system, mistakes are going to be made and it's going to be a long, long, season. No one was tanking anything.
ImwithBU
Bear8084 said:

ImwithBU said:

Bear8084 said:

ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

Having things like a center that was just thrown in there at 275 pounds, just learning the system, mistakes are going to be made and it's going to be a long, long, season. No one was tanking anything.

It was just a theory your probably right. Still doesnt explain those loses
Bear8084
ImwithBU said:

Bear8084 said:

ImwithBU said:

Bear8084 said:

ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

It was just a theory your probably right. Still doesnt explain those loses

Dumb losses happen. It was a perfect mess of a rebuild, a new system, weak O-line, probably not taking them as seriously as needed, complete culture change, etc. It happened, it sucked, it's over. 2017 was a terrible season, but that team did start geling some and there were bright spots here and there.

No coach is going to be graded on one bad loss unless it becomes a habit. It hasn't for CMR and staff and while there needs to be work on both sides of the ball still for sure, I believe they are headed in the right direction.
LTbear
ImwithBU said:

PartyBear said:

If there is any part of you that actually believes this, you are legitimately an absolute idiot.
MilliVanilli
It's weird how the Cabers that hate Rhule so much like to agonize about the idea of him leaving.
boognish_bear
He's gaining lots of HS coach fans with his speech at THSCA

boognish_bear
PartyBear said:

Guess who asked the question....our little friend in Cow Town

CMR's answer is pretty typical coach speak 101 when asked this question...

Baylor best to embrace Matt Rhule while bracing for his future departure to the NFL
BY MAC ENGEL JULY 23, 2019 07:00 AM

ARLINGTON

The only scenario worse for Matt Rhule this offseason would have been had the Arizona Cardinals offered him their head coaching position, but they didn't because he's not pretty enough.

In an offseason battle that did not receive the type of notoriety it warranted, Waco upset New York City on the strength of its glorious "Gut Pack," George's, and our good friends Chip and Joanna.

Why else would Matt Rhule, a native New York-ah himself, elect to remain at Baylor rather than coach the New York Jets?

Answer: Because the J-E-T-S are a M-E-S-S, MESS! MESS! MESS!

When Rhule accepted the Baylor job I always thought he would leave for the NFL. An NFL friend told me Rhule was highly regarded in NFL circles, and it would make sense that he would use Baylor to vault to the land of Giants, but not the Jets.

And Rhule would be wise to leave Baylor, but only for the job he wants, and how he wants it.

WOULD MATT RHULE LEAVE BAYLOR?

I asked Rhule if he could allay the fears of Baylor fans that he is destined to leave their school.

"I'll give you the most real answer I can give you: When I took the job at Baylor I said that I felt we had been called to come to Baylor," he said. "I try to pray about it and meditate about it. Do the things I'm supposed to do.

"I plan on being at Baylor for as long as that's where the Lord wants me to be. If at some point he wants me to do something else, stop coaching, then I'll go do that. There is not a part of me that looks to leave. I really, really like the job. I really like where I live. I like the way my family is being raised and the people that we are around.

"In my coaching career every time I go out in recruiting people say, 'Hey, be careful he's going to be gone next year.' Either because they thought I'd be fired or we'd win and I'd take a job. I'm going to do the best job I can at Baylor. Every day I'm going to wake up and act as if I'm going to be here the next 50 years. And if the time comes where I feel like I'm supposed to do something else, I'll do it and I'll be honest and up front with people.

"But I really like this job. It's a special, special place. It fits me and fits my family and I hope to be there for a while."

Translate that however you want. It's as honest as he can be, while leaving open a Texas-sized window should he want to leave.

As long as Rhule doesn't Nick Saban, or Bobby Petrino, your school is about as good as one can hope these days.

MATT RHULE WAS SMART TO PASS ON THE NEW YORK JETS?

Rhule turned down the Jets' offer to be their head coach because they refused to grant him full power to arrange his coaching staff to his own desires. Rhule called it an arranged marriage.

Of course the Jets would put such stipulations on a coach.

And only desperate coaches accept such stipulations. For example, Wade Phillips did in 2007 when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told him if he wanted to be his head coach, Jason Garrett would be his offensive coordinator.

It's one thing for a team to have a general manager who makes personnel decisions, but quite another for a person who tells the head coach who can and can't be his assistants.

Rhule doesn't need the Jets. He has a good job where he makes a pile of cash in a place where winning eight or nine games will always be warmly received.

WHY MATT RHULE SHOULD LEAVE BAYLOR

If Rhule's dream is to coach in the NFL, he will find his prayers answered one day.

He can go to the NFL, and should that not work out, he has proven he can win on the college level in the hardest of jobs; he won at Temple and Baylor. He can always go back to the college level.

Baylor fans can't begrudge him if he leaves, or looks, for that is the world in which both players and coaches operate: Everyone leaves for a better opportunity. Being angry at this development is akin to throwing a fit at the ocean.

Guys like TCU's Gary Patterson, Iowa's Kirk Ferentz or a few others are no longer the rule. Rhule is the rule.

"If someone gives him an opportunity like that he should respect the opportunity. You never want to burn any bridges," Baylor offensive lineman Sam Tecklenburg said. "When people reach out to you like that, it's the right thing to show them the respect and return the favor.

"It would not surprise me (if Rhule went to the NFL). His style is going to translate to any level. If he's comfortable in what he's done here, and wants to take that next step, he'll fit right in up there."

The New York Jets were not a better opportunity than Baylor football. The Jets are merely a ticket to be fired, with a nice seven figure parting gift.

If he's going to the NFL, he should go to the place he wants to go, where can set it up to his preferences.

College coaches on Rhule's level make enough that they don't need the NFL's money.

Nonetheless, after two years of looking at the NFL, Baylor fans, and administrators, should expect the good Lord will advise Rhule to take an NFL job.

So just take it as a compliment your head ball coach blew off the NFL because he thinks a Gut Pack, George's and Chip and Joanna are better than the Jets.

Because he's right.
gold rewards
Rumor in Longview is that he lost the King kid to A@M because Coach King didn't believe Rhule would be at Baylor in 2 or 3 years. Rumor.
Bubear2020
I would track with you on this if I hadn't worked for the team. I have met very few people who hate losing more than Rhule. He couldn't intentionally loose even he wanted to. There's just a burning desire in him to do everything 100 percent. Does that mean the execution always comes off that way? No! Is he the best coach in the country? No! What I will say his hearts always in the right place sometimes the execution isn't always there. All that being said if I wanted a guy to come coach a team after everything had happened it would be him.
PartyBear
Like it or not Rhule opened the door to this type of chatter after each of his previous seasons. I knew it would start having at least some negative effects. It would really be nice for him to not seek another job after this season, which I expect to be a really good season, and in fact to the opposite publicly declare he has no interest in another job at that time.
Timbear
He has conditioned and convinced the team to think it's a positive thing when their coach tries to leave every year. He had a long answer to a short question.
Redbrickbear
Timbear said:

He has conditioned and convinced the team to think it's a positive thing when their coach tries to leave every year. He had a long answer to a short question.
Yea that is actually a pretty smart strategy.

It keeps the team from panicking. The players come to expect it every year and even come to see it as a positive "people love our coach and want him!"

It under cuts the x, thee, milli, Regent idiot types who think its some kind of horrible unforgivable betrayal of trust thing for a head coach to look for a better offer.

Rhule is a good long term planner.
xiledinok
Redbrickbear said:

Timbear said:

It keeps the team from panicking. The players come to expect it every year and even come to see it as a positive "people love our coach and want him!"

It under cuts the x, thee, milli, Regent idiot types who think its some kind of horrible unforgivable betrayal of trust thing for a head coach to look for a better offer.

There's a big difference between Junior Samples Briles running around after a contract extension searching for a job and a guy like Rhule who is well liked in the NFL and is someone teams might want to hire as their head coach. Rhule makes it clear that he is going to be pursued.

If you think Briles handled anything off the field well compared to Rhule, you need to grab a sweat hog (not even a cute one), head to steamy East Texas to enjoy curry, port-a potties with little toilet paper, rest stops built in 1961, two lane highways and Super 8 suites.
MilliVanilli
Redbrickbear said:

Timbear said:

What's it like thinking internet screen names give a sh*t what you think?

Much less millionaire and billionaire regents?
Dman
xiledinok said:

Redbrickbear said:

Timbear said:

There's a big difference between Junior Samples Briles running around after a contract extension searching for a job and a guy like Rhule who is well liked in the NFL and is someone teams might want to hire as their head coach. Rhule makes it clear that he is going to be pursued.

I'm a HUGE fan of Rhule. He's a stud. Having said that, your an idiot for saying there's a difference between him interviewing after he signed a contact (first year) and Briles signing a contract (extension).

YOU SEE BRILES IN YOUR SLEEP
Stranger
Timbear said:

Floorflusher.

Transient floorflusher.
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

He's gaining lots of HS coach fans with his speech at THSCA

As usual, facts and the real attitude how most people feel about CMR prove the few naysayers wrong. Again, and again.
Timbear
When he interviews again after this year, Rhoades needs to tell him to just go so Baylor can get someone they can count on.
Dman
Timbear said:

When he interviews again after this year, Rhoades needs to tell him to just go so Baylor can get someone they can count on.

Who would that be? Only person who would agree to commit to Baylor after we burned down a nationally relevant program is a sub-par desperate coach.

All coaches are hired guns for rent. All we can ask is for Rhule to leave (if/when) us better than he found us. He didn't create this chaos.
xiledinok
Dman said:

xiledinok said:

Redbrickbear said:

Timbear said:

I'm a HUGE fan of Rhule. He's a stud. Having said that, your an idiot for saying there's a difference between him interviewing after he signed a contact (first year) and Briles signing a contract (extension).

YOU SEE BRILES IN YOUR SLEEP

You see sweat hogs and long drives to Mt. Vernon in your sleep to see a desperate coach try to fight his way back (not happening because no one with a nickel and even borderline IQ can hire and trust one like Briles).
You should be glad Baylor has a head coach the pros actually consider good enough to be their head coach.
Of course the pros are going to call him every year, they ve seen Briles in action and know that stepping into our job is as difficult as any job in America after following Briles.
Dia del DougO
He swears to be at Baylor as long as he has his truck.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Sailor Bear
Dman said:

Timbear said:

Who would that be? Only person who would agree to commit to Baylor after we burned down a nationally relevant program is a sub-par desperate coach.

All coaches are hired guns for rent. All we can ask is for Rhule to leave (if/when) us better than he found us. He didn't create this chaos.
Of course CMR was neither sub-par, nor desperate.
Timbear
Wrong. Any school paying $4M per year will have more applicants than they know what to do with.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.