Football
Sponsored by

Watch: Baylor DC Phil Snow on Spread Offenses: 'Things Might Be Changing'

13,760 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oldbear83
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SATXBear said:

cowboycwr said:

SATXBear said:

cowboycwr said:

SATXBear said:

cowboycwr said:

SATXBear said:

Bear8084 said:

S11 said:

cowboycwr said:

LOL!!!!!!!

You ragged on the BOR all the time and propped up Briles all the time. Had to put you on block for a while you were so ridiculous and biased. You are definitely a CABer.

Wow that was a great laugh.

Offenses will NEVER go back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. High schools across the country have mostly gone to the spread. Most colleges have gone to the spread or some sort of modified version of it.

A few schools still run older style offenses and one of the reasons it works for them is that it is now the unique offense and no one has experience defending against it. Players don't understand/know the wing t so playing that one game against the team that does run it is different for them and hard to read everything in it.

Heck even the NFL is adapting (and has been for years) and the passing game has grown larger and larger with more teams spreading the field more and more.

RBs used to be the stars of the NFL along with QBs. Now they are just plug and play pieces. The stud running back can hold out, demand a trade, etc and the teams just put next man up in and chug right along. However, not with the QB. They need more mobile and pass speedy QBS who know the spread. In the 90s to early 2000s fullbacks were even still big names.

Now I don't think I could name but 2 NFL fullbacks. And one of them I think is an RB who plays FB in goal line packages.

The only difference why the spread is not as big in the NFL as college and below is the speed of players prevents it from taking over as much/ completely.

He isn't claiming the Big 12 going to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He's accurately saying schools like OU, UT, ISU, the new Tech staff, OSU, and others have made use of bigger personnel to stress defenses. Many of those use the same guys in both bigger sets and 4 wide sets. That makes it tougher on defenses to adjust, makes it tougher on DC's to scout tendencies, and still allows the offense to leverage successful spread tactics.

The Pats won the super bowl on a drive where they used I formation personnel to get predictable defensive adjustments and then went Five wide with the same guys.

This, this, this. Just because he said players and certain formation packages are getting bigger doesn't mean they are going back to the power I all the time. Like you said, he is recognizing that these teams are starting to look like power spread teams that can pound and throw the ball with bigger formations while keeping the spread playbook.

Cowboycr is just your typical CABer who is willing to minimize Rhule's success in order to prop up anything remotely associated with Briles. Kinda pathetic.
LOL.

I'm a caber??? That is news to me. Seeing as I have not mentioned him once in this thread. Or defended him or anything like that.

I spent my entire post talking about how more teams are adapting their offenses to include more spread, gave examples and pointed out Snow was wrong.

I get flack though for pointing out that Rhule lost to the mighty powerhouse of Liberty.

Because apparently it is blind support or nothing.

I get flack for pointing out that Rhule will be gone after this year or next when the NFL comes calling with a job he likes.

And then because I do not blindly support the coach I am a caber......

This site is such a good laugh.

Your reputation precedes itself.
Then please provide posts where I have defended CAB, praised him or anything.

I will wait.

And it will be a long wait because I haven't.

Your endless criticism of Baylor, Rhule, BOR and how unfairly Briles was treated became ridiculous. I had you on ignore for several months.

Rhule- yes I criticize him a lot. Liberty. UTSA. 1-11. Flirting with the NFL after both seasons.

BOR- yes. The created, deepened and pushed much of the mess we were/are in.

Baylor- never really criticized the school.

Briles- yes I do think he was/is treated unfairly and given way more blame than he deserves.

But you couldn't provide a single post to back up your claim. Because you have nothing.

Put me on ignore again. I don't care because I know you have nothing against me and can't stand that I am right and pointing out the truth.

There you go proving my point. You have a track record and can't get over the Briles' firing. You will never accept Rhule because you think Briles should have never been fired. That is all your posts essentially revolve around. Your opinions are wrong also. BOR did the right thing getting rid of Briles. School had to move on and clean house top to bottom.
LOL. That is not even close to what I said. At all.

Just do us both a favor and put me on ignore again since you clearly have your mind made up about me, even if it is wrong and you clearly have me confused with someone else.
Timbear
SATXBear is the new BOR errand boy.
xiledinok
Most programs have figured out that the spread by itself leaves a bunch of issues against bigger and strong teams. This is hard to understand for those who have never seen athletes match up with spread offenses.
S11
Staff
xiledinok said:

Most programs have figured out that the spread by itself leaves a bunch of issues against bigger and strong teams. This is hard to understand for those who have never seen athletes match up with spread offenses.

Dont confuse the spread offense with remaining in static personnel groups. Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Auburn have won national titles using modern spreads with varying personnel.

If you are constantly in 10 personnel it's much easier to dissect protection schemes and use junk defenses against the run. Going to 11, 12, or 20 personnel provides some options while still being flexible enough to stress them in the air.
xiledinok
S11 said:

xiledinok said:

Dont confuse the spread offense with remaining in static personnel groups. Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Auburn have won national titles using modern spreads with varying personnel.

If you are constantly in 10 personnel it's much easier to dissect protection schemes and use junk defenses against the run. Going to 11, 12, or 20 personnel provides some options while still being flexible enough to stress them in the air.
I thought our biggest problem with Briles' offense was the fact we never used varying personnel groups. I like the fact Nixon is going to use tight ends and H-Backs. I thought OU did a good job mixing it up the past few seasons.
I think our roster has enough talent to give teams different looks on offense.

Pretty excited about this season and I have complete faith we will adjust to the offenses on defense.
S11
Staff
xiledinok said:

S11 said:

xiledinok said:

I thought our biggest problem with Briles' offense was the fact we never used varying personnel groups. I like the fact Nixon is going to use tight ends and H-Backs. I thought OU did a good job mixing it up the past few seasons.
I think our roster has enough talent to give teams different looks on offense.

Pretty excited about this season and I have complete faith we will adjust to the offenses on defense.

Briles did a good job of mixing in 11 and 12 personnel for the run game but the TEs were such a glorified OL it was hard to treat them as a consistent receiving threat.
SATXBear
Timbear said:

SATXBear is the new BOR errand boy.

Of all posters on Sic'em, it warms my heart that I offend you. You made my day.
Timbear
I'm sure Saxtbear's check from the corrupt, all powerful BOR, is in the mail.
SATXBear
Timbear said:

I'm sure Saxtbear's check from the corrupt, all powerful BOR, is in the mail.

At least I support Baylor unlike you. So glad you quit trolling the premium site. You are the worst. Glad the feeling is mutual.
Timbear
Relax. Saxt. Don't use all your bullets so early. The season's just getting started.
MilliVanilli
Timbear said:

Relax. Saxt. Don't use all your bullets so early. The season's just getting started.
what a boring troll, you're inducing yawns.
SATXBear
Timbear said:

No worries. I will be cheering on a coach Rhule Baylor football team this season and enjoying the analysis on the premium board. You instead will continue to pout about Art Briles on the free board and continue to be the angry old man you are.
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Timbear said:

Hey, relax, Saxt. Lincoln Riley ain't crying about it. Where do you read Briles in that opinion?

You have a track record.
On that point, so do you.

SATXBear
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Timbear said:

Hey, relax, Saxt. Lincoln Riley ain't crying about it. Where do you read Briles in that opinion?

You have a track record.

As long as it is the opposite yours.
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Timbear said:

You have a track record.

Even when I am right, apparently.
SATXBear
Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Timbear said:

You have a track record.

Ha, Ha
That's the problem. You and Timbear have never been right.
Oldbear83
SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

SATXBear said:

Timbear said:

You have a track record.

Ha, Ha
That's the problem. You and Timbear have never been right.
We have been right on more than a few occasions. That's going to cause you problems, you know.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.